Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 3 months of sitting on my purchase.

ItinerantItinerant Member UncommonPosts: 89

In a obviously growing trend, I contacted my credit card and had the funds reversed, for this poorly handled pre-order. I didn't buy this game to play beta, and haven't played but maybe a total of 3 hours. Regardless of the state of the game, they stated the game boxes to be shipped out in Sept.

Lame argument from the fanbois, to ask "why would I want a boxed beta disc?".

That is hardly the issue. The issue is simply that they have had my money long enough, and today was the final day I had to dispute the charges. My credit card has a 3 month limit, and that day was today. I feel it would be of high risk to my money at this point, to let them seal the deal financially, in hopes that the game releases soon, if at all, before they go belly up. Im not here to argue thier finacial state, and whether they will release thier game before running out of funds, which the player base has paid for. With the growing trend of refunds, I find it hard to believe they would be in a good financial standing with companies like Visa/Mastercard.

In conclusion, it is each his own right/risk to continue to hope the development cycle pans out to a good release before financial issues become a burden for them. I have nothing against the game, or its developers, and at one time had high hopes for the release of this game. But thier pre-order, date changes, high cost, and high rate of refunds, leaves much to be desired for a next gereration MMO, sandbox or not.

I am not jaded yet, and Star Vault may in the end get my money afterall, when they release the game. Until then, I believe I'll keep that decision in my own hands, and not the hands of a independent game company. I do hope future independent developers learn a little on how to handle the pre-order process in the future.

Comments

• ItinerantItinerant Member UncommonPosts: 89

I had also posted the same thing on the official forums, and my post was deleted completely. I guess they don't want folks checking out the time limit the have to request a refund from thier CC company. Im glad that I copied and pasted it here, since I knew they would probably delete it.

Thank you MMORPG, for being unbias to peoples legitamate views of games, and giving players a place people can speak/post thier opinion, whether it's with or without idiocy.

+1rep for MMORPG.com

• ZheomZheom Member Posts: 58

cool, see you ingame in 4-5 months. =)

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

You mean this thread?

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/25225-timer-up-me-3-month-mark.html

They didn't delete it. Maerlyn locked it and moved it to the support forum. Not sure which forum you had it in, but he thought support forum was more appropriate.

As for locking it, I guess the best reason is that the topic could easily go from your announcement of your decision to being a full out flame war.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Its why I didn't bother buying the game. I've played the game and its, to my suprise, is coming along now (finally lol) but not quite worth the money YET IMO. Sorry to see you go though, hopefully you'll be back to the game when its a little more polished since it looks like it will be a good RPG at the least.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by xpiher
    Its why I didn't bother buying the game. I've played the game and its, to my suprise, is coming along now (finally lol) but not quite worth the money YET IMO. Sorry to see you go though, hopefully you'll be back to the game when its a little more polished since it looks like it will be a good RPG at the least.

This dev reply is dedicated to those like you
    http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/24840-can-sv-deliver-what-they-promise-people-expecting-too-much-3.html#post564522
    (along with quoted text)

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by joshe

Originally posted by xpiher

This dev reply is dedicated to those like you

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/24840-can-sv-deliver-what-they-promise-people-expecting-too-much-3.html#post564522

(along with quoted text)

Read it, which bascially answers my question. They know the game won't have some of the key selling features for me to enjoy te game at launch mainly politics.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by MiteFiend

In a obviously growing trend, I contacted my credit card and had the funds reversed, for this poorly handled pre-order. I didn't buy this game to play beta, and haven't played but maybe a total of 3 hours. Regardless of the state of the game, they stated the game boxes to be shipped out in Sept.
    Lame argument from the fanbois, to ask "why would I want a boxed beta disc?".
    That is hardly the issue. The issue is simply that they have had my money long enough, and today was the final day I had to dispute the charges. My credit card has a 3 month limit, and that day was today. I feel it would be of high risk to my money at this point, to let them seal the deal financially, in hopes that the game releases soon, if at all, before they go belly up. Im not here to argue thier finacial state, and whether they will release thier game before running out of funds, which the player base has paid for. With the growing trend of refunds, I find it hard to believe they would be in a good financial standing with companies like Visa/Mastercard.
    In conclusion, it is each his own right/risk to continue to hope the development cycle pans out to a good release before financial issues become a burden for them. I have nothing against the game, or its developers, and at one time had high hopes for the release of this game. But thier pre-order, date changes, high cost, and high rate of refunds, leaves much to be desired for a next gereration MMO, sandbox or not.
    I am not jaded yet, and Star Vault may in the end get my money afterall, when they release the game. Until then, I believe I'll keep that decision in my own hands, and not the hands of a independent game company. I do hope future independent developers learn a little on how to handle the pre-order process in the future.

