Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion, For RPers? Y/N?

I'm a Hardcore RPer.

Only reason I play MMORPG's is for the RP in it.

And the Communities of course.

I have no interest in PvP or PvE.

so my question is simple

Aion, fit for RPers or not?

Should I buy it or leave it?

*considers even WoW to be unfit for RPers*

 

«1

Comments

  • ArshoonArshoon Member UncommonPosts: 71

    I tried the beta and was sorely disappointed. It was like every other Asian MMO Out there, same look and feel. And there's no RP, no attempt at it and no RP servers.

    If you aren't actively part of the solution, you have no right to complain about anything.

  • DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

    Not gonna lie Lumiel is the unofficial RP server and there is some RP legions but as far as being RP friendly i don't believe so, not for your level of RP. I would think LotR would be what your looking for and closer to your level of RP your looking for. You can look on Aion Source Lumiel section to see or ask questions about it if you want.

    image
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 1,954

    I too played on Lumiel, the unofficial RPing server. You can find RPers playing the game, but the game itself doesn't promote RPing. Meaning, the game is centered around combat, and there isn't many fluff features that allow you to carry out actions that are important to RP. If you love to RP while adventuring, then the game might be worth considering. But if you prefer to RP in towns, bars, or your own created city/house, then look elsewhere.

  • johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

     If you want real good RPing, you're going to have to find a niche game made for RPing. It's simple as that. Any game not designed for it attracts a non-RP crowd. Some games I've played with good RP in the past are Clan Lord, Pernica and Auteria. However, the community in each of these games is small.

  • PsychoSimplePsychoSimple Member Posts: 2

     I suppose it really comes down to what you make of it. Aion obviously didn't put much depth into roleplaying or the things needed as previously stated. But that doesn't make it bad for roleplaying, it's a gamer preference at the end of the day.

  • unagigasukiunagigasuki Member Posts: 2

    when i played open beta, I didn't see many RPers. I was a little disappointed tbh. :/ but if you find a lot of good rpers, let me know cuz i quit aion after open beta... didnt have time / money to put into it, but i might come back~

  • KoritKorit Member Posts: 3

     I like Aion a lot as far as games go, but it definitely doesn't seem to have much to offer for RPers. My feeling is that there's not enough depth to the cultures, and that the world and towns are not expansive enough. So I play Aion when I don't feel like RPing, and I'm on the hunt for more of a niche game where I can go to get my RP fix. I must one day resign myself to the fact that there will never be one game that fulfills all of my gaming desires.

  • grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

    From what ive seen and heard Aion isnt very RP friendly. Landroval server in LOTRO is the unofficial RP server and Antonia Bayle server in EQ2 is a RP server.  For U.S. servers anyway. These two games are the best RP games ive played. EQ2 has some very hardcore RP'ers.

  • KnightcryKnightcry Member Posts: 168

    RP has died for the most part in mmos and it would be best for your wallet to just hire a dominatrix if you are looking for RP. If you are stubborn and still want to look, keep away from mainstream titles.

  • kennethkkennethk Member Posts: 45

    Aion does not cater very well to RPers. Of the newer titles, probably the best bet for a RP friendly game would be Fallen Earth

  • Marcus79Marcus79 Member Posts: 24

    I'm very interested in RP as well, and the only game when they have a real focus on it is PlaneShift. Obviously it largely depends on the people you will meet. I've found some people hanging out at the main tavern with very good RP skills (better than mine) and was fun to listen to them. Maybe you should give it a try. Please note that the game is still under development, but if you don't care too much about fighting and such, it should be perfect.

    Did you find any good RPers in Aion?

  • X3NOX3NO Member Posts: 26

    There is no official RP server, on the 3 servers I played on I saw no RP legions and the lack of naming policy means people are running around with names like 'Lovestospooge' ...

  • LuiluLuilu Member Posts: 34

    i can clearly state - no chance for rp in Aion in my experience...  LOLs, n00bs, xxbooonhunterxx everywhere :/

  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Luilu


    i can clearly state - no chance for rp in Aion in my experience...  LOLs, n00bs, xxbooonhunterxx everywhere :/

    This

    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,926
    Originally posted by Minoco


    I'm a Hardcore RPer.

    Only reason I play MMORPG's is for the RP in it.

    And the Communities of course.

    I have no interest in PvP or PvE.
    so my question is simple

    Aion, fit for RPers or not?
    Should I buy it or leave it?
    *considers even WoW to be unfit for RPers*

     



     

    My thought is that most games can be haven for Role Players as my opinion is that the only thing you need for role playing is a rich imagination and a group to do it with.

    Havign said that, I don't think Aion is conducive to role players as there doesn't seem to be any.

    The thing about Aion, or one of my criticisms is that the game world is a very thougth out and deliberate game world. Any place you can go is a place that you are meant to and expected to go.

    In some ways I understand why they did this. Technical reasons aside, if a rift opens up and the enemy comes through, the enemy WILL eventually run into someone to attack. It's just a matter of when.

    so the world is not a large open space with large open areas of different sorts. Not to say there aren't open areas, but it does hit home when you sign into a game like Lineage 2 or Vanguard or heck, even WoW and then sign into Aion and realize what "open" really means.

    So with a world that is very concentrated and where the experience is very concentrated I can see role players getting a bit frustrrated as anywhere they are they are going to be in the center of something else that is going on.

    Still, with a good group this could possibly be overcome but I just don't see Aion as being the game to attract role players.

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,247

    I have NEVER seen a Korean developer utilize any RP features what so ever,as a matter of fact,SOE is about the ONLY developer that does.

    If you are truly interested in RP'ing then w/o question EQ2 is your game,no other game comes close.

