Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12 servers closing is a success?

liberalguyliberalguy Member UncommonPosts: 118

So I just got an email from SOE:

Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Account Holder,
Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service, we want to inform you that on October 15, 2009, at 5:00 PM PDT, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) will close the following 12 Star Wars Galaxies servers:
Corbantis
Europe-Infinity
Intrepid
Kauri
Kettemoor
Lowca
Naritus
Scylla
Tarquinas
Tempest
Valcyn
Wanderhome

Shouldn't that say "Due to the overwhelming failure of the NGE we want to inform you that on October 15,2009, at 5:00 PM PDT, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) will close the following 12 Star Wars Galaxies servers"?

Too bad about Intrepid, though, my home server will be no more.

Comments

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

Um.. alright.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

Dunno...looks like a success to me if they got everyone moved and getting things in line.  Sounds like your a bitter old SWG vet who can't let go.

• liberalguyliberalguy Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by Letsinod

Dunno...looks like a success to me if they got everyone moved and getting things in line.  Sounds like your a bitter old SWG vet who can't let go.

I'm not bitter at all. I just found it amusing that SOE is saying that having to close half the servers because of lack of population is a success.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

I have to agree, it does seem kind of weird. "Due to our success at selling so many Playstations, we have decided to shut down and will no longer be selling Playstations."

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

In SOE land, server closures do indeed mean success!

Now, to those of us with intelligence who live in the real world, it means massive failure.

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

In SOE land, server closures do indeed mean success!
    Now, to those of us with intelligence who live in the real world, it means massive failure.

No, its still a success in the real world. They pay less for less servers, why pay more for a dwindling population?

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Congratulation, Sony, not only have you successfully initiated server transfers to allow people mobility, flexibility and a career perspective on multiple other servers. No, also due to the huge success of these server transfers you are now, finally able to reach your ultimate goal to close down these servers, thus fusioning your extensive player capacity to work even more synergistic. Very impressive piece of corporation management there...

M

• jakfoxjakfox Member Posts: 50

"Told you so..."

It feels bitter-sweet tbh.

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710
    Originally posted by liberalguy

Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service, we want to inform you that on October 15, 2009, at 5:00 PM PDT, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) will close the following 12 Star Wars Galaxies servers:

Corbantis

Europe-Infinity

Intrepid

Kauri

Kettemoor

Lowca

Naritus

Scylla

Tarquinas

Tempest

Valcyn

Wanderhome

Shouldn't that say "Due to the overwhelming failure of the NGE we want to inform you that on October 15,2009, at 5:00 PM PDT, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) will close the following 12 Star Wars Galaxies servers"?

are you even paying attention? he says the free character transfers are a succes. -.-'

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341

I'm not bitter at all. I just found it amusing that SOE is saying that having to close half the servers because of lack of population is a success.

I find it even more amusing that your reading skills are not a success.Nowhere did they say that having to close half the servers is a success,they did say that due to the success of the transfers they would be shutting those servers down.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Battleskar

I find it even more amusing that your reading skills are not a success.Nowhere did they say that having to close half the servers is a success,they did say that due to the success of the transfers they would be shutting those servers down.

More people look at the chain of events that lead to this. If they didn't screw the game up would they have had to close 12 servers? Probably not. I think people get that the "transfer service was a sucess". At the same time they reconise this "success" wouldn't have happend without running off more then half the community. Anyways grats on the "success" SoE.

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442
    Originally posted by I-s-k-akaJO

Rofl sounds like a NGER that thinks the game is a success and thriving.

lol

No, it sounds to me like, he was saying that SOE is finally glad that the server closing has commenced. This was a extremely difficult process for SOE, whether it needed to be or not is not my expertise, but it did take them quite some time. It's funny how everyone hates on SOE, but they wouldn't hate them had they not brought the original game in the first place..

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

It's spin..."success" is not closing servers mate. Had this been a "success", they'd be OPENING servers...not closing half of them.

