Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A couple of questions

I been playing Lineage II, for about 3 years now, and been increasingly frustrated with NC Softs' poor support. As such I been looking for a new MMO, and FF XIV looks like the best to bring my characters over from L2, with the races being similar.

I been reading all info in regards to FF, but I have a few questions, which players of the current FF may be able to answer, since I haven't seen anything in regards to XIV.

1) How many alts/characters can you have? In L2 you could have 7 , I believe in Guild Wars it was 5.

2) In L2, they had a warehouse system so you could trade goods and money between your alts, does something similar exist in FF XI ?

3) The various items like unique headgear, masks etc are they tradeable between your alts ?

Thank you for any information. I will no doubt have more questions as time passes on, I am hoping, like most, to be able to try to get into beta. I have a number of friends who are looking for a new MMO and Final Fantasy XIV has our hopes high.

Comments

• JynxorJynxor Member Posts: 40

1- Alts are an extra dollar.  Don't really need them though.  You don't have to worry about a bunch of alts with different jobs.  People use them for extra space.

2- There are npcs you can use to send others items.

3- Some items can't be sent.

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Calladan

I been playing Lineage II, for about 3 years now, and been increasingly frustrated with NC Softs' poor support. As such I been looking for a new MMO, and FF XIV looks like the best to bring my characters over from L2, with the races being similar.
    I been reading all info in regards to FF, but I have a few questions, which players of the current FF may be able to answer, since I haven't seen anything in regards to XIV.
    1) How many alts/characters can you have? In L2 you could have 7 , I believe in Guild Wars it was 5.
    2) In L2, they had a warehouse system so you could trade goods and money between your alts, does something similar exist in FF XI ?
    3) The various items like unique headgear, masks etc are they tradeable between your alts ?
    Thank you for any information. I will no doubt have more questions as time passes on, I am hoping, like most, to be able to try to get into beta. I have a number of friends who are looking for a new MMO and Final Fantasy XIV has our hopes high.

Well, the thing with XI, and looks like XIV also, is that you really only needed one character.  The alts were mainly for extra storage.  You don't have to make a new character to play a different class/job.

• CalladanCalladan Member Posts: 6

I understand you may not need alts, but I like to try different races. I really only see 2 or 3 of the characters I made coming over to Final Fantasy.

• JynxorJynxor Member Posts: 40

Well, on FFXI you have to pay an extra $1 a month for each new character.

• CDCostaCDCosta Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Jynxor

1- Alts are an extra dollar.  Don't really need them though.  You don't have to worry about a bunch of alts with different jobs.  People use them for extra space.
    2- There are npcs you can use to send others items.
    3- Some items can't be sent.

They have to be on the same server though, of course.

• circitercirciter Member UncommonPosts: 6

First and foremost, even counting the innovations in the battle system and the fact that XIV will be skill based and not level based, we're likely to see even bigger differences between the billing systems of XI and XIV. Whether or not FFXIV will allow you to have several alts for a base fee is one of those details that hasn't been announced yet by Square Enix.

Unique items (or 'exclusive', as they're labeled in XI) are by definition, untradable, alts included. At least that's the rule in the earlier game. There are also some other items which, while not marked as 'exclusive', are not mailable at all; classic examples of these are linkshells, linkpearls, and linksacks (artifacts that allow owners to communicate to other carriers of similar items in guild-like group chat. These objects are the basis for all communication and administration functions for the equivalent of guilds or clans in XI. They can only be traded in person.) Besides these exceptions, and for all other items and currency, mailing is allowed between different characters in the same account.

These are the rules in XI... It's anybody's guess what restrictions will carry over to XIV.

• I really hope they make an effort to address storage requirements, especially with all the different equipment you're going to need to play different roles.  FFXI was very limited in how much storage you had and I even had to resort to using my mailbox for additional space... and this was on top of having 3 alts as mules.  It was such a chore having to mail items back and forth depending on what job I wanted to play that day.

• Rogue_LeaderRogue_Leader Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Calladan

As others have stated, extra characters cost an extra $1 a month in XI.  Most had one or two as 'mules' to store and/or sell items for them.
    The only way to trade items between alts is via the mailing system you use to send items to other characters.  Each character has access to storage in their personal 'mog house.'  This storage is not shared.
    Once again as others have stated in XI most items are tradable / sellable.  Items marked "Ex" (short for exclusive) are not.  Most exclusive items are quest items.  There's also gear that's exclusive.
    If you decide to try playing FFXI remember that FFXIV will be a different game.  How different is anyone's guess at this point.

• ViViMagikViViMagik Member Posts: 4

i agree on the storage thing, it was a huge pain in the ass to have to carry out extra suits of gear, but im sure S/e has plans to impliment a bank system. Remember FF11 was an early MMO that to this day is still doing well. They now have a better engine to work off of, therefore much more creativity, and thoughts will go down into Their work

Puff Puff Pass....