Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:TOR vs. STO

Comments

• ZharreZharre Member UncommonPosts: 80

I can only speak as to my own, personal opinion, but as much as I love Star Trek as an IP, I won't be playing STO. I'm not interested in 'being a spaceship' / being captain of a ship full of NPCs. Not interested in that if I want to group with other players, it will be as captains grouping with captains (oh weren't away teams of 5 captains so very common, y'know). Not interested in all I interact with is NPCs and captains, captains, captains. No thank you, it's just not my thing.

Pardon, I know I'm venting my ire, but I'm just disappointed that STO is absolutely nothing I'd want. I'm NOT hoping for the game's failure, though! I truly hope the game's a success- we need more, varied, popular MMOs on the market... it's too stagnant.

I'll just be finding my place in TOR, which I'm fairly confident I'll enjoy as I usually do enjoy Bioware games. I'll just always be regretful that I couldn't find promise in STO.

• stevekr21stevekr21 Member Posts: 50

This is like asking "Cake or Pie?". Any human being worth there while will choose pie over cake anyday. Secondly The deathstar would PWNT!!!11!!1 any startrek ship, (even the borg)!

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Originally posted by kha1ess

for me there is no "vs" between those names.. i will play both games. Its only question which of the developing teems will do better job(if any) from my point of view to stick with it.

Cant help but agree here. I tend toward SW a little more than ST, but will be playing both.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• wolfsaberwolfsaber Member Posts: 29

lol

well ST won't be out till 2010 so you got a yr or so to play swtor till then ...hehehe

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by wolfsaber

lol
    well ST won't be out till 2010 so you got a yr or so to play swtor till then ...hehehe

Actually STO will most likely release before SW:TOR will. The STO pre-orders are setting a release date no later than March, 2010. SW:TOR will probably release later in the year (I'm guessing somewhere around the Summer months).

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Originally posted by wolfsaber

lol

Actually STO will most likely release before SW:TOR will. The STO pre-orders are setting a release date no later than March, 2010. SW:TOR will probably release later in the year (I'm guessing somewhere around the Summer months).

Bren

Yeah, you are most likely correct on that, STO will beat SWTOR, which will released this next summer. Yet I have this nagging feeling that this game is "done" and just in bug hunting mode. But that's just a feeling, most likely it means little.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Put me down in the camp that says SWTOR will beat STO to market.

I could go on and explain my reasoning...but why?

• RonixEnclaveRonixEnclave Member Posts: 15

Sale Wise, Star Wars would win I assume.  Star Wars would be considered the more popular I'd think.  Gameplay wise, Who knows.  This will be Bioware for MMORPG and they could falter.  Just hope they don't focus on making this feel to much like a single player game.

Star Trek seems interesting, but I don't know or haven't ever been a fan of it.  Hopefully it's good so that it'll make me actually like Star Trek.

I never was a fan of the TV Shows, Seemed like Soap Opera in space, I dunno.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Sorry, just found some proof the Star Wars > Star Trek.

www.youtube.com/watch

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786
    Originally posted by RonixEnclave

This will be Bioware for MMORPG and they could falter.  Just hope they don't focus on making this feel to much like a single player game.

If I hear this kind of bullshit one more time, I'm going to start killing kittens.  They have addressed this single player garbage over and over.  Read up a little bit before you decide to just pop your top and begin spewing forth your vinegar 'n water.

Originally posted by madeux

This will be Bioware for MMORPG and they could falter.  Just hope they don't focus on making this feel to much like a single player game.

If I hear this kind of bullshit one more time, I'm going to start killing kittens.  They have addressed this single player garbage over and over.  Read up a little bit before you decide to just pop your top and begin spewing forth your vinegar 'n water.

Let the hate flow through you >:)

(Sorry couldn't resist)

They just stated in a new interview that this game will be open-world and also, it has been mentioned in MANY older interviews as well, your thoughts betray you.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

What they keep saying, and what they keep showing seem to contradict each other.  It looks like a dog, and it barks like a dog... so their assurances that it isn't a dog are a little hard to believe.  I have seen and read all the same interviews as you have, but it still just looks like co-op version of knights of the old republic to me.  I'll play it even if that's what it is, I just doubt I will play it very long. 

