Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concept: SoE run Origin/Classic Servers

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Probably everything up to holocrons.  The holo grind and everything after was kinda crap, even though I did like seeing the occasional jedi.  But after awhile there were just too many.

• Unrivaled1Unrivaled1 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by phlay

Originally posted by tillamook

I pretty much moved on and can't see pre-cu being anything more than a novelty for me. I did my grinds in that game, played the content I wanted to play, unlocked Jedi, I don't think I would want to do it again, but that's just me.

I have to agree with Tillamook, I unlocked jedi pre-patch 9 and played before holos were available, ran a guild, built a city, did 31 profs and moved on. 

Tillamook is this the same that was in the Dark Paladins?

No one laments the loss of Pre-CU SWG more than I (and for the record I preferred Pre-Pub 9). Hardly a week of online gaming goes by where I don't intensely miss what we all had with that game. I am looking forward to SW:TOR but I am worried that it is going to be too story focused. The more focus on story, the less "sandbox" the feel of the game will be, imo.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I still have many many wonderful memories of the time I spent playing SWG but those days are long gone. Even if I could play on a Pre-CU server right now, I wouldnt...the magic is gone. SOE destroyed the game and the community that made SWG so great with it. I will never buy anything that SOE is involved in again. EQ, PS, EQ2, SWG, VG...it took me long enough but I finally saw the problem with each of these games.

To this day I still think SWG was one of the best games ever released, but that doesn't mean it would be successful in todays market. KOTOR is a great game, but how many people are actively playing it right now? Sure its fun to install and play for a day or two but the desire to play it over and over is gone.

I havent felt the magic I felt when I played SWG in any other game but Fallen Earth is getting there. A friend of mine bought FE yesterday, downloaded/installed/patched it in about 2 hours and the first thing he tells me in game was "feels alot like Galaxies when we started."

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592
    Originally posted by Shayde

That's like saying "Let's raise the Titanic and offer cruises on it".

LMAO!!!  THat is so funny...but sad at the same time.

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

This has been discussed to boredom countless of times. I personally think there is no chance of this happening, it simply isn't economically viable.

a) They would release a pre-CU build. Let's face it., the game was very buggy and glitchy at that point. So they would need to budget development work.

b) No enough people want this.

c) When I said economically viable, I did not mean profitable. Yes, the servers might magically somehow be able to turn out a porfit. Not very probably, but certainly possible. Even if this is the case bringing in official pre-cu servers would still not be considered because it would be a waste of man-hours on SOE's part. Barely turning out a profit is not what conglemorates like Sony are into.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

I see if this was ever done who would play on the NGE servers?

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I don't know if classic servers would fail to be profitable. 

Truthfully I think they would be more popular than they current game is, which would force soe to make a choice between creating a new team to work on the old game or shifting members of the current game to support the old. 

The current team struggles with the current game, so I doubt very much they would have any chance of doing any quality work with the old code.

Not that it matters.  Soe has to many projects already, not enough talent to make them work and still can't figure out what players want in a game. 

• stillkillinstillkillin Member Posts: 221

this is what i want

$OE will do a full rollback to the pre-cu before the cu

they will also come out and say sorry to all the vets i am talking i want to see a full on leter about how wrong they where

they will give any vet returning to the game a full six months free

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Just relax.  Wait until SWKOR is released and have SOE's back on the wall.  Watch an emulator or two pop up between then possibly and get 10-15k subs.  Then watch SOE release PRE-CU servers.  SOE is a money hungry S.O.B.  It'll take losing that much more before they decide WTF and give it a shot to get people back.  And guess what? It'll work.  SWKOR will sink then. (and that is my opinion, I fail to see how it'll be any good after the crap mass effect was, again my opinion.)

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

the dream is dead. get over it.

• PipodeMoleasPipodeMoleas Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

Disclaimer: I do not work for SoE, nor have I ever, nor will I ever.  I once was part of a player volunteer program that SoE ran but that was about it, I have no say in what SoE does.
    With that out of the way, I thought it would be interesting to discuss how SoE could go about Origin/Classic SWG Servers, if they ever had the time, resources and inclination to bring them up.
    I discussed this with SWG Developers long ago and they seemed keen on the idea, but the live game always takes presedence so this was always a pipe-dream.
    It's fun to talk about dreams though, so what would you like to see in the way of Origin/Classic SWG Servers?  They would likely be brought up as part of the Test Center servers and receive only maintenance updates, no additional content.
    Which patch level would you want to play, if at all?
    Patch Level
    Pre-CU: Pre-publish 9
    Pre-CU: (Literally just before the Combat Upgrade)
    CU: Just before the NGE.

