Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updated: Aion level grind.

Comments

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by DoomsDay01 

Its about time that the mmo's stopped handing you levels on a silver platter. Its time you earned them just like the good ol days! Welcome back to the good ol days :)

its about time mmos start making the game's pve interesting, and not slapped together and worthless

they created a time sink, without any effort and people are taking it with open arms

its not about being handed everything on a silver platter, but paying 50$ + 15$ a month for something that in all reality is INCOMPLETE

So what your saying is that for 50 bucks for the game and 15 bucks a month, they should hand you a maxxed out level character so you can enjoy the "end game"? Is that what I am hearing?

Actually what I read from your post is that you are burned out on MMO style play period. Of course they created a time sink. do you think they want you to get to 50 in 3 days and then quit? No, they want you to play at a reasonable pace that wont outlevel the content they are putting in. You say INCOMPLETE? Its a freaking MMO. They update them all the time. This isn't a single player game where you beat it in 40 hours and throw it away. Seriously, you should look at staying away from mmo's for a while, you are burned out!

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

Its about time that the mmo's stopped handing you levels on a silver platter. Its time you earned them just like the good ol days! Welcome back to the good ol days :)

its about time mmos start making the game's pve interesting, and not slapped together and worthless

they created a time sink, without any effort and people are taking it with open arms

its not about being handed everything on a silver platter, but paying 50$ + 15$ a month for something that in all reality is INCOMPLETE

So what your saying is that for 50 bucks for the game and 15 bucks a month, they should hand you a maxxed out level character so you can enjoy the "end game"? Is that what I am hearing?

Actually what I read from your post is that you are burned out on MMO style play period. Of course they created a time sink. do you think they want you to get to 50 in 3 days and then quit? No, they want you to play at a reasonable pace that wont outlevel the content they are putting in. You say INCOMPLETE? Its a freaking MMO. They update them all the time. This isn't a single player game where you beat it in 40 hours and throw it away. Seriously, you should look at staying away from mmo's for a while, you are burned out!

I approve of this statement

no i EXPECT a complete game

not a game that grouping with my wife makes our grind 10x worse

grouping in a MMO... who would of guessed

killing mobs 6 levels higher then you, gets you as much xp in a duo as killing a mob 1 or 2 levels lower then you solo too funny!

few quests and a million xp to grind early on... garbage

What are you on about? I group with my wife too... and we certainly don't level x10 as slow like you are claiming. Do you lie much? Seriously... we started at launch, same time as guild mates (and we started grouping at level ONE) and made it to level 10 at around the exact same time. 

Yes, I do realize you only get half xp... but you also realize you kill mobs twice as fast? It really averages out and post 25, grouping is very much encouraged. You can kill elites and get a MASSIVE amount of xp - and that's very easy to do with 2 people. 

So - I'll ask again. Do you really know  what your talking about or are you just trolling?

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

no i EXPECT a complete game

not a game that grouping with my wife makes our grind 10x worse

grouping in a MMO... who would of guessed

killing mobs 6 levels higher then you, gets you as much xp in a duo as killing a mob 1 or 2 levels lower then you solo too funny!

few quests and a million xp to grind early on... garbage

Ahhh, I see what it is now. you want NO grind, and again, be level 50 in a week. Well suck it up buddy, this isnt the game for you. 

Seriously, grouping does not hinder you. you are killing things a lot faster than if you were doing it solo, so your xp gain is at least even or probably better than if you solo.

here is the odd thing about quests. I am 34. My quest book is FULL. 30/30. yet almost all of those are GROUP quests. So yes, there are not a lot of single person quests out there but it is actually encouraging you TO group. Again, by your definition of what you are expecting, quit playing MMO's and go play a single player game. You will be less stressed.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

i really do know what i'm talking about
    we just hit 23 tonight
    we have 2 BC quests we need to do
    the rest aside from morheim capaign quests (all we have it the lvl 27 active) are repeatable quests, garbage exp except for the pig one (17k after 10 kills)
    we did the lvl 25 campaign killing lvl 28s? with 100%  20% xp bonus and got 6.2 k a kill i think? its just slow as shit, slower then it should be IMO
    ... your telling me that its OK for us to have to kill same lvl mobs twice as fast for 2-3k when the level takes 1.6 mill from 22 to 23?

i just don't see it as anything but a grind fest, sorry you feel differently

I'm just curious here, when you do the quests, do you read what it wants then run directly to that spot and procede to kill ONLY what it needs, then run back and turn it in? The ole 'kill 10 pigs', run out kill 10 pigs, run back.

