Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XBox 360 or PS3?

smsfrarsmsfrar Member Posts: 12

I am so torn and need some help here! I want to get me an XBOX 360 Elite now that the price has dropped but not just for that but for the beloved HALO games. I also want a PS3 for all it's power and glory and the BluRay player also lol, so someone please help me decide!! Just cast your vote based on reputation, capabilities, breakdowns.

Ty, smsfrar

"Amazing how you can do without the essentials of life, so long as you have the luxuries".

Comments

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Turbines new console MMO will only be on the 360

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Rayx0r

Actually it's for both the 360 and the PS3.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The XBox360 Elite does not include a hard drive which will be a serious problem if you want to play a console mmo.  I think right now at this second.  PS3 slim is the choice console.  It has already sold a million units.  Adding or upgrading the HD on the PS3 is also a simple task compared to all the editing you need to do on an XBox360.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by Cleffy

The XBox360 Elite does not include a hard drive which will be a serious problem if you want to play a console mmo.  I think right now at this second.  PS3 slim is the choice console.  It has already sold a million units.  Adding or upgrading the HD on the PS3 is also a simple task compared to all the editing you need to do on an XBox360.

Xbox 360 Arcade you meant when you said no drive? The Elite comes with a 120GB drive, same as the PS3 slim.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by smsfrar

I am so torn and need some help here! I want to get me an XBOX 360 Elite now that the price has dropped but not just for that but for the beloved HALO games. I also want a PS3 for all it's power and glory and the BluRay player also lol, so someone please help me decide!! Just cast your vote based on reputation, capabilities, breakdowns.
    Ty, smsfrar

Both eventually, even if it takes a year.

The question then becomes simply which can wait. Which has the most games out that you're interested in right now? Which has the most interesting coming out soon? Which far in the distance? Prefer Live or PSN? Netflix or Bluray? etc.

• huatoslynhuatoslyn Member Posts: 18

PS3 at present

for MGS4!

• smsfrarsmsfrar Member Posts: 12

Well so far I'm leaning more to the 360, there's a Worthog calling my name to help take down those grunts & elites!

"Amazing how you can do without the essentials of life, so long as you have the luxuries".

• moonlight21moonlight21 Member Posts: 67

XBOX its my own choice..

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

i use the 360 for Netflix and the consoles ability to network with my PC for streaming self made sound tracks in games etc..

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902
    Originally posted by Gameloading

ya, I thought that too. I know I made that statement sound very absolute, but after listening to turbines discussion at GDC this year I dont think it will be coming to the PS3

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

ya, I thought that too. I know I made that statement sound very absolute, but after listening to turbines discussion at GDC this year I dont think it will be coming to the PS3

They already mentioned it will be coming to both systems.

What they were talking about at GDC was which platform would be the lead to develop on.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

I have had my ps3 for over 2 years now not one issue with it,

took a power hit from a storm, and all i had to do was do a "graphics card reset" (a series of off and on's holding down the power button) and it came right back to life...  I recently just upgraded to a faster spinning 320G drive.

I use my ps3 for streaming all forms of media to my tv as well from my pc's on the network...i don't have cable, so i download the torrents of the shows I watch..i.e. heroes, fringe, and then just watch them from my ps3

Another note..

A buddy of mine who is WAY MORE discriminating than most owns BOTH consoles...he chooses his ps3 over xbox for a massive number of reasons. 

I intend to create a linux partition with it some day...when i get time to goof off.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Trust me, 360.

Pro's

• has better online capabilites
    • it's future looks more promising
    • natal will rule the motion capture gaming campagin

Con's

• online isn't free
    • doesn't play blu-ray

Basicly, if you enjoy multiplayer, 360. Want amazing graphics and blu-ray capabilities with the sacrafice of multiplayer gaming, PS3.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

Originally posted by Sora2810

Trust me, 360.
    Pro's

has better online capabilites
    it's future looks more promising
    natal will rule the motion capture gaming campagin

Con's

online isn't free
    doesn't play blu-ray

Basicly, if you enjoy multiplayer, 360. Want amazing graphics and blu-ray capabilities with the sacrafice of multiplayer gaming, PS3.

CON to xbox...YOUR box hosts the game...

ps3 network hosts their games..that's a huge difference...

and to show the extreme difference...take a look at MAG...coming to ps3...talk about blowing xbox away with online gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RadpFEwtTSE

256 players online in same game.... enough said...xbox will never touch that

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

PS3 in my opinion, fantastic value, has pretty much all type of games, dont have to pay for online etc etc.

?

Trust me, 360.
    Pro's

Con's

online isn't free
    doesn't play blu-ray

I'd definitly argu the PS3 has a better upcomming lineup of games. Natal will rule the motion capture gaming campaign? why? The only thing you can do with it are minigame collections and sport games.

Sacrifice of multiplayer? You're not sacrificing much if you go Playstation 3 and you get something much better in return. Pretty much the only things the 360's online has that the PS3's don't is cross game chat, party chat and game invites.

In return you get something that's much better: Dedicated servers. Ever wondered why Xbox 360 games usually only allow 16 or 20 players in a gameroom? It's because it uses a peer to peer connection. To compare, Playstation 3 has games such as Killzone 2 (32 players) Resistance 2 (60 players) and MAG (256 players). Ofcourse it's also free of charge and you get Home.

• smsfrarsmsfrar Member Posts: 12

I made my choice this evening and the winner is XBOX!!!! I picked up the Xbox 360 Super Elite 250GB Bundle that included

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

250GB Hard Drive

2 black wireless controllers, headset

1 Ethernet cable and A/V cable

All for $399 and now all I need to do is pick up a copy of Halo 3 ODST and The Need For Speed: Shift

I can't wait to kick some Covenant butts!

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Trust me, 360.
    Pro's

Con's

online isn't free
    doesn't play blu-ray

I'd definitly argu the PS3 has a better upcomming lineup of games.

lol i hear that every year, i think a couple times it was you who said it in previous years. When do you really think the PS3 will actually have a better lineup? Next year or 3 years in the future?

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

The blu-ray player might be worthwhile if you wait about 5 years when the blu-ray films are cheap, which will be when blu-ray players will be cheap anyway.....

Anywhos, just looks at the games list, forget everything else, all the following is insignificant:-

• 360 will blow up in about 1.5 years (xbox 360 is uber cheap anyways)
    • Blu-ray
    • You have to pay £35 for xbox gold year sub (it's the cost of a night out, dunno why loads of people cry about that since the service Microsoft provide is actually good)
    • PS3 home (biggest pile of junk I've seen ever, maybe ok if I've never played any form of an online game)
    • A few other things which I can't remember from the top of my head

So, all you need to consider for your decision is released and upcoming exclusive games for the consoles.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• DevilManDiesDevilManDies Member Posts: 3

Xbox is great!

www.mmoaholics.com For The World!

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

i prefer 360 over PS3. but why hate on either one, just get em both and enjoy the best of both worlds. both have great exclusives. we can all come together and hate on the wii.

gamertag - Swaffle House

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Faxxer

and to show the extreme difference...take a look at MAG...coming to ps3...talk about blowing xbox away with online gaming.

Have you seen the in game footage for mag? Looks horrible, bad graphics and animations.

Rift

Originally posted by ncryan10

Have you seen the in game footage for mag? Looks horrible, bad graphics and animations.

we shall see, once it's finished.

Originally posted by ncryan10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFEg7W1zGSU&feature=channel

Looks like you might be misinformed afterall.

• ZartanyenZartanyen Member Posts: 72

The 360 you can do netflix streaming on.

PS3 will have DC univeres, and the FF MMO.