Badger I swear to fucking God, if you can do your best to make this happen and it does, by God I will fly to fucking England and shake your hand.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

If it did happen, it would probably require a loot card to unlock access:

forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Badger, interesting premise to be sure.

My initial reaction was "not a chance in He$$", but after thinking about all the discussions on vent/ingame-NGE, etc., I can honestly say I do not know.  Probably, it would depend on how good ST:O and/or SW:TOR goes, for me at least.

Interesting that this came up now.  They will have 12 servers sitting around doing nothing in a matter of days.  Sad to think that Kauri had to die to get this to happen.  Could it be too late and could there be too much baggage that surrounds SOE?  Who really knows till they do it.  It might, indeed, be more populated than the current game is today.  It's pretty much a given that there would be more subs than they have today.  How many more?  Remains to be seen.

BTW, I'm talking to a beta "vet" now on vent and he and his family, said they'd go back.  8 accounts right there.

1st question I'd have is;  will they allow for character transfers from NGE servers to classic servers or will the "grind" be a way of life, yet again?  I'd have to agree with Starmond on the day before NGE due to not wanting to lose musti. 

Will Lorin Jameson actually allow this to happen?  And he did tell me in 06, via tel-con, that a pre-CU server was not an option but CU was as they tried it on their internal servers.

Oh, BTW, I'd draw a binding contract, for free, for players that SOE would have to sign to NEVER do a massive CHANGE to those "classic" servers, and if they did, we'd all get ALL our money back as liquidated damages.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

i tried out the game, and while it wasn't that bad i think it needs a full graphic overhaul (jumping and other animations were just bad...at least from the stand point of what people are used to now a days) and combat overhaul..etc...to many issues that you can maybe ignore but i just couldn't.

i think anyone can see what the potential from this game could have been, too bad they won't try to realize it...perhaps they could do a SWG2..after all they seem to be planning a Planetside 2

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I would give her a shot again. I think a lot of people saying "no" would probably give it a try too. I'd definitely miss the community I used to have, but if they just put out one server, it would probably pack up pretty quick, and new communities would form. I'd be back in a second as long as it was anything pre-NGE and there were no SOE gimmics and milking like trading cards and such.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

Would be hard to pick 1 of those 3. At all 3 times it was just starting to get really good when they revamped/changed/nerfed something or another and ruined it.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417

Although  I have a soft spot for SWG pre-cu purely because there  will never be a game which had a crafting system like it. I would not pay SOE to play it. I admit I have re-subbed recently but that was only to see a few friends still playing ( didn't have their contact details outside of the game).

However I can never trust a company who pulled the rug from under the feet of so many players during two different eras of the game and totally ignored them and their feedback. I can not forgive a company who totally ***** up when rolling out the CU on my server only to have to roll back to a point two weeks before the CU was implemented which meant I lost all the armour I had crafted, millions of credits and millions of resources.

I remember when someone emailed me the plans for the combat upgrade before the CU was even announced I knew there and then that the game was going to get fubared as the changes affected crafting way to much - I could see exactly what they had planned for crafting and I was right.

I remember how much of a cocky ****** Blixtev was when we were testing the Armorsmith changes on TC and he lied saying he was taking all feed back from players etc and would make changes, this was round the time when  the AS correspondent quit the guy couldn't understand how dumbed down the AS profession was becoming.  The Weaponsmith changes were even worse I  lost a lot of in game friends due to that.

I remember how they banned players on forum,  in game, deleted posts on the forums just for protesting about the changes in the  CU. What's worse they did the same again with the NGE to the players who stuck around.

Even if they did bring pre-cu back it would not be the same as the community made that game work and that is lost for good, you would get some people return but it would never be the same. If I want to play pre-cu I'll stick with one of the non flying birds which looks like it will actually make it to release which my old server community will be playing.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

I'd never play swg again in any form unless it was F2P since I'm never giving soe another dime of my money ever again.  I was thinking of buying Planetside on Direct2Drive since they have a deal where its only $5 but then I realized some of that $5 would gone to soe.  Soe still hasn't sufficiently apologized or been honest about the whole nge situation for me to trust them again.  Everyone makes mistakes, but they still haven't learned from them or issued a real apology.  No video game, no matter how fun it is, is worth compromising your principles over.

