Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't Diablo 3 included in the game list?

mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

I see many lobby type games in the game list, such as; Rakion, Gunbound International, Exteel.

I could probably also find more in that list if I took a closer look.

I'm not sure as to why there is an exclusion of Diablo 3 from these list, it isn't really an MMO, but going with those rules, neither is Rakion, Exteel or any of those game. They all have you login to a "lobby" where you are able to see game people have created, that may include up to 8, 12 or 16 players. However, many of these games do not even have mobs, and most of the time no item drops off players, it is all lobby based, where you accumulate game cash through counterstrike style PvP and purchase items in the game shop.

I fail to understand how in any way based on allowing these games that Diablo 3 should not also be included.

Please, discuss, prove me wrong.

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

the number one reason:

its not a mmorpg (the world is not persistant)

#2 - we dont know anything about gameplay yet.

c) those others should not be on the list

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by miagisan

the number one reason:

Neither are any of the games I have listed.

EDIT: All of these games, you join a channel (server) where the game host picks a map, a gametype and a limit for how long the game will last.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

sorry browser decided to submit before i was done

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Those other games shouldn't be on the list either then...and neither the jackass Playboy game.

Not MMOs (although technically...the site is called MMORPG.com. And a lot on the list aren't RPGs either...go figure)

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Well, it is fair to assume that Blizzard will use a lobby type system where players create games. I believe the basis of Battle.net 2 will be battle.net and the systems will be basically similar.

So why is it that these games have found their way on to MMORPG.com's list? Perhaps an influence from the game companies in one way or another?

Lobbies have nothing to do with an MMO. It's only massive is they are all playing. Which is why I don't understand why GW is an MMO. Comes close enough I suppose though.

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Lobbies have nothing to do with an MMO. It's only massive is they are all playing. Which is why I don't understand why GW is an MMO. Comes close enough I suppose though.

These games are only 1 step in terms of design above Counterstrike.

The only difference is you get to keep your guns and armor in a game like Exteel, so how does that qualify it to be called an MMO?

Originally posted by mrroboto40
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust Lobbies have nothing to do with an MMO. It's only massive is they are all playing. Which is why I don't understand why GW is an MMO. Comes close enough I suppose though.

The only difference is you get to keep your guns and armor in a game like Exteel, so how does that qualify it to be called an MMO?

It doesn't....like I said earlier.

It doesn't....like I said earlier.

Didnt mean to quote you :P, just asking a general question.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Guild Wars is not a mmo, the guys Arenanet said so themselves.

Anyway this has been asked many times before and the response is usually that due to the ever expanding online multiplayer genre mmorpg.com has become more lenient on what goes on the site....

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Originally posted by SgtFrog

Anyway this has been asked many times before and the response is usually that due to the ever expanding online multiplayer genre mmorpg.com has become more lenient on what goes on the site....

And back to my main point, there should then be no reason not to add Diablo 3 to the game list, and then I guess GunZ: The Duel, and Infinity Online (the RPG) and every single lobby game around.

The genre is so stretched out now, any game can be called an MMO now. Heck...I was playing online poker with around 300k people earlier. Now that's a wild MMO

:P

• CzargioCzargio Member Posts: 183

The question is: where is the persistent world? Guild Wars has a persistent world, which is one reason why it is considered an MMO. Lobby type games have no persistent world, they just keep starting over every time someone creates a server. If you're using games like Exteel and Rakion to justify lobby games as MMOs, then the game list should at least double in size, if not more. For example: TF2 and L4D are now MMOs. Does that sound remotely correct?

Most people agree those games shouldn't be on the list, so stop trying to justify putting more wrong games on the list because of the flukes.

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710
    Originally posted by miagisan

the number one reason:
    #2 - we dont know anything about gameplay yet.
    c) those others should not be on the list

you stole my signature!

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by SgtFrog

And back to my main point, there should then be no reason not to add Diablo 3 to the game list, and then I guess GunZ: The Duel, and Infinity Online (the RPG) and every single lobby game around.