After my experience with WAR, I wlll never be the first to buy a new release, especially if I don't get to try it first. I also would be very leary of a company that wants to charge an abnormally large sum of money for their game from a company I have never heard of.

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• adralaadrala Member Posts: 148

CEO of SV updated the community on the boxes issue:

Dear community.

Due to some delay on our box printings we have not been able to deliver the boxed versions on expected period, “previously around September”

We are now shipping the “loot bags” to the box company and as soon as they are finished with the steel boxes they will be shipped out worldwide. I must say the loot bags looks really nice

We will give you an update as soon as we have a confirmed date on when the boxes are being shipped from Sweden.

Don't forget you are allways able to download the client via our website.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you for your patience.

• MhorhamMhorham Member Posts: 146

I went through with with Realms of Torment a few years back. I will never subscribe to the idea of buying a totally unfinished game so I can test it. If they want my help to test I will but I will never again commit to purchase unless its a stress test of the mostly completed product. Many games do not survive the full beta phase, or they come out of it twisted around to get past development hurdles.

I think a lot of companies are seeing the potential of bating us with these beta sales pitches and it is fundamentally wrong. Testers should be people with a modest ability to tweak their machines and an interest in helping develop games. Not excited gamers with some room on the CC clamoring for a chance to get something perceived as special.  

As a update, I recieved my refund the very next day on my online Visa statement. No questions asked, other then, "have you asked them for a refund first?" I told them I did, and they did not reply to my e-mails what-so-ever.

For a company insisting on "no refunds", they've had Visa pull out the stops on them, and will give anyone a refund instantly, due to the unusally high volume of refunds. Game hasn't even gotten out of the starting gate, and already has a limp.

I've also heard they haven't been blocking ex-beta account access. I don't know this for certain, as I haven't downloaded a recent client in weeks, and tried it. I have no intention to either. The beta is soo bad, that you can't report bugs, theres nothing new to test for extended periods of time, and I know it isn't supposed to be a fun beta but it was the barebones of a game and boring.

• apple01apple01 Member Posts: 46

As a update, I recieved my refund the very next day on my online Visa statement. No questions asked, other then, "have you asked them for a refund first?" I told them I did, and they did not reply to my e-mails what-so-ever.
    For a company insisting on "no refunds", they've had Visa pull out the stops on them, and will give anyone a refund instantly, due to the unusally high volume of refunds. Game hasn't even gotten out of the starting gate, and already has a limp.
    I've also heard they haven't been blocking ex-beta account access. I don't know this for certain, as I haven't downloaded a recent client in weeks, and tried it. I have no intention to either. The beta is soo bad, that you can't report bugs, theres nothing new to test for extended periods of time, and I know it isn't supposed to be a fun beta but it was the barebones of a game and boring.

The statement that you can't report bugs is false. Bug report as well as beta forum has been function for a month. If you have  not played recently you do not know much.

Last I played was about 3 weeks ago. Bug reporting wasn't fixed then.

So yeah you may be right about bug reporting being fixed. Or do you mean you have to bug report on the beta forums? Took them 2.5 months to get it up and working, hardly a breakneck pace. Is the patcher still as slow as dial-up? Redownloading the huge client weekly, because they couldn't get the patcher to work correctly, for month was rediculous.

How about instead of picking at a small portion of my post, you add what other systems have been added/tested/fixed since Taming was put in? Im all ears.

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Last I played was about 3 weeks ago. Bug reporting wasn't fixed then.
    So yeah you may be right about bug reporting being fixed. Or do you mean you have to bug report on the beta forums? Took them 2.5 months to get it up and working, hardly a breakneck pace. Is the patcher still as slow as dial-up? Redownloading the huge client weekly, because they couldn't get the patcher to work correctly, for month was rediculous.
    How about instead of picking at a small portion of my post, you add what other systems have been added/tested/fixed since Taming was put in? Im all ears.

So you're violating the Non-Disclosure Agreement with out of date information?  Until the NDA is lifted there isn't really any way to respond other than picking out those portions of your post that are refutable with the publically available info (patch notes and public forums).   Anything else disrespects the wishes of the developers and dishonors a promise made to them (the NDA).

I didn't post anything that isn't already posted in patch notes. The rest is my opinion.

MiteFiend,

Star Vault follows two weeks patch cycles. Next patch will be on the coming monday. Between patches there will be no features added. New features will be added when the previous ones are stable and debugged. This strategy is widely applied in the software industry. As for what features are added/tested/fixed, I cannot disclose for obvious reasons

You are driven by hate, the hate only a mentally sick man can have. You downloaded and played the beta and demanded refund. Just like you donwloaded a piece of music and demanded to get refund because you didn't like the music. You wrote tones of negative posts in different forums, for what, for you being get refund easily?

