Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Guide to UI Customization

Today we have a guide on how to make your UI your own from one of our World of Warcraft correspondents.

Being able to customize your user interface is an integral part of any MMORPG and World of Warcraft does not lack this. There are many talented add-on makers who release add-ons that improve their own personal game play and then make it public so the rest of us have a chance of improving ours. Everyone I know who has played Warcraft for at least a few months has a minimum of two add-ons in the game which shows just how important they have become to us all. In this article I look at how over the years players have become more dependent on the use of modifications to improve their game play and make it easier for them to be good at their class, there is no escaping the army of add-ons that await in World of Warcraft.

Read it all here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• Arden0010Arden0010 World of Warcraft CorrespondentMember Posts: 18

I am the writer if it could be updated,

Also to my readers: This is not a guide to customizing your User Interface, it is more of an overall look at how important they are to us and how customization improves your own game play.

Thanks,

Dan

There is a reason people from your past did not make it to your future.

• dalestaines1dalestaines1 Member Posts: 107

They're quite addictive.

I use tons and there's always something else coming out.

It's very easy to manage all of them if you use something like Curse Client from the Curse addon site.

• Catdancer55Catdancer55 Member UncommonPosts: 28

My thought on my Mods is " don't come between me and the action"  I see these screenshots that are so cluttered that I don't know how anyone can tell who is killing who or what.   If that's your thing  go for it.   I stick to Basics  Quest helper & Titan Panel with gatherer, altoholic, portal broker, profession book, and Atlas . . . you understand everything in neat bars  or  as part of the mouseover tooltip.  When the Wow team makes a better one I stop using a mod   ie: thein game aggro warning replaced Omen  and  CT Mods are all gone for me now.  (sorry ) 

Now if only "Curse" had Mods for  my other online games like a Quest helper for DDO?

===========================
    If you woke up breathing,
    congratulations! You have another
    chance.
    ===========================

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Interesting how some of the innovative UI mod designs have made their way into the game itself.

• GikkuGikku Member Posts: 208

The fact that Bliz at intergrated some of the addons into the game, and probably will continue to do so, says something about the usefulness of addons.

I use many different ones. Some for specific classes, professions the list goes on.  All of which make playing WoW more enjoyable and easier. Some of the addons I use are below.

Omen, OrA2, Big Wigs, Deadly Boss Mods, X-Perl, Bartender4, Heal Bot, Carbonite, Lightheaded, Planner(Talent one some use talented), Auctioneer, Enchantrix, Atlas, Atlas Enchanced Loot, Cartographer, Gatherer, Outfitter, Fishing Buddy, FuBar, Lootster, Loot Hog, Quartz, Tank Mastery, Tank Points, Visual Heal and Totem Manager. 

Pretty much main ones I use .

Makes game play so much more fun and productive.

Gikku

• daggereyedaggereye Member Posts: 19

I read the patchnotes of 3.3 and it looks like blizzard is adding a quest tracking feature, I wonder how that will look, you forgot to mention the gear swap function that was an addon before... Anyway my addons are cooldowns, DBM, cartographer, questhelper, atlas, mobinfo, gatherer.

• GikkuGikku Member Posts: 208

Yes they did add the gear swap but I haven't tried it so not sure how it works compared to Outfitter. In Outfitter I can set up differernt outfits think there is only two set to duel talents but like I said haven't tried it yet. I know the original talk was so you could leave one set in the bank not in your precious bag space and it would work that way but don't think that is the case.

Still they are slowly adding features from popular add ons to the game. If they would just allow a UI we could move and set to our personal choice. Maybe in the future somewhere. Most games UI don't suit us all. ;)

Gikku