Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF XIV = Ultima Online?

Correct me if im wrong but isnt this game sounding like a skill based system? Job Class will be determined based on the weapon, armour or harvesting object currently equiped and used.  Sounds a little like Ultima to me. Perhaps if i equip my staff and cast a Fire 3 spell multiple times i will gain a .2 of a point that caps out at 100 for fire magic. That is what it sounds like to me.

Im not saying this is a bad thing but my rational says to me that the armoury system is a fancy name for a skill based system not a xp system. Im curious as to whether people agree or disagree with me on this.

p.s. on a side note are guildleaves just another name for quests that come on cards that can be traded and shared?

Comments

• BlazenfuryBlazenfury Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 23

The system sounds very similar to that used by Ultima Online. Like getting your swords to 100 made you a sword master ect. It seems like the same basic idea. I'm glad they are going in this direction tho because its different and I'm tired of leveling to the cap to raid

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

No, not really.  My impression was that you could easily switch between being a tank class or being a healer class by switching out your gear.  UO was nothing like that. 

• BlazenfuryBlazenfury Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 23

Yes by switching gear you would change class but you would not retain the level of your old class. Like switching from swordmaster rank 22 would not make you healer rank 22 just by putting a healing staff on instead of a sword. Unless I am completely misunderstanding the system...

So yea it is just like UO, in UO you could go from being a sword wielder to a mage just by putting a spell book instead of your sword

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Switching from L22 sword to healer wont make you a L22 healer no, but switching back will almost assuredly make you a L22 swordsman again.  So in effect you could build your swordsman to 22, then switch and build as a healer to 22, then switch back and forth at will.  Not so much in UO.  You build your stats and skills up for the job you want to do, and you cant change that build quickly.  Unless they changed it after I left.  You could build for caster/swordsman but you would then be gimp for both.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by HairyGoatBoy

Correct me if im wrong but isnt this game sounding like a skill based system? Job Class will be determined based on the weapon, armour or harvesting object currently equiped and used.  Sounds a little like Ultima to me. Perhaps if i equip my staff and cast a Fire 3 spell multiple times i will gain a .2 of a point that caps out at 100 for fire magic. That is what it sounds like to me.
    Im not saying this is a bad thing but my rational says to me that the armoury system is a fancy name for a skill based system not a xp system. Im curious as to whether people agree or disagree with me on this.

p.s. on a side note are guildleaves just another name for quests that come on cards that can be traded and shared?

Actually,this system is sort of fake,because,it IS already in place in FFXI.The difference is that FFXI utilizes everything....class/weapon/spells/skills.Everything in FFXI had to be leveled up the exact same way,your different types of magic, your staff, your 1h sword,your 2h axe ,it all had to be skilled up.So there really is nothing new here,i can't see why they are panning off a streamlined FFXI as being anything new.The clas system is IMO a needed aspect of MMORPG"s.The reason is ,someone asks you what class you play in FFXI,you have to answer, there is no class,or i play everything at once,it just sounds wrong.

Gear and weapons already played the majority   role in FFXI,you had many choices of what you wanted to use,but you grabbed a sword and shield to tank,you loaded up on INT  gear to nuke,you loaded up on WIS to heal,nothing is changing here.it is really the exact same system.It has been easy for Square to claim they are making it easier for the player,but in reality this game design is making it MUCH easier for them to design.This game has replaced the time spent on content and replaced it with better graphics ,more detail.How well this is balanced out is a waiting game to see.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

The only thing new I got out of it is when you switch weapons and what not you switch jobs. No need for going to a mog house to do that.

• HavenAE2035HavenAE2035 Member Posts: 50

Personally,  I'm a little iffy on whether or not FFXIV will be worth trying.  In MMOs a pure skill up advancement system has proven time and time again to be a bad idea.  I'm bored to death of levels myself but I'm very surprised SE didn't innovate a system of their own instead of just copying whats already out there.

But to answer the OP yes that is exactly what the skill system sounds like UO, which bothers me greatly. UO was quite easily the worst online game I've ever played.

By the way no matter how to turn it, unless the skill system is rep based there will be exp, that doesn't mean you'll see the exp but it will be there.

• Originally posted by Wizardry

Actually,this system is sort of fake,because,it IS already in place in FFXI.The difference is that FFXI utilizes everything....class/weapon/spells/skills.Everything in FFXI had to be leveled up the exact same way,your different types of magic, your staff, your 1h sword,your 2h axe ,it all had to be skilled up.So there really is nothing new here,i can't see why they are panning off a streamlined FFXI as being anything new.The clas system is IMO a needed aspect of MMORPG"s.The reason is ,someone asks you what class you play in FFXI,you have to answer, there is no class,or i play everything at once,it just sounds wrong.

