Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concept: SoE run Origin/Classic Servers

123457»

Comments

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    [Mod Edit]

Very well said. $OE itself is a major reason why many  potential and veteran players will not invest in any of its games. It is apparent that those at $OE (which includes Smedley and his toadies) have failed to learn lessons form past business blunders and poor customer service. Most of all, $OE hasn't learned how important a a good reputation is, let alone how  to earn it and keep it.

• sage69sage69 Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Kazara

[Mod Edit]

Very well said. $OE itself is a major reason why many  potential and veteran players will not invest in any of its games. It is apparent that those at $OE (which includes Smedley and his toadies) have failed to learn lessons form past business blunders and poor customer service. Most of all, $OE hasn't learned how important a a good reputation is, let alone how  to earn it and keep it.

after all the controversy you could probably hit 100k subs initially just from curious people. however sooner or later they would have to deal with SOE...and SOE would have to deal with them.

• AzarealAzareal Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by sage69

[Mod Edit]

after all the controversy you could probably hit 100k subs initially just from curious people. however sooner or later they would have to deal with SOE...and SOE would have to deal with them.

Perhaps SoE can hit 100k on 'walk-ins' but it is very unlikely that they will succeed in pulling in anyone who has had past dealings with them on any level. I believe that their thought process would be similar to mine, i.e. whoa, they're doing classic servers ? Cool !; wait...it's soe and smedley ; do I Really want to go through all that crap again ? automated customer service responses (that serves absolutely no purpose), no feedback on reports, straight out bull crap, totally ignoring the customer base, dubious GMs, broken quests/skills with no fix in sight or even a response on possible fixes, or worse - fixes without any prior update to let you know, account issues, etcetcetc - bleh ! nm I'll just go watch the kettle boil instead.

Hence, my extreme disappointment over DCUO being done by soe. Really wanted to play a good superhero game too.

• TrioxicTrioxic Member Posts: 65

If I said it once I said it a thousand times I would play preNGE but only if SOE does not own the game, also, the engine is definitly dated now, SWG Version 2 would be in order, another thing Sony and SOE would in no way have any connection to it -- I do not buy any of there products since NGE, I know many many peeps that would love to play a Star Wars game and that many of us are waiting for is the Bioware SWTOR because none of us trust SOE or sony at any level. WE WERE PLAYING THE DREAM of STAR WARS and they took it all away... evil evil evil... Face it when SWTOR comes out and you ask what about the SWG game and the response will be... "What is SWG?" Let the game die an honorable death for it has suffered enough!

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Azareal

Originally posted by sage69

Perhaps SoE can hit 100k on 'walk-ins' but it is very unlikely that they will succeed in pulling in anyone who has had past dealings with them on any level.

SOE typically can't see past the 'walk-in' phase with their games as it stands.

• LecheHombreLecheHombre Member Posts: 1

I made an account just to post in this thread.

I tolerated the NGE for quite a while, finally giving up in disgust and canceling my subscriptions (2) about a year and a half ago.  Even before the NGE hit, I had lost most if not all of my faith in SOE in terms of them being able to take the game in the right direction.  But the friends, guildmates, and community at large made it worth dealing with SOE's missteps.

The transition from pre-CU to CU was handled poorly -- nowhere near as badly as the NGE, but still quite bad.  That being said, I liked about 90% of the changes and content that came with the CU.  The big caveat was introducing Combat Levels.  Had that been left out of the CU, I would have been 100% satisfied with the changes.  I have a whole lot of good memories from both pre-CU and CU eras, but probably the most fun that I had with the mechanics of the game came during the CU.

When the NGE came, I was more disgruntled than I had been with the CU, but I was 50% resigned to accepting that SOE would do what they had planned whether we liked it or not, and 50% honestly hopeful that it might pan out in the long term as I felt the CU did.  It took a long time for me to accept that the direction the game was going was just taking it further and further away from what I had enjoyed playing and what I wanted to keep playing.

At this point, I don't regret that I stuck around past the NGE and tried to get some enjoyment out of it.  I regret that those like myself who did not cancel subscriptions immediately after the NGE were probably considered by SOE to be proof that they were on the right track.  But I did get at least a little bit of fun out of it, and I maintained ties with a community of friends (that was perpetually shrinking) for a little bit longer than I would have.

I have often wondered about SOE bringing back some "classic" servers.  After the free character transfers away from some of the dead ones I thought that it would be pretty easy to close some of those in NGE terms, and roll out the classics onto them.  Even now, years later, I would jump at the chance to play pre-CU or CU mechanics again.  Some of the comments here suggest that they wouldn't trust SOE not to just run them into the ground again.  Well, neither do I, but there are two things that mitigate that for me:

1)  I think I would have enough fun that I would consider it worth $15 a month to play pre-CU or CU, even if I thought that the servers might be taken down the next month.  A situation that seemed long-term stable would be better, but I would accept the opportunity to play even without that.

2) SOE does *not* want to divide development effort into multiple lines.  I imagine that in the very unlikely event that they decided to roll out classic servers, they would do so only with the disclaimer that they are "dead ends" in terms of development / content / bugfixes / etc.  And frankly, I would find that infinitely more comforting than SOE saying "we're sorry, we realize that we really screwed up with the NGE, so we're going to bring back classic servers and continue to develop them forward", which would inevitably result in them f***ing stuff up again.  SOE's apathy and desire to see subscribers only as sources of $$$ would work in our favor for once.

So, to answer the OP's question: yes, I'd play again.  I'd even pay $15 a month to play.  As a primarily PvE player, my answer remains consistent for each of the three choices: pre-publish 9, immediately pre-CU, or CU immediately pre-NGE.  I would accept and enjoy any/all of them.  If they made 1 classic server for each of those situations, or if I had to vote about which one of the three I would be most interested in, I'd personally go for immediately pre-NGE.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by BadgerSmaker
    Disclaimer: I do not work for SoE, nor have I ever, nor will I ever.  I once was part of a player volunteer program that SoE ran but that was about it, I have no say in what SoE does.
    With that out of the way, I thought it would be interesting to discuss how SoE could go about Origin/Classic SWG Servers, if they ever had the time, resources and inclination to bring them up.
    I discussed this with SWG Developers long ago and they seemed keen on the idea, but the live game always takes presedence so this was always a pipe-dream.
    It's fun to talk about dreams though, so what would you like to see in the way of Origin/Classic SWG Servers?  They would likely be brought up as part of the Test Center servers and receive only maintenance updates, no additional content.
    Which patch level would you want to play, if at all?
    Patch Level
    Pre-CU: Pre-publish 9
    Pre-CU: (Literally just before the Combat Upgrade)
    CU: Just before the NGE.

I do not work for SOE , but you knew that! I choose Literally just before the Combat Upgrade. It was when I first confronted SOE in person at Celebrations 3 and I first meet Tiggs ( still a much better person then her former company).

It would be the restoration of my gameplay and more $$$$ importantly my business with SOE.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan