Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood Release Date Announced

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Siege of Mirkwood, the recently announced digital expansion to The Lord of the Rings Online will launch on December 1st, 2009, according to an announcement released by Turbine today.

The announcement of a new LOTRO Adventurer's Pack was also part of today's announcement. The new pack will launch simultaneously with the Siege of Mirkwood digital expansion, and will contain 2 additional character slots, and a shared storage slot allowing for players to share their items across all their characters on the same server. Customers who pre-order the Adventurer's Pack will also receive two exclusive in-game items, the Harbinger's Cloak which provides an 8% speed buff, and a new Dusky Nimblefoot Goat mount.

Both the Siege of Mirkwood and the LOTRO Adventurer's Pack are available for pre-order now and will run you $19.99 each, though there are some special offers going on as well. Former subscribers who renew their accounts, or current subscribers who upgrade their accounts to a multi-month (3, 6, 9 month) subscription between now and October 31st will receive Siege of Mirkwood free. Also, Lifetime Subscribers who purchase the LOTRO Adventurer's Pack will receive the Siege of Mirkwood digital expansion free of charge.

Speaking of Lifetime subscriptions, they're back, and will run you $199 if you're interested.

Pre-order the "Siege of Mirkwood" digital expansion and LOTRO Adventurer's Pack here!

Turbine has also sent us a batch of new screenshots of the upcoming Siege of Mirkwood digital expansion, which you can find in our The Lord of the Rings gallery.

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

New screen shots?

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

New screen shots?

They have like 10 screens at lotro.com/mirkwood

Originally posted by Swoogie

New screen shots?

They said they had some new ones here, I do not see them.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

The "upgrade to a multi-month payment" is an interesting way to get people to commit more, but leaving out current subscribers who already have a multi-month payment option but not the Lifetime option just strikes me as very inconsiderate. Morale of the story is... if you're going to play LotRO, make sure to keep Turbine guessing as to whether or not the next month will be your last.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Swoogie

New screen shots?

They said they had some new ones here, I do not see them.

Sorry, these are being added to the gallery. They should be up shortly, I will update this post when they are!

Originally posted by streea

The "upgrade to a multi-month payment" is an interesting way to get people to commit more, but leaving out current subscribers who already have a multi-month payment option but not the Lifetime option just strikes me as very inconsiderate. Morale of the story is... if you're going to play LotRO, make sure to keep Turbine guessing as to whether or not the next month will be your last.

If you are all ready on the multi-month plan...... YOU GET MIRKWOOD FOR FREE. (but you have to buy the adventure pack if you want it)
    As for lifetime, did you not read? Preorder the Adventure pack, and ......  YOU GET MIRKWOOD FOR FREE.

I dug up a bit of clarification for those of use using the multi-month subscription offer.

You can choose to go into a multi-month price plan, save about 33% over regular monthly fees and get Mirkwood for free! If you're already in one of our special Founder's multi-month plans, then as long as you keep your account active through Mirkwood's launch you'll get Mirkwood for free. Lastly, if you happen to be in a $9.99 monthly plan from launch, you can switch to a multi-month plan at the same base rate and get Mirkwood for free. Hopefully one of these options is applicable to you.

Morale of the story.... READ.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Marketroid says:

"If you already subscribe via a multi-month plan you're all set. Just keep your plan active through the launch of Mirkwood and it's free!"

edit: Bah MrBlood beat me to it :)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

All twelve new screenshots are now available in the gallery, I apologize for the confusion! 

• TarzinTarzin Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by MikeB

All twelve new screenshots are now available in the gallery, I apologize for the confusion! 

That  is awesome.  Finallly they have introduced evil men into the higher level quests.

• teuchyteuchy Member Posts: 35

They've definitely made this more complicated than they had to.  I don't know why they didn't just make it $20 for everything to existing lifers, multi-month peeps and those that sign up for multi-month plans now.

And while people can figure it out if they read it carefully - making it complicated has (a) left a bunch of people confused; and (b) is a sign of a poorly thought out plan.

I've heard some lifers are annoyed because they feel they're being ripped off if they don't want the Adventurer's Pack (only want the expansion) compared to those multi-monthers that want the expansion only.  Ultimately, I'm not concerned because I'm paying $20 either way (I'm a Lifer) but the fact that it's p*ssed some people off is not a good thing.

Slainte Mhath!

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by teuchy

They've definitely made this more complicated than they had to.  I don't know why they didn't just make it $20 for everything to existing lifers, multi-month peeps and those that sign up for multi-month plans now.
    And while people can figure it out if they read it carefully - making it complicated has (a) left a bunch of people confused; and (b) is a sign of a poorly thought out plan.
    I've heard some lifers are annoyed because they feel they're being ripped off if they don't want the Adventurer's Pack (only want the expansion) compared to those multi-monthers that want the expansion only.  Ultimately, I'm not concerned because I'm paying $20 either way (I'm a Lifer) but the fact that it's p*ssed some people off is not a good thing.

People on forums get pissed of no matter what you do... thats the golden rule. Even when they make a bonus deal for lifetimers and multi-month subscribers they get pissed off...

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• kristovkristov Member Posts: 19

Did they ever update the super junk UI on this game like they promised they would last expansion and then did not deliver?

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301

Im a founder (beta) subscriber  but i was very dissapointed with moria  as all it had was  a gob more respawning mobs  and  rad raid instances  which dont intrest me  are you trying to be WOW?  because thats exactly what im seeing,,, higher levels,, bigger mobs,, more mundain hack and slash  shallow game play  less and less casual play content,, and more item crap like  faction, legacy, and crafting items we dont have room for.

TELL me that mirkwood is not gonna be more if the same uninspired  rail at the end of the track?

whats gonna be next year?  loanly mountain with a level 70 cap? and more "RAD REQUIRED" raid instances?

I use to be VERY loyal,  but  lately turbine as been loosing my faith  and it started with that lame fishing  though your total neglect of the housing didnt help!

get back on track,, be better!  Id like to hear about something really interesting in mirkwood  climbable objects would be a start

improved crafting and forragables

overhaul the housing areas to make them usefull

siege weapons

new craft skill fletching 

better charactor design and animations

more bag space!!! 

pick 3 craft skills

slippery ice

functional boats!

resizeable UI windows

much better auction sorting

more campsites

bank drop spot

probably need more hotkey bars now too with more skills

public works projects like bridges

progress bar under faction.

oh and they have 2 expansions each 20$  instead of 1 box expansion for 50$  sound cheap scam to me i prefer to buy the BOX set so that if I need to reinstall it doesnt take me days to do.

and yet ANOTHER CLOAK!!  like i dont have 4-5 promotion cloaks ALLREADY!!!   how about a hat or even BOOTS?  gezs  its not like we have room to STORE THEM!

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by brenth

Im a founder (beta) subscriber  but i was very dissapointed with moria  as all it had was  a gob more respawning mobs  and  rad raid instances  which dont intrest me  are you trying to be WOW?  because thats exactly what im seeing,,, higher levels,, bigger mobs,, more mundain hack and slash  shallow game play  less and less casual play content,, and more item crap like  faction, legacy, and crafting items we dont have room for.

TELL me that mirkwood is not gonna be more if the same uninspired  rail at the end of the track?
    whats gonna be next year?  loanly mountain with a level 70 cap? and more "RAD REQUIRED" raid instances?
    I use to be VERY loyal,  but  lately turbine as been loosing my faith  and it started with that lame fishing  though your total neglect of the housing didnt help!
    get back on track,, be better!  Id like to hear about something really interesting in mirkwood  climbable objects would be a start
    sure. Though Steefel already said that they were working on crafting.
    sure
    siege weapons
    Only if there is something to siege that makes sense.
    Why? For hunters? seems like a lot to add for not much return. And hunters are already pretty good.
    more bag space!!! 
    un, sure I suppose.
    pick 3 craft skills
    slippery ice
    once again, why? I think there are two areas that have ice. Seems to be too little too late.
    functional boats!
    for what?

oh and they have 2 expansions each 20$  instead of 1 box expansion for 50$  sound cheap scam to me i prefer to buy the BOX set so that if I need to reinstall it doesnt take me days to do.
    and yet ANOTHER CLOAK!!  like i dont have 4-5 promotion cloaks ALLREADY!!!   how about a hat or even BOOTS?  gezs  its not like we have room to STORE THEM!

