Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

blueshadowblueshadow Member CommonPosts: 146

I  heavily edited my post here as what I originally wrote is something I deeply regret.

I was a disgrunted vet that returned to the game and found it to be a solid and interesting game, and I find myself having the same enthusiasm for SWG now as I had before NGE.

It's all a matter of taste obviously. I  can only speak for myself and I like the taste of it today, even if it is different. And I  am quite sure that for new players, or those capable of leaving the past behind, they will find the game both unique and interesting compared to many other games out there. Well worth a try.

Comments

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

What you dont understand is that there are only 12 of you.  That would make for a really empty server...

• blueshadowblueshadow Member CommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by madeux

What you dont understand is that there are only 12 of you.  That would make for a really empty server...

By what you write here.  I take it you never played SWG  back then ? If you did. You would never have said something as silly as this. 12 people ? get real. There was almost a few hundred thousands of people leaving the game overnight after the NGE  hit. And look at Eve. That game lives a healthy life because it is a mature sandbox game. Different from all others. I  doubt there are any reasons for SOE to keep SWG  in its current state alive after the new SWG game arrives.. but a sandobx one could live side by side with such a game.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by blueshadow
    1. Open a classic SWG  server SOE. You will be surprised how many people are interested.
    2. After some time those classic servers will be more popular than the current ones.
    3. New players and a mature crowd that are now in the MMO marked and never was when old SWG  was around will hear about this awesome and different sandbox game and you will have more players than ever before.
    4. More players = You can put more people into development and release a expansion pack.
    5. A  restored Sandbox SWG can live side by side with a storyline driven "theme" park SWGKTOR.
    No.. you will never get those 11 mill from that other game.. but a Sandbox SWG that was developed in a good way could have between 500 000 and 1000000 players.
    I really believe this and wish SOE  did too.

It is a shame...Sony has its problems and SOE is one of the older ones.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

SOE is pursuing other streams of reveue besides  traditional P2P MMORPG's and the amount of money you are talking about generating is miniscule compared to what they have designs on. (Think WOW 2 and you'll be getting warm)

Besides, if they did as you proposed then someone at SOE would be admiting they were wrong, and that's not likely to ever happen.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ebonfireebonfire Member UncommonPosts: 160

That project (we are not supposed to mention on here) at one time had several hundred thousand registered users, and right now has just under a hundred thousand active community members since it has been cleaned up...  which is more than the current subscriber base of SWG.

lol all 12 of you?   

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

The dream would be a fresh pre-CU server. People talking about there are just a few people left wanting the old game back. Not so, lots of people wants it. They just dont use forums or are registered to a forum/community.

I regulary talk to vets who wants to play the game again. Its been so long now they dont even mind starting all over again. Creating a new community with our own content. Building citys and wage war against the other side. Setting up shops and craft for their guild so there is plenty armour, clothes, foods, weapons and all the stuff needed to crush the enemy.

Going on hunting trips, fashion shows, duel tournaments, PARTY, vette runs, geno cave runs and all the other fun we had.

The community is out there. They just aint so vocal as the NGE crowd( who is the true vocal minority btw)

Build it and they will come....

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• SkeeSkeeSkeeSkee Member UncommonPosts: 129

Actually if SOE is smart (HA!), they will wait until about 1 - 2 months AFTER SW:TOR is released to open a classic server.   Many old vets are going to flock to that game thinking it will be somewhat like old SWG...but of course it won't be.    It would be perfect timing, however I seriously doubt it would ever happen.   I don't think SWG has the budget to pull it off and SOE certainly isn't going to waste anymore money on a 6+ year old mmo that is circling the drain.   

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by SkeeSkee

Actually if SOE is smart (HA!), they will wait until about 1 - 2 months AFTER SW:TOR is released to open a classic server.   Many old vets are going to flock to that game thinking it will be somewhat like old SWG...but of course it won't be.    It would be perfect timing, however I seriously doubt it would ever happen.   I don't think SWG has the budget to pull it off and SOE certainly isn't going to waste anymore money on a 6+ year old mmo that is circling the drain.   

$OE only wants to invest in games and ideas that have the potential to grab a good share of WoW's playerbase, but we have already seen that their attempts to do so fail epically. While classic servers would draw far more players than the NGE does currently, it is just not worthwhile enough for $OE to do so. That, and I doubt LA would permit it.

I doubt I will ever find a game (or community) that I enjoyed quite as much as Pre-NGE SWG, I still enjoy good games. The only concern I have with TOR is how I may have to pay for it - subscription, RMT or both?

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

Here is an idea, launch 2-3 servers with pre-CU and make them F2P for three months. You think these suckas will grow a community? Can I have a: HELL YEAH!

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by blueshadow

1. Open a classic SWG  server SOE. You will be surprised how many people are interested.
    2. After some time those classic servers will be more popular than the current ones.
    3. New players and a mature crowd that are now in the MMO marked and never was when old SWG  was around will hear about this awesome and different sandbox game and you will have more players than ever before.
    4. More players = You can put more people into development and release a expansion pack.
    5. A  restored Sandbox SWG can live side by side with a storyline driven "theeme" park SWGKTOR.
    No.. you will never get those 11 mill from that other game.. but a Sandbox SWG that was developed in a good way could have between 500 000 and 1000000 players.
    I really belive this and wish SOE  did too.

