Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concept: SoE run Origin/Classic Servers

Disclaimer: I do not work for SoE, nor have I ever, nor will I ever.  I once was part of a player volunteer program that SoE ran but that was about it, I have no say in what SoE does.

With that out of the way, I thought it would be interesting to discuss how SoE could go about Origin/Classic SWG Servers, if they ever had the time, resources and inclination to bring them up.

I discussed this with SWG Developers long ago and they seemed keen on the idea, but the live game always takes presedence so this was always a pipe-dream.

It's fun to talk about dreams though, so what would you like to see in the way of Origin/Classic SWG Servers?  They would likely be brought up as part of the Test Center servers and receive only maintenance updates, no additional content.

Which patch level would you want to play, if at all?

Patch Level

Pre-CU: Pre-publish 9

Pre-CU: (Literally just before the Combat Upgrade)

CU: Just before the NGE.

Comments

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Hmm, I would play any of them up to the NGE......I would prefer up to, but not including, the CU.  The lvls kinda made it dumb.

Not sure what update 9 did....is that the old man and force sensitive stuff?  If so I actually liked that.

If SOE were to make such a server, I would cancel all my other accounts and jump in....I am serious.  There was no other game that allowed you to do whatever you wanted.

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

This has already been talked about. SoE won't do it because they feel the NGE was a step forward in the game.  This interview says t just can't be done

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/gameId/6/setView/features/loadFeature/461

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Honestly Badger your attempt is commendable but I'd say the time has long past for SoE to repair the rift between them and their ex-customers. For this to appease me they'd have to prove that they're worthy of my trust, and I'm not going to be blindsided with any trading card games/MRT's, or unwanted "refinements" - and I cannot see this happening any time soon. Also a change in leadership at SoE would be the first requirment for my satisfaction, and I do feel this will be the case soon enough.

But if SoE could be trusted again I would choose pre-publish 9, however as you say this is only a dream.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

As an old fan of the game I would not really care what version was put up.  I would prefer anything without holocrons and grinding force xp as I think that was the true downfall of the game.  

As a current gamer it doesn't matter what versions soe might try to revive, I would not play it.  At this point, changing the version of the game will not change the company itself. 

Since the company has not changed I see very little reason that a different version of SWG would not just end up being mismanaged in the same fashion. 

• ThalosVipavThalosVipav Member Posts: 273

If I had to choose a version it would be pre-Publish 9. The old man irritated me... But honestly anything pre-NGe would be good.

However, as you said, pipe dream. I have long since given up on SWG and on SOE. It would take alot more then just a classic server to get me back into the game. The NGE didnt only take away the feeling of the game, it took away all the stuff that I had worked so hard to get in the game. Rare drop weapons with nasty dots on them, the composite armor I spent a ton of money on because of the high resists on it, etc. This stuff is small, unimportant to anyone else, but I still remember it fondly.

The other thing SOE would have to do is bring back all the friends I made over the years. All the people I interacted with. The merchants, the dancers and musicians, even the enemies that became like friends. The people were the biggest asset SWG had, and SOE cant recode those back into the game.

Thalos Vipav
    Star Wars Galaxies: R.I.P.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by mmcguire2

This has already been talked about. SoE won't do it because they feel the NGE was a step forward in the game.  This interview says t just can't be done
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/gameId/6/setView/features/loadFeature/461

Woah, that was in 2006?  I spoke to the Devs about this a lot more recently than that, I think they could do it and that they would probably enjoy doing it, but whether it's worth doing at this point?  Not sure.

As said, it was pretty much the community and the fact that it was such an innovative game at the time that made SWG what it was, time has certainly marched on.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

I pretty much moved on and can't see pre-cu being anything more than a novelty for me. I did my grinds in that game, played the content I wanted to play, unlocked Jedi, I don't think I would want to do it again, but that's just me.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

Woah, that was in 2006?  I spoke to the Devs about this a lot more recently than that, I think they could do it and that they would probably enjoy doing it, but whether it's worth doing at this point?  Not sure.
    As said, it was pretty much the community and the fact that it was such an innovative game at the time that made SWG what it was, time has certainly marched on.

Exactly that.  And SOE destroyed that community.  I seriously doubt they could ever get it back and I would never trust SOE enough to try to help them get it back.

No community, no SWG.

I can only speak for myself when I say- Too late.  Way too late.  Even if SOE did a 180 and suddenly offered preCU servers, I would not touch them.  Way too much bad blood.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

The only reason I ever found this site was because of the NGE...

for a long time I was a very vocal supporter of classic servers.  Simply because for the people who actually played the NGE I didn't think it was fair to lose everything again.  Meaning I would have started over..

