Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest RPG ever created on any platform?

124»

Comments

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by FreddyNoNose

Originally posted by skarwolf

Why do people like baldur's gate so much ?  I played and it was kind of ho hum...  it didn't really catch my interest. 

Which specific ones did you play and in what years did you play them?  I suspect you didn't play them when they were released.  What other rpg at the time they were released were significantly better?

The original pc version where you start out in that circular city and baldur shows up and you're out in the wilderness or something like that.  I remember going to some Inn and getting into a fight and one of my mage npc's killed everyone with fireball.  I just couldn't get into it.  Not the least of which I recall it being very difficult.  I like to explore and oh look whats that a basilisk... petrified.. game over.

I ended up getting this character editor and made all my characters godlike with the best items and played it through.

• SomnulusSomnulus Member Posts: 354

1. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (sorry to someone earlier in this topic, but Redemption was horrible). Can't beat the appeal of an RPG designed for adults. Great music, great storyline, actual consequences for in-game choices... damn shame Troika went out of business shortly afterward.

Add in the still-active modding community, who have updated the game's textures, added content, new models.. and the replay value of this game just goes through the roof.

2. System Shock (just didn't really care too much for System Shock 2; not sure why).

3. Planescape Torment (great RPG; they really did justice to the AD&D property).

4. Fallout (loved the 50s kitsch!)

5.  Final Fantasy 7 (normally can't stand console RPGs, but the storyline was engaging and well written).

6. The Witcher (can't wait for The Witcher 2, now that the development has been leaked).

Abbatoir / Abbatoir Cinq
    Adnihilo
    Beorn Judge's Edge
    Somnulus
    Perfect Black
    ----------------------
    Asheron's Call / Asheron's Call 2
    Everquest / Everquest 2
    Anarchy Online
    Shadowbane
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Matrix Online
    World of Warcraft
    Guild Wars
    City of Heroes

• BaggunsBagguns Member Posts: 152

Baldur's Gate

Mr. Bagguns

• DiviousDivious Member Posts: 37

Baldur's Gate 2

• havok527havok527 Member Posts: 80

I have to say the first Baldur's Gate, Oblivion IV, and Fable II. Baldur's Gate was my first RPG and it got me hooked on games ever since. Oblivion is my favorite RPG in terms of the modding aspects of the game which add a lot of depth and customization to it. Fable II was the most recent RPG that I played, and I enjoyed it a lot, but not as much as the previous two.

• SoulRebel79SoulRebel79 Member Posts: 1

Pretty much anything by Black Isle/Interplay/Bioware is gold as far as RPGs are concerned.

Planescape: Torment

Fallout 1 & 2

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (Plus expansions) - Yea, my first play through of BG2 was 200+ hours. Talk about getting your money's worth!

Icewind Dale 1 & 2 (Plus expansions)

Neverwinter Nights series

KOTOR

Jade Empire

Mass Effect

Troika released some good but very buggy RPG games.

Temple of Elemental Evil - Best turn-based combat in any RPG, hands down.

Arcanum

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Mass Effect was one of the most entertaining, engrossing, and immersive RPGs I've played recently.

Other's that have been lauded over the years I have found tediously boring.  Morrowind and Oblivion spring to mind, mainly because of one of the worst combat systems ever presented to mankind.

• JothmeinJothmein Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by SoulRebel79

Pretty much anything by Black Isle/Interplay/Bioware is gold as far as RPGs are concerned.
    Planescape: Torment
    Fallout 1 & 2
    Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (Plus expansions) - Yea, my first play through of BG2 was 200+ hours. Talk about getting your money's worth!
    Icewind Dale 1 & 2 (Plus expansions)
    Neverwinter Nights series
    KOTOR
    Jade Empire
    Mass Effect

Troika released some good but very buggy RPG games.
    Temple of Elemental Evil - Best turn-based combat in any RPG, hands down.
    Arcanum
    Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

You just summed it up for me mate.

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

Mass effect

KOTOR

Shining Force 2

Gothic 3

Zelda - A link to the past

These are my favorite ones I think:)

• JothmeinJothmein Member Posts: 64

I havent played Gothic 3 but Gothic 2 was pretty awesome. I am looking forward to Risen though, its made by the same company but I'm fairly certain they're self publishing it, which is a good thing because I have read the Jowood is the reason the games were so buggy.

• ActusActus Member UncommonPosts: 48

Some great mentions here... and much love goes out.  More recents I definitly have to mention Mass Effect, the KOTOR's and Oblivion.  There are many classics I simply missed out on and it's just impossible to go back unless it's down your own memory lane.

For me those would include Star Control 2, Ultima I, IV, VII and Underworld... and of course all bow before Day of the Tentacle!

Aurelion-Ellwaen-Aulric

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

Not in any particular order.

The Wizadry Series*

The King's Quest Series (heck, any of the Quest series that Sierra Online made)

The Ultima Series

* Me and my cousin spent countless hours playing Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant.

We finally ended up having to get the guide to finish it. But damn, it was fun.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• Shooty83Shooty83 Member Posts: 2

Daggerfall:Elder Scrolls 2

Probably about 100x larger than morrowind or oblivion , and way more open ended , plus being able to forever get random quests generated by different guilds was awesome

The one and only

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Dragon Warrior the old Nintendo Version LOL

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

Final Fantasy VI/Chrono Trigger

Having played FFVI right before VII totally screwed up the sequel for me. While the former was impressive, FFVII was just bland, boring and had a terrible story.