Now leave Mortal Online, see a doctor and continue you life. If that does not suit you jump from your window that will be a happier ending for you than letting your hatred flow.

• phrankphrank Member Posts: 238
    Originally posted by apple01

MiteFiend,
    . You downloaded and played the beta and demanded refund.  

Gee could that be because SV failed to fulfill their end of a legal agreement they had with MiteFiend when he paid for a product that was advertised to be delivered the beginning of Sept and to this date still hasn't shipped?

Could it be because SV has failed to honor or follow any CC agreement or laws that state that they must notify you if your shipment will be delayed and give you the option to cancel or agree to the new stated delay?

Could it be because they are currently in violation of several EU and US laws and are basically conducting criminal behavior at this time?

Naw can't be anything but that he is "mentally unbalanced" as you stated right apple01?

Nice to see the shillbots are starting to surface on this forum just like Dorkfail and Deceit-n-Lies forums.

Phrank,

What he pre-ordered: the game that is scheduled to release later, the box that should be deliveryed but get delayed, the beta that he can play now hower imperfect it may be? What is the essential product a normal person is supposed to believe he has ordered?

The game of course! The game a normal people pre-ordered. That's why they call it a pre-order. The game is the product. everything else are attatched to it, although they are also important. It is therefore totally wrong to say that MiteFiend paid for the box product that should be delivered in September. 

Yes Star vault could be in legal trouble if they refuse to refund. But they have not done anything immoral. It is MiteFiend who is immoral. He could, in a similar manner, walk into a cinema, bought a ticket for a movie, after a quater go out to the box office and ask refund because the celebrity actor has not appeared yet in the film.

• RoldRold Member Posts: 63

Phrank,
    What he pre-ordered: the game that is scheduled to release later, the box that should be deliveryed but get delayed, the beta that he can play now hower imperfect it may be? What is the essential product a normal person is supposed to believe he has ordered?
    The game of course! The game a normal people pre-ordered. That's why they call it a pre-order. The game is the product. everything else are attatched to it, although they are also important. It is therefore totally wrong to say that MiteFiend paid for the box product that should be delivered in September. 
    Yes Star vault could be in legal trouble if they refuse to refund. But they have not done anything immoral. It is MiteFiend who is immoral. He could, in a similar manner, walk into a cinema, bought a ticket for a movie, after a quater go out to the box office and ask refund because the celebrity actor has not appeared yet in the film.

For me it is immoral to collect money very long before it is made shure that the product is ready to ship. Using the money from customers in order to develop the product they payed for is just a horrible business practic. Maybe you have another opinion but normally investors are earning money for their risky investments and as a customer you will get a full developed product, the game not just beta. I can understand if someone pulls the plug before it is too late.

Anyway if the product (a CD with the game on it in a metal box, not just a download) gets delayed he has the right to take the money back. Don't know where the hate is you are implying him, all I can see is hate against a legitimate critical thread post. I don't see a legit reason for your overreaction.

[X] drill here for new monitor

Originally posted by Rold

For me it is immoral to collect money very long before it is made shure that the product is ready to ship. Using the money from customers in order to develop the product they payed for is just a horrible business practic. Maybe you have another opinion but normally investors are earning money for their risky investments and as a customer you will get a full developed product, the game not just beta. I can understand if someone pulls the plug before it is too late.
    Anyway if the product (a CD with the game on it in a metal box, not just a download) gets delayed he has the right to take the money back. Don't know where the hate is you are implying him, all I can see is hate against a legitimate critical thread post. I don't see a legit reason for your overreaction.

From the marketing perspective, bundling different offers is sometimes questionable practice. For example, buy an item and get a lottery for free. Such practice is forbiden in law in some countries.

SVs bundled offering is essentally "buy the game today and play the unfinished game free for X months". The longer the beta testing period the longer is the free period. Most of the pre-orderers understood it when they pre-ordered. They are capable of make a well grounded decision and most of them still are testing the beta and helping development of the game.

MiteFiend shoudl get his refund, in my opinion. Any decent company should do that. But he should be grateful that his careless impulse action does not costed him anything. CD in a metal box is not the product. The product SV is selling is the game experience. I would say many beta testers are already enjoy the product. MiteFiend might have a bad experience because of his unrealistic expectation of the beta procedure SV is using. His failure of understanding is not the fault of SV.

Trying to damage Star Vault and Mortal Online by writting negative posts is double immoral in this regard.

• phrankphrank Member Posts: 238

Originally posted by Rold

From the marketing perspective, bundling different offers is sometimes questionable practice. For example, buy an item and get a lottery for free. Such practice is forbiden in law in some countries.

SVs bundled offering is essentally "buy the game today and play the unfinished game free for X months". The longer the beta testing period the longer is the free period. Most of the pre-orderers understood it when they pre-ordered. They are capable of make a well grounded decision and most of them still are testing the beta and helping development of the game.

