Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updated: Aion level grind.

Comments

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270
    Originally posted by illorion

the fastest way to level is to grind... plain and simple... i did the math and you spend more time running from point to point that if you were to just stay in the same area and kill mobs a level or two above you over and over again.

You really dont need to explain yourself to this person, they state right here why they have thier problem with Aion. They did the MATH, its faster to level by grinding "...plain and simple...". Oh yeah, then come right back and start bitching because Aion is a grind fest. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Dude, if you want Aion to be a grind fest it will be, if all you do is grind, then yes, its a grind fest!! If your spending hour after hour right clicking mobs and AAing them down, over and over and over, why are you bitching about auto running to them when you right click??? What do you want, the game to come back after the first 2 hours and ask you why your freaking grinding mobs??? Oh thats right, because its "faster".

Aion is only a GRIND if you play it as one. YOU create the grind yourself, your playstyle, your grind fest. EVERY game can be a grind fest if your stupid enough to make it one by how you play.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• colutrcolutr Member Posts: 333

The problem with these games isnt the grind, its the players who just want to get to the level cap. Take more time and have fun while leveling upand enjoy the content on the way.

The second problem is that level up content tends to be boring and worthless when compared to endhame activity.

But problem one causes developers to create problem 2. Why spend the time to make really good level up content, if people will still grind to max leve to be the best?

This is part of the reason why I am leaning away from level based games.

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467
    Originally posted by Kaocan

the fastest way to level is to grind... plain and simple... i did the math and you spend more time running from point to point that if you were to just stay in the same area and kill mobs a level or two above you over and over again.

You really dont need to explain yourself to this person, they state right here why they have thier problem with Aion. They did the MATH, its faster to level by grinding "...plain and simple...". Oh yeah, then come right back and start bitching because Aion is a grind fest. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Dude, if you want Aion to be a grind fest it will be, if all you do is grind, then yes, its a grind fest!! If your spending hour after hour right clicking mobs and AAing them down, over and over and over, why are you bitching about auto running to them when you right click??? What do you want, the game to come back after the first 2 hours and ask you why your freaking grinding mobs??? Oh thats right, because its "faster".

Aion is only a GRIND if you play it as one. YOU create the grind yourself, your playstyle, your grind fest. EVERY game can be a grind fest if your stupid enough to make it one by how you play.

so instead of picking a mob to kill over and over again, talk to an npc and let them pick the mob your goin to be killing for the next 15 to 30 mins for you. that's the only other alternative that you have to level. What other playstyle is there?

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Yesterday night I had a choice between:

• Participating in a massive castle siege, where multiple Elyos alliances were pushing against a Balaur general and the inferior Asmodean force was trying to prevent them.
    • Do an instance run in the Abyss
    • Do quest runs in Morhreim, solo or group ones. Or some rifting.

The first one doesn't reward any experience, thus if you're a power-leveler, it the least rewarding endeavour. It's also the most fun one (for me). So I chose to skip levelling for a day and instead have some fun preventing the Elyos form capturing a castle.

I fear that a certain MMO has pre-programmed quite a few people to follow the path to max levelling, ignoring anything in the way that it's fun. Of course, the same people that chose to ignore all the fun factors presented in the way to max level, then proceed to complain for the lack of fun things to do on their way to that max level. Ultimately, whose fault is that? 

• Is it the game's fault that it's not even more streamlined, forcing people to acknowledge and play the fun parts or,
    • Is it the individual's fault that chooses to ignore all the fun part because the only carrot worth aiming for is the max level?
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I decided not to try to get to max cap as fast as I can.  Gonna take my time and play the game the way it was meant to be played.

(lvl28 Gladiator)

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

look im glad folks are enjoying this game, im just stating my opinion of it. I played wow for a decent while and i got sick of it and i personally do not see enough difference between aion and WoW to make it worth my playing. At the moment im having a good time beta testing some of the more twitch based - non targeting mmo's that are coming out and , although they arn't without their fair share of problems and let downs, they feel much more immersive, engaging, and challanging than aion and after playing some of them i vowed i would never play another targeting based mmo again

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

Tera looks interesting, but it's nowhere near release yet.

I'm not aware of any other game like that (unless you're talking about AoC).

mortal online, jumpgate, and dc universe are all twitch games

just to rattle off a few... oh and global agenda

the combat system in mortal is fantastic. you can double tap wasd to do like an evasive jump in that direction. you can also block by holding right click and then left clicking at the same time as hold right click will cause you to thrust your shield or blocking weapon forward, time this with an opponents swing and it will knock their weapon upwards allowing you to get a hit in and it only take 3 or 4 decent strikes to kill a guy.... not like darkfall were you gotta chase a guy for 10 miles beating the crap out of him before he dies.

