Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

it's getting worse and worse

2»

Comments

• HalpotHalpot Member CommonPosts: 204

A quick reminder of our RoC:

Topic Hijacking

Posting comments within a thread which severely disrupts the original conversation is prohibited at MMORPG.com.

Example: Asking whether a game has PvP in a thread about crafting materials found in a new expansion is Topic Hijacking. 

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by Raltar

If you live in another pert of the world you are free to buy the game online and play it, but you gotta understand the server is still here for NA players first. If you can't handle that, wait until the game gets released in your part of the world.

And is that the official stance from Icrus studios or your own opinion?

If yes then please prove it.

Paying for FE in £ proves that Icraus Studios wants my custom, even if i am from the EU, implying that it is as much for the EU players as it is for the NA players..

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Seems the latest patches did some good on the game. I have now only about a 50% risk of crashing when entering a busy city like embry crossroads or oiliville, but most often it works. Blackscreen is fixed, and lag outside the large cities is barable now.

I also followed someones advice and used my graphic cards settings to override the ingame-antialiasing. I made a new screenshot so you can compare the difference with the one where I didn't override the settings. The are both the same resolution and everything. I don't post the screenshots directly because one is farily large.

Old version with ingame antiliasing turned on. Pay attention to the buildings on the left side in the background.

daemmerung.org/images/FE/FEme.jpg

New version. With the ingame antiliasing turned off and the ones of the graphics card set to override. Pay attention to the smooth edges of the buildings in the background.

daemmerung.org/images/FE/sunset.jpg

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

And is that the official stance from Icrus studios or your own opinion?
     If yes then please prove it. 
    Paying for FE in £ proves that Icraus Studios wants my custom, even if i am from the EU, implying that it is as much for the EU players as it is for the NA players..

I didn't mention anything about a "stance" from myself or the developers. I said that the company which made Fallen Earth is based in North America, the only current server for Fallen Earth is located in North America and the only avaiable boxed copies of the game are being sold in North America. Its just sort of obvious which part of the world they are focused on making this game available to at this time.

Now, I'm SURE they want your business and are glad to have it. But if the server is based in North America and the majority of players are playing during the North American prime time, then it just makes logical sense that they would set the server shutdown times on a schedule which doesn't interefere with those players. I'm sorry that puts the server down time within the window of time you play in but you knew when you bought the game the only server was located in North America. You should expect to deal with this kind of issue when you play on a server which is located on the opposite side of the planet from you. (As I've said, you don't see me going over to Korea and complaining to them about what time they work on their MMO servers. )

Obviously you enjoy Fallen Earth and I assume this won't stop you from playing. Hopefully they will eventually open an EU server which will better suit your needs. Until then you might just have to put up with annoying server down time. They shut down the server for an hour this morning when I wanted to play too but you didn't hear me ranting about what currency I paid for the game with.

@Raltar, yes i agree with what you say, (sorry i seemed to have misunderstood you before), i just think that they could find a better solution than to put the downtime just before EU prime time, they need to think a bit more globally imho, as there must be a better time than what they are running with now. 

But if for any reason they can't, then ofc they have to do within their own time(ie NA time) as you point out.

The currency rant was in response to the notion that somehow Icrus Studios considers EU players some kind of 2nd class player, after selling us the game in good faith.

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

When it comes to mmo launches, one thing is a given and that is there will be lag and bugs and crashes. General mass confusion.

Give it a week or so, hopefully their team will work diligently in finding issues and fixing them.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

@Raltar, yes i agree with what you say, (sorry i seemed to have misunderstood you before), i just think that they could find a better solution than to put the downtime just before EU prime time, they need to think a bit more globally imho, as there must be a better time than what they are running with now. 
    But if for any reason they can't, then ofc they have to do within their own time(ie NA time) as you point out.

No matter when they schedule it'll impact somebody's play time. It is unfortunate, but that's the simple fact. For all the reasons that Raltar gave, Icarus is trying to schedule downtimes when it does not impact their largest audience. If they sell 50k boxes in the U.S., and only 5k in the EU, they'll try to cater to the largest group possible.

Personally, I'd love to see F.E. successful enough that the can open EU specific servers, it'd be great if the game were to sell that much. I'm sure the downtimes are frustrating for you, and I feel that pain! I'd also hope that Icarus can come up with an equitable solution that minimized impact for you EU folks as well. That being said, my hunch would be that they are trying to do that already, with the foreknowledge that someone get's impacted.

Yes, I also hope the game will eventually have an EU server. Hopefully it will become successful enough for that to happen.

As has been pointed out, the server down times have to go somewhere and someone is going to have to bite the bullet on this one. I actually am not really playing during the "prime time" hours right now due to all the lag around the over populated towns, so I'm getting caught by the down times as well. So I understand your complaint, its a pain in the butt. But its a no win situation until they either get the server more stable or open more servers.

I've noticed with other MMOs that once the game has been around for awhile the software and servers become more stable and refined. When that happens the game needs less down time and the devs will actually schedule less of it. Right now we have daily down time but someday in the future it might only be weekly as it is with many other MMOs.

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559

EU players as second class citizens? What's that make Australia, the red-headed bastard step children? Icarus is an American company. Dealing with Europe has its own set of issues, especially if you guys remember the whole fiasco Warhammer had with their European distribution.

It was your decision to buy the game and play on an American server. You knew there was only one server and you knew it was in America. Why all of a sudden some of you are bitching about is beyond me. This is a bed of your own making and now you get to lie in it. How is it Icarus'  fault that it's such a pain in the ass to deal with European countries? They're working on it. So you either get to wait, or you play on an American server and all that it entails.

This is like me bitching about Eve having only servers in Iceland where my ping sucks and I should have a server closer to me.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by Somnulus

Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

Originally posted by Aercus

I fixed game crashed in high-pop areas on my computer:
    -Turn graphics aaaalll the way down. Unclick all boxes and put gfx quality on "low".
    -Turn view distances to single digit percentages
    The warping near high-pop is still a problem tho, but I think it might abate as people move on.
    And the first minute after launch the frame rate is about 1 fpm :) Just wait a minute, and it shoots up.

I might do that, cause now I crash to desktop in every 30s in Embry Crossroads.

However, I am not at all happy. I did not buy a 1MB HD4890, a quad CPU and 4GB of DDR3 ram to make any compromise. Some other games squeeze my config hard (playing at Enthusiast DX10 in Crysis), but none of them crashes to the desktop due to this.

Funny thing as well: FPS does not drop, it's steady 25 even in towns at max settings - the only thing that happens 9 out of 10 in the middle of Embry crossroads: client crashes.

Me no likey :(

DB

I wouldn't be happy if I were you either, Donnie. Just a few questions:

Are you getting any FE client error messages when you crash, or is it just a straight crash to the desktop?

Are you getting any unique Windows error messages (beyond "The application has stopped responding")?

Are you running the newest Catalyst driver, with the default 3D settings in the Catalyst Control Center?

Are you running any utilities that control your card fan speed? 

• The ATI HD4800 series chips run really hot; so if you haven't done it already, I would recommend going into the Catalyst Control Center and checking ATI Overdrive.
    • Click the lock button to unlock it, and check  "Enable ATI Overdrive".
    • Ignore (leave alone) the GPU and Memory Clock settings (unless you are an overclock enthusiast, in which case this part of my post is a complete waste of time.
    • Check "Enable Manual Fan Control" and set that sucker for 100%.

Even if that doesn't solve your issues with FE, I am willing to bet that you will still see a marked improvement in your card stability and a slight increase in performance (although many stock fans are really loud at 100%).

I am running an Intel Core 2 Extreme (quad core) 3 ghz and dual HD4870s in Crossfire with 4GB OCZ Reaper PC8500. I normally get about 45 fps in town and anywhere from 76 to 110 fps outside of heavy population areas.

My Crossfire rig might be making a difference, but honestly, I have the ATI Radeon card monitor gadget for Windows Sidebar ( I use Riva Tuner rather than the Catalyst Control Center for fan control) and I rarely see any increase in activity on my second card, so I'm not sure that's even a factor.

Hi,

Thanks for the insight: no, it did not look to be an issue on my 4890... anyway, I played for over 3 hours yesterday, all in Crossroads and around it, and did not have 1 single client crash! Also, missions worked fine, so the devs actually DO have a clue about what they are doing :)

Strangely, the FPS rate has dropped significantly for me in town, where it used to be 25+ all the time, now it goes down to 15, or even 12, causing a visible effect. I'd say, having less FPS, but 100% stability is a fair trade, they will enhance and tweak the engine further in the future anyway. Plus, there won't be 152 people in Crossroads bank at the same time, with horses *everywhere* around the place :D

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

Originally posted by twhint

EU players as second class citizens? What's that make Australia, the red-headed bastard step children? Icarus is an American company. Dealing with Europe has its own set of issues, especially if you guys remember the whole fiasco Warhammer had with their European distribution.
    It was your decision to buy the game and play on an American server. You knew there was only one server and you knew it was in America. Why all of a sudden some of you are bitching about is beyond me. This is a bed of your own making and now you get to lie in it. How is it Icarus'  fault that it's such a pain in the ass to deal with European countries? They're working on it. So you either get to wait, or you play on an American server and all that it entails.
    This is like me bitching about Eve having only servers in Iceland where my ping sucks and I should have a server closer to me.

No one is bitching about anything.

If someone comes on a public forum and says

"......but you gotta understand the server is still here for NA players first"

Then i have to object to it as it is an incorrect statement whichever way you look at it. It implies that the server is for EU players 2nd, meaning that we are some sort of 2nd class player.

Further to that how are we to know that there was an NA server only? It is not written anywhere before purchase is it?

The server is for "no one first", unless explicity stated so by the producers of the game, and even then it would not be right. Unless of course i paided less for the game and the sub. But since we paid the same(in fact i may have paid more than you) then we are entitled to the same level of service depiste where the server is located.

I suggest that you read the whole thread before jumping in with your opinions.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Played for about 7-8 hours yesterday didn't crash once (except for a hang up in the character select screen, I always crash after about 10 min in the char select screen and its always a full blown hard crash) I did get some wierd lag at one opint in town for about 5 minutes, I say weird because tbh its pretty much the first machine lag I've had. Didn't see any warpy players today either.

Oh and still only lvl3 :(

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Then i have to object to it as it is an incorrect statement whichever way you look at it. It implies that the server is for EU players 2nd, meaning that we are some sort of 2nd class player.

Further to that how are we to know that there was an NA server only? It is not written anywhere before purchase is it?

The server is for "no one first", unless explicity stated so by the producers of the game, and even then it would not be right. Unless of course i paided less for the game and the sub. But since we paid the same(in fact i may have paid more than you) then we are entitled to the same level of service depiste where the server is located.

Hm. It's not a question about being for 'anyone' first, but your statement about 'explicitly stated so by the producers' reeks of ignorance. And actually, yes, it was specifically stated in several places that there we not European servers before launch because it was a common question. It has been listed quite clearly in their FAQ for some time now.

Next is the issue of what that 'service' actually is, which is the content delivered,  not the experience that any particular player has. You claim  that you have the right to the same level of service that someone close to the server has, which is correct up to a point. The problem is that a lot of your experience is outside of Icarus' control. You don't like the game? Sorry, but really  tough luck.  Your ISP sucks and you get bad latency? Sorry, but that's not really their problem and is the most common problem with European networks, even though they lead the world in broadband availability. Your computer runs like a dog and crashes a lot? Well, that's where it gets murky, but what it boils down to is that in all likelihood it is your computer that's having the problem.

Software companies test their software on test systems, which are clean installs of the latest OS. The problem with this is that most gamers, (ignorant of software I will add), don't maintain their OS in any way, shape or fashion and this leads to unforeseen difficulties on their part because they might have something that conflicts with the new software they installed on their system, regardless of what it is. Then the  newest developer gets the blame  when it might simply be something some other developer coded poorly that is conflicting with the new software, such as a poorly programmed uninstall program. (The most common problem)

If you are having problems with crashing and such, then get an extra hard drive and install the bare minimum to get FE up and running. If you still crash after that, then you can send the new dxdiag to Icarus and they have something useful to work with, otherwise it's a tossup as to what part of the whole system, software or otherwise, is causing the crash, and the most they can do is tweak the existing code and hope that fixes your problem.

Aw, crap! I thought we settled this? You said you understood what I meant, and I said I was sorry if I had offended you but it didn't change the fact that the server is located in NA and not EU. I thought we put this arguement behind us but here we go again...

The company that made the game is located in America. The server is loacted in America. The only available boxed copies of the game are available in America. You cannot purcahse this game in any part of the EU except as an online download.

When any product is made in any given country the product will be available in that country first before it makes its way to other places. If the product looks like it will be successful in other markets then eventually it will be released in other markets. Thats just a fact of life. It has nothing to do with anyone being "second class" or some kind of contest. Its just the way it works. As I've said before, you don't see me going off to cuss out Korea every time they make an MMO and don't release it in America (their MMOs suck anyway so I wouldn't want them released here but thats a debate for another time) because I understand thats just how the world works.

I mean, seriously, what do you expect us to do about it? Host the freakin server on the moon or something just so everybody is treated equal or what?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Played yesterday for about 6 hours and didn't crash at all, although I did have a memory leak and got stuck for about 5 minutes while I was waiting to get unstuck.  Once I respawned though, game ran fine.  I didn't even have any lag yesterday in zanesville.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Played yesterday for about 6 hours and didn't crash at all, although I did have a memory leak and got stuck for about 5 minutes while I was waiting to get unstuck.  Once I respawned though, game ran fine.  I didn't even have any lag yesterday in zanesville.

Ugh. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about when people don't know a damn thing about their own computers.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Ugh. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about when people don't know a damn thing about their own computers.

And what exactly do I not know about my computer?

Today's update seemed to help a little, atleast in smaller towns. I haven't risked going into any major towns yet. Despite the title of this thread, I think this game is getting BETTER the longer I play it.

Today's update seemed to help a little, atleast in smaller towns. I haven't risked going into any major towns yet. Despite the title of this thread, I think this game is getting BETTER the longer I play it.

Heh. Today was a rollback, not an update.

OMG, did you actually read the thread, i told you to read the whole thread before commenting and you still have failed to do so, hence you are almost arguing blindly.
    Hm. It's not a question about being for 'anyone first', but your statement about 'explicitly stated so by the producers' reeks of ignorance. And actually, yes, it was specifically stated in several places that there we not European servers before launch because it was a common question. It has been listed quite clearly in their FAQ for some time now.
    I was not the one that said it was for "anyone first", in fact that is exactly what i am objecting to.
    You may think that my "explicitly stated" comment is ignorant, but by saying that, you yourself come across as being ignorant, you do know that many producers go to great lengths to stop people buying/playing a game out of a specific region if they want to, in cases like this it is explicity stated.
    And saying that there are no specific Euro servers is distinctly different to saying that the servers are for the US players only.
    Next is the issue of what that 'service' actually is, which is the content delivered,  not the experience that any particular player has. You claim  that you have the right to the same level of service that someone close to the server has, which is correct up to a point. The problem is that a lot of your experience is outside of Icarus' control. You don't like the game? Sorry, but really  tough luck.  Your ISP sucks and you get bad latency? Sorry, but that's not really their problem and is the most common problem with European networks, even though they lead the world in broadband availability. Your computer runs like a dog and crashes a lot? Well, that's where it gets murky, but what it boils down to is that in all likelihood it is your computer that's having the problem.
    Content delivered is what i get for buying the game, which is universally the same as the actualy product(software) is identical.
    Service is what we get for our monthly sub. My "ISP sucks" is not a service provided by Icarus, so why on earth would i expect them to control this. Access to their server is  a service they provide and that is what i mean when i refer to their service.
    Software companies test their software on test systems, which are clean installs of the latest OS. The problem with this is that most gamers, (ignorant of software I will add), don't maintain their OS in any way, shape or fashion and this leads to unforeseen difficulties on their part because they might have something that conflicts with the new software they installed on their system, regardless of what it is. Then the  newest developer gets the blame  when it might simply be something some other developer coded poorly that is conflicting with the new software, such as a poorly programmed uninstall program. (The most common problem)
    If you are having problems with crashing and such, then get an extra hard drive and install the bare minimum to get FE up and running. If you still crash after that, then you can send the new dxdiag to Icarus and they have something useful to work with, otherwise it's a tossup as to what part of the whole system, software or otherwise, is causing the crash, and the most they can do is tweak the existing code and hope that fixes your problem.
    I don't know exactly what you are talking about here as i have no issues with crashing/lag or any other issues that are not common to others on the server.

Seriously mate try and read the whole thread before you make lengthy comments, so that you can address the points correctly if indeed it is necessary, which in my opinion is not in this case. You missed the point in with your first point and again now. Maybe more fool me to actually responded to you when you dont actually take the time to understand waht is being discussed :-(

Aw, crap! I thought we settled this? You said you understood what I meant, and I said I was sorry if I had offended you but it didn't change the fact that the server is located in NA and not EU. I thought we put this arguement behind us but here we go again...

The company that made the game is located in America. The server is loacted in America. The only available boxed copies of the game are available in America. You cannot purcahse this game in any part of the EU except as an online download.

When any product is made in any given country the product will be available in that country first before it makes its way to other places. If the product looks like it will be successful in other markets then eventually it will be released in other markets. Thats just a fact of life. It has nothing to do with anyone being "second class" or some kind of contest. Its just the way it works. As I've said before, you don't see me going off to cuss out Korea every time they make an MMO and don't release it in America (their MMOs suck anyway so I wouldn't want them released here but thats a debate for another time) because I understand thats just how the world works.

I mean, seriously, what do you expect us to do about it? Host the freakin server on the moon or something just so everybody is treated equal or what?

Hey Raltar i am not reneging on anything we said before and i still fully understand and agree with your earlier post.

The only thing i disagreed with was your statement that the server was for "NA players first" if you read my posts with thtat in mind you will understand what i am saying. This may have been a "manner" of speaking by you and may have come across in a different way then you intended.

I think all has been said that needs to be said on this particualr issues(at least by me), all my thoughts are clearly presented in my previous posts without ambiguity.

OMG, did you actually read the thread, i told you to read the whole thread before commenting and you still have failed to do so, hence you are almost arguing blindly.
    Hm. It's not a question about being for 'anyone first', but your statement about 'explicitly stated so by the producers' reeks of ignorance. And actually, yes, it was specifically stated in several places that there we not European servers before launch because it was a common question. It has been listed quite clearly in their FAQ for some time now.
    I was not the one that said it was for "anyone first", in fact that is exactly what i am objecting to.
    You may think that my "explicitly stated" comment is ignorant, but by saying that, you yourself come across as being ignorant, you do know that many producers go to great lengths to stop people buying/playing a game out of a specific region if they want to, in cases like this it is explicity stated.
    And saying that there are no specific Euro servers is distinctly different to saying that the servers are for the US players only.
    Content delivered is what i get for buying the game, which is universally the same as the actualy product(software) is identical.
    Service is what we get for our monthly sub. My "ISP sucks" is not a service provided by Icarus, so why on earth would i expect them to control this. Access to their server is  a service they provide and that is what i mean when i refer to their service.
    I don't know exactly what you are talking about here as i have no issues with crashing/lag or any other issues that are not common to others on the server.

Seriously mate try and read the whole thread before you make lengthy comments, so that you can address the points correctly if indeed it is necessary, which in my opinion is not in this case. You missed the point in with your first point and again now. Maybe more fool me to actually responded to you when you dont actually take the time to understand waht is being discussed :-(

I must be missing something because you are coming off as much of an idiot to me as I must be to you. Regardless, this thread is way off-topic and has gone on long enough.

I must be missing something because you are coming off as much of an idiot to me as I must be to you. Regardless, this thread is way off-topic and has gone on long enough.

Well i guess :

1)if you can't express yourself properly then you have to resort to insults.

2)lose an argument, np resort to insults.

3)can't be bother to read another's post, hey np, just insult them instead.

Grow up dude.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Really don't wish to derail it any further, but I very much remember you calling me an idiot based on 1 or 2 lines on my lenghtier post, whereas if you have read the whole post and comprehended it as well, you would have realized that we're basically saying the same. So far this looks like a pattern. Just my 2 cents... take it easy dude, the game is good, and has a nice chance to be great, and go the EVE way, or more :)

This does not mean that all current issues should not be mentioned at all. I and others had multiple crashes last sunday. We complained. They fixed it. Not a single client crash in the last 3 days :)

Complaining is good. Whining is not.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.