Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest RPG ever created on any platform?

Comments

• KirijiKiriji Member Posts: 340
    Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by Bladeinhand

For me,
    1. Baulders Gate 2
    2. Fallout 2
    3. Final Fantasy 7
    4. Morrowind
    5. Final Fantasy Tactics
    6. Breath of Fire 3
    7. Suikoden 2
    8. Bards Tale (old one)
    9. Oblivion
    10. Wizardry 8
    Also Vagrant Story, Ultima 5,persona 3 and 4 all other final fantasys deserve honourable mention

Finally someone said a suikoden game. Thats my favorite series of RPG's. (FF series was my favorite for the longest time, but I am not to much of a fan of the sci-fi settings that they have turned too). I love the fact that all the suikodens are related on a timeline in the same world. (excluding the DS one). I Have been waiting for Suikoden VI for the longest time, since TGS came and went w/o word it looks like I am SOL.

Yeah they are great games I have them all, but 1 and 2 are still the best ones i played i really enjoyed 5 too.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Bladeinhand

Originally posted by Crosius

Originally posted by metalhead980

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

1) (PS1)The legend of the dragon
    2)(PS1) Vagrant Story
    3)(PS1) Breath of fire IV
    3)(PS2) Baldur´s Gate 2: Dark alliance
    4) (PS2) Xenosaga

Vagrant story was so great. I played that through at least 50 times.

1) Final Fantasy Tactics (not those horrible abominations that were on the GBA)

2) Super Metroid

3) Super Mario RPG

4) The rest of the ps1 Final Fantasy Games

Would you put Metroid in the Rpg category? If so I would place Castlevania II and SotN in my list of top 50 Rpgs.

Of course I would. RPG is Role Playing Game. You're a bounty hunter killing metroids. I guess you could call it action adventure but it's such a great game that it can fit any genre =D. Castlevania was an epic game, the ps1 version was the best imo.

Well yeah if Castlevania SOTN is alowed i prob put it in my top 3 that game is the best platformer ever made, better than Mario for me.

I bought the Xbox Live arcade version of SOTN, the game is still freaking awesome.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Dragon Warrior on the original Nintendo Entertainment System.

I loved Knights of the Old Republic also.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• cujo603cujo603 Member UncommonPosts: 103

Torment, first Kotor, Vampire Bloodlines

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

Suikoden 2 is my second favorite game.  Suikoden 1 was pretty good, but the story of 2 was better I thought.

• CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556

To me is the Final Fantasy series without a doubt, I started on iv and liked x the best. Granted, mine may not be the most educated opinion (i had a good run playing RPGs on early console systems, but got derailed by Sid Meyer's Civ series) but really FFX to me was the first time i actually saw a game other than chess that could actually be described as art.

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337
    Originally posted by feena750

I would have to say Xenogears.

^^^ This ^^^

80+ hour story

• nanovipernanoviper Member UncommonPosts: 64

I find it hard to pick any one RPG as a definate "greatest game" however it becomes easier once I break down the games into several categories

Best Story: KOTOR (I'm a starwars whore so this one couldn't be helped)

Biggest Surprise: Final Fantasy 7 (I hate JRPGS, that's why when I played through FF7 I was surprised how well it was put together and how effectively it held my attention)

Best Nostalgic moments: Return to Krondor (This game was soooo well done, and soo much fun that even now I can't believe I bought it for only 10$ This is a game I suggest everyone here buy or torrent, Good vibes)

Blizzard uses WOW to harvest hours played into bottles so that the dev team can remain immortal

• CrosiusCrosius Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by Caleveira

To me is the Final Fantasy series without a doubt, I started on iv and liked x the best. Granted, mine may not be the most educated opinion (i had a good run playing RPGs on early console systems, but got derailed by Sid Meyer's Civ series) but really FFX to me was the first time i actually saw a game other than chess that could actually be described as art.

Ew, just...ew. FFX is a stain to the greatness of the final fantasy series. That being said FFX-2 is even worse. Much worse.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Ew, just...ew. FFX is a stain to the greatness of the final fantasy series. That being said FFX-2 is even worse. Much worse.

