Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minmatar missiles damage?

PaincakePaincake Member Posts: 139

I'm a Minmatar, Vherokior. I wanted to train using missiles instead of projectiles. Those machine guns from tutorials and missions I have currently bores me. Missiles give more satisfaction in combat as I expirimented this with an alt. I actually started to enjoy combat again.

Although apparently Minmatar ships aren't quite optimal to use it with. Thats a no go for me then unfortunately. It was recommended that I train Caldari flight (I hope this won't require me to farm for standings?).

But then again, won't a Caldari racial player have advantage over a Minmatar racial flying a Caldari ship? Do they get any benefits? Do I lose any benefits? Are the benefits worth it? Please note I'm a new player, but I like the character I created and would prefer to keep it.

Comments

• SequenceLostSequenceLost Member UncommonPosts: 202

For starters let me preface this with the fact that Ive been drinking the last of my cherished Jameson crested 10 for about 2 hours now and have a slight buzz going here and thus grammer may not be at its peak.

** Cough** if anyone can get this poor US boy some more id be willing to throw a few bucks your way to ship it to me!!

anyways that said.

Former Eve player here (up til about 2 months ago) so unless things have changed drastically in the past 2 months (i can't imagine they have) lets see if i can help:

"Although apparently Minmatar ships aren't quite optimal to use it with. Thats a no go for me then unfortunately"

For starters thats sort of a bad thought process.  Yes your ship will not be able to outfit itself with missiles the way a caldari ship may be able to, however there are multiple ships for minmatar which allow the use of missile systems, and in conjunction with projectile's they can make for a great projectile/missile combo.

Now to tackle the meat of your post

"won't a Caldari racial player have advantage over a Minmatar racial flying a Caldari ship? Do they get any benefits? Do I lose any benefits? Are the benefits worth it?"

The easy answer to this is - NO.

Prior to the appocrypha (pardon the spelling) expansion i'd have said yes...in fact i began typing my whole "this is why and such" before remembering that things have changed.  anyways - now you no longer have to worry.  all players (last i remember) start with the same skill sets.  That said, does a caldari have better skills for missiles than a minmatar overall? probably.  considering they started the game with ships that are tailored in that direction it is likely that they can field a missile boat a little better than you at the start of the game. Dont be discouraged - within a month or less you could easily field the same ship and be just as effective.  As for benefits, the only benefits in the game come from your initial racial traits which honestly do not tailor themselves towards their specific ships or specializations what-so-ever.  Overall it all comes down to one ideal principle, which makes or breaks the game for most folks when they realize it.   Your character will never be AS good as any character created before you (whose player has continued to play).  I KNOW ill get burned for saying that but for those about to burn me consider what im saying.  Yes you may eventually be just as good at combat as people before you, or just as good at mining, etc etc. but you will never acquire as many skill points or skills as those before you.  The entire game of EVE is an evil heirarchy where-in those that originally created characters on launch day and continue to play them, will forever have better characters (overall) than you.  The easiest thing to cope with this is the old saying "there is always someone out there who can beat you".  If your ok with that then 1 month worth of training missiles and such in order to switch your minmatar over to caldari ships is no big deal.  And just remember - when/if you do decide to do that, you can always still go back to your minmatar ways if you need to. 

I'd just like to end with the fact that your Minmatar has one thing going for him no matter what.  The Rifter.

Yes its an early ship, yes its cheap, but i guarrantee no one here will down its effectiveness and overall "umph" in PVP combat.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Both missiles and gunnery are extensive skill sets. As a new player it's probably better to select one over the other as a primary weapon system. Typically, gunnery is seen as more for PVP and missiles more for PVE. Over time all of the lines tend to slowly blur. As a new player, However, I would suggest training caldari ships if your set on missiles. The only disadvantage to this is that as a new player you have been given a skill set up for Minmatar frig. (not Caldari) Other than this there is no draw back. Personally, I like gunnery better because if relates to rails, projectiles, and lasers. If your set on missiles, thought, I would suggest Caldari ships to start.

• PaincakePaincake Member Posts: 139

Very detailed responce for a drunk guy, thank you! I do realise that my progress will be behind compared to those that started the game at launch day. Despite this, I still decided to play the game, at least give it a try you know. I'm enjoying the game, but this progress bottleneck definitely really bothers me. I'm generally a competitive player, and this bottleneck is kind of discouraging to new players.