If thats all your doing in your duo than yes you will find your quests vanishing fast and your xp taking forever as you are intentionally forcing a grind on yourselves. Of course thats why they made those quests repeatable, for people who dont do anything but excatly what they are told.

Perhaps try to relax a bit, pick up a bunch of quests, and go out an explore. If you pick up some quest mobs along the way cool, if not, cool too. After a couple hours of enjoying the company of your wife in a fantasy world, then take a look at your journal and se if your close to finishing some of those quests.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I think a lot of people might be doing exactly that, aka kill exactly the number of mobs needed. It's probably enforced from other MMOs, where the drop rate from items were rather low, which meant that you needed to kill a considerable more of those mobs to get the amount of items needed (say kill 100 mobs to get 10 quest items from them). In Aion and for most quests the item drop rate is very good. Except a handful of quests, most mobs drop the quest item when killed. Bottom line, the amount of mobs needed to complete the quests overall is actually smaller than other MMOs that "feel" less grindy perhaps.

Personally I prefer things as they are. I prefer a high drop rate and the possibility to kill peripheral mobs if I feel to, as opposed to killing a considerable amount more mobs in the context of said quest.

Originally posted by Kaocan

we just hit 23 tonight
    the rest aside from morheim capaign quests (all we have it the lvl 27 active) are repeatable quests, garbage exp except for the pig one (17k after 10 kills)
    we did the lvl 25 campaign killing lvl 28s? with 100%  20% xp bonus and got 6.2 k a kill i think? its just slow as shit, slower then it should be IMO
    ... your telling me that its OK for us to have to kill same lvl mobs twice as fast for 2-3k when the level takes 1.6 mill from 22 to 23?

I'm just curious here, when you do the quests, do you read what it wants then run directly to that spot and procede to kill ONLY what it needs, then run back and turn it in? The ole 'kill 10 pigs', run out kill 10 pigs, run back.

If thats all your doing in your duo than yes you will find your quests vanishing fast and your xp taking forever as you are intentionally forcing a grind on yourselves. Of course thats why they made those quests repeatable, for people who dont do anything but excatly what they are told.

Perhaps try to relax a bit, pick up a bunch of quests, and go out an explore. If you pick up some quest mobs along the way cool, if not, cool too. After a couple hours of enjoying the company of your wife in a fantasy world, then take a look at your journal and se if your close to finishing some of those quests.

no what we do is get a cluster of quests

kill everything on the way to them, do like 3-5 quests at a time before we turn in

but as a group, with the cut in half xp you end up doing more quests faster then someone solo ... you know the people saying they have tons of quests left?

Umm... I level with a partner as I mentioned previously.. and I have a TON of quests... 

Like... 20+ left ... to do....

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by 1niceone1

Somebody call the fire brigade, The flames are a comin'. But in all seriousness, you want grind? Go play Maple story...

OR RuneScape

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by Balzi3

what happens when u get lvl 50? will it come up saying "YOU ARE THE GOD OF THIS GAME" or nothing will happen you will hit 50 and go to sleep... wake up and find 10000 more lvl 50s.... who was first? grinding from lvl 40 -> 50.... seriously? you have to atleast kill a million if not more! :|

Your a DumbAss its a personal achievement and he can run around in the lowbie zones showing off a bit, He knows the novelty is going to wear off in a couple weeks

Originally posted by Kaocan

we just hit 23 tonight

no what we do is get a cluster of quests

kill everything on the way to them, do like 3-5 quests at a time before we turn in

but as a group, with the cut in half xp you end up doing more quests faster then someone solo ... you know the people saying they have tons of quests left?

I knwo what your saying about the reduced xp in a duo - on regular mobs yes, I just dont have a the trouble with running out of quests. Thats the part which has me confused, I know that from time to time I have to swap between Eltnen and Theo to get more as we level up, but there are always more if you know where to look for them. Are you playing Elyos or Asmo? And are you looking only in major quest hubs or pickin up the ones from out in the field at the remote quest givers? Just seems there is something your missing. I have an over abundance of quests most times, only running below 10 just before I level, and filling back up to 25-30 right after.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

Protection in numbers is also good when questing/levelling in Abyss. It's also seem more rewarding, despite the occasional attack by a (much) higher level assassin *raises fist*.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Protection in numbers is also good when questing/levelling in Abyss. It's also seem more rewarding, despite the occasional attack by a (much) higher level assassin *raises fist*.

