Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Headaches

I know this isn't a medical site.  But I thought maybe someone here has had this problem too and found an answer.

I get a headache every day.  I've tried so many different things.  I even went out and bought an $800 office chair because I thought it might be from sitting in that other crappy one I had.  I've gone to the neurologist but all they gave me was this shit called Depakote that made me feel like I was one of the walking dead.

I was taking Excederin for a while because it worked (up to a point).  Then I read that I might be causing the headaches from taking that so often.  Plus the aspirin in the Excederin was starting to make my stomach hurt.  So I quit that about a year ago.  Now I don't take anything, just put a cold pack on my forehead and hope it works this time.

I was thinking about going for a massage somewhere, but I don't know.  The thought of that sort of creeps me out for some reason. 

Anyone else had any success who has gone through this?

===============================

Comments

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I used to get headaches fairly often(not as often as you) but I haven't had a single one since early July when I started on Blood Pressure Medication. I also cut back on sodium at the same time(basically no fast food). So could be the blood pressure or could be sodium/high fat foods.

Either that, or if you wear glasses you might want to change them. If you don't wear glasses you might want to start.

Oh, and you might consider your bed or pillow as well.

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920
    Originally posted by Laserwolf

I used to get headaches fairly often(not as often as you) but I haven't had a single one since early July when I started on Blood Pressure Medication. I also cut back on sodium at the same time(basically no fast food). So could be the blood pressure or could be sodium/high fat foods.
    Either that, or if you wear glasses you might want to change them. If you don't wear glasses you might want to start.

Oh, and you might consider your bed or pillow as well.

Someone else said something about my pillow as well the other day.  I'm going to check into that.  I use a feather pillow.  Soooo soft.  hahah.  But if it's causing it, and switching will make these headaches go away, I'll sleep on a stone tablet to get better.  At least with the stone tablet the drool will just run off on the floor. 

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

You'll want to get a hammer and chisel and cut some channels into that stone tablet to get proper drainage otherwise you might get a pooling effect.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• blakkblakk Member Posts: 33

Stop using a computer for a week ,or at least gaming if you haven't tried. I would try the break over medics...medics are bad and burn cells(I think).

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

when is the last time you had your eyes checked?  Poor vision leads to bad headaches.

also, do you drink much?  workout?  If either or both of these is true you should be drinking a lot of water throughout the day.  Dehydration also leads to bad headaches.  Just pound water when your having a bad headache and see if it helps.  But dont discount poor vision, its a likely culprit.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by gnomexxx

I know this isn't a medical site.  But I thought maybe someone here has had this problem too and found an answer.
    I get a headache every day.  I've tried so many different things.  I even went out and bought an $800 office chair because I thought it might be from sitting in that other crappy one I had.  I've gone to the neurologist but all they gave me was this shit called Depakote that made me feel like I was one of the walking dead.
    I was taking Excederin for a while because it worked (up to a point).  Then I read that I might be causing the headaches from taking that so often.  Plus the aspirin in the Excederin was starting to make my stomach hurt.  So I quit that about a year ago.  Now I don't take anything, just put a cold pack on my forehead and hope it works this time.
    I was thinking about going for a massage somewhere, but I don't know.  The thought of that sort of creeps me out for some reason. 

Since it is impossible to diagnose without actually seeing you, and running tests, I think you should visit your doctor as soon as possible, and make sure you tell them all symptoms you have been having.

Though most headaches are not serious, it could be something much more serious , and you should be checked out to be sure.

You need to make sure you do not have a serious underlying condition that could be causing it. If your current doctor isn't helping you find the problem, you might want to get a  second opinion.

Originally posted by deviliscious

Since it is impossible to diagnose without actually seeing you, and running tests, I think you should visit your doctor as soon as possible, and make sure you tell them all symptoms you have been having.

Though most headaches are not serious, it could be something much more serious , and you should be checked out to be sure.

You need to make sure you do not have a serious underlying condition that could be causing it. If your current doctor isn't helping you find the problem, you might want to get a  second opinion.

I went to a neurologist.  He had an MRI done on me and said everything looked okay there.  Then he put me on this medicine called Depakote.  I took it for about 2 weeks.  Then I couldn't stand it any longer.  And it really wasn't helping the headaches too much.  Just made me extremely groggy and tired.  Like my brain was running on half its cylinders.  Not good for someone in my business (I work with explosives, hehe).

Maybe I should go back to my general doc again and see what he says.  I don't know if I want to go back to the neurologist again.  It was pretty expensive.  My insurance covers 80%, but that 20% adds up pretty quick.  But at the my general doc it covers 100%.

Originally posted by Illius

You'll want to get a hammer and chisel and cut some channels into that stone tablet to get proper drainage otherwise you might get a pooling effect.

LOL!

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Originally posted by deviliscious

I went to a neurologist.  He had an MRI done on me and said everything looked okay there.  Then he put me on this medicine called Depakote.  I took it for about 2 weeks.  Then I couldn't stand it any longer.  And it really wasn't helping the headaches too much.  Just made me extremely groggy and tired.  Like my brain was running on half its cylinders.  Not good for someone in my business (I work with explosives, hehe).

Maybe I should go back to my general doc again and see what he says.  I don't know if I want to go back to the neurologist again.  It was pretty expensive.  My insurance covers 80%, but that 20% adds up pretty quick.  But at the my general doc it covers 100%.

yea, those CO-pays and specialization fees are terrible, and I hope one day IADMD accomplishes it's goal to do away with them both.

But yes, you should go back to your doctor, and try to get to the underlying reason. They only ruled out a neurological problem, but there could be other health factors that are causing it, and the doctor may be able to offer some relief.

Honestly, people are not machines, we don;t just get hooked up to a diagnostic device and it solves all the problems. It is an educated guessing game, and trial and error to narrow down the problem to the actual cause.

They may be able to offer you some alternative to  your current OTC medication to provide better relief. If you are having any other problems such as sleeping issues, snoring, any other pain, restlessness, anxiety ect .. be sure to report them  to the doc as well.

They may want to run additional tests to test bloodpressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, oxygen in your blood, breathing, and heart tests just to be sure they aren't missing something. The thing is, you can have all the tests run in the world and not always find the cause, but with the tests you can usually narrow it down.