I think for quite a year (few years) that a community could have been reformed over time.  I'm not really so sure about that anymore.  Even tho there still really isn't anything like Pre-CU .. I'm a huge fan of skill sets, skill trees etc rather than levels and set classes.

I came to SWG mostly because Raph Koster (among others) had worked on Ultima Online.

I honestly just don't even care about classic servers anymore.  I finally stopped playing EQ2.. deleted most all the MMOs off my hard drive.

I still don't understand how I could walk around on servers... where every NPC city was packed with 5 (or more) lines of people waiting for buffs... where every cantina was packed...  people spamming to form grind gruops (just to push up their mission payouts) ... selling tons of resources etc etc etc

Yet it was "bleeding subs"

And with the basicly dead servers of the NGE they decided to stick with that.

I'll never understand it... but as much as I've been vocal here I think the idea of classic servers is pretty much past any chance it had to succeed.  Altho honestly that's about when SOE would decide to do it... thus when it epic failed due to lack of interest.. they could claim the NGE was the right thing to do.. in typical soe logic.

• phlayphlay Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by tillamook

I pretty much moved on and can't see pre-cu being anything more than a novelty for me. I did my grinds in that game, played the content I wanted to play, unlocked Jedi, I don't think I would want to do it again, but that's just me.

I have to agree with Tillamook, I unlocked jedi pre-patch 9 and played before holos were available, ran a guild, built a city, did 31 profs and moved on.

Tillamook is this the same that was in the Dark Paladins?

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631
    Originally posted by Suvroc

Honestly Badger your attempt is commendable but I'd say the time has long past for SoE to repair the rift between them and their ex-customers. For this to appease me they'd have to prove that they're worthy of my trust, and I'm not going to be blindsided with any trading card games/MRT's, or unwanted "refinements" - and I cannot see this happening any time soon. Also a change in leadership at SoE would be the first requirment for my satisfaction, and I do feel this will be the case soon enough.
    But if SoE could be trusted again I would choose pre-publish 9, however as you say this is only a dream.

^^ This (well said)

The rollback SOE needed to make needed to happen within 2 weeks of the NGE going live, the damage is long done by now and SWG is but a distant, unhappy memory to the huge majority of pre-nge players (be they CU or Pre-CU vets)

That said, I'd go back if they could toss together the CU combat with all the content that's been added later in the NGE. The CU combat system before the squad leader update was the second best combat I've seen in an mmo, that combined with the legacy quest and other quests added since and the instances would have given SWG a very healthy playerbase even now I think. It is just a shame that they've had to spend almost 4 years rebuilding it, and even now the NGE combat is the worst of any mmo I've ever played.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

Even though im a Pre-cu vet, i see the CU doing a better if you were to recreate anything. Pre-cu has been so gloryfied over the years. Well, im sure Pre-cu would be cool as hell if it were to come back as well, but im not really sure. I did most of the stuff and so on. Thing is, they had to make some choice with the gameplay back then, i think people were getting bored. CU might not have been the smartest move, but before the NGE it really took shape and i had a blast tbh. If you pass it out, CU had some improvements over Pre-cu, and the other way around. I think most people flipped beacsue it was a level icon in left corner.

Either way, if they turned it back to either CU or Pre-cu, obviousley i would give it a shot. But im not really sure if i would enjoy it or not.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

It's fun to talk about dreams though, so what would you like to see in the way of Origin/Classic SWG Servers?  They would likely be brought up as part of the Test Center servers and receive only maintenance updates, no additional content.
    Which patch level would you want to play, if at all?
    Patch Level
    Pre-CU: Pre-publish 9
    Pre-CU: (Literally just before the Combat Upgrade)
    CU: Just before the NGE.

None of the above.  If I had to pick from this list, it would be the one right before the CU.  Going with pre-pub-9 would lose too much of the late-game content, like JTL.

Ideally (the really far-out unlikely option), I would like to see a fusion of Pre-CU and some CU mechanics (NO LEVELS!!) with conversions of as much CU and NGE content as can be made to fit.  This would never happen, of course.

My second fallback position would be late-pre-CU content, 5-minute shuttles, Apprenticeship XP, JTL trainer ships that lacked hyperdrives, plus the CURB.