     

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,926
    Originally posted by Wizardry


    I have NEVER seen a Korean developer utilize any RP features what so ever,as a matter of fact,SOE is about the ONLY developer that does.
    If you are truly interested in RP'ing then w/o question EQ2 is your game,no other game comes close.
     



     

    Though Sony is Japanese.

  • BoneflowerBoneflower Member Posts: 91

    This is the place to ask about Aion Roleplay:

    http://www.aionroleplayers.com/index.php

    As others have said...the game design of Aion does not support RP very well. However, despite that, there is a fair sized RP community on Lumiel. Good people. Check out the forums, and decide for yourself if the community is to your liking.

  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,148

    The best RP communities I have found are Landroval server LORTO. . and Fallen  Earth (some pretty hard core RPers there)  Of course on both of these games/servers you are going to find people that run through naked shouting about sports scores and how they RoxXxor'd u.

     

    I think the best RP have have found was on old UO shards that were set up for it.  These tend to come and go though . . good luck!

    Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

  • seigardseigard Member UncommonPosts: 286

    I dont agree with any of you guys because actually the rp is not done by the game, it is done by you so you can find alot of rp content in any game.For example in aion you can go to a rift and live in the other factions world and feel the survival.I know alot of you will argue with me but roleplay is like colors, it is specail for your presonality imo

  • Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

    I role played doing same quest over and over for 1000 times.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,926

    Originally posted by seigard

    I dont agree with any of you guys because actually the rp is not done by the game, it is done by you so you can find alot of rp content in any game.For example in aion you can go to a rift and live in the other factions world and feel the survival.I know alot of you will argue with me but roleplay is like colors, it is specail for your presonality imo

    I agree with you.

    There are improv actors creating complete, in depth stories, on the spot with absolutely no props or scenery and just their imaginations and a premise.

    If role playes feel they need more I highly suggest taking some improv classes.

  • SuilebhainSuilebhain Member UncommonPosts: 57

    While a game system is not necessary for roleplay (heck, I used to roleplay in Diablo), there are certain things that the developers can do to promote it:

    1. Establish a RP server at launch.

    Games that do not do this tend to generate environments that are hostile to roleplayers because the community itself does not recognize your play style, starting at the top, down. DAOC had a RP server at launch, established a second very quickly after the first filled up, then a third.

    2. Create an open world.

    It is hard to feel immersed when you are only able to follow a single path through the world, and it doesn't lend much to roleplay.

    3. Allow  places where characters can 'relax" after a hard day adventuring.

    DAOC was the same on all servers, but a CSR could be summoned who would remove those who chose to disrupt RP events or generally hassle a player. it took no further development, although they did establish player housing and have some nice noncombat areas, like the interior of cities, to aid in RP opportunities. They also had in-game marriage, as did SWG, another game that fostered roleplay and supported it to a large degree. City of Heroes/Villains has an in-game nightclub, as well.

    4. Allow areas to remain cleared once in awhile.

    Constant monster spawns are absurd. DAOC and SWG did this well. EQ2 did this poorly. Constant pops may be good for grinding but to clear an area flanked by natural terrain only to have something spawn behind you is a real immersion killer.

     

    That said, Aion is bad for RP and the community is fairly insular so unless you play a flirtatious female forget about getting invited.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,926

    Originally posted by Suilebhain

    While a game system is not necessary for roleplay (heck, I used to roleplay in Diablo), there are certain things that the developers can do to promote it:

    1. Establish a RP server at launch.

    Games that do not do this tend to generate environments that are hostile to roleplayers because the community itself does not recognize your play style, starting at the top, down. DAOC had a RP server at launch, established a second very quickly after the first filled up, then a third.

    2. Create an open world.

    It is hard to feel immersed when you are only able to follow a single path through the world, and it doesn't lend much to roleplay.

    3. Allow  places where characters can 'relax" after a hard day adventuring.

    DAOC was the same on all servers, but a CSR could be summoned who would remove those who chose to disrupt RP events or generally hassle a player. it took no further development, although they did establish player housing and have some nice noncombat areas, like the interior of cities, to aid in RP opportunities. They also had in-game marriage, as did SWG, another game that fostered roleplay and supported it to a large degree. City of Heroes/Villains has an in-game nightclub, as well.

    4. Allow areas to remain cleared once in awhile.

    Constant monster spawns are absurd. DAOC and SWG did this well. EQ2 did this poorly. Constant pops may be good for grinding but to clear an area flanked by natural terrain only to have something spawn behind you is a real immersion killer.

     

    That said, Aion is bad for RP and the community is fairly insular so unless you play a flirtatious female forget about getting invited.

    I have to say that I do agree with a bit of this.

    The spawn thing especially. I don't mind an area being inhabited and dont' even require it to empty out. But it has to make sense as to why they are there. Whether there are humanoids constantly coming from a camp or monsters burrowing up from the ground, it does have to make sense.

    I can't tell you how many times I cleared a way toward an objective only to have something magically appear behind me.

    A role play server is a must because though Role Play can be done anywhere, it is important to have a server where it is expected.

    I do wish these games would make more of their social places. Especially the taverns in fantasy games. DDO does have a reason to go to a Tavern but some of these games really need more to get people in.

  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

    Aion is certainly not a game made for roleplayers, there are no roleplaying servers and no measures to facilitate roleplaying are taken (such as clearing chat channels and restricting name choices to actual names), you'll also see a lot of both lilliputters and giants running around, as well as people with sticks for arms&legs and horrible monstrosities.

    The lore is there up to a point, but much is left unexplained and there are a lot of typical quests where you have to rescue cute creature XXX.

    The world is also very very enclosed.

     

    That said, you need to seek out roleplaying yourself and I know of some roleplaying guilds that were around when I was playing, don't know if they still are though.

    Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Sign In or Register to comment.