Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC question

robby5403robby5403 Member Posts: 368

Trying to chose between 2 pc's.

PC1

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 (4x2.5GHZ)

6gb DDR3 1066

nvidea gt210 with 512 mb ddr (high overclocked 9400gt)

Win vista 64bit

PC2

Amd Athlon II X4 620 (4x2.6GHZ)

8gb DDR2 800

Nvidea gt120 with 1gb ddr (overclocked 9500gt)

Wind Vista 64bit

Which one should perform best?

Comments

• decoy26517decoy26517 Member Posts: 313

neither, with the rest of the hardware the graphics cards should be a lot better.

BTW: Hardware forum here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/851/Hardware.html :P

"World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this genre." - Hilmar Petursson. CEO of CCP.

• robby5403robby5403 Member Posts: 368
    Originally posted by decoy26517

neither, with the rest of the hardware the graphics cards should be a lot better.
    BTW: Hardware forum here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/851/Hardware.html :P

Im going the chenge the graphic card so just look at the other specs :P

Well lets take a look

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 > Amd Athlon II X4 620
    The Q8300 is more on mark with the AMD X4 940 or 925.

6gb DDR3 1066 > 8gb DDR2 800
    You REALLY don't need that much RAM unless your running a server or something. For gaming that's a bit over kill atm.

If you can get windows 7, it slays every other OS out there. While Vista is a stink monkey. Hope that helps.

"World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this genre." - Hilmar Petursson. CEO of CCP.

Well lets take a look

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 > Amd Athlon II X4 620

The Q8300 is more on mark with the AMD X4 940 or 925.
    6gb DDR3 1066 > 8gb DDR2 800

You REALLY don't need that much RAM unless your running a server or something. For gaming that's a bit over kill atm.
    If you can get windows 7, it slays every other OS out there. While Vista is a stink monkey. Hope that helps.

Alo for MMo's like AION? And what is better the GT210 with 512 ddr2 or the GT120 with 1 gb ddr2 for the first month?

From what I've read the GT120 looks better. I dislike how this companies keep renumbering everything :(

The GT120 is a glorified 9500GT
    The GT210 is a glorified 9400GT

Again, you'll want to spend a little extra cash on the GPU. That's whats holding back your rig atm :P

From what I've read the GT120 looks better. I dislike how this companies keep renumbering everything :(
    The GT120 is a glorified 9500GT

The GT210 is a glorified 9400GT
    Again, you'll want to spend a little extra cash on the GPU. That's whats holding back your rig atm :P

Last question. Since it was going about the Acer X5810 (barbone size with the Q8300) vs the Acer 5201 (normal size) Im not sure if the barbone size will be good for game since it can't be cooled that good I think. Also I hear that the X4 is optimiyed for Win7 and since I get Win 7 as soon as it get out it might be a better choise or?

• chesiremorphchesiremorph Member Posts: 128

Intel. Nuff said.

BoB

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

Those graphic cards aren't really fit for gaming, if I were you, I'd choose 720 BE triple core and use the extra money on better graphic card.

Originally posted by chesiremorph
    Intel. Nuff said.

Don't listen to crazy talk like this. $ per performance AMD does much better. Case in point the AMD X4 940 is better and cheaper than the Q8300.

but to get back on topic, Windows 7 > anything else out there so get it if you can.
    On cases.. i dunno much about Acer cases :O Might want to see if someone else here knows.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Best for what?  You better not try to play recent games on either of those without any semblance of a modern video card.

The choice between Intel and AMD in a processor is basically a question of whether you're willing to pay at least $200 for the processor.  If so, Intel's Core i5/i7 Lynnfield processors are generally the best value, as AMD just can't compete with them on pure performance.  If you're not willing to pay $200 for a processor, then AMD offers better performance at any give price point below that.  The Athlon II X4 you cite is a $100 processor, and you can get some faster Phenom II processors for still under $200.  Intel's Core 2 line doesn't make sense on a price/performance basis anymore unless you've already got a motherboard with an LGA 775 processor socket and want to upgrade the processor.

Anything more than 4 GB of memory is overkill at the moment unless you're doing something unusually memory intensive with your computer.  6 GB is probably a bad idea, as your amount of memory should generally be a power of 2 unless you've got a triple-channel memory motherboard with Intel's high end X58 chipset, in which case it should be three times a power of 2.  It's easy to add more memory later when you need it.  Also, if you're getting an Athlon II, you can get one with DDR3 memory, which is a lot faster than DDR2 and nearly the same price.