I want them to add content that makes sense with middle earth. I want storylines that make sense to middle earth. Not the sci-fi Moria storyline with a fungus.

I'm not looking for generic fantasy world number 125. I want a game that is in Middle Earth that makes sense to Middle Earth.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Actually, most people will get "2 expansions" for $20 total - which is much better than $50 for a 1 box expansion.

In terms of the cloaks, yeah, I'd like to see some better freebies.  But, in terms of the space they take up, at least some of the items can be deleted and the restored using a special command.  I forget what the command is because, after a point in time, who needs to keep all those cloaks you don't use?

Slainte Mhath!

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301

fletching would be for any  bow or crossbow

they are consumables  used in place of the standard default shot

once the 20  say... frost arrows  are used up  then it foes back to the default shot

you could have extra damage arrows,, or  extended range arrows   just to name a few

what other craft would you sugest  in a MMO with a combat based economy?  pottery?   basket weaving?  candle making?

Id actually like to see animal raising  but like thats gonna happen!

as for slippery ice   forochel is  nothing but white colored dirt!   same for misty     you would be SUPRISED how much fun it is sliping and sliding around on slippery ice,, but i think that every zone should have some side attraction    because when you finish most of the quests in forochel.. man that place is DEAD!  it has no FURTHER USE   and its really bad to have DEAD ZONES  like everquest commons  where its rare to ever see another player.  new people come in and see how DEAD it is and quickly leave.

you need to have  projects and hobbies that players can work on that isnt bound by time or level

how about  water slides in moria?   or  an orecart (rollercoaster) taxi ride?

mountain climbing  even tree climbing for mirkwood.

use your imagination.

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

fletching would be for any  bow or crossbow
    they are consumables  used in place of the standard default shot
    once the 20  say... frost arrows  are used up  then it foes back to the default shot
    you could have extra damage arrows,, or  extended range arrows   just to name a few

what other craft would you sugest  in a MMO with a combat based economy?  pottery?   basket weaving?  candle making?
    Id actually like to see animal raising  but like thats gonna happen!

as for slippery ice   forochel is  nothing but white colored dirt!   same for misty     you would be SUPRISED how much fun it is sliping and sliding around on slippery ice,, but i think that every zone should have some side attraction    because when you finish most of the quests in forochel.. man that place is DEAD!  it has no FURTHER USE   and its really bad to have DEAD ZONES  like everquest commons  where its rare to ever see another player.  new people come in and see how DEAD it is and quickly leave.
    you need to have  projects and hobbies that players can work on that isnt bound by time or level
    how about  water slides in moria?   or  an orecart (rollercoaster) taxi ride?
    mountain climbing  even tree climbing for mirkwood.
    use your imagination.

Why create a new craft skill that is only useable by hunters when they could expand the bow chants that the scholars currently make?  They essentially perform the same purpose and adding new bow chant recipes would be easier to implement than changing hunters to allow them to use special arrows.

And no thank you on the slippery ice.  I remember playing Fire & Ice on the Amiga and I currently live in Upstate NY - slippery ice would not be a fun addition to the gameplay IMHO.  There are ways to implement it though without having people slide all over the place (which I think would be frustrating).  You could increase the "knock down" chance to reflect playing on an icey surface.

At the end of the day though - this is a game.  Most people prefer to play a game rather than something that simulates real life too closely (look at the niche audiences of FPSes that go for realism compared to the mass audience FPSes).

