Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:TOR vs. STO

mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

{mod edit}

Both are sci-fi MMOs being developed with a POSSIBLE release date time frame of 2010-11.

Both also share a ground combat system, while SW:TOR may or may not include space combat at release.

Comments

• kha1esskha1ess Member Posts: 5

for me there is no "vs" between those names.. i will play both games. Its only question which of the developing teems will do better job(if any) from my point of view to stick with it.

• tamgrostamgros Member Posts: 88

{mod edit}

As for STO vs SWTOR.  To me it looks like it's coming down to Gameplay vs Story:

STO is offering space and ground, both are very different.  Space is amazing, it could be a stand alone game on its own. Here's a little gameplay vid from PAX:

www.youtube.com/watch  (note, work in progress)

Ground combat is a little more toward a standard MMO, but you always have BOs or other people with you (always groups of 5) so it is very active.  You also have combat and ground almost 50/50 in multiple formats: battlegrounds (both PvP and PvE), episodic missions, and randomly 'procedurally' generated exploration content. 

I don't need to go into detail about SWTOR, if you're here, you should already know the amazing scale to which SWTOR is doing the cinematics, VOs etc.

So yeah, it seems to me that while they are both Sci-fi-ish MMOs with 'Star' in the title, they will play much differently.

EDIT: I also like what the guy above me said.  I like to think of it as SWTOR and STO as well.  I'm glad they are making two very different games, hopefully they both turn out well :)

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

OMG the space thing in that video looks sooooo boring, 20 minutes or so to kill something??

• IsengardtomIsengardtom Member Posts: 7

At the moment STO seems to be a little bit further in the development cycle, so there's  more info on it.

It definitely has it's space combat going for it. To my knowledge, SWTOR doesn't have any info on this aspect yet. SWTOR will undoubtable have a huge following, given the popularity of the SW movies and games in the past. I'm sure they will make it into an amazing game.

But I think Cryptic is doing an amazing job on STO. The graphics look stunning (as do TOR's) and the action-ground + tactical-space aspect of the game appeals to me greatly. Not to mention the vast selection of ships from the series along with new designs and the customization options will boost this games appeal greatly

• BlueJesterBlueJester Member Posts: 10

How long do you supose a slugfest between 2 star destroyers would last? These are not fighters..they are large ships with 100+man crews. And Tam can tell you, it's not boring, you have to work the whole time to stay alive.

Bj

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    {mod edit}

As for the ToR vs. STO debate I'm with the others above. There is no vs. at all. I will play both games and hopefully neither will disappoint. They are such radically different games that I really can't see making a direct comparison between the two. I truly hope that both will be great and I hyped both games accordingly.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• tamgrostamgros Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by sookster54

OMG the space thing in that video looks sooooo boring, 20 minutes or so to kill something??

First, this is the basic starter ship so there isn't as many combat options as you will end up having. But! you still have power distribution, shield strengths/facings, and abilities.  Most MMOs just have abilities (SWTOR will have abilities, and then maybe one wrinkle per class like cover).   Just like any MMO, they throw more wrinkles in later. Second, this was a demo, much of the combat sequence they were just playing around with different settings, not even firing.

And no, not 20 mins. Lol, the combat doesn't start until 3:15, it's only a 8:40 video, and 3 'somethings' were killed. Ground plays much differently, you and your 4 team mates mow through groups/hordes of various enemies. They are going for diversity of game play.

But anyway, if you don't like it, fine, but at least be somewhat accurate in your criticism if you're going to say something...

• NongeNonge Member Posts: 28

STO ftw!

• woghdwoghd Member Posts: 13

{mod edit}

STO will come out on top in this not because it has two kinds of combat, but because it has SERIOUS story depth. The game will have a "genesis" system which can create planets on the fly. We are not talking about boring cookie-cutter planets that all look similar, the kind that get boring after a while. They have added so many paramiters into their system that game content will NEVER become repetitous. This isn't going to be just another MMORPG, like the coming shooter with the Starwars label. With two solid combat systems and a nearly infinite buffet of unique content, I think we are looking at the future of gaming here. WoW has had it's day. Just my opinion.

• HalpotHalpot Member CommonPosts: 204

As a reminder, from the RoC:

Topic Hijacking

Posting comments within a thread which severely disrupts the original conversation is prohibited at MMORPG.com.

Example: Asking whether a game has PvP in a thread about crafting materials found in a new expansion is Topic Hijacking. 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by woghd

{mod edit}
    STO will come out on top in this not because it has two kinds of combat, but because it has SERIOUS story depth. The game will have a "genesis" system which can create planets on the fly. We are not talking about boring cookie-cutter planets that all look similar, the kind that get boring after a while. They have added so many paramiters into their system that game content will NEVER become repetitous. This isn't going to be just another MMORPG, like the coming shooter with the Starwars label. With two solid combat systems and a nearly infinite buffet of unique content, I think we are looking at the future of gaming here. WoW has had it's day. Just my opinion.

