Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO to play while waiting for FFXIV?

I first played FFXI when it launched in NA on the PS2. I quit because of the waits for parties and the 'slow' gameplay. I kept coming back to the game but it never interested me. Then they added a bunch of great features such as level-sync and fields of valor and it made it the best MMORPG...ever...for now. I played for a few months and I realized I needed a few things that FFXI lacked. PvP, which is hard to come by in FFXI, and the whole skill system. FFXIV is bringing this skill system and not just sticking to 'level x job to max, then level x job to max'. So I'm wondering, what do I do while I wait for FFXIV, and what are you doing? I'm not playing FFXIV at the moment and I'm thinking about playing some of the 'different' MMOs out right now, to hold me over. Fallen Earth and Darkfall have caught my interest, what are you guys playing until the FFXIV 2010 release date?

Comments

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

IMO not one of the new MMO's are even worth playing. Its best to just stick with single player console games atm. Thats what these new MMO's are set up as anyways.  We got Demons soul (ps3 exclusive), Dragon age origins, (all platforms), White knight chronicals (Ps3 Exclusive), and If your into FPS COD4 modern warefare II.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• octoconoctocon Member Posts: 44

What makes you think XIV is worth waiting for?

• Andyny91Andyny91 Member Posts: 18

Yeah, I've tried so many and none have...'immersed' me I guess is the word. I'm really looking forward to Dragon Age Origins and MW 2, something to pass the time while I wait for beta.

Originally posted by octocon

Because it's from the makers of FFXI. They're taking an already great game and improving on it. They're improving the solo aspect and adding a skill based system, and streamlining quests more, how can you not be excited for this game?

• smellysockssmellysocks Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Andyny91

Because it's from the makers of FFXI. They're taking an already great game and improving on it. They're improving the solo aspect and adding a skill based system, and streamlining quests more, how can you not be excited for this game?

Perhaps not everyone is a FF fan ? :)

Because SE has already made one of the most successful MMO's of the genre, that gives them strong credability. Of course if a person didnt like the style of their first MMO then its very possible XIV is not worth waiting for from their perspective. There is a large following that loved it so thats what makes a lot of people think that its worth waiting for.

Originally posted by smellysocks

Perhaps not everyone is a FF fan ? :)

Well they should be. :P Lol, jk. To each his own.

• RocklynnRocklynn Member UncommonPosts: 104

aion

www.rocklynn.se

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

aion 

if you can get time card for it in your city or a prepaid credit card is even better 

if you can.

lot of player have a very hard time getting those freaking time card

not surprising lol all server are on high ,will get 1 server today so we should be good for week.(cross your finger

how come this game is so freaking popular 

it will stay big a long time from the coment i saw on server 

• wartywarty Member Posts: 461

Darkfall.

Wanted a game that isnt eq/wow like for a change so that FF is nice and fresh when it finally comes about. Its really rather good but I dont want to incite the mmorpgtrollbots so I'll leave it at that

Playing polished, lag free, feature complete games is carebear. Whining about a game you hate but still play is hardcore man!

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I wouldn t suggest Aion because well I thought it was boring. That is my opinion of course. While I m waiting for FFXIV, I ve gone back to some rpg s and FPS. I m really looking forward to Operation Flashpoint 2. I can wait, no need to spend upfront cash then 15 a month for a game I ll drop as soon as FFXIV comes out.

• todayisbluetodayisblue Member Posts: 60

i'm playing mindless f2p grinders while waiting. i'm busy with school right now so they're useful to just  space out to and relax for a few minutes. i've been playing dragonica lately. it plays like a hack 'n' slash game so it's pretty fun in short mindless bursts. i didn't really like aion when i beta tested it, but it is a solid game at least if you have cash to drop on something. from what i've been hearing about the servers, good luck with that though. darkfall has caught my interest for a pretty long time. if i had more time and some extra money i would definitely be playing that right now. i'm a bit of a masochist so the warnings of constant ganking almost sound fun to me. lol that aside, the game sounds pretty original and awesome. 

another thing i've been doing is playing through the FF series chronologically. i downloaded a gba emulator and played through the remakes of FF1 and FF2. i'm playing the NES version of FF3 right now and it's pretty fun. the old ones are pretty short, with a walkthrough you can easily beat them in about 10 hours. that's what... one day of saturday mmo style grinding? easy shit :)

• CDCostaCDCosta Member Posts: 90

I first played FFXI when it launched in NA on the PS2. I quit because of the waits for parties and the 'slow' gameplay. I kept coming back to the game but it never interested me. Then they added a bunch of great features such as level-sync and fields of valor and it made it the best MMORPG...ever...for now. I played for a few months and I realized I needed a few things that FFXI lacked. PvP, which is hard to come by in FFXI, and the whole skill system. FFXIV is bringing this skill system and not just sticking to 'level x job to max, then level x job to max'. So I'm wondering, what do I do while I wait for FFXIV, and what are you doing? I'm not playing FFXIV at the moment and I'm thinking about playing some of the 'different' MMOs out right now, to hold me over. Fallen Earth and Darkfall have caught my interest, what are you guys playing until the FFXIV 2010 release date?