Slainte Mhath!

• SpunnySpunny Member Posts: 4

I play this game from the realse but now i just stop playing.

its just crap they dont give a shit about pvp players.

And the only thing you can do now when you reach lvl cap is raiding raiding and gear gear gear it just sucks

Crafting is useless well you can get some money thats all but you only need it for pots and scrolls (for raiding lol)

it was one of the best games i ever played but after Moria its just crap

2-3 Years in the same pvp area Turbine wtf you just dont give a shit about pvp

siege weapons
    more bag space!!! 
    pick 3 craft skills
    slippery ice
    functional boats!
    resizeable UI windows
    much better auction sorting
    more campsites
    bank drop spot
    probably need more hotkey bars now too with more skills
    public works projects like bridges
    progress bar under faction.

It like you read nothing about the expansion.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

If you are all ready on the multi-month plan...... YOU GET MIRKWOOD FOR FREE. (but you have to buy the adventure pack if you want it)

As for lifetime, did you not read? Preorder the Adventure pack, and ......  YOU GET MIRKWOOD FOR FREE.

I dug up a bit of clarification for those of use using the multi-month subscription offer.

You can choose to go into a multi-month price plan, save about 33% over regular monthly fees and get Mirkwood for free! If you're already in one of our special Founder's multi-month plans, then as long as you keep your account active through Mirkwood's launch you'll get Mirkwood for free. Lastly, if you happen to be in a $9.99 monthly plan from launch, you can switch to a multi-month plan at the same base rate and get Mirkwood for free. Hopefully one of these options is applicable to you.

The fact is, I went off of what MMORPG had posted, which mentioned nothing about what current multi-monthly subscribers got. Nor was there a link to the original announcement. Even if you read the original announcement, it's a bit confusing as it mentions that "if you renew before Oct 31st". So what if your payment plan is set to "renew" after that date?

You also had to "dig up a bit of clarification" in the forums just to find something definite.

As for the lifetime, I DID read it... you didn't bother to read my statement correctly at all. "leaving out current subscribers who already have a multi-month payment option but not the Lifetime option." The only reason I didn't repeat the Lifetime part in my last sentence is because I had already stated that Lifetimers were doing fine.

Morale of the story is... maybe you should read yourself before freaking out over something that obviously confused other people as well. I'm glad that they clarified this point and that they didn't leave these players in the dark.

The fact is, I went off of what MMORPG had posted, which mentioned nothing about what current multi-monthly subscribers got. Nor was there a link to the original announcement. Even if you read the original announcement, it's a bit confusing as it mentions that "if you renew before Oct 31st". So what if your payment plan is set to "renew" after that date?

You also had to "dig up a bit of clarification" in the forums just to find something definite.

As for the lifetime, I DID read it... you didn't bother to read my statement correctly at all. "leaving out current subscribers who already have a multi-month payment option but not the Lifetime option." The only reason I didn't repeat the Lifetime part in my last sentence is because I had already stated that Lifetimers were doing fine.

Morale of the story is... maybe you should read yourself before freaking out over something that obviously confused other people as well. I'm glad that they clarified this point and that they didn't leave these players in the dark.

Your welcome, and I am glad I could clear that up for you. The love letter was not needed.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

You try and help some people, eh?

Anyways, at least they are offering anything!

I for one will take advantage of the multi-month offer and snag the expansion for free. 30 bucks for 3 months and expansion? Yes please, thank you.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

And as a lifer, $20 for the expansion and the adventure pack is a no brainer.  I would have paid the $20 for the expansion alone, even without the adventure pack functionality.

Slainte Mhath!

Originally posted by Ramones274

You try and help some people, eh?
    Anyways, at least they are offering anything!
    I for one will take advantage of the multi-month offer and snag the expansion for free. 30 bucks for 3 months and expansion? Yes please, thank you.

Yep, Turbine once again just offed the best deal in MMO gaming, and people still complain.

----------

How are you?" -Me