BTW, theres some awesome games for sale on  Direct2Drive right now for only $5.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

I would give her a shot again. I think a lot of people saying "no" would probably give it a try too.

Theres no doubt that the lure of playing again is great, and in the past I would have agreed with you. But now, with so much unscrupulous behaviour from SoE, I just cannot trust them to not do something to ruin the SWG experience again. And no ammount of assurances from SoE would change my mind. I would need to see proof over time that they can stay true to their word, and not use some kind of double-talk to justify screwing us over again.

• ebonfireebonfire Member UncommonPosts: 160

Off the top of my head..  NO ADK Legendary weapons, scale down defense caps on melee classes by about 10%, and remove mind poison/fire completely..  I'd play it again.

People forget about the 'CURB before JTL' movement on the forums before the CU..  because temploiting made pvp highly unbalanced.  Bring back the combat queue, button mashing, intense ego driven pvp, Starport camping, and all the other glorious things about the old game.  There were about 10 major things that destroyed the competitive balance, and they would just be a mess if reintroduced in today's gaming climate if they were not fixed. 

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    Originally posted by ebonfire

Off the top of my head..  NO ADK Legendary weapons, scale down defense caps on melee classes by about 10%, and remove mind poison/fire completely..  I'd play it again.
    People forget about the 'CURB before JTL' movement on the forums before the CU..  because temploiting made pvp highly unbalanced.  Bring back the combat queue, button mashing, intense ego driven pvp, Starport camping, and all the other glorious things about the old game.  There were about 10 major things that destroyed the competitive balance, and they would just be a mess if reintroduced in today's gaming climate if they were not fixed. 

I always thought that perhaps an interesting fix to swg would have been the removal of secondary buffs (or at least converting those buffs into something like xp bonuses). This would IMO bring back the effects of encumbrance to armour and weapons therefore re-adding a huge dynamic to the game for both combat characters and crafters. Also it would give people the ability to fine tune their HAM and encourage more interaction with Image Designers.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

I loved the potential of the Pre CU system but the game was broken and had no content. I wouldn't want to play a game that will always stand still and never advance because for me what made me so excited for SWG Pre CU is all the things they could have done.

Now the game is just dated and if they don't improve the engine and the UI and all that in the Pre CU then...... no I don't want to come back.

SWG Pre CU was a wonderful mmorpg back in the day with so much potential, just a shame SOE and LA ruined it.

Now make me SWG pre cu 2 and I'm there!

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832

I would pass simply because it is like running into an old girlfriend. Sure its kinda fun at first but then that wears off and you suddenly remember all of the crap you had to put up with. In this case, the list is pretty freaking long. What makes it more resistable is the fact that the girl 2 doors down seems to be offering the same thing for free and with no strings attached.

Nah. You broke up for a reason. Keep it that way.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

I think I would probably play it. I miss Pre-CU, big time. Within a year or so of the NGE I would have jumped in on this thread with both feet like a mad man, but now I'm feeling a little more reserved.

SOE has proven time and time again, that they have no qualms about screwing you over. Just look at the latest garbage they're putting their EQ2 customers though with regards to the Legends of Norath debacle.

I would LOVE to be playing Pre-CU, but I just don't think I could allow myself to get attached to my Toon the way I was back then (blissfully ignorant of the fact that it could be taken away at any moment).

And without the AWESOME community we used to have, it simply wouldn't be the same.

If it came back, I'd probably log in, but I'm not holding my breath.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Suvroc

I always thought that perhaps an interesting fix to swg would have been the removal of secondary buffs (or at least converting those buffs into something like xp bonuses). This would IMO bring back the effects of encumbrance to armour and weapons therefore re-adding a huge dynamic to the game for both combat characters and crafters. Also it would give people the ability to fine tune their HAM and encourage more interaction with Image Designers.

That's pretty much the way my thoughts on the matter run.  Except that I would just remove the doc buffs for the secondary stats, and leave in the shorter/weaker spices and Chef buffs for those who want a tactical advantage.