Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Origin of your character name ?

skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

Everquest - Igjarjuk Skullhammer -  Wanted a trollish sounding name and thought igjarjuk was great.  It was the name of the wyrm they fight at the end of thebook called The Dragonbone Chair  by Tad Williams (I think not 100%)   Later on in EQ I'd have igjarjuks name changed to Hideo.  I was unaware it was a fairly common japanese name, I was influenced by the book Neuromancer by William Gibson in which a ninja named Hideo shows up and kicks ass.  People assumed I was japanese all the time afterwards.

While in EQ I made a barbarian shaman twink.  He had a scar on his face, and with the wolf pet I felt scarwolf would've been good.  Unfortunately scarwolf was taken so I had to use skarwolf.

I'd use the name Igjarjuk & skarwolf in DAOC, & SWG.  

In WOW my first character;

Hellion - Undead Rogue just made the name up & lived up to it :P

Bahut -  Orc Shaman, took the name from an old EQ friend he was an awesome dorf warrior

Kwizatz - Orc Hunter, name originates in the book Dune by Frank Herbert

Djinni - Tauren Hunter, just made that one up

EQ2 -  dark elf warlock Kwizatz D'Haderach, once again from Dune.

Comments

• nubsnubs Member Posts: 59

My first MMORPG was Ultima online. At that time I was really into Ancient Egyptian religion. My favorite god was Anubis. So naturally my first character was named Anubis. I made many many friends and they began to call me nub for short and eventually they either called me Nub, Nubs, or Nubby. I never went back to Anubis. I think the best names are the ones people give you.

• chesiremorphchesiremorph Member Posts: 128

My primary charicter has had the same name throughout all of my ventures, EQ, EQ2, WOW, Vanguard, War, and now AION .... The name is "Calell". 

I did have a secondary enchanter in EQ named  "Cool Breeze"  ... the mana regen chain that they had started with a spell called breeze, so it was unique.

BoB

• TisiphoneTisiphone Member Posts: 486

Cool thread. And Hideo is my favorite Neuromancer character!

Tisiphone is one of the furies in Greek mythology. I was trying to find an open character name when I started FFXI and was paging through one of my mythology books. It stuck so bad that I've had to add it to email and screennames, just so people know who I am.

I've also used Nemhain (a Celtic warrior goddess), Erinnys (the Greek word for 'fury'), Celaeno (a harpy), and Maladict (a Terry Pratchett character who is, of all things, a female vampire who dresses up as a boy and joins the army).

• RealmLordsRealmLords Member Posts: 358

Sremalon  spelled in reverse: No Lamers

www.ActionMMORPG.com
    One man, a small pile of money, and the screwball idea of a DIY Indie MMORPG? Yep, that's him. ~sigh~

• CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556

The name i most commonly use is Calavera or variations thereof, which is spanish for skull and i usually reserve for my main. I used to like spanish names like Cuervo (Crow) or Lobo (Wolf) but they've become too popular, so i've taken the name Xipe Totec for alts; Major Aztec deity, a sort of dark Phoenix in human form and reborn of blood. For female chars i use Cihuateteo, the name for an Aztec banshee.

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I usually use Sindarin or Quenya for fantasy-based MMO toons. For sci-fi ones, I just make something up that sounds cool.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Ever since names could be entered on rpgs I've used the name Lang, the first 4 letters of my last name and at the time space was limited to only names 4 letters long. When I started playing 16-bit rpgs and UO I started using Nomar (which is my middle name spelled backwards, Ramon. People assumed for the longest that I was a Red Sox fan.

When my wife started playing WoW we took the names Rhomeo and Juliett (I know corny) and I started making alts left and right. Tyberious was my warrior, which also happened to be a nod to the trekkie in me. And soon after I started using the name Velsador for all my spellcrafting toons. So now I follow a certain code when creating new characters:

If I created a old looking character I will name him Lang in honor of my old school rpg roots.

For a mage it's Velsador

For a holy melee/caster it's Nomar

For a warrior it's Tyberious

For a rogue-type it's Rhomeo

That's my stable of names I use from game to game.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Default101Default101 Member UncommonPosts: 55

My first MMO name was Nilaithion. I just got it from a fantasy name generator. That got shortened to Nil for obvious reasons, and this is pretty much what I have stuck with.

If Nil is taken, I will go with some other random name starting with "nil" (NillaWafers).

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I often use places of big scientific meaning. A place with lots of fossiles or a meteor crater or something sililar.

• JhazvhugJhazvhug Member Posts: 37

For a long, long time I have always used latin, or gods in various ancient religions... But mostly latin. For example, I sometimes use

Veneficus - Sorcerer, Mage, Caster of Spells.

Maleficus - Evil-doer

Addonexus - Bringer of Death

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Often go by the handle Farticus....In homage to the rebel hero except with a bowl problem. Or Twospoon becouse everybody likes spooning....I like to spoon and if im very lucky, to fork. ..........hmmmmm.....i'm a 30 year old boy:(

• RothnirRothnir Member Posts: 41

Usual name is meth, which is the shortened form of method man. If that is forbidden, like in WoW, then I take Rothnir. Roth from the family name, Ni from my first name, the r to make it sounds better.

In WoW I did a lot with the -nir extension, e.g. Hoofnir (Shaman), Droodnir (Druid), Folnir (Paladin).

