Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard vs EQ2 graphics question

Are the graphics in VG siginificantly different than EQ2, specifically the characters and the armor variety?

Comments

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by meleemadness

Are the graphics in VG siginificantly different than EQ2, specifically the characters and the armor variety?

Yes VG graphics are number more detailed and nicer.  EQ2 armor sets have a ton of textures but the base differences aren't huge.  Both games now have appearance slots so anything you find you can play with.

I have a few old shots of armor in vg and I'm sure you can find more easily.

Here are some current images from eq2

One thing about eq2 is the clothing animations are better then VG.  Cloaks in eq2 are much more fluid then VG.  Also there are far more patterns on things in eq2 then VG.  VG has more armor models and has better detail in the armor.  Other then those aspected eq2 wins when you factor in textures and patterns.

Course this is pretty subjective in many ways so other people may feel differently.  Both games have a free trial so you could check them both out.  Although I guess it is hard to see the diversity from the trial.  VG will have a lot of people around but they will all be newbies on trial island so you can't really see the rest of the world or higher lvl veriety and in eq2 you may not see anyone because the world low level areas are pretty sparsely populated and again the higher lvl people are mostly hiding in guild halls.

---
    Ethion

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Graphics are the same.

Both have buildings that are not quit 3D, rocks that seem to float, un- natural shore lines that look like their done with a straight edge, and bad map systems, the UI are very close, and the music in both are dull elevator music that does not fit in what you are doing.  Vanguard does have better draw distance and trees that seem to have more life to them, but other than that they are the same.

Also the coding in both games are bad, you can tell their made by the same devs.  Vanguard is a better game, but no one ever plays it.  So that makes EQ2 a better game.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

Both need character and armour overhauls.

• jhall229jhall229 Member Posts: 239

I agree with Ethion.  Overall Vanguard looks nicer, but EQ2 has it's strong points, mainly the nice textures.  When EQ2 is cranked up all the way it does look very nice, but there really isn't a computer that can maintain decent FPS in ever area of the game.

EQ2 is old, and they are introducing a new shader version to help with performance, but the people that play the game dont really complain about the graphics/performance because the game is a lot fun and there is a lot of things to do.  It's the people that come to the game and expect the graphics to look like LOTRO or any of the newer games that are the disappointed ones.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

I think that Vanguard has nicer looking environments, but the character models/animations make my eyes bleed.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by jhall229

I agree with Ethion.  Overall Vanguard looks nicer, but EQ2 has it's strong points, mainly the nice textures.  When EQ2 is cranked up all the way it does look very nice, but there really isn't a computer that can maintain decent FPS in ever area of the game.
    EQ2 is old, and they are introducing a new shader version to help with performance, but the people that play the game dont really complain about the graphics/performance because the game is a lot fun and there is a lot of things to do.  It's the people that come to the game and expect the graphics to look like LOTRO or any of the newer games that are the disappointed ones.

ha I was just posting about graphics in the vanguard forum and was just saying I thought that LoTRo has the worst character models and armor of eq2 or vanguard.  It is really ironic to hear people talk about how good LoTRos graphics are.  Yes I think the world graphics are very nice and performance is good.  But the character models make me want to be sick and athe armor variety is rediculous...

I am playing LoTRo now.  I can only think that people who say the LoTRo graphics are great are turning a blind eye to the character models.  The thing that is really ironic is that character models and armor are the first things people complain about in EQ2 and Vanguard. 

I gotta say I just don't get it...

---
    Ethion

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

eq2 is more gothic

if you roll say a plate armor class then it will look like a banged up plate 

it wont look like it just came out of a mold all polished etc

maybe in later level dont know

vg look isnt realistic it look good but if they ever tried to make those at that period

the guy making armore would have said cant do it

eq 2 look like what the techno could do back then 

yep sometime it is fugly but it what they could look like back then 

i love graphic in eq2

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

I disagree Everquest 2 technicaly has far better animations, audio quality and dynamic shadow system than VG, Lotro and Warhammer.

In the end it is a matter of opinion, but to me (and I know I am not alone) Eq2 looks more impressive than newer games like Lotro (and its horrid characters and animations) and Warhammer.

Lets wait and see the results of the upcoming shaders update.

• jhall229jhall229 Member Posts: 239

No one has mentioned sound here, but better animations and shadows??? are you serious?  Hello, LOTRO is DX10 and shadows are much better.  Not that I keep shadows on in EQ2 because it's uses more system resources than it is worth to even keep shadows on IMO.  And animations in EQ2 are pretty damn sloppy if you ask me, and has been an turn off for many people for a long time now. 

LOTRO has excellent graphics if you excuse the poor draw distance (and EQ2 draw distance can be pretty bad if there are enough characters being rendered--no matter how high you have the settings).

I try to say something good about my favorite game and people just have to cut me down :/ But in all honestly, with the graphics turned up in EQ2, most computer's performance will suffer bad  (seriously almost everyone will have to turn their settings almost all the way down to go into raid type scenarios).  But with a game like LOTRO, you dont have to do this as much.

Plain and simple, EQ2, although it can look nice in screen shots, suffers horribly on the performance side.  Just run through any major  city or turn the settings up while in your guild hall and watch your FPS.  And if you dont agree with me, I'm almost positive you dont know what you are talking about (sorry no offense).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by meleemadness

In some cases they both share the same brown rocks and dirt. At times I can be in Vanguard and think "didn't I see this in EQ 2?"

However they really are different. EQ 2 feels more fluid than Vanguard to me. When I see a special effect or animation in Vanguard that is fluid and smooth it always takes me a bit by surprise because the avatars seem so stiff.

The world of vanguard can be excpetiionally beautiful. Far more beautiful than EQ 2 (in my opinion).

It certainly is a bit more open.

Though I miss my shadowknight in EQ 2, I just couldn't stand the world nor the cutseyness that is sprinkled about. Vanguard to me has a bit more serious tone.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

No one has mentioned sound here, but better animations and shadows??? are you serious?  Hello, LOTRO is DX10 and shadows are much better.  Not that I keep shadows on in EQ2 because it's uses more system resources than it is worth to even keep shadows on IMO.  And animations in EQ2 are pretty damn sloppy if you ask me. 
    LOTRO has excellent graphics if you excuse the poor draw distance (and EQ2 draw distance can be pretty bad if there are enough characters being rendered--no matter how high you have the settings).
    I try to say something good about my favorite game and people just have to cut me down :/

EQ2 is one of the few MMOs using motion capture and maximized is very well done. Even if you don't like them you can't call them techinically "sloppy" sorry. Lets not forget cloth animation.

EQ2 shadows runs pretty well in today´s PCs and it is more intense and present than LOTRO shadows.

DX10 in LOTRO is more of a gimmick than anything. Try to compare the full world dynamic shadows of Everquest 2, AOC and even DX9 games like DOOM3 and FEAR with the shadows in LOTRO ...I am talking about full world dymanic shadows keep it in mind.

Of course I am talking about EQ2 with maxed graphics and we all know that today a lot of players play EQ2 with max settings and no issue.

EQ2, AOC and AION are only MMOs today with complex animations especially if you compare to Vanguard, Lotro and War. You may prefer ring animations but this is a matter of personal taste.

The thing with EQ2 is its artsyle and design it is not for everyone but we can't call it sloppy.

Audio quality, from voice overs to music and effects is also great. I personally enjoy the musical ambiences and orchestrations too but this is a matter of personal taste.