Games seem to bear very little comparison the their own hype lately.  You can't really blame people for being skeptical.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Cryptic is in trouble with CO so I'm expecting that STO will ship to early, with bugs and lack of content.  Also while space combat looks good the ground combat and player animations don't look very good.  I really want STO to be great as I love ST but I'm not confident in Cryptic at all..

SW:TOR on the other hand is from Bioware which is a company that i personally put in the same catagory as Blizzard.  They do quality games with great content and story.  It's hard to really know how the game will be but I'm far more confident of Biowares ability to deliver a great game then I am Cryptic.

That said I think that STO world and lore and general balance is a lot better then SW.  I always felt that SW wasn't really a good platform for an MMO as it is kinda unbalanced in that the story revolves around Jedi who are like superheros in the story.  So you can make a game where everyone is a jedi or you gotta nerf jedi to make other character types playable.  It just seems that it would become contrived.   Where STO has a great balanced system with different types of officers and the game is based around both space exploration and world exploration.  Every star trek episode is fun unique and interesting and you could easily make the game based on exploration and have new worlds be missions with a series of interesting quests etc.

So from the perspective of a game platform based on balance and lore STO seems like it is far superior to SW as a vehicle for an MMO.

So there you have it. 

STO - great game platform, weak developer, potential funding problems

SW:TOR - weaker game platform, great developer, good funding.

---
    Ethion

Originally posted by Salvatoris

What they keep saying, and what they keep showing seem to contradict each other.  It looks like a dog, and it barks like a dog... so their assurances that it isn't a dog are a little hard to believe.  I have seen and read all the same interviews as you have, but it still just looks like co-op version of knights of the old republic to me.  I'll play it even if that's what it is, I just doubt I will play it very long. 

Games seem to bear very little comparison the their own hype lately.  You can't really blame people for being skeptical.

Have you read that part about them only showing the new and innovative parts of their game before all the usual stuff that MMOs have?

Originally posted by mrroboto40
    Originally posted by RonixEnclave   This will be Bioware for MMORPG and they could falter.  Just hope they don't focus on making this feel to much like a single player game.

Have you read that part about them only showing the new and innovative parts of their game before all the usual stuff that MMOs have?

You lost him at the reading part.

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Lol probably.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Lol probably.

I browse forums with my screen off, so I have this problem too.

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

Unlike most people here, I fucking hate star trek. star wars is great, the epic fight of good vs evil, with mystical powers and the rise and fall of heroes and villains. you cant beat that with pansy navy guys running around with clothes that are way tighter then they should be. and to someone who said sto would be more complex then tor, really? star wars deals with characters, with emotions and story, star trek deals with crash landing on a strange planet, fighting alien plants and ends with kirk making out with a alien babe. awesome. but of course, im bashing the IP, which i hate, not the game, which i hope it will be good. theres too much fail in this genre already.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

Originally posted by Toquio3
    Unlike most people here, I fucking hate star trek. star wars is great, the epic fight of good vs evil, with mystical powers and the rise and fall of heroes and villains. you cant beat that with pansy navy guys running around with clothes that are way tighter then they should be. and to someone who said sto would be more complex then tor, really? star wars deals with characters, with emotions and story, star trek deals with crash landing on a strange planet, fighting alien plants and ends with kirk making out with a alien babe. awesome. but of course, im bashing the IP, which i hate, not the game, which i hope it will be good. theres too much fail in this genre already.

As much as I love Star Wars I gotta say James T Kirk (the REAL one) > Everything (except Batman).

Anyways I have a theory that James T IS the Batman...