This isn't about being a "vet" or being "bitter" (and please refrain from personal attacks or insults or I'll report you)...it's calling out a blatantly foolish statement by SoE what it really is...closing half your servers is a failure, not a success.

• nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342

RIP Naritus.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

This is the same thing they did with Matrix Online. I give it 6 months to a year before they announce the end of the game's life. To be fair, I do still log in from time to time just for the memories :)

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I think you misinterpreted what it said. They said the character transfer was a success, and since they got a lot of people to transfer and get other servers more populated they can shut the servers that were listed down because they don't need them anymore.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I think the original poster correctly identifies the awkwardness of the email.

Due to the OVERWHEMLIMG SUCCESS of something, the results are server closures.   That is what they are saying.

The RESULT of something successful should not be something that is viewed as a sign of FAILURE. 

Your successful advertising campaign should not result in a decrees of sales.  Your successful new product should not result if mass layoffs.  I understand companies don't want to tell the ugly truth, but trying to act like this is some success story is just plain stupid.

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

I've said it before. When SWOTR comes out SWG will close. Bioware is not gonna share the Star Wars license.

• Vulnero87Vulnero87 Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Battleskar

Yes please learn to read.  They said because of the overwhelming success of character transfers that they can close 12 servers.

Everyone has opinions, but does that make them the universal truth??? NO!

Originally posted by Daffid011

I think the original poster correctly identifies the awkwardness of the email.

Due to the OVERWHEMLIMG SUCCESS of something, the results are server closures.   That is what they are saying.

The RESULT of something successful should not be something that is viewed as a sign of FAILURE. 

Your successful advertising campaign should not result in a decrees of sales.  Your successful new product should not result if mass layoffs.  I understand companies don't want to tell the ugly truth, but trying to act like this is some success story is just plain stupid.

They're not talking at ALL about the state of the game being a success.  They're talking about their character transfers.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by vladakov

Corbantis

Europe-Infinity

Intrepid

Kauri

Kettemoor

Lowca

Naritus

Scylla

Tarquinas

Tempest

Valcyn

Wanderhome

are you even paying attention? he says the free character transfers are a succes. -.-'

reading comprehension is a lost art.

"Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service"

This is part of what exactly the OP posted.  READ that and tell me that they are saying the state of their game being a success.  They're talking about their recent promotion of free character transfers that they can shut down 12 servers.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Vulnero87

"Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service"
    This is part of what exactly the OP posted.  READ that and tell me that they are saying the state of their game being a success.  They're talking about their recent promotion of free character transfers that they can shut down 12 servers.

You can't take just PART of the statement. "Due to the overwhelming success of the Free Character Transfer Service..."...what? What is happening due to that success? What is the result of that success? Closing half the games servers is simply not something any reasonable company would view as a "success".

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Intrepid was my home for the first two + years I played the game.  Vaya con dios, old friend. Later when I came back to play off and on, I ended up on Bria, which still has a decent population on it.

Still waiting for another sandbox MMO to give me that freedom of expression, and awesome, intertwined community that I experienced in SWG.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by TUX426

You can't take just PART of the statement. "Due to the overwhelming success of the Free Character Transfer Service..."...what? What is happening due to that success? What is the result of that success? Closing half the games servers is simply not something any reasonable company would view as a "success".

If the FCTS hadn't been used by the huge number of people that took advantage of it, the servers would not have closed.

The FCTS was a success because so many people used it.  If it had gone in and nobody had moved then it would have been deemed a failure.

Not really rocket science, and it's old news, but some people never pass up an opportunity to take a shot at SoE, even if they have to fail at reading comprehension to do so.

If you look at my recent population stats, you can see the drop off for the servers that were closed started with Chapter 6, where PvE difficulty was substantially increased over what is was after the NGE pretty much broke it. 

Players moved servers, either using the paid for CTS or rerolling, just so that they could find the groups required for the new difficulty. 

Thus started the great server population imbalance that we still see today.

This discussion has been closed.