• BreaghaBreagha Member Posts: 131

I'm mostly Breagha, these days.

Bree'ah was my first real RP character, a twi'lek in SWG (I'm a late bloomer, didn't RP until I found SWG five years ago), and I had a lot of fun with her. The name got sorta stuck, but given that most places don't allow the apostrophy, and given that Bree is a very common name, I switched to Breagha. Pronounced in the same way (bree-ah), even though the spelling seems to imply your tongue has to curl into knots to pronounce it ^^

"So I contend that the player stories will always be more powerful than the scripted stories that we try to tell the players."

- Will Wright

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Loktofeit - a spell from Wizardry, a fantasy CRPG.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • lazyBilllazyBill Member Posts: 42

every since Everquest, there was an underwater zone in the lakes of ill omen called Veksar, and every since then ive used the name in every game that i have played, and here recently, i have become a lil lazy and my name is bill so im known as lazybill in some games to

Played:
    Lineage 2, World of Warcraft, Everquest 1, and 2 , Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo 2, Saga of Ryzom, Warhammer Online, Dark Ages of Camelot...etc

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    Originally posted by Bree'ah

I'm mostly Breagha, these days.
    Bree'ah was my first real RP character, a twi'lek in SWG (I'm a late bloomer, didn't RP until I found SWG five years ago), and I had a lot of fun with her. The name got sorta stuck, but given that most places don't allow the apostrophy, and given that Bree is a very common name, I switched to Breagha. Pronounced in the same way (bree-ah), even though the spelling seems to imply your tongue has to curl into knots to pronounce it ^^

Mos Entha RP were the best : )

• feacfeac Member UncommonPosts: 127

feac  random name from daoc name generator :P

and i use Lo a lot as people logging in and saying "lo" is a pet peeve for me after a while they get fed up of me saying "yes" so they tend to change to hello or hi :) when they log in hehe

• moonlight21moonlight21 Member Posts: 67

Cero - used it in lot of games - derived from my name and my x girl friend. 

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Mr. Twiggy. At the time, I wanted to have a short but respectable title and in today's standards that's Mr. (or Mrs.) and then to totally take the seriousness away I decided I'd use a silly word to go after it, Twiggy is what I came up with.

Generally if that name is taken or doesn't allow for it, I have like over 9000 variations of Twiggy in games.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• moonlight21moonlight21 Member Posts: 67

nice name mr twiggy xD.

• HexcaliberHexcaliber Member UncommonPosts: 171

HexCaliber was born years ago when playing as a spellsword in a BBS Mud using an old acoustic coupler. It is obviously a play on words, Hex as in placing a curse, caliber speaks for its self, and combined, sounding not unlike a sword from English Mythology.

It is really annoying that more and more frequently I see others using the name and having used it for more than 20 years and almost certainly being the original, it's a character name I have become attached to.

My Colour Is Vomit green, I puke on the tards with stupid colour sigs. My symbol is ,,!, O ,!,, My enemies are any prat with a colour sig, a meaningless personality test, or a pointless list of games and classes.

Regards Hexcaliber

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Zag is my default online name. I had that name since my first time on a Doom 2 lan.

Later on, I met a guy called Zgzz and together we began to compete on RTCW leagues and such. So we eventually became known as Zig & Zag. We actually became quite famous among the communities of Battlefield, Quake 3, RTCW and such for our over the top teamwork. We are currently playing Battlefield Heroes as Winbomb and TheZaggy.

I'll mix Zag with a surname if it's needed… Hazumason, Stratos, Stormchild and such.

If Zag is taken, I usually go with Æmyh and that doesn’t mean anything special, it was just made by me.

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

When EQ came out I found Theutus listed on a site describing Demons and demi-gods.

Theutus is described by the Renaissance magician Cornelius Agrippa as one of the order of demons known as the Vessels of Iniquity, also called the Vessels of Wrath: "these are the inventors of evil things and of all wicked arts, as in Plato, that devil Theutus" (Occult Philosophy, Book 3, Chapter 18). Agrippa's reference is to Plato's dialogue Phaedrus where the Egyptian god of magic and learning, Thoth, is described: "The story is that in the region of Naucratis in Egypt there dwelt one of the old gods of the country, the god to whom the bird called Ibis is sacred, his own name being Theuth. He it was that invented number and calculation, geometry and astronomy, not to speak of draughts and dice, and above all writing."

Theutus is a degenerate version of the great Egyptian god Thoth. Since Thoth was credited with teaching humanity numbers and their manipulation, he is naturally the god of gambling, which requires the use of numbers. Gaming for money with dice or cards was looked upon as an evil practice during the Middle Ages and Renaissance by the majority of the European population.

If we accept Agrippa's statement that Theutus is one of those demons who taught mankind "all wicked arts" he would seem to be one of the fallen angels, since in the Book of Enoch it is the fallen Watchers who instruct men in the arts and sciences of warfare, black magic, and adornment. Agrippa placed the Vessels of Iniquity in Binah, the third Sephirah on the Tree of the Kabbalah.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I always figure them out.

I design the character and once it's finished I usually ask to myself, but as if I were speaking with someone: Whats your name?. And the name usually comes up.

• UshibaruUshibaru Member Posts: 65

hi..

My first ol game is Luminary online and i'm using Ayakee..

aya came from the anime i've watched when i was still young..

and kee is short for misakii another anime character name.. ^^