So on the other hand, flying a Caldari with projectiles isn't optimal either, correct? So if I fly lets say a Rifter (yes its an awesome ship I know) combined with missiles and projectiles. Then it somewhat compensated itself I suppose. I'm still new, but I would have figured mixing weapons isn't a good idea considering the optimal range would be compromised.

The whole game is basicly a time investment, thats the only thing thats putting me off. Yes yes, I too hate grinding in MMO's, but at least grindy MMO's you can catch up your progress whereas in EvE you cannot :)

• PaincakePaincake Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by qazyman

Both missiles and gunnery are extensive skill sets. As a new player it's probably better to select one over the other as a primary weapon system. Typically, gunnery is seen as more for PVP and missiles more for PVE. Over time all of the lines tend to slowly blur. As a new player, However, I would suggest training caldari ships if your set on missiles. The only disadvantage to this is that as a new player you have been given a skill set up for Minmatar frig. (not Caldari) Other than this there is no draw back. Personally, I like gunnery better because if relates to rails, projectiles, and lasers. If your set on missiles, thought, I would suggest Caldari ships to start.

Thing is, I simply get more satisfaction in combat with missiles. Railguns kind of bore me. I generally prioritize PvP over PvE, despite involving in alot of PvE too.

As a new player I have the tendency to train as much skills as possible. This is simply out of curiousity, I can't help it. I need to get a feel for all the ship fittings and what they are intended for. Soon enough I'l have a useless character, that excelles at nothing whatsoever. Its pretty ironic though, in most MMO's I dislike the jack of all trades hybrid style. Being able to reset skills would have been a godsent for a new player.

Atm I have all the Learning skills in the right order, it was recommended after I had a conversation with a helpfull player. So after the Learning skills is processed I will have to expiriment even more. So yes skills will be wasted.

Only thing that is discouraging tbh. Being told it will take over 30 years to reach a characters limit. I enjoy the game, its very very unique. But this is far too hardcore for me. And to think that I am a dedicated player.  Lol, it doesn't compare to any other game.

• KevinKenobiKevinKenobi EVE CorrespondentMember Posts: 19

I can't blame you for wanting to try as many ships as  you desire, it really is more helpful to set a goal and stick to it. 

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

its all down to skills, any character can train any skill, caldari players just start with caldari frigate trained and minmatar players dont.

missiles are great for pve but a little poor in pvp.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by Paincake

Originally posted by qazyman

Thing is, I simply get more satisfaction in combat with missiles. Railguns kind of bore me. I generally prioritize PvP over PvE, despite involving in alot of PvE too.

As a new player I have the tendency to train as much skills as possible. This is simply out of curiousity, I can't help it. I need to get a feel for all the ship fittings and what they are intended for. Soon enough I'l have a useless character, that excelles at nothing whatsoever. Its pretty ironic though, in most MMO's I dislike the jack of all trades hybrid style. Being able to reset skills would have been a godsent for a new player.

Atm I have all the Learning skills in the right order, it was recommended after I had a conversation with a helpfull player. So after the Learning skills is processed I will have to expiriment even more. So yes skills will be wasted.

Only thing that is discouraging tbh. Being told it will take over 30 years to reach a characters limit. I enjoy the game, its very very unique. But this is far too hardcore for me. And to think that I am a dedicated player.  Lol, it doesn't compare to any other game.

HeHeHe One of the things no one really talks about is that missiles are fun! Especially the standard missiles in frig combat as they home in on there target. Very Cool IMO!

As for the rest, to my way of thinking, the most important thing in the early stages of the game is flying with the right group of people. Everything else is secondary!

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Originally posted by Paincake

I  run a jack of all trades character thank you very much... And since there is not a limit to what you train there is nothing wrong with diversifying in fact i've shown my corpmates its extremely useful. The problem is stop looking at capping out a character to be important, look at the small setups to make your self capped out at certain goals such as Energy grid operation/Management both to 5 to get the best natural cap recharge rate. These goals have very realistic time periods to obtain them.

Now Combining missles with other weapons is the exception to mixing weapons. Which by the way that rule is more in place for things like fitting a Maelstrom with 4x 1400mm howitzers and 4 800mm repeating autocannons. Missles by their nature are optimum neutral, you missles will either reach them or they won't so all you have to worry about is having the long or short range varient of missle for your ship size. A hurricane with 6 Medium autocannons and 2 Hvy. Assault launchers works well, but you'd want regular heavies if your going to use Artillery.