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by ethion

Cryptic is in trouble with CO so I'm expecting that STO will ship to early, with bugs and lack of content.  Also while space combat looks good the ground combat and player animations don't look very good.  I really want STO to be great as I love ST but I'm not confident in Cryptic at all..
    SW:TOR on the other hand is from Bioware which is a company that i personally put in the same catagory as Blizzard.  They do quality games with great content and story.  It's hard to really know how the game will be but I'm far more confident of Biowares ability to deliver a great game then I am Cryptic.
    That said I think that STO world and lore and general balance is a lot better then SW.  I always felt that SW wasn't really a good platform for an MMO as it is kinda unbalanced in that the story revolves around Jedi who are like superheros in the story.  So you can make a game where everyone is a jedi or you gotta nerf jedi to make other character types playable.  It just seems that it would become contrived.   Where STO has a great balanced system with different types of officers and the game is based around both space exploration and world exploration.  Every star trek episode is fun unique and interesting and you could easily make the game based on exploration and have new worlds be missions with a series of interesting quests etc.
    So from the perspective of a game platform based on balance and lore STO seems like it is far superior to SW as a vehicle for an MMO.
    So there you have it. 
    STO - great game platform, weak developer, potential funding problems
    SW:TOR - weaker game platform, great developer, good funding.

I think both games could be a treat, but I think my money is on SWTOR. I just think that Cryptic have spread themselves a bit to thin recently developing CO, and to be honest I think it will be really hard for them to balance both space and away mission gameplay for STO, I think one aspect will end up lesser/flawed at release weighing the entire game experience down, by contrast SWTOR is character and story-driven, so a lot more to carry players along and keep them playing, and probably a lot less to go wrong in terms of gameplay design. A lot of players seem to be writing co-op type play for SWTOR, but I think it is clearly mmo.

• jadoncjadonc Member Posts: 136

From viewing video from both games, Star Trek wins by far, Star Trek looks like SWG Pre-CU for character customization and there is more freedom in the canon when it comes to Star Trek. Star Trek is more unlimited than Lucas owned Star Wars.

Please prove me wrong as I love Star Wars :(

Originally posted by jadonc

Please prove me wrong as I love Star Wars :(

I'll get right on that. Right after I get through the 3.3 billion other more important things on my list of stuff to do before I die.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Its very simple, in the end the game that offers more teamplay content will be more sucessfull.

Both look to me like games that can be played solo till the Endgame without any problem, maybe they will realise that "community" is  the keyword to success. 

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by woghd

Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by woghd

{mod edit}
    STO will come out on top in this not because it has two kinds of combat, but because it has SERIOUS story depth. The game will have a "genesis" system which can create planets on the fly. We are not talking about boring cookie-cutter planets that all look similar, the kind that get boring after a while. They have added so many paramiters into their system that game content will NEVER become repetitous. This isn't going to be just another MMORPG, like the coming shooter with the Starwars label. With two solid combat systems and a nearly infinite buffet of unique content, I think we are looking at the future of gaming here. WoW has had it's day. Just my opinion.

SWTOR will have more immersion in ground combat, while STO will be all about ships ala EVE, where all you do as play as a ship. I expect the planets you speak of in STO to be dry and boring, repetitive ect, which will cripple this game at the start.

You completely ignored what I said. With the genesis system, there will be nothing repetitive about the planets, no dry, no boring. Your "Crippling" won't happen. Quite the opposite. STO will be the new number 1 game. WoW has seen it's best days. SWTOR will be a reasonable game with solid development, but it simply isn't going to be in the same category as STO or WoW. And like I said, I think WoW will eventually get bumped by STO.

And how do you KNOW this? Can you show us a shred of evidence that these planets are going to be as wonderful, cool, and varied as you say? 

You're talking about something you don't actually know about and making grandiose claims you can't back up. We know absolutely nothing about the Genesis system or what kind of planets we will see in the game. They could be as amazing as you claim or they could be barren boring cookie cutter pieces of crap. You, nor I, know otherwise.

• weezelweezel Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by greed0104 For me it's the IP that's the attraction when these two are compared. Never was a Star Trek fan.

personally thats where i'm at.. i watched star trek occasionally though and watched all the movies.. just never got into the series (any of them really).. and while im sure star trek fans can find problems with star wars and vice versa, i'm just going to say in my personal opinion, star wars will own.. i think theres more people that could get into a star wars game as well (again, my personal opinion).. that and i personally don't have much hope for cryptic..