But you can't deny FF X-2 has the best battle system SE has done. :P

• Ever-AngelEver-Angel Member Posts: 46

Golden sun 1&2.( how come no one mentions this game)

Baldurs gate 2 and expansion.

Fallout 2. (Fallout 3 is crap compared to the first 2 games)

Icewind dale 2.

KOTOR 1&2.

FF8.

Grandia series.

Planescape torment.

Kingdom harts.

PORTAL!!!! ;)

Valkyrie Profile

lunar series.

Vampire: The Masquerade both games.

Breth of fire

i probably missed a few but these games are all the best to me, tho Deus Ex isnt realy in the RPG category it is the best game ever made as far as im consernd.

P.S. this is only my opinion but oblivion sux :D (mods make it playeble)

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Legend of Dragoon for the PS1

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

You're crazy!!!....FFX is awesome!!!... It's in my top three numbered FF games along with FFVIII and FFVII

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by rozenblade1

You're crazy!!!....FFX is awesome!!!... It's in my top three numbered FF games along with FFVIII and FFVII

I liked FFX but felt the linear map/world was a step back from FF7 (favorite FF game).

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• Draco28Draco28 Member Posts: 14

I like Fallout3 and Oblivion,  as for older games chronotrigger had a ton of  replay cause of the multiple endings, and I totally got into final fantasy 3, the story was great.  I think  one of my first though was legend of zelda that and dragon warrior.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Baldurs gate 1+2

Oblivion

Fallout 3

Kotor 1+2

Neverwinter nights 2

WoW

amazingly enough i have never completed any of those

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• RomuluasRomuluas Member UncommonPosts: 52

Well some great RPG's have been mentioned, Im going to go back to my Sega master system days, and say shining force 2 and Phantasy Star 3. Love the Suikoden series and the FF series, and I still have my copy of Xenogears that I play every now and then.

• EkhnatonEkhnaton Member Posts: 19

Wizardry 7 for sure, best of all...

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

Morrowind.  'nuf said

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176
    Originally posted by Ever-Angel

Golden sun 1&2.( how come no one mentions this game)
    Baldurs gate 2 and expansion.
    Fallout 2. (Fallout 3 is crap compared to the first 2 games)
    Icewind dale 2.
    KOTOR 1&2.
    FF8.
    Grandia series.
    Planescape torment.
    Kingdom harts.
    PORTAL!!!! ;)
    Valkyrie Profile
    lunar series.
    Vampire: The Masquerade both games.
    Breth of fire
    i probably missed a few but these games are all the best to me, tho Deus Ex isnt realy in the RPG category it is the best game ever made as far as im consernd.
    P.S. this is only my opinion but oblivion sux :D (mods make it playeble)

Yeah, what you said. I forgot about Golden Sun all together.

The only thing i don't agree with is about Fallout 3 which I think is comparible to the previous Fallout games. Just my opinion though.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Pretty much every rpg mentioned in this thread lol. If I had to choose though it would be one of the many Final Fantasy games.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

Why do people like baldur's gate so much ?  I played and it was kind of ho hum...  it didn't really catch my interest. 

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by skarwolf

Why do people like baldur's gate so much ?  I played and it was kind of ho hum...  it didn't really catch my interest. 

Which specific ones did you play and in what years did you play them?  I suspect you didn't play them when they were released.  What other rpg at the time they were released were significantly better?

• RadioMaryjaRadioMaryja Member UncommonPosts: 123

Baldurs Gate

Fallout

KOTOR

nothing more, nothing less.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

My favorite RPGs of all time:

• KOTOR
    • Chrono Trigger
    • Oblivion
    • Secret of Mana
    • Morrowind
    • Fallout 3
    • Mass Effect
    • Final Fantasy VI (or III US)
    • Final Fantasy VII
    • Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I had a hard time sorting them in order of most favorite...  but I guess I would have to say KOTOR was the best for me. I have played it probably 20 times through at this point.