Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: Review

191011121315»

Comments

• actionfitzactionfitz Member UncommonPosts: 35

"It seems like customer support in the game is pretty awful."

I'd go from 'prety awful' to near non existant.

The forums are irrelevant as no one from NCsoft ever posts there, new posts in a thread dont bump the thread to the top, and the only moderation is in the form of deleted posts.

They have either no GMs in-game or they have the worst GMs ever.

Every public chat channel is full to the brim with gold spammers and the various good grinding spots are full of Bots.

Im pretty sure I saw something when looking for in game support that they dont work after 5pm UK time and not at all on weekends.

My sub is frozen now and will remain so until the company gets its act togther.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

New posts do not bump threads and the only moderation is deleting threads? That is just taking the piss.

• Jaymason666Jaymason666 Member Posts: 1

Service is pretty horrible. but thats NCsoft period. all of there games i've played were like that. if you don't like games crashing, either stop playing brand new ones, or learn to fix the stuff yourself. 

as far as score goes. it's a review. if you don't agree with the reviewers thoughts and score, write your own goddamn review. bunch of f---ing whiners who have to follow the herd.

as far as the game goes, it's alright. graphics are nice, plays smooth. i have the liberty of having a system built for maya and the likes. my FPS spike like crazy sometimes, between 60-200, but i haven't decided if thats just my comp, or the game. could that new windows 7 bull too.

the animation is all done very smooth, but not really "real". can't put my finger on why, but something about it....

as far as gameplay goes. it's basic. almost a little too basic for someone who has played a mmo before... so sfor some experienced players, it probably will be "fast food". that depends on the end game tho, i haven't made it anywhere near that far.

it has a monotonous feel to it, but the game originally came from korea. to all the people complaining about grinding, i repeat.

THE GAME CAME FROM KOREA!

if you don't like grind games, don't play anything that even remotely hints to the idea of a korean origin. or asian (no offense intended to anyone).

The character builder is set up very nicely. a good mix of "preset" and "sliders". some hair length options would be nice tho, give it a bit more depth.

all in all it is a decent game. they obviously spent more time and effort on looks than they did content, but thats what patches are for. how many content patches has wow added? kinda like comparing a stock car to a tuned one....

• SavinakisSavinakis Member Posts: 5

I bought this game and played it for a month and was sorely dissappointed by the game play and what I had to do to reach the pvp content of the game. I was so fed up with trying to get to level 25 and enter the abyss that I actually gave up at level 23 because I was trying to solo, died tons, leveled sooo slow and actually got tendonitis in my wrist from playing this game. I am an avid EVE player and have tried almost every game on the market. But this game really needs to figure out there first 25 levels so they don't lose people like me, because from what I could see it's WoW with wings and thats it.

• Corpse-CoreCorpse-Core Member Posts: 86

Aion, needs work, I basically look at it right now as a pay-to-play beta. The grind was never the problem for me, its was the crap customer service and gold spammers. Lag was another factor in why I decided to leave, I run a pretty high-end system here, found out NCsofts current servers dont handle high-population pvp very well. Try conquering a fortress where the lag practically makes little better than a slide-show or server crashes right in the middle of the fight. Also, found it rather interesting and somewhat funny how my character could fly but not swim, just walk along the bottom as if he was made out of lead and drown. Plus, there was disturbing news that some of the higher end quests weren't even translated....how the HELL am I suppose to read it?

The Verdict

Save your money, its simply not worth paying hard earned cash to play at this time.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

Two questions...

is Aion a solo-ability game or group ability game or both?

How far can you solo? Thanks.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Tokken

Two questions...

is Aion a solo-ability game or group ability game or both?

How far can you solo? Thanks.

Though I did group from time to time and though there are a few quests/areas that require a group, I can pretty much say I mostly soloed to lvl 46. I am fairly confident that one could solo to cap.

The problem is that you are going to have to be resourceful because if you go into the abyss you might run into the enemy en masse.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

Thank you!

When you reach pvp in the abyss is it usually even or is there a higher amt of peope in one faction.

In wow, it seemd like the horde was always had more players than the Alliance.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Tokken

Thank you!

When you reach pvp in the abyss is it usually even or is there a higher amt of peope in one faction.

In wow, it seemd like the horde was always had more players than the Alliance.

Depends on the server, depends on the time of day, etc.