Adding levels in the CU was a disaster, because it affected most of the game's systems, not just combat.  People with full combat templates may not have noticed the effects so much, but they were truly dire to a jack-of-all-trades in the shallow end of combat pool.

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625

None of the above.  pre-CU had the most promise and the player community I enjoyed, but it was an ineptly managed and supported product even WITH developers that understood it and believed in it.  What would it be today?

That potential was thrown away years ago and the things that made it enjoyable DESPITE the technical incompetence are long, long gone.

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

I doesn't reall matter but i think that JTL took the game to another dimension. Everything was there. From ship flight to inviting your friends and join your ship as its crew.

SOE may provide the server source code to other developers that are interested to revive SWG. Some devs have done a really good work by reverse engineering part of the server logic and the results thus far are just enough to guarantee the longevity of our "small" community since these volunteer devs have the skills to evolve the game.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Originally posted by phlay

Originally posted by tillamook

I have to agree with Tillamook, I unlocked jedi pre-patch 9 and played before holos were available, ran a guild, built a city, did 31 profs and moved on. 

Tillamook is this the same that was in the Dark Paladins?

Not that I know of, is that a guild?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Interesting post...and even more shocking were some of the replies. CU just pre-NGE was, IMO, one of the best times - but as others have pointed out, parts of pre-CU would have to be worked back in to make it a GREAT game. SoE had no idea how close they were with a mix of the 2 (pre-CU/CU)...they had a dedicated playerbase, loyal & lifelong customers that no MMO (ToR, EVE, STO, AoC or whatever)  would have been a threat to.

Sadly, I think they missed their opportunity. Had this been done years ago, who knows...but to do it today would be silly. SWG lacks the basics of a modern MMO (3 axis & collision) that I don't think it would be even slightly worth their time.

However...release ANY version as a F2P MMO + TCG (or microtransaction) mix and maybe they could capture a share back. Whatever they do, they need to realize SWG is a 6+yr old game...no version is worth $15/mo any longer. $5 maybe...but not $15 and not with the pathetic (not a flame, just my opinion) staff they have.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

I would play anything prior to the Cu.

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

None. I have finally gotten over this game and quit permanently. It is too little, too late for them to bring in Pre-NGE servers. That ship should have been sailing years ago.

• I think it could be done, with absolutely the right marketing and as broad a reach as possible. 

Things they should look at doing:

+ Mass email every subscriber to any / all SOE games that an Origin/Classic Galaxies server ruleset was coming online.

+ Offer more than one character slot (2-3)

+ Double xp reward per kill for requisite level (which helps encourage alts)

+ Holocron system + Village as an option

+ If possible, incorporate existing content

+ Make damn sure that it's understood that the game is as is in its original form (with updated content) and to expect minimal support from CMs and devs. 

+ Lower the price point to 9.99 per month per account

I'd play again.  With the short leveling curves you reduce the barrier of entry to new players or old players that no longer have their old log in information or whatever.  Something like this would absolutely require a very low barrier of entry.

Just let the game run with as needed server restarts.  With minimal dev and CM support and what should be very low overhead and their original investment has already been (or should be) recouped.

• All that said, however, I think you'd get more support from existing subscribers (and recently cancelled within the last year) that are still hanging on than you would from subscribers that gave up on the game several years ago.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

That's like saying "Let's raise the Titanic and offer cruises on it".

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• Funny thing is, given SOE's history, the more people that say 'no, not interested or don't do this' the more likely they're going to say to themselves 'YES THEY WANT IT AWESOME PUSH IT LIVE YESTERDAY!'.

SOE truly lives in a bizarro world of opposites.  No! means yes.  Nerf! means buff the shit out of it.  Fix it means break it some more.

They still need image repair more than anything.  Maybe this could be part of it.  Who knows.  With a couple new MMOs on the horizon (The Agency, the superhero one), they need to do something to kick start some really positive brand recognition.

Edit:  Whoa.  Couple posts disappeared.

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631
    Originally posted by TUX426

Interesting post...and even more shocking were some of the replies. CU just pre-NGE was, IMO, one of the best times -

As others have said, was really the community that made the game great, you probably remember MeS vs ISF, -X- vs Bleed etc in that timescale, was great fun that's for sure, the old school base wars were fun as hell as well though, MeS, SL, DC, STORM et al. The underlying theme though of all the good times was that the server was at it's best when the community was at it's best (and sometimes worst)

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Suvroc

This sums up my thoughts rather well.  Without significant changes in the way the folks at SOE treat their customers, I have no intention of ever being a customer of SOE again.