Those are all oposite reasons we liked it.

And you can bet, it might be a tad easier, but it will most likely still be a time sink that's Group based.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by CDCosta

Those are all the reasons most of us Liked it.
    And you can bet, it might be a tad easier, but it will most likely still be a time sink that's Group based.

That's what I'm hoping (except the time sinks could come in little smaller segments, I don't have that much time per day anymore!) :D

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Blackwell99Blackwell99 Member Posts: 352

OP I noticed you are in NA,

You might want to read about "Fallen Earth," (if you haven't already).

I, personally won't pay 59 bucks for any MMO just because there will be price drops, and I perfer to wait for them to add content, but more importantly...patches.

But if you don't mind buying MMOs out-of-the-gate....FE maybe able to offer something different to tide you over.

Considering how much new games are "hated on," I must say that people aren't really hating on FE compared to other games. I find this true with the few posters on these forums who have high cred with me (all 3 of them-lol)

If I was to buy a recently released MMO based on what people are saying---I would definitely consider Fallen Earth. But it's much different than FF---so keep that in mind because it may not be your thing.

Otherwise Aion is probably a good choice.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

From what I can tell you should give Atlantica a try.

It has pretty strong pvp features, alot of them infact. Has very similar gameplay to what any FF game offers. Once clicking on a mob it enters you into a turn-based battle scenerio. Each character controls up to 9 characters in battle, each with their own attack/magic abilities to learn and upgrade.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Yeah I've decided to play Aion till FFXIV and GW2... I don't know how long I'll stay with it though.. it's good, but not as great as I first thought/hoped.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by InjaSam

aion

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
  • smellysockssmellysocks Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

Originally posted by InjaSam

aion

• AlbosAlbos Member Posts: 132

Well I thought aion would be the game to play till 14 is out but I can't stand the game and the queue (1 week and still getting 50min) I bought limited collectors edition $70 and if you want it I will sell it to you for half price $35, I cursed myself for buying it so many times. Problems the game has: very very small world, PVP is a must and you're a ffxi so you're like me PVE, people talk shit on /1 general all day long so I'm guessing no one likes the game they are online to talk shit only and to say all mmos suck and aion ftw, specially they say wow sucks and aion is a wow copy to the bone and structure but smaller and f2p looking attacks.

• Originally posted by todayisblue

i'm playing mindless f2p grinders while waiting. i'm busy with school right now so they're useful to just  space out to and relax for a few minutes. i've been playing dragonica lately. it plays like a hack 'n' slash game so it's pretty fun in short mindless bursts. i didn't really like aion when i beta tested it, but it is a solid game at least if you have cash to drop on something. from what i've been hearing about the servers, good luck with that though. darkfall has caught my interest for a pretty long time. if i had more time and some extra money i would definitely be playing that right now. i'm a bit of a masochist so the warnings of constant ganking almost sound fun to me. lol that aside, the game sounds pretty original and awesome. 
    another thing i've been doing is playing through the FF series chronologically. i downloaded a gba emulator and played through the remakes of FF1 and FF2. i'm playing the NES version of FF3 right now and it's pretty fun. the old ones are pretty short, with a walkthrough you can easily beat them in about 10 hours. that's what... one day of saturday mmo style grinding? easy shit :)

I'm doing the same (playing F2P games) until FFXIV is released.  Currently playing Runes of Magic and it's not bad for the price (snicker).  Has some elements of FFXI (like dual classes and instanced housing).  There's a FFA PvP server if you're into that kind of gameplay.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Well, I'm playing Aion ATM. Good game, but needs something more-not sure if FF X!V will deliver that, but, I do like the idea of gaining exp. and advancement with using stuff/crafting rather than linear advancement with levels as Aion does.

• shokeroshokero Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by toddze

IMO not one of the new MMO's are even worth playing. Its best to just stick with single player console games atm. Thats what these new MMO's are set up as anyways.  We got Demons soul (ps3 exclusive), Dragon age origins, (all platforms), White knight chronicals (Ps3 Exclusive), and If your into FPS COD4 modern warefare II.

someone is a ps3 fanboy

Cast In The Name Of God, Ye Not Guilty

Originally posted by shokero

Originally posted by toddze

someone is a ps3 fanboy

I am a PS3 fanboy however I am a bigger game fanboy.

I also own a 360. Nothing good is coming to 360 in terms of RPG's or I would have no problem playing it. If it makes you feel better I am currently playing Infinate undiscovery which is made by SE and a 360 exclusive. And Lost odyssey is the best RPG on the next gen consoles (IMO), and its also a 360 exclusive.