Since this is an Aion forum, I'll note that Aion does give directional movement buffs as well. Meaning, if you move in a certain way, you affect your stats.

Forward movement:

* +10% Physical Damage

* +10% Magic Damage

* -20% Physical Defense

* -20% Magic Damage (this is probably a typo)

Backwards movement:

* +500% to Parry

* +500% to Block

* -70% Physical Damage

* -40% Movement Speed

Strafing:

* +300% to Evasion

* -70% Physical Damage

* -20% Movement Speed

Originally posted by Xasapis

Participating in a massive castle siege, where multiple Elyos alliances were pushing against a Balaur general and the inferior Asmodean force was trying to prevent them.
    Do an instance run in the Abyss
    Do quest runs in Morhreim, solo or group ones. Or some rifting.

The first one doesn't reward any experience, thus if you're a power-leveler, it the least rewarding endeavour. It's also the most fun one (for me). So I chose to skip levelling for a day and instead have some fun preventing the Elyos form capturing a castle.
    I fear that a certain MMO has pre-programmed quite a few people to follow the path to max levelling, ignoring anything in the way that it's fun. Of course, the same people that chose to ignore all the fun factors presented in the way to max level, then proceed to complain for the lack of fun things to do on their way to that max level. Ultimately, whose fault is that? 

Is it the game's fault that it's not even more streamlined, forcing people to acknowledge and play the fun parts or,
    Is it the individual's fault that chooses to ignore all the fun part because the only carrot worth aiming for is the max level?

Thank you, exactly my point. I play MMOs to have fun, and somehow along the way I actually go up in levels while enjoying my play time. Perhaps I am just a little tired of hearing so many people complain about the 'grind' when its how they chose to play, not the game, which causes that grind.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

the only problem is that if you try to move forward... you run right through the guy... if you try to go backward you become to far away to hit them unless you are ranged or they chase you, so your only real option its strafing around your target and how stupid looking would that be to see two guys fighting that are running around in a circle

Participating in a massive castle siege, where multiple Elyos alliances were pushing against a Balaur general and the inferior Asmodean force was trying to prevent them.

Is it the game's fault that it's not even more streamlined, forcing people to acknowledge and play the fun parts or,
    Is it the individual's fault that chooses to ignore all the fun part because the only carrot worth aiming for is the max level?

Thank you, exactly my point. I play MMOs to have fun, and somehow along the way I actually go up in levels while enjoying my play time. Perhaps I am just a little tired of hearing so many people complain about the 'grind' when its how they chose to play, not the game, which causes that grind.

well good for you buddy im glad to hear that you enjoy your play time. However, there is a large number of people out there that feel that killing the same mole hamster people and black claw tribe for 4 days straight because thats the only thing that you can do at that level gets old real quick. If i have to keep killing the same thing than whatever it is better be damn hard or im gonna get bored real fast.

You'd be surprised how much of a difference this forward buff gives when trying to push back the front line of attackers in a castle siege. Running backwards also helps a lot for the obvious reasons. Strafe is less useful in mass PvP and more in solo melee encounters. For the most part casters don't benefit from these buffs (besides running backwards), but then again, they aren't supposed to be in the front line of fire in a massive battle.

On an unrelated note, please make alliances during massive PvP battles, it's a major pain to heal people by click selecting them.

yeah but another problem is that abyss doesn't open up until level 25  and that's a long way to go to begin with, but then once you get there you enter the abyss to realize that you are merely free abyssal points for level 40's and 50's. Even if you travel in a group as soon as someone realizes that you are level 25 there coming after you first every time. So to actually "play" in the abyss you have to continue grinding to the level everyone else is at.

well good for you buddy im glad to hear that you enjoy your play time. However, there is a large number of people out there that feel that killing the same mole hamster people and black claw tribe for 4 days straight because thats the only thing that you can do at that level gets old real quick. If i have to keep killing the same thing than whatever it is better be damn hard or im gonna get bored real fast.

Ahhh I see now, you play Asmo...yeah we don't even play the same game. You play on that power-grind, hardcore WoW guild side of Aion where there are no quests to do, no storyline, only 4 mobs to kill, and nothing but constant grind on the way to end-game content. 