Jump on that "other server" and see just how many people are in Mos Eisley starport. Way more than on my home server of Radiant. All 12 of us. Lol. What a dumbass.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Imo,

SOE= Lucy

SWG=football

Me going back to SOE to play SWG would=Charlie Brown landing on his back in the mud, again, after Lucy pulls the football away, again.

No thanks ^_^.  You can learn a lot about life from Peanuts lol.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by Kyleran

SOE is pursuing other streams of reveue besides  traditional P2P MMORPG's and the amount of money you are talking about generating is miniscule compared to what they have designs on. (Think WOW 2 and you'll be getting warm)
    Besides, if they did as you proposed then someone at SOE would be admiting they were wrong, and that's not likely to ever happen.

That already happened. I remember reading an interview with someone at SOE who said they royally screwed up SWG. If someone knows which interview I'm speaking about, please link it. I can't remember where I read it.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

Oh...my...

I...I never thought of this.  How amazing, stunning even.  What a concept!  Why hasn't someone suggested this before?

*sigh*

Ok I'm being a jerk and I apologize but seriously, this gets posted and posted and posted over and over and over again and it will not EVER happen.  For those that think there's enough of a following to make this happen you're dillusional in my opinion, OPINION!!

There's no money to be made in this endevour, SOE / Sony won't do it for that fact alone.

PLEASE PLEASE make this thread and all others like it...stop.

• mmo4lifemmo4life Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Kyleran

This is the same disease SOE has had from the NGE meltdown from SWG.

It's caused by Chasing potential customers at the expense of current / re-current customers.

This illness is known as Head'icus-Up-Ass'icus, and has been the leading cause of death for many game companies since records were first taken in 1982.

• stillkillinstillkillin Member Posts: 221

first off all of you call $OE by their given name $OE

and swg is no longer swg it is now and forever will be known as the nge. swg died when our pre-cu was stolen from us and untill we get it back there is no swg there is just the nge.

we need to get more people demanding a return to the pre-cu it is very clear that the pre-cu would get wow numbers over night and i know for a fact that the pre-cu game would just kill tor as well.

• SecurionSecurion Member Posts: 206

Im sorry to break this to you guys but... SWG looks like shit. Its old and no matter what sandbox mechanics you put into that game NOONE will play it, except you idiots who havent moved on to EVE by now.

• DarthconnorDarthconnor Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by madeux

Theres over 1000 plus ppl trying to log onto that other server. They had to put a hard cap to keep it from crashin due to having to many ppl trying to log and play something that isnt even close to complete.

Seeing as that is true Id think that its a safe bet that if that many are willing to take a unstable server and still try to log in and play and grind everything from scratch that a server hosted by LA or SOE wouild do quite alot better. Giving the advertisement alone of doing it and just by word of mouth id bet you have more population on a classic server then on most to all the current NGe servers. Why would that not be worth trying. They have something like 10-12 servers they just took offline as NGe servers. Recode them put 1-4 servers up and see what happens in 2-3 months. Certainly cant hurt and it might help heal old wounds and get Soe rep back up a step or two.

But what do we know after all we are just the crowd still trolling around sites looking for something close to a game style and/or community that we had 4+ years ago.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Securion

Im sorry to break this to you guys but... SWG looks like shit. Its old and no matter what sandbox mechanics you put into that game NOONE will play it, except you idiots who havent moved on to EVE by now.

Have to chime in here. Eve does not even come close to SWG pre cu IMO. Eve is a space wallpaper chat messenger game on it's good days and like watching paint dry otherwise.

• stillkillinstillkillin Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Securion

go onto any game and say swg pre-cu in it's main chat channel and the whole channel will talk about how great pre-cu swg was yes even on wow people will talk about it

swg pre-cu was one of the if not the best game ever made

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Problem is to release a classic server pretty much means they have to admit they screwed up. Big corps NEVER admit they screwed up.

Plus as someone who's not played anything as engaging as pre-nge SWG, even I have to admit, its been too long. The dream is dead. You'd have a lot less subs than you think.

• riceae02riceae02 Member UncommonPosts: 180
  • NoforatuNoforatu Member Posts: 2

You have no idea how often i go on a rant to my friends about how SOE screwed up such a perfect game.  Everyone i know who has actually played it says the same and we seem to be the only people who can talk up a game so well to those who haven't played it.  Friends still ask me about how it used to be and how great it sounds.  Well that's because it was a great game and still to this date the best MMO i have ever played and probably will remain the best I have ever played for a long time.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

Swg had a great community and thats what made it so great. mmo communities today are just one big chuck norris joke.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

If I had to guess, I'd say they CAN'T open a pre-NGE server, since they are likely contractually prevented from doing so.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by dhayes68

Problem is to release a classic server pretty much means they have to admit they screwed up. Big corps NEVER admit they screwed up.
    Plus as someone who's not played anything as engaging as pre-nge SWG, even I have to admit, its been too long. The dream is dead. You'd have a lot less subs than you think.

Also this. Most normal people who left over the CU and NGE changes have gotten over it and moved on. The number of people STILL pining for a long-dead version of the game is dwindling.

And if you're thinking you're going to pull other gamers who didn't play SWG before, forget it. NOBODY is going to pay money to play a dead version of a six-year-old game.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.