Go to aionsource.com and check out the server forums to get a good idea as to what is going on.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Adam5176Adam5176 Member Posts: 1

I would suggest to everyone, do not buy this game. The service is the worse thing I have ever experience. In the past I have reported glitches with screen shots that blatently show there are huge problems in with the games programming. Their tech support blaims it on my computer though I know other players are experiencing the same thing. Also, they merged servers and did not take into account balancing the community. The lag is very bad. I also attempted to report that. Most people's toons (your in game character) completely froze during a raid. This is highly unusual as it is possible to play with out viewing character models. Though I reported that most people experienced a ping in excess of 9000 (i know wow) tech support didnt care and blamed it once again on my system

N ext, we have the GMS, who refuse to share information. Players are actually banned from asking NCsoft for information in the forums, it is their written policy that it is not allowed. Their GMS also insult players -alot- in the forums. I have seen so many players under minded it is rediculious. The GMS are trolls, isn't that amazing?

Finally, there is the issue of flight in the game. All advertisements make it out like you can fly around 24/7 and stay in the air for very long periods. The space in which flight is allowed is actually very limited and so many things can knock you out of the air, such as being attack, there is no point to flying. It becomes a hazard to fly as opposed to something thats a fun tactical attribute. The flight timer is 1 minute by defualt. However, other classes get bonuses on flight time/flight speed and there are items as well as equipment that can change this flight time. Despite that, it is still a very limited part of game play. It still has some glitches, such as falling in mid air causes you to die. But youre a bird.... They did this on purpose though it makes no sense. 4second fall=death 5seconds cd on wings to deploy. youre doomed if something knocks you our of the air basically.

Very limited story line, if you like roleplay, dont bother. The story line, there is none to really speak of. The game is rather dull in that aspect. The pvp is highly unbalanced. Spiritmasters (the game summoner) by level 50 have 3 fear skills which cannot be guarded against, except for the sin who has 1 skill that absorbs 1 magical attack. I am not even sure if that works tbh. They also have an aoe fear skill which will through an entire group off them into mobs that will kill them. Clerics are considered to be a class that no one should fight alone, unless they are an sm. They are almost impossible to kill. The put DOT (damage over time) on you and heal till you cant keep with their heals and DOT. The game is just rediculious.

Do you like events? Forget it... They put up 2d bulbs on 2 d trees for christmass and sold EXTREMELY expensive event things. Most games give something to you for free. The santa hat cost over 100,000 in game money.  The suit, is over 200,000 I believe. The events, when they do happen, which is  rare, suck. Also, gm's play in the game, though they don't help players. They just...well do nothing but sit there to have fun. Unfortunately elyos(1 of 2 races) has all of the gms, which means the other race (asmo) ends up getting the short end of the stick.

I refuse to invite my friends to play this game for free month of game play because I LIKE my friends and would like to KEEP them. Yes, the up keep of the game is just that bad. They refuse to give the community information about anything. They told us we would be getting a major patch, were late on it, didnt give us information about it being late till after it was already late, never apologized really, never explained why it happened.

I have NOTHING good to say about this game. The community is crap too because they never ban trolls or people how train mobs on other people. It is against ncsoft policy to do/be either, however they do not care. Also, main forts that are guarded by a barrier the other race cannot enter have a glitch in them, which people take advantage of. Unfortunately tiamat, a game gm, said it was 'acceptable' though it is blatently exploiting a glitch. The guards inside the barrier do not fight back... Why? Because they arent suppoed to have to. So a lvl 50 (our cap lvl) will come in, kill a bunch of people, get a butt load of ap(used to buy pvp gear) and suffer no repercussions.

Do NOT buy this game. I hate wow, but at least the moderate their community. Goatse was once all over our forum. Did I mention our forum is still broken? IT works, just barely.....

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I'd have to agree that the game was hyped to a very high level and the review doesn't seem to note the deficiencies and gives an inflated score. Proof of this is the fact that so many players, like myself cancelled. There isn't actually that much content in the game later on, though NCSoft may have patched a smudge more in post launch, and the Abyss isn't anything special just a PvP zone, and the PvP had annoying stuff in the form of Portals. Flying for the first time was a let down. It was clunky. Graphics aren't anything more than current mmorpg like WoW and EQ2. Game suffers from a small world too, and it got very crowded with the botts and farmers that seemed to crowd the game at launch.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by Adam5176

I would suggest to everyone, do not buy this game. The service is the worse thing I have ever experience. In the past I have reported glitches with screen shots that blatently show there are huge problems in with the games programming. Their tech support blaims it on my computer though I know other players are experiencing the same thing. Also, they merged servers and did not take into account balancing the community. The lag is very bad. I also attempted to report that. Most people's toons (your in game character) completely froze during a raid. This is highly unusual as it is possible to play with out viewing character models. Though I reported that most people experienced a ping in excess of 9000 (i know wow) tech support didnt care and blamed it once again on my system

N ext, we have the GMS, who refuse to share information. Players are actually banned from asking NCsoft for information in the forums, it is their written policy that it is not allowed. Their GMS also insult players -alot- in the forums. I have seen so many players under minded it is rediculious. The GMS are trolls, isn't that amazing?

