Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Single Player RPG with combat like WoW

ZataraZatara Member UncommonPosts: 42

I was wondering if anyone knows of a single player rpg with combat that is like that of World of Warcraft. Something with current graphics or similar graphics to WoW as well.

I really dont have time to do much in an mmo these days, but I really do/did like the combat system in WoW and would like to recapture that feeling in a single player rpg.

I have only played through only a couple rpgs before (FF7 and KOTOR) so I have a very limited experience.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• bastiibastii Member Posts: 137

Europe and more specifically Germany is king right now in Western single player RPG. I especially recommend Drakensang (although it has a huge skillset, be warned). Risen was fun too (very easy to play and intuitive). Gothic 3 is awesome (although it had some bugs). Haven't played DragonAgeOrigins yet so can't comment on that one. Keep an eye on Arcania.

edit: I almost forgot, Divinity 2 was released a few weeks ago. People say it's a really good game, haven't tried it yet myself. The graphics are amazing in that one.

Drakensang (demo out)

Risen (brand new demo out)

Gothic 3 (demo out),

DragonAgeOrigins

Arcania, a Gothic tale (NOT YET RELEASED)

Divinity 2:

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Darkensang is more like Neverwinter nights. Great game, but starts to verge on boring after some times.

Risen however looks very promising

• ZataraZatara Member UncommonPosts: 42

wow, thanks bastii!

I will definitely be checking these out!

• SimarilSimaril Member Posts: 4

I understand you're looking for high quality graphics, but I think a lot of the mainstream rgps are worth a play through.  If you liked FF VII you might like 8 through 10.  I've picked up the OLD final fantasy games for gameboy since FF2 (snes) was my first rpg and portability is nice sometimes and I found it for $7!  I played WoW, EQOA, FFXI and others, but those old games offer some great fun.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

You might enjoy Hellgate: London. It's very similar to WoW in my opinion.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• carlosjuerocarlosjuero Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Palebane

You might enjoy Hellgate: London. It's very similar to WoW in my opinion.

The only real similarity that HGL has w/ WoW is that they both have skill trees...

That said, I would suggest playing this game myself, I enjoy it and wish that the dev studio didn't have to shut down :/ (I still hate you Bill Roper)

I think I am going to give Risen a go. I tried out the demo last night and it was pretty good. A few glitches here and there in the video/camera but it was overall pretty fun.

I was looking into Drakensang as well but one review I read said it is a group rpg where you have a team of character you go around with. it looks really good, but I am wanting it to be more of a solo experience.

As far as the Final Fantasies go, I did try to play 8 a long time ago just never really got into it, didn't like the look of the characters in 9 and did play 10 breifly back in the day on my ps2. I am looking more for an action based combat rpg though like those listed by bastii.

I may give Hellgate a go if it is still open, but Im not too big into the gore/horror rpgs.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

• carlosjuerocarlosjuero Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Zatara

I think I am going to give Risen a go. I tried out the demo last night and it was pretty good. A few glitches here and there in the video/camera but it was overall pretty fun.

I was looking into Drakensang as well but one review I read said it is a group rpg where you have a team of character you go around with. it looks really good, but I am wanting it to be more of a solo experience.

As far as the Final Fantasies go, I did try to play 8 a long time ago just never really got into it, didn't like the look of the characters in 9 and did play 10 breifly back in the day on my ps2. I am looking more for an action based combat rpg though like those listed by bastii.

I may give Hellgate a go if it is still open, but Im not too big into the gore/horror rpgs.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

The servers for HGL are closed down for MP play (except in Asia I believe), but the SP game experience is good.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

I was wondering if anyone knows of a single player rpg with combat that is like that of World of Warcraft. Something with current graphics or similar graphics to WoW as well.
    I really dont have time to do much in an mmo these days, but I really do/did like the combat system in WoW and would like to recapture that feeling in a single player rpg.

I have only played through only a couple rpgs before (FF7 and KOTOR) so I have a very limited experience.

Do you mean an RPG with ridiculously OP'ed gear and easy game play? Kidding aside (Or am I), ever tried Dungeon Siege games? Pretty fun. Not really sure if it's the style of combat your looking for or not. It's more like Gauntlet I suppose.....but a lot fo fun none the less.

Originally posted by Goatgod76

Do you mean an RPG with ridiculously OP'ed gear and easy game play? Kidding aside (Or am I), ever tried Dungeon Siege games? Pretty fun. Not really sure if it's the style of combat your looking for or not. It's more like Gauntlet I suppose.....but a lot fo fun none the less.

I hear what you are saying on the OP'ed gear and stuff. I quit WoW a little while ago. I have been jonesin to play that type of combat, but am really tired of that game so I will not return. And I am recently married so I don't have long streches of time to play any mmo, even to do a dungeon or something, so I have turned to single player rpgs.  

Im not really looking for the single mouse button click masher like Titan Quest or similar games where you spam click on your enemy. I read somewhere that Dungeon Seige is like that. If it isn't the review is wrong then and I may give it a shot.

Though I do like some button mashing (like skills 1-10) as I did play a rogue in WoW. I really wish I could export my rogue and play it in a single player type game, thats pretty much the experience I am looking for.