Yes, but you also have to remember the 'normal' mobs in the Abyss give more xp than the same level normal mob outside the Abyss. They anticipated the protection in numbers concept there.

That's why I mentioned that it's more rewarding.

You seem to get more exp (at least 20% more than a PvE area), abyss points, abyss specific crafting parts and more money or misc loot).

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

the fastest way to level is to grind... plain and simple... i did the math and you spend more time running from point to point that if you were to just stay in the same area and kill mobs a level or two above you over and over again.

also this game is not for me because i was looking for a game that was more engaging than wow... if anything this game is even less engaging and far easier. You don't even have to walk yourself up to mobs cause your character autoruns to the mob when you right click on them.

I'm just plain sick of the whole "targeting" style of gameplay. Although the character customization is impressive alot of the mechanics and animations in the game are a let down. Exactly what is stopping me from using my wings except in these selected zones?

Invisible walls, the amazing ability to walk on riverbeds but the inability to swim, and the weird "flail like a fish" animation when you fall off even small cliffs (despite the fact that you have wings).  Also im the kind of person that sees a mountain and expects to be able to climb it, however this game is so linear you can barely stray off the set path.

However, this game is fantastic if you want to play WoW but you don't want to say that you play WoW. You can tell your friends with your nose held high..."word of warcraft... hahaha... certainly not... i play aion thank you very much"

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

One can gauge the level you reached by just the way you describe the game hehe. I'd say no more than 15 tops. :)

one can gauge how snobby you are by your referral to yourself as "one", level 20 was about as far as i could stomach. grinding in a party... grinding with wings... grinding without wings.... its still grinding. if a game is gonna make me grind using the same 5 or 6 buttons for weeks on end then they can at least allow macros like ultima or something. playing this game feels like twisting bottle caps on bottles on an assembly line

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

My apologies if I came out as snobby, that wasn't my intention.

You can use macros in this game. Press U for the macro menu to pop up. There are some premade examples there to help you started.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

Please what you mean by grind. Ill give you two options, since i dont know how Aion plays. I got into CB and OB but took to long to DL and it had to be done in one session.

1) Quest Driven

2) Mob slaying/ group mob slaying Driven.

If its number 2 then I'm cool with that but if its just hours of kill 10 X, collect X this, then that sucks balls.

-Swoogie

no i mean like, press a button and go make a sandwich while my character does all the boring shit for me and i just have to come back now and again to vend stuff or maybe if i actually want to do a quest or something.

the game feature both option but the first one is kinda pointless because by the time you run from point to point to do the quests you can stay in the same area and kill enough mobs to double the experience you would get from turning them in.

to calrify - kill x amount of y quest

the mobs themselves give around 4 - 5k... turning the quest in for killing them gives about 10k - 20k xp... so that means that unless you can get to quest giver to turn in and back to the killing grounds in less time than its takes to kill 2 - 4 mobs... then you might as well stay where you are and just keep killing

Originally posted by illorion

the game feature both option but the first one is kinda pointless because by the time you run from point to point to do the quests you can stay in the same area and kill enough mobs to double the experience you would get from turning them in.

So then most people set up "camps" and kill ing groups? Or is there a lot of soloing going on?

Luckily, the game has not incorporated a build-in botting program.

Why would anyone want a game that it plays itself? Well, besides Settlers, but that was a cooling experience in its own way.

Originally posted by Swoogie

So then most people set up "camps" and kill ing groups? Or is there a lot of soloing going on?

Either that or they form groups and go after elites. It depends on the level range really.

Btw, you can't really set a camp, the mob respawn is not that fast. But you'll see multiple groups roaming the elite mob areas.

again you can do eigther one... some people group up to grind and some do it solo

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by Swoogie

Either that or they form groups and go after elites. It depends on the level range really.

Btw, you can't really set a camp, the mob respawn is not that fast. But you'll see multiple groups roaming the elite mob areas.

To me , Aion sounds like the first game to incorporate group play into the world other then instances since EQ. I like that. Even if I was roaming, I am roaming with others and enjoying it. Aion sounds promising from what i have heard. I wish it luck. Maybe its what the genre needs.