Finally, there is the issue of flight in the game. All advertisements make it out like you can fly around 24/7 and stay in the air for very long periods. The space in which flight is allowed is actually very limited and so many things can knock you out of the air, such as being attack, there is no point to flying. It becomes a hazard to fly as opposed to something thats a fun tactical attribute. The flight timer is 1 minute by defualt. However, other classes get bonuses on flight time/flight speed and there are items as well as equipment that can change this flight time. Despite that, it is still a very limited part of game play. It still has some glitches, such as falling in mid air causes you to die. But youre a bird.... They did this on purpose though it makes no sense. 4second fall=death 5seconds cd on wings to deploy. youre doomed if something knocks you our of the air basically.

Very limited story line, if you like roleplay, dont bother. The story line, there is none to really speak of. The game is rather dull in that aspect. The pvp is highly unbalanced. Spiritmasters (the game summoner) by level 50 have 3 fear skills which cannot be guarded against, except for the sin who has 1 skill that absorbs 1 magical attack. I am not even sure if that works tbh. They also have an aoe fear skill which will through an entire group off them into mobs that will kill them. Clerics are considered to be a class that no one should fight alone, unless they are an sm. They are almost impossible to kill. The put DOT (damage over time) on you and heal till you cant keep with their heals and DOT. The game is just rediculious.

Do you like events? Forget it... They put up 2d bulbs on 2 d trees for christmass and sold EXTREMELY expensive event things. Most games give something to you for free. The santa hat cost over 100,000 in game money.  The suit, is over 200,000 I believe. The events, when they do happen, which is  rare, suck. Also, gm's play in the game, though they don't help players. They just...well do nothing but sit there to have fun. Unfortunately elyos(1 of 2 races) has all of the gms, which means the other race (asmo) ends up getting the short end of the stick.

I refuse to invite my friends to play this game for free month of game play because I LIKE my friends and would like to KEEP them. Yes, the up keep of the game is just that bad. They refuse to give the community information about anything. They told us we would be getting a major patch, were late on it, didnt give us information about it being late till after it was already late, never apologized really, never explained why it happened.

I have NOTHING good to say about this game. The community is crap too because they never ban trolls or people how train mobs on other people. It is against ncsoft policy to do/be either, however they do not care. Also, main forts that are guarded by a barrier the other race cannot enter have a glitch in them, which people take advantage of. Unfortunately tiamat, a game gm, said it was 'acceptable' though it is blatently exploiting a glitch. The guards inside the barrier do not fight back... Why? Because they arent suppoed to have to. So a lvl 50 (our cap lvl) will come in, kill a bunch of people, get a butt load of ap(used to buy pvp gear) and suffer no repercussions.

Do NOT buy this game. I hate wow, but at least the moderate their community. Goatse was once all over our forum. Did I mention our forum is still broken? IT works, just barely.....

The only point in this entire post that has any merit is about the flight. Everything else is just hot-air spewing from someone who was massively disappointed because the game wasn't exactly what he/she thought it would be. If you're going to spew THAT much drivel, at least give some links to back up your nonsense.

<3

• RashmeindRashmeind Member Posts: 18
    Man I miss this game.  Playing at launch was epic fun.  Enthralling, gorgeous world.  Reliance on your friends to hold their weight as you ventured into unexplored territory.  Our first time taking a lower level fort.  The tank was like level 38 and the rest of us we doing 1 dps to the guardian.  It was exciting and daring at every turn.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Because the  game is totally free to play, I feel that support has suffered as a result. Example: Their latest response to gold spammers is now muting players who are under level 30. Before it was level 20. Since I mention in game how that screws the under 30 crowd for dailies and such, a response I got was "It only takes a few hours to get to 30." Well well. Wonder how longer before they mute players under 40? This game is suffering under their total free to play model and that is just one of the short comings I find that make me regret even more my purchase of it when it first launched. They need to either revamp their business model for the North American franchise or stagnate at their current level. Not willing to actually boot gold spammers when they show up and just chose to ban chat for players under a certain level is a damn shitty approach. Can't recommend this game at all, period.
This discussion has been closed.