Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starburst's Review of Knights of Dream City

MMORPGs I’ve played include: LotRO, WoW, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, Guild Wars and War Hammer.

My experience with “Knights of Dream City” was overall a pretty good one. What captured my attention initially was the pictures that I saw for the game when it was still in production mainly because I didn’t see a lot of sci-fi based mmo’s that weren’t strategy based. I was looking for something outside the fantasy/ medieval or super hero genre and I found it.

When I started playing, grasping the operations for my character was easy. After roaming around the lobby to see where everything was, I went to the training area where I immediately started doing the missions and got the hang of things. There are instructions on the left side of the screen to tell you everything you need to know to maneuver around area and they stay there so you won’t forget. I thought that was cool. The missions were straight to the point and very rewarding so, I didn’t have to comb the entire universe while using enormous amounts of time looking for a quest item to complete it which was a good thing because I’ve had that problem in other games. Even just regular mob battles yield handsome profits. The drops are great especially when in a party. Once I finished the missions there, which were optional of course, I moved on to the main event.

The first area “Day Break” was a little grueling at first. Lucky for me they started me off with enough med packs (potions) for health and energy that I survived long enough to use my quest rewards to get armor. The drops from the quests were enough to get at least half of all the weapons and armor I needed. When I got back into battle, there was a definite difference and it took me less time to get my quests done. For this area there were three different level mobs so, I didn’t move on to the higher ones until I was strong enough. Then there is an area just for groups fighting bosses, that was one of the most fun aspects for me. The drops were the best in those areas. Now, outside of the quests that you do on the battle field, there are others you complete by just turning in special parts that the mobs drop to a guy in the lobby area. Just with all of the things I mentioned before, the game was quite addicting.

Now what’s a game without side activities? In other games I have played, I didn’t get involved too much because the reward system wasn’t very fruitful and in order to really gain from it, you had to spend a lot of time doing these activities, only to get minimal results. Not here! There is an intricate way of creating items your character needs in the game for personal use or for selling in the trade market. You build up your crafting skills in engineering in order to make parts for the items you will use, sell or for purchasing weapons and armor. You earn turns on the battle field to use for crafting (fusion). Now you also earn VIP tokens that you trade in for special items like companions. These activities combined with the quests have kept me busy and I would prefer that over a grinder any day. You can also build your colony but I’m still getting into the basics of the game play.

I found the story to the game interesting as well. The story could have easily gone to your typical sci- fi cliche but, the writing was quite creative and also aided in keeping my attention.

The only things that I would have liked to be better or improved in the game would be slowdown I experience while playing periodically. I would have also liked to see a global chat option in the game so I can talk to any new people coming on who aren’t in my area. The community so far is very small and this is a bummer as this is a really great game, in fact one of the best I’ve ever played. The game isn’t perfect and besides some of the technical issues, I would have given the game a 9.5. Fun factor is there and the game has surpassed all of my expectations. I’m already a KoDC fan girl and hope the game grows big (I would rather see an mmo grow from small to big than big to small).

In spite of the rather small community, I still highly recommend the game as I’m having a great time soloing. I also hope the community picks up as it’s a great game when you party with others as the drops and rewards are even better than journeying by yourself. All these things considered, so far I’m having a great time. There is a kind of reward system for giving you tokens for achieving goals and a ranking system that’s pretty nice.

My conclusion: The pros of this game is that it is very fun, addicting with a nice and easy mission format that keeps you coming back for more. There are a lot of things to do so you don’t feel bored, the game flows quite well. Drops are great and all drops feel like it’s important thus making collecting and building things also a bit addicting. The community is mature and the people nice with good customer support. The cons are a few technical issues such as occasional lag, the graphics are good but it isn’t next generation and they have a rather small community.

Over all I give the game an 8.5 rating.

Comments

• KarmaCry7KarmaCry7 Member Posts: 144

This is also a good review and has inspired me to write one when I get to level 80. I have to stick around a bit longer and see how things evolve before writing a review but so far I support the game and the progress.

I have the right to like what I want!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I wish more reviews were like yours. I think I learned more about the features and aspects of the game from your review than any other source so far. Thanks!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre