Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two brand new translations (Dengeki Games & Famitsu Connect November)

Zyuu83Zyuu83 Member Posts: 167

We've translated two new articles. Hope you enjoy.

New article translation from Dengeki Games (brand new magazine)

Famitsu Connect November Issue translations, scans, journalist's predictions, action bar explanation

Comments

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Zyuu83

We've translated two new articles. Hope you enjoy.

New article translation from Dengeki Games (brand new magazine)
    Famitsu Connect November Issue translations, scans, journalist's predictions, action bar explanation

From the second article:

"I: Do you think you’ll have to attune yourself to them, like in FFXI?

O: There’s a good possibility. I can imagine a scenario where you’d have to physically make your way to the crystal and receive an item from it before being able to use the warp function [similar to FFXI, where you had to take a crystal shard from teleport waypoint crystals to allow subsequent warpage]."

Yes... PLEASE let that be the case. One thing I loved about FFXI and I hope they carry over to XIV is that virtually everything that benefits your character in some long-term way has to be earned. It's not handed to you. Having to unlock, or "attune" yourself to a crystal before you can use it would be awesome.

Every time I play a MMO where you can warp anywhere right from the start, the world just feels small... It could be 1000 miles away and I wouldn't know because it's a simple 5 second hop through a teleporter to get there. One thing that lends to an MMO's sense of scale is requiring the players to explore and have to find their way to that next town or city or outpost. It makes the journey more exciting, more dangerous, and makes it feel more like a world... not merely a "game". 

Who from FFXI doesn't remember their first time reaching Jeuno? Or winding their way through Tahrongi, LaTheine or Konschtat for the first time to get that first teleport crystal. Those moments create memories because they were new, and challenging and exciting. Think of how much the experience is diminished if all you had to do is step through a teleporter in Bastok, Windy or Sandy and -poof-, you're there. All the potential dangers of getting there on foot completely avoided.

I know there are people out there who will vehemently disagree with that (because they have before) and would rather have access to every possible location in the game right from the start. Those people tend to be more interested in killing and leveling up than in exploring or adventuring... hopefully Guildleves will be able to strike a balance between the two, since you're warped right to the location. Those who are only interested in quick action can do that. Those who want to explore and adventure through vast, unknown areas to find or reach some new place will be able to do that.

So, to me... I hope SE keeps that aspect of FFXI intact. Let people warp away to their heart's content once they've done so, but make aetheryte crystals so they have to be attuned to first.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

WSImike I agree with you, Sadly there is a huge crowd out there that hates that type of stuff, it takes special effort and planning, thats not instant gratification.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244

Agree with the above two replies.

That is the sort of thing that determines whether the game will be a Gong Show or Challenge.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

• I'm personally tired of all the hand-holding in recent MMO releases.  Since when did removing all semblance of challenge make for a better game?  Let the instant-gratification crowd stick with WoW.  I much prefer a game where your accomplishments actually have value.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by Sixpax

I'm personally tired of all the hand-holding in recent MMO releases.  Since when did removing all semblance of challenge make for a better game?  Let the instant-gratification crowd stick with WoW.  I much prefer a game where your accomplishments actually have value.

Agreed

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I agree as well. I DO remember the first time I reached Jeuno and I remember working to get my airship pass. I have all these great memories and accomplishments because I earned them. In fact, unlike most MMOs, the LEAST of my worries was leveling up because there were much more interesting things to work towards and places to explore... sometimes just getting to an area to fight mobs was a challenge in itself.

I hope they keep the challenge up... and I do have faith that they will even if they do make it a bit more accessible.