SWTOR will have more immersion in ground combat, while STO will be all about ships ala EVE, where all you do as play as a ship. I expect the planets you speak of in STO to be dry and boring, repetitive ect, which will cripple this game at the start.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MrVoltMrVolt Member Posts: 11

Can we please keep it to fact that have been confirmed so no opinions or expectancies.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by mrroboto40

{mod edit}
    Both are sci-fi MMOs being developed with a POSSIBLE release date time frame of 2010-11.
    Both also share a ground combat system, while SW:TOR may or may not include space combat at release.

For me it's the IP that's the attraction when these two are compared. Never was a Star Trek fan.

• woghdwoghd Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by tillamook

{mod edit}

SWTOR will have more immersion in ground combat, while STO will be all about ships ala EVE, where all you do as play as a ship. I expect the planets you speak of in STO to be dry and boring, repetitive ect, which will cripple this game at the start.

You completely ignored what I said. With the genesis system, there will be nothing repetitive about the planets, no dry, no boring. Your "Crippling" won't happen. Quite the opposite. STO will be the new number 1 game. WoW has seen it's best days. SWTOR will be a reasonable game with solid development, but it simply isn't going to be in the same category as STO or WoW. And like I said, I think WoW will eventually get bumped by STO.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Well my choice is obvious...

DS9 > Death Star

Enterprise > Star Destroyer

Q > Jedi

Worf > Chewbacca

Make it so...

{mod edit}

You completely ignored what I said. With the genesis system, there will be nothing repetitive about the planets, no dry, no boring. Your "Crippling" won't happen. Quite the opposite. STO will be the new number 1 game. WoW has seen it's best days. SWTOR will be a reasonable game with solid development, but it simply isn't going to be in the same category as STO or WoW. And like I said, I think WoW will eventually get bumped by STO.

STO is 3 years to late, should have been finished a long time ago. Most of the sci-fi MMO vets stopped caring when the game went into limbo the first time. Think what you want, but truth is TOR has the bigger budget.

SWG Bloodfin vet

{mod edit}

Now, don't get me wrong... I'm a huge Star Trek fan( and Star Wars fan for that matter) but saying either of these games will top WoW is a little absurd. Both STO and ToR will be niche games... granted hugely popular niche games but niche none the less. I think if both deliver they will be highly successful but WoW is a fluke of the MMO world. It had all the right things at just the right time and sky-rocketed. Also although I too am very excited about the Genesis system we know little detail about it. It's far to early to be making the claims you are. This is something that only time will tell us for sure. I can understand your excitement for STO as I feel it too but these claims your making are a little on the extreme side.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

TOR could but it's unlikely... well maybe here in the US but not worldwide...

BUT anyway I would pick TOR over STO anyday.. and I'm not a huge fan of either

{mod edit}

STO is 3 years to late, should have been finished a long time ago. Most of the sci-fi MMO vets stopped caring when the game went into limbo the first time. Think what you want, but truth is TOR has the bigger budget.

You personally speak for 'most of the sci-fi MMO vets'? I only speak for myself, maybe you should try it also.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by Brenelael

{mod edit}

You personally speak for 'most of the sci-fi MMO vets'? I only speak for myself, maybe you should try it also.

Bren

I was only using absurdity to match his. Thing is SWTOR has been the most anticipated game since, well a very long time. Actually few games have come close to the level of  excitement and speculation. Actually people used to talk about how cool it would be to play a MMO Based on KOTOR on the SWG forums as far back as I can remember. STO has just kinda been on the sidelines since people caught a hint of it being just more vaporware years ago, I'm not sure it will every fully recover from that..

SWG Bloodfin vet

• beladanbeladan Member Posts: 15

I'm grateful for, and will be playing, both. As far as I am concerned, epeen contests over whose game is more uber are a waste, really. Pay and play where you have fun. There's no point trying to 'win' some zomg my game beetz urs nonsense.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

How can you say STO will have more "serious" story depth when your comparing it to a game where every single bit of the story matters. Do you really see yourself reading why your collecting 10 pieces of borg ship? Obvious answer is no, however, in a game where everything you choose to say or do has an affect on your characters progression, every little bit of information provided to you would be meticulously considered to make sure your making the right choice for your character, therefore immersing and creating very deep story depth. Sure, it has a genesis system, what does that mean? Does it choose a planet shape at random, and then terrain type at random, and then climate type at random? You call that depth? Go look at every single planet released thus far in SWTOR and tell me those are "cookie-cutter" or that they look even REMOTELY the same. Also, who's to say that SWTOR will not have space combat, after all a staple of the Star Wars IP is space, and combat in space, if it isn't in at launch, it will most likely be one of the first things added in an expansion or content patch.