MiteFiend shoudl get his refund, in my opinion. Any decent company should do that. But he should be grateful that his careless impulse action does not costed him anything. CD in a metal box is not the product. The product SV is selling is the game experience. I would say many beta testers are already enjoy the product. MiteFiend might have a bad experience because of his unrealistic expectation of the beta procedure SV is using. His failure of understanding is not the fault of SV.

Trying to damage Star Vault and Mortal Online by writting negative posts is double immoral in this regard.

So you are saying that SV only contracted for a game experience for a game that is not complete and therefore can't be experienced? Funny, I remember them talking about delivering a product in September, not an experience.

Great circular logic you have there my friend.

Funny that some of you get soo defensive for a game company who has yet to give you a end product.

I never said the game sucks soo bad, never play it.

My opinion is my opinion, but the fact that my credit card thru Visa only allows me to make claims against charges for 90 days, made the decision for me. I was on the fence about the game, yes. I was a concerned about the progress in the beta, yes. I was concerned that if I didn't make a decision by a date, it would be a no turning back point, yes.

I honestly don't care if you think I'm hateful, or immoral. You aren't paying my Visa bill. I have the right (yes the purchaser's right) to pull the plug on delayed products for whatever reason I choose. It could be because I'm strapped for cash, and want to spend my money on a game releasing on time vs. a game delayed. Thats my right. No one will stop me. Laws were put in place for this kind of situation, where I purchased a product, and it wasn't on time. It's not immoral, to use my rights.

If the game turns out to be the long awaited GOLD you assume it wil be, I will be playing it too. But until then, I'll keep my options open, and not corner myself, or waste my money. Some of us haven't forgotten, http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm?thread=37720&bhcp=1

Get off your high horse. Oh wait, you don't own that horse. ( Or do you, PR guy?)

Originally posted by phrank

So you are saying that SV only contracted for a game experience for a game that is not complete and therefore can't be experienced? Funny, I remember them talking about delivering a product in September, not an experience.

Great circular logic you have there my friend.

Basically SV is offerring a game when released will be a great experience but not when the beta began. They stated it very clearly. So if someone do not like the beta experience, it is only because he expect too much too early.

The CD box is not a product. No one wnat to buy my copy of CD without game access. CD is an non essential part of the product, which is the game yet to be released. 

Funny that some of you get soo defensive for a game company who has yet to give you a end product.
    My opinion is my opinion, but the fact that my credit card thru Visa only allows me to make claims against charges for 90 days, made the decision for me. I was on the fence about the game, yes. I was a concerned about the progress in the beta, yes. I was concerned that if I didn't make a decision by a date, it would be a no turning back point, yes.
    I honestly don't care if you think I'm hateful, or immoral. You aren't paying my Visa bill. I have the right (yes the purchaser's right) to pull the plug on delayed products for whatever reason I choose. It could be because I'm strapped for cash, and want to spend my money on a game releasing on time vs. a game delayed. Thats my right. No one will stop me. Laws were put in place for this kind of situation, where I purchased a product, and it wasn't on time. It's not immoral, to use my rights.
    If the game turns out to be the long awaited GOLD you assume it wil be, I will be playing it too. But until then, I'll keep my options open, and not corner myself, or waste my money. Some of us haven't forgotten, http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm?thread=37720&bhcp=1
    Get off your high horse. Oh wait, you don't own that horse. ( Or do you, PR guy?)

I do agree that you as the customer in certain situation have the rights to cancel the order and get refunded. I don't think SV is trying to keep your or every ones money. It will only bring bad will if they do.

What matters to me is what you did after you got your money. Besides telling every one that the beta was bad, you told them that it was easy to cancel and the number of cancels and refunds were unusually high. And you also told them that SV "haven't been blocking ex-beta account access". Desipite your statements have no bearing of reality, some "smart" people (as you are?) may well plan to order-cancel-play. You know people are flock animals, if you have a winning concept others will copy.

Tell me is it a hatred or is it PR?

• mo0rbidmo0rbid Member Posts: 363

You are driven by hate, the hate only a mentally sick man can have. 

What the fuck is up with you?

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Im all for your refund because you think the game is not worth it at the moment or because it hasnt been delivered in September, the latter being the main reason since they honestly havent given any explanation within a reasonable amount of time.

But what I highlighted is purely immoral and dishonest on your part and really gives away alot of your character, I dont think everyone should be entitled to Visa or any other CC because of this same reason ppl will abuse the system and for the most part dont care about their end of the deal and hide behind "I have done this, because I can as a consumer" whenever it suits their agenda. Ofc from VISA's perspective they couldnt care less with the high interest on money through credit they are more than happy to let you continue be sucked it into using money you dont have.