Elyos side is much different, we actually have tons of quests, hundreds of different types of mobs to hunt, scenic groves and waterfalls to languish under for hours while we slowly engulf ourselves in the story line of the game. You know what, we even talk to each other sometimes, joke and laugh too, sometimes we spend hours just helping our friends for little to no xp at all for us.

You guys actually spend 4 days on the Claw?? What are you trying to do, steal their first born of something? We have the Krall on our side, maybe 4 hours if things go bad. We just advertise for a group, everyone meets up, works together, and we move on with our lives. Sometimes walk away with a few more friends/Legion mates. What's up with the 4 days on the Claw??

Not really, according to my own experience. I get occasionally jumped by an Elyos group much higher than me, but the amount of exp difference is so big that it makes sense to do quests in the Abyss regardless.

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498
    Originally posted by Furor

also after hitting level 50 i will start ganking for abyss points

ROFL, and he we have Aion in a nutshell.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01 
    Ahhh, I see what it is now. you want NO grind, and again, be level 50 in a week. Well suck it up buddy, this isnt the game for you.

I wonder, will you be quitting when they increase XP exponentially and start handing things to people as they have done on Asian servers? 

From Massively:

"Based on the table shown in the notes, quest experience is being increased; to the tune of almost 500% on average (if our calculations are correct). The craziest example is a level 44 quest going from 13,300 to 703,820 experience (53 times as much)."

To each their own on the whole grind thing, same as with carebear VS hardcore or any other such preference but I really am curious if all these folks flaming people for wanting things handed to them are gonna turn around and flame Aion for making such changes.  Somehow, I seriously doubt it, they will just find another flame to toss at anyone who doesn't salivate for the game.

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by AgtSmith

also after hitting level 50 i will start ganking for abyss points

ROFL, and he we have Aion in a nutshell.

Ahhh, I see what it is now. you want NO grind, and again, be level 50 in a week. Well suck it up buddy, this isnt the game for you.

I wonder, will you be quitting when they increase XP exponentially and start handing things to people as they have done on Asian servers? 

From Massively:

"Based on the table shown in the notes, quest experience is being increased; to the tune of almost 500% on average (if our calculations are correct). The craziest example is a level 44 quest going from 13,300 to 703,820 experience (53 times as much)."

To each their own on the whole grind thing, same as with carebear VS hardcore or any other such preference but I really am curious if all these folks flaming people for wanting things handed to them are gonna turn around and flame Aion for making such changes.  Somehow, I seriously doubt it, they will just find another flame to toss at anyone who doesn't salivate for the game.

While I respect your opinion AgtSmith - I think most people are just saying the curve is fine as is... I don't think anyone is going to flame NCSoft for making more xp per quests because simply, we don't care. We just want to be left alone to play our shiny "grindfest" game :p hehehe (sorry I can't resist sometimes). 

Seriously though - its fine that they made the quest xp bigger - I have no problem with that... but I didn't think it was such a big issue before. More people at 50 - faster... isn't a terrible thing... you still need to work for it AND the cryers will still complain its too much of a grind. 

IMO its very smart of NCSoft to do this.. it will cater to more people and not make it completely ezmode like WoW currently is... so, instead of being 10 days played to get to max level it may now only take 7-8 days... still a solid accomplishment in terms of MMO's - but will slow it down enough to give the "casual" gamers a better chance to reach end game faster.

I don't have any problem with this.. and I doubt anyone who likes Aion cares one way or the other.

• maltaismaltais Member Posts: 5

I don't understand why people complain about Aion as being too grindy. I play with a few friends from WoW and we all enjoy it. Maybe its because were talking on vent while playing and just screwing around, but the leveling hasn't been bad, I haven't run out of quests yet (im level 31) and its overall really fun. I guess people should either just play it or don't play. For me, im sick of the same crap in wow, raids reset tuesdays, we finish everything by wednesday night and were bored again.. Aion is much better alternative to sitting around Dalaran bored chatting..Maybe Aion's end game is going to be worth all this 'grind' but right now im enjoying the trip a long the way.

Just my two cents..if its worth that much :P

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144
    Originally posted by sazabi

i think aion fans shouldnt be so defensive about this subject.
    aion IS a grind game.
    they should just admit - they love this shiny grindfest game.
    since calling things their true names (in this case calling this boring pathetic leveling = grind) is so much more comfortable when communicating with others... then i think everyone just do that.

and why don't WoW players admit that their game is a grind?