Gear and weapons already played the majority   role in FFXI,you had many choices of what you wanted to use,but you grabbed a sword and shield to tank,you loaded up on INT  gear to nuke,you loaded up on WIS to heal,nothing is changing here.it is really the exact same system.It has been easy for Square to claim they are making it easier for the player,but in reality this game design is making it MUCH easier for them to design.This game has replaced the time spent on content and replaced it with better graphics ,more detail.How well this is balanced out is a waiting game to see.

I disagree that this simplifies things.  In FFXI, level checking made things very easy for the programmers.  What weapon you could use, what armor you could wear, what monsters you could handle, what other players you could party with, what spells you could cast, how strong your healing was, etc.  You can't simply replace all of those checks with skill checks.  For instance, assuming you need a lute to cast a certain party buff, will my lute skill determine the strength of it?  If that's the case, then how do they program it so that I can't just skillup in town playing the buff song over and over?  If party strength is determined by comparing skill levels, what happens if I have 100 in lute and 10 in sword, so I cast the ub3r party buff before combat and then switch to my lowbie sword so it doesn't kill party skill-ups?  What determines whether I can wear a 100 armor plate helm or a 1000 armor one?  My helmet skill?

• herniterherniter Member Posts: 14

This game has no PvP how can you even begin to compare it to UO.

• AsuraGerryAsuraGerry Member Posts: 12

UO is not the only skill based game out there. This system has been used before, namely in Star Wars: Galaxies. If you keep up to date at all on FFXIV at all then you would know that their are classes (Finalfantasyxiv.com). So we have a skill based game ... with classes? Seems pretty unique to me don't see how the claim can be made that it's the same as FFXI.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Sixpax

Originally posted by Wizardry

I disagree that this simplifies things.  In FFXI, level checking made things very easy for the programmers.  What weapon you could use, what armor you could wear, what monsters you could handle, what other players you could party with, what spells you could cast, how strong your healing was, etc.  You can't simply replace all of those checks with skill checks.  For instance, assuming you need a lute to cast a certain party buff, will my lute skill determine the strength of it?  If that's the case, then how do they program it so that I can't just skillup in town playing the buff song over and over?  If party strength is determined by comparing skill levels, what happens if I have 100 in lute and 10 in sword, so I cast the ub3r party buff before combat and then switch to my lowbie sword so it doesn't kill party skill-ups?  What determines whether I can wear a 100 armor plate helm or a 1000 armor one?  My helmet skill?

Yes the ywil lhave to base it on your skills,since levels are removed.

Yes i also believe your skill will be based on the highest skill you use,there is no way they would be that dumb to allow a 150 skill when fighting a mob that only needs a 50 skill and not have penalties involved.As was the case in FFXI,players pretty much always mix and match their gear,they were not always worried about level of gear as you most likely will not worry about sometimes having less skilled gear.

Don't forget,nothign is really changing here at all,i wish people would realize that.Your weapon in FFXI bascially determined your job just as it will in this game.The ONLY difference is that the yare allowing you to change jobs on the fly as long as you carry the gear you need with you.What "might "happen is they do something lame like really limit our inventory space,so we cannot carry more than a couple jobs of gear at once.

If you remeber how many spaces you needed to play for example Ranger in FFXI,you wouldn't even have the room for a second set of gear,so how they handle the inventory space in FFXIV will really be interesting.If they do not allow us the space ,then it defeats the whole purpose of the design,i truly think they are trying to do the impossible.They will end up doing something lame to try and offset us from exploiting the system.So ya on one hand they might tell you can play any job anytime,but only give you space for 2 jobs,that would IMO be lame.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Yes i also believe your skill will be based on the highest skill you use,there is no way they would be that dumb to allow a 150 skill when fighting a mob that only needs a 50 skill and not have penalties involved.As was the case in FFXI,players pretty much always mix and match their gear,they were not always worried about level of gear as you most likely will not worry about sometimes having less skilled gear.
    Don't forget,nothign is really changing here at all,i wish people would realize that.Your weapon in FFXI bascially determined your job just as it will in this game.The ONLY difference is that the yare allowing you to change jobs on the fly as long as you carry the gear you need with you.What "might "happen is they do something lame like really limit our inventory space,so we cannot carry more than a couple jobs of gear at once.

Or the could...you know...make it so you can't easily switch gear DURING combat, and then you can still have as much inventory space as you want.