Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Thoughts So Far

DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151

This isn't meant as a review, just my thoughts and hopefully some further insight will be given from fellow players.

The game feels like it combines a lot of elements of previous games, both good and bad.

Yes SWG comes to mind and I played it off and on from launch. It has the skill base feel from SWG launch with the added levels of the CU. It also has the over the shoulder click to attack feel of the NGE. It even offers the options of a class type build of the NGE, but it isn't forced, thank god. I haven't gained enough skill/level to really get out and explore higher tier content, but what I have seen seems like a seemless world. Of course so did SWG at first until you had to load to another planet. It didn't feel like loading to another zone in SWG though, since it was supposedly space travel, plus the Jump to Light Speed expansion made it a better immersive. I feel SWG had a little more polish with the UI than FE has. I liked adding the skills I were training off to the side of my screen and watched them as I progressed using my pistol.

The game also feels very counterstrike to me in first person with my rifle. Never got into counterstrike, I always preferred more realism like America's army (hate respawns in a shooter other than halo and planetside).

The mining, skinning, etc feels like WoW so far, and the crafting doesn't feel much different early on either. Get items, click create. The unique feature is a timer, and the fact that so far I can craft anything I want (which i like). I hated only being a skinner and leather worker with my hunter, I also wanted to craft my weapons and jewelry.

The one thing that SWG and WoW got right that this game and many others are missing, is a pet class. I know people complain that, oh they have pistols and a pet, not fair. But we had to sacrifice in SWG to get those pets. You could only train so many skills. I wasnt a maxxed Creature Handler, nor was I maxxed with Pistols. In PVP, I lost as often as I won (if not more, Im not afraid to admit it). My wife might actually play this game with me if they added tameable pets.

I like the setting and the weapons (love guns and knives etc, nice change from fantasy). I like the graphics (finally a game without the crazy shine that other games have, i hate shine). I like the animations (although jump looks silly lol).

I'm actually reading all the quests (something I never do in WoW).

I think with time, some updates, and some customization, this game will be a great change of pace for many.

But it still isnt an SWG replacement for me, i dont know if anything ever will be. Had they launched SWG without it being star wars, and by an indy company, i think it would be the perfect combo of EVE and WoW.

Comments

• KcissemDKcissemD Member Posts: 64

Hasn't it been long enough since the SWG fiasco that people let it go?  I know SWG is like someones first love, you never forget about it or in the latter case her, but eventually it/her does get replaced but will never be the same

• DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by KcissemD

Hasn't it been long enough since the SWG fiasco that people let it go?  I know SWG is like someones first love, you never forget about it or in the latter case her, but eventually it/her does get replaced but will never be the same

I have let it go or I wouldn't be trying other games, and would find my self in the emu. I compared it to other games in the market also. I don't hear  people saying can you let WoW go, or EVE go, etc.

For many this games reminds them somewhat of SWG, so people are going to compare.

• SylianSylian Member UncommonPosts: 65

Originally posted by KcissemD

We can't let it go because still there is no MMO like SWG.

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

When someone uses SWG as a comparison I just cancel that opinion.  

SWG was, is horrible.  

I could go into detail about all the issues but I don't really feel like it.  I posted a review on gamespot.  Played from release and returned once in awhile.  The game has changed so many times from the inception its ridiculous.  I left behind a CL90 jedi.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by skarwolf

When someone uses SWG as a comparison I just cancel that opinion.  
    SWG was, is horrible.  
    I could go into detail about all the issues but I don't really feel like it.  I posted a review on gamespot.  Played from release and returned once in awhile.  The game has changed so many times from the inception its ridiculous.  I left behind a CL90 jedi.

SWG WAS a great game.

SWG IS a horrible game.

SWG HOLDS the record for the largest player exodus in MMO History. 200,000+ Accounts in 4 months after NGE + the 50,000 they lost a few months before that in CU.

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

You do know they had mutiple combat revamps or whatever they call it.  They lost me after the first one.  Back when I played daily nobody wore armor, there were no FOTM classes, no pvp reduction in dmg.  What few quests existed offered no rewards or were broke.  The game pathing was so bad you could stand and shoot a red con monster without being touched and level a profession in one day.

Along came the combat revamp which tried to fix certain professions like creature handler and bio-engineer.  At the time I was a hybrid bounty hunter (for eye shot and carbine knockdown) and pistoleer with enough in creature handler to have a large cat pet.  I pvp'd daily and killed everyone I came across.  It wasn't until after their stupid combat revamps that everyone was either a combat medic or rifleman / combat medic which equated to winning at pvp.

Jedis were a joke.  They go on about how jedis were in the game from day one.  The so called holocron bull....  I exp'd in the places the holocrons dropped and they never dropped and I was in there long before any mentioning of jedis.  Having to grind professions to find the hidden one that unlocked jedi.  Then Jedi is made a starting class.  I laugh because when I played briefly all my friends were actively grinding all the professions and then a year later hey I can start a jedi.  It even allowed me to log in my old character and transferred all the exp I had from previously and put it all into jedi.  After a year of not playing I come back as a level 80 jedi and a week later I'm 90...

• blakavarblakavar Member Posts: 304

FE feels a lot like swg at launch so comparisons are inevitable. Well from what I remember fe is a lil more smooth then swg launch was, but even the rubberbanding is there.

Agreed Delusive, I wish they would inplement a pet skill. Doesnt half to be uber, but a dog would be nice and more interactivety with our horses. Though some folks out there treat thier horses like a pet.

Maybe later, the devs listen to the community so I imagine it'll show up in some form down the road.