Yeah, The Gaming policy on this site is a little weird, I found it best not to ask : p

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Originally posted by Czargio
    The question is: where is the persistent world? Guild Wars has a persistent world, which is one reason why it is considered an MMO. Lobby type games have no persistent world, they just keep starting over every time someone creates a server. If you're using games like Exteel and Rakion to justify lobby games as MMOs, then the game list should at least double in size, if not more. For example: TF2 and L4D are now MMOs. Does that sound remotely correct?
    Most people agree those games shouldn't be on the list, so stop trying to justify putting more wrong games on the list because of the flukes.

How is GW persistent?

It's linear and after you complete an area....it's done. Sounds single player to me. Unless they changed something where it's not all instanced for up to a few players at a time.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Yes there is a reason. It's not an MMORPG.

They should not add Diablo3 and delete those other non-MMORPGS that you found. Your main point is stupid, sorry.

Well, it is fair to assume that Blizzard will use a lobby type system where players create games. I believe the basis of Battle.net 2 will be battle.net and the systems will be basically similar.

So even if you were right and lobby games count as MMOs (they don't), then you can't even prove D3 is a lobby game. Show me the facts. You can't because Blizz is being tight lipped on the new Battlenet, and for all we know it could be completely different than anything anyone is expecting.

Didn't I read somewhere that D3 was only gonna have LAN support for now? (where did I read that?)

Originally posted by altairzq

Yes there is a reason. It's not an MMORPG.

They should not add Diablo3 and delete those other non-MMORPGS that you found. Your main point is stupid, sorry.

How is my main point stupid?

I am pointing out that some of these games are not even MMOs (I never said they were, infact I implied negatively that I disagree with it), however with the inclusion of these games it leaves the door wide open for Diablo 3.

So even if you were right and lobby games count as MMOs (they don't), then you can't even prove D3 is a lobby game. Show me the facts. You can't because Blizz is being tight lipped on the new Battlenet, and for all we know it could be completely different than anything anyone is expecting.

"Experience the intensity of multiplayer Diablo III over an all-new, wickedly enhanced Battle.net platform with numerous enhancements to make connecting with your friends easier, and cooperative gameplay more fun."

The battle.net that Starcraft 2 will be using is the exact same as Diablo 3, is it fair to assume Starcraft 2 is lobby based? Yes.

How is GW persistent?

It's linear and after you complete an area....it's done. Sounds single player to me. Unless they changed something where it's not all instanced for up to a few players at a time.

Persistent != Not Instanced. When you log off, you know that the world is still there going on without you. People are still playing. Using your logic, Wow is only half MMO. the battlegrounds, the arenas, the instances, the raids, none of them are part of the massive world of WoW.

How is GW persistent?

Persistent != Not Instanced. When you log off, you know that the world is still there going on without you. People are still playing. Using your logic, Wow is only half MMO. the battlegrounds, the arenas, the instances, the raids, none of them are part of the massive world of WoW.

GW is ALL instanced...WoW is only partially instanced. And the instances are just that....an instance. Not persistent.

So where's that logic you were speaking of?

"Experience the intensity of multiplayer Diablo III over an all-new, wickedly enhanced Battle.net platform with numerous enhancements to make connecting with your friends easier, and cooperative gameplay more fun."

The battle.net that Starcraft 2 will be using is the exact same as Diablo 3, is it fair to assume Starcraft 2 is lobby based? Yes.

You're going to use a PR soundbite for conclusive proof? If you take all PR and hype as proof, you must have a ton of disappointments when it comes to MMOs.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

How is GW persistent?

Actually not. The game world will still be there but only in name, because when you log off the instance resets itself.

WoW is still an mmorpg because it still offers a persistent world and allows for a huge number of players to play in the same world, but you're right in saying that not all of it is persistent.

About the OP:

The OP is correct but don't bother trying to get an answer for it.. this website is breaking it's own requirements for adding games to list all the time. I might have missed it but I have never seen this website actually respond to this issue. I suppose more games means more visitors.