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498
    Originally posted by Cammy 

While I respect your opinion AgtSmith - I think most people are just saying the curve is fine as is... I don't think anyone is going to flame NCSoft for making more xp per quests because simply, we don't care. We just want to be left alone to play our shiny "grindfest" game :p hehehe (sorry I can't resist sometimes). 
    Seriously though - its fine that they made the quest xp bigger - I have no problem with that... but I didn't think it was such a big issue before. More people at 50 - faster... isn't a terrible thing... you still need to work for it AND the cryers will still complain its too much of a grind. 
    IMO its very smart of NCSoft to do this.. it will cater to more people and not make it completely ezmode like WoW currently is... so, instead of being 10 days played to get to max level it may now only take 7-8 days... still a solid accomplishment in terms of MMO's - but will slow it down enough to give the "casual" gamers a better chance to reach end game faster.
    I don't have any problem with this.. and I doubt anyone who likes Aion cares one way or the other.

I can appreciate what you said there, and how, but look around at what and how people are countering folks who say they didn't like it because it is a grind.  They are flaming them as carebears or people who want things handed to them and other such attacks.  The person I quoted in pointing out this change is a good example (quoted again below):

This is more the typical Aion fan responding to people who say they think the game is a grindy.  That is the type of person my comment was referring to.  And I should think each and every single one of them will quit Aion flaming Aion for being carebear when this goes live or they can simply change their names to Hypocrite to make it easy for everyone to know where they are coming from.

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• FraugnutzFraugnutz Member Posts: 69

What MMORPG isnt a grind? Seriously, if there is one tell me. All a developer can do , is try to make the grind (which is inevitable) a little bit more interesting than the last one was. It seems to me that the grind is a part of the platform. Do people buy FPS games and then git pissed off because they have to aim with a mouse , or because they have to shoot from a first person perspective? Doubt it. You dont want the grind? Then why the interest in MMORPG's? If there is indeed an MMORPG that is without a grind show it to me , and I will gladly eat my words. ( lol just try not to rub it in too much if you can enlighten me at all on this lol ).

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by AgtSmith

Originally posted by Cammy 

I can appreciate what you said there, and how, but look around at what and how people are countering folks who say they didn't like it because it is a grind.  They are flaming them as carebears or people who want things handed to them and other such attacks.  The person I quoted in pointing out this change is a good example (quoted again below):

This is more the typical Aion fan responding to people who say they think the game is a grindy.  That is the type of person my comment was referring to.  And I should think each and every single one of them will quit Aion flaming Aion for being carebear when this goes live or they can simply change their names to Hypocrite to make it easy for everyone to know where they are coming from.

You have to understand... when every second post on these forums is "Aion is a super grind fest - you are all noobs who are in denial - I gotz to level 11 - I knowz"... it puts people in a very defensive mind-state. Myself included....

If people would just leave it be and not be jackasses, there wouldn't be half as much flaming going on... true story :) 

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Tyvolus88

Originally posted by Jackio81

Just hit level 40 tonight. 39-40 in grinding party requires about 12 hours non stop.
    I am expecting 40-41 about 11-12 hours per level from now on. Not as bad as lineage 2.
    I noticed that fro level 35 the hours for party grinding increased about 1.5 hours.
    so from level 36 you have to grind mobs about 8 hours non stop per level.

Yeah you know you're going to get flamed now for even mentioning the word "grind" right....lol

These fanbois have gotten really touchy over this subject since they're aware it has a decent chance of driving off players here in the west leading to another mass MMO exodus like AoC and WAR before it.....0o

sorry kid, no signs of AION slowing down at all.  Full, ACTIVE servers, guilds are ACTIVE and FULL.  xfire holding up quite nicely, in fact its been going up.  I am having a blast and have been playing every day since launch.  But hey, you and all the other haters keep on hopin'. 

Every day AION keeps doing great I know people like you suffer -- That makes me feel real good.

Hmmm, sounds like you think you have a clear sense of what my reasons are saying what I do on these forums....thinking I'm not the type of person who wouldn't actually mind seeing an MMO come out where players care less about the grind and rushing to end-game and instead begin creating stronger bonds and communities similar to the effect how MMOs use to have.

But you see I'm very skeptical about that and I don't see that happening considering today's MMO crowd, today gamers are way to self-centered for that.

"Every day AION keeps doing great I know people like you suffer -- That makes me feel real good."

You do know that makes a bad person with issues right....lol

=P