Look at the company your dealing with, it's Cryptic ffs. What have they done that is innovative apart from dress up a Comic MMO with WoW features? Just looking at screenshots alone, I know I wont ever play STO, it's such a vast and important IP, and you hand it to guys who add to much purple to everything!

What this really boils down to is the development style and polish both companies will put in to their game, and right now, I have my bet on BioWare, because they know Star Wars first of all, and they have released some kick-ass games in the past.

Where you look at Cryptic, and all the experience they have is in Superhero MMO's.

• DuvarisDuvaris Member UncommonPosts: 127

Im looking forward to both games, but I would have to go with SW:TOR as being the better game. Just because of Biowares track record. They always make a great games. plus they have experience in star wars games aleady. they know their IP. =)

• AlwaysRemAlwaysRem Member Posts: 7

Both are shaping up to be quality games and i'm interested in both of them. They have drastically different gameplay so they aren't exactly direct competition with one another unless you happen to be a fan of both and can only afford one.

Gameplay-wise, the new Star Wars is more akin to a classic MMORPG where you have your character, level it up, gain new skills, complete quests, etc. Star Trek is something more new and unique, where you basically "level up" an entire crew of characters instead of just one and spend as much time flying in your ship as you do on planet surfaces doing things. It's like a mix between  a classic MMO and Eve online almost, except wrapped in Star Trekkie goodness. I'm more interested in STO than SWTOR because of how unique and different it is compared to any other MMO on the market. I've been playing MMOs for about 11 or 12 years now, since the original Ultima Online game out, and while each game seems to innovate the genre in it's own way and is entertaining to play, they are at their base level basically the same thing. But STO seems to be a lot different from that design, it still has that aspect inside of it, but it also has this whole different, new side of the genre that has never been seen before.

I hope both games do well and become awesome to play in the near and distant future. :)

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention, while SWTOR seems very story-driven, it seems to play more like a single player game than a MMO. It gives the appearance of Knights of the Old Republic, except multiplayer. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVED that game, but your actions and choices didn't really matter or amount to anything. It may have changed who joined your party or which force powers you picked up, but ultimately, story-wise it didn't really change what worlds you went to, what your overall objectives were, or even whether the "Bad guy" at the end lived or died. I loved the games and i'm sure SWTOR will have a rich story as well, but I feel like you can only play through that same content so many times before you're tired of it. It also feels more like being lead around by a leash because you're "supposed" to go from here to here to here in that specific order and so on. That is the downside to having such a deep, heavy story integrated into the game, it basically tells you the story instead of letting you choose your own path and you are just role playing the cut scenes essentially, if you understand my metaphor there.

But like i said, I think both will be great in their own ways. But for the time being, i'm more inclined to go with STO.

Originally posted by mrroboto40

How can you say STO will have more "serious" story depth when your comparing it to a game where every single bit of the story matters. Do you really see yourself reading why your collecting 10 pieces of borg ship? Obvious answer is no, however, in a game where everything you choose to say or do has an affect on your characters progression, every little bit of information provided to you would be meticulously considered to make sure your making the right choice for your character, therefore immersing and creating very deep story depth. Sure, it has a genesis system, what does that mean? Does it choose a planet shape at random, and then terrain type at random, and then climate type at random? You call that depth? Go look at every single planet released thus far in SWTOR and tell me those are "cookie-cutter" or that they look even REMOTELY the same. Also, who's to say that SWTOR will not have space combat, after all a staple of the Star Wars IP is space, and combat in space, if it isn't in at launch, it will most likely be one of the first things added in an expansion or content patch.

Look at the company your dealing with, it's Cryptic ffs. What have they done that is innovative apart from dress up a Comic MMO with WoW features? Just looking at screenshots alone, I know I wont ever play STO, it's such a vast and important IP, and you hand it to guys who add to much purple to everything!

What this really boils down to is the development style and polish both companies will put in to their game, and right now, I have my bet on BioWare, because they know Star Wars first of all, and they have released some kick-ass games in the past.

Where you look at Cryptic, and all the experience they have is in Superhero MMO's.

No offense but your being just as ridiculous as the person you are quoting. There is no sense in overstating or understating the qualities of either game. The parts I highlighted above are just your opinion or totally fictional as we just don't know yet. Both games have an equal chance of being successful and can coexist as they are totally different experiences from the way they are being marketed. The only thing it comes down to really is personal choice. We'll either like ToR or we'll like STO and if we are very lucky we'll like both. I personally plan on trying both games but which game will be better is anybody's guess at this point. They are using such drastically differing design concepts that a direct comparison is very unfair to both games. If they stick to those design concepts both games will be something new, refreshing and neither will be anything like WoW. I see this as a good thing and you should too.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }