Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wanna try but..

DeadlyByDezDeadlyByDez Member Posts: 152

Have been dying to give this puppy a go and as of now I am looking at the trial acct dling. I have a few reservations though that have stopped me dead in my tracks from playing in the past.

(1) Do I have to mission grind? I really want to get away from that. My idea of eve is that yes I can do anything I want from the get go (within reason)

(2)  the oldie.. Is it too late for me to start?

(3) I am a big role player, does much of that go on?

(4 ) I would like to be a pirate. Can I start out in eve with that idea from the beginning? When would one advise to start pryin 0 sec space?

(5) Techie one this is. The last time I trialled eve, it did not seem to get on well with my ATI4870 HD card? Is there a reason does anyone know? Just hept scrambling my screen

Comments

• MacScarfeMacScarfe Member Posts: 100

1) No mission grind unless you want to.

2) Never too late

3) Yes it happens, check the boards carefully and you'll find people and corps set up for that and THEN create your toon, not the other way around i would suggest.

4) EDIT: (oops should read the post before replying to it :( ) Yes talk to other pirates so get a good idea of the direction you want to steer your toon in, (but really there are no bad choices in skill learning), as for the move to 0.0 i dunno, never lived there, never tried to live there ... have only passed through on occasion.

5) Not sure when you last tried Eve but they had a decent graphics update within the last year, try again is all i can suggest.

6) Don;t forget D2D has EVE for $5 at the mo as part of it's 5th birthday promotion.

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Originally posted by DeadlyByDez

Have been dying to give this puppy a go and as of now I am looking at the trial acct dling. I have a few reservations though that have stopped me dead in my tracks from playing in the past.
    (1) Do I have to mission grind? I really want to get away from that. My idea of eve is that yes I can do anything I want from the get go (within reason)
    (4 ) I would like to be a pirate. Can I start out in eve with that idea from the beginning? When would one advise to start pryin 0 sec space?
    (5) Techie one this is. The last time I trialled eve, it did not seem to get on well with my ATI4870 HD card? Is there a reason does anyone know? Just hept scrambling my screen

1: You do not NEED to mission grind, no. You dont ever have to do a mission period if you dont want to. However, it will help you get some gear and cash, as well as make things cheaper on you, so I would suggest you do some at LEAST in the beginning.

2: Too late? No. Will you be the best, most skilled (skill points, not actual skill) player? No. However, you can still become competitive, and you will at least have the upper hand over those that come after you. :p Many people have proven that within a month of very focused skilling, you can actually do some pretty good pirating against the right ships. Join a corp, and you are golden.

3: I cant say much about this. I dont see a lot of people roleplaying, but I dont hang out with roleplayers.

4: Yes, you can set out with this idea fromt he beginning. However, keep in mind that you will be working towards that goal from the beginning, not actually managing anything in the beginning. Read around about how to deck yourself out for low SP pirating, and you should be able to do well. Also, fly cheap things, so when you lose, it wont hit you hard. Many people pirate in Frigs, and you cant get cheaper than that.

5: A scrambled screen? Like, just colored lines? If that is the case, it is because of the resolution. You get a scrambled screen when the resolution of the game is higher than your monitor can do.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

1) No. It is only up to you wheter you want to grind. EVE let you to find your own way and place.
    2) No. While the skill system is real-time, you can utilize only limited amount of your SP at given time. That means your skill progression is not vertical but horizontal.
    More SP will allow you to do more things, not particulary better.
    3) EVE is one big role play because your reputation is the most valued comodity you have.
    4) To start with PVP, I advice you to join Factional Warfare first in order to learn how PVP works. You can be valuable member of PVP group since day 1.
    5) Dunno, probably a problem on your end.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Rallycart

2: Too late? No. Will you be the best, most skilled (skill points, not actual skill) player? No. However, you can still become competitive, and you will at least have the upper hand over those that come after you. :p Many people have proven that within a month of very focused skilling, you can actually do some pretty good pirating against the right ships. Join a corp, and you are golden.

Wanted to clarify this one point, you do not need to have the most SP's to be competitive.

Every ship (and profession for that matter) has a finite number of skills that affect it, and a finite number of levels in each skill.  Within 6 months to a year you can learn most, if not all the relavant skills for a particular ship (or role) and be the complete equal of any other player in the game no matter how long they've played.

Difference is, while you might be their perfect equal in flying a Zealot (Amarr Heavy Assault Cruiser) since they've been in the game longer they might be able to also fly a Vagabond (Minmitar Heavy Assault Cruiser) and you won't. (nor do you need to since you both can only fly one ship at a time)

More time in game means more SP's which means more diversity in what you fly, but isn't a forumula for PVP success.

I've been playing 2.25 years now, don't feel gimped at all compared to the 5+ yr vets, and yet you could easily come along and in 6 months or less, meet me in combat and destroy me for any number of reasons including having a better ship fit for the situation to just the fact that calling me average in PVP  would be probably overstating my prowess. (your skill in fighting your ship definitely has an impact.)

Good luck and don't be afraid to do the trial a few times before taking the plunge....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

1) There are plenty of ways to make money outside of grinding missions.

2) Nah, its never to late to start.  Especially in a game with a skill system like Eves. 

3) its kinda hard not to roleplay in a game like Eve.  I mean... if your a pirate... well your a pirate.  That is how you will interact with people.  Same thing as a PvP pilot, or a miner, or a trader... etc etc.  Now most of the population doesn't go the full circle and talk about how hard their bunks are or how bad the galley food is, but I'm sure there are a few hardcore RP corps if you look hard enough.  The few I know of are Amarian based.

4) You could probably hook up with a pirate corp from the very beginning and they'd probably be more than happy to show you the ropes.  Even within a single day you could skill up to the point where you could be useful to them as a tackler.  If you talking about going out solo and doing pirate stuff, you'd wouldn't fair well.

5) I've played with a 4850 in the past, and now I use a 4890.  I can't imagine why a 4870 would have any problems.  Just make sure you update you drivers and you should be fine.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

All the main points have been covered, so I'll just add one bit of advice that the others neglected.

Download it now! Get started!

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

You sound like a perfect canidate TBH.

As for number 5, make sure cataylst is not installed. Omega third party ati drivers are also very good.

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

I have VERY limited experience with EVE online but i wanted to offer up a bit of my own words here, like some of the above said, never to late. Ive also read/heard they revamped the tutorial for EVE which when i hit my account back up soon here i plan on goin into options(which i learned upon inquiring a few days ago) and resetting the tutorial so i dont have to re roll the low skilled toon(s) i have up. So id say its never to late to jump in and give it a go.

I also have a Q that i was curious about with the talk of pirate players. I thought it was my understanding that by setting urself up down the path of pirate didnt that make it a little more difficult for traversing higher sec space? Im REALLY rusty on my EVE knowledge ... limited knowledge so i cant recall how all that worked.  I wonder if there are any "neutral" or not downright im just gonna shoot u on sight pirates out there lol.

PS. if ur in high sec space and some fool tries shooting at u he's either A) accidently clicking things or B) new lol, u wont have to worry about running, just sit back and enjoy the fireworks that will begin shortly after they open fire ^ ^

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

• decoy26517decoy26517 Member Posts: 313

Nope! The game levels without you even doing anything! Just select the skill you want to level and then leave your computer and go do something more interesting.

(2) the oldie.. Is it too late for me to start?

Well, you'll never be able to catch up to the more experienced players in terms of skill levels. BUT if you dump enough time money into it the game you'll eventually catch up to the veteran players. And you wont ever have to leave the station! 

Like most MMOs, it depends on how much YOU want to RP. I've noticed that there are a lot of RPers here.. not as much as in LotRO but there are a lot.

you CAN start out as a pirate but expect to die a lot and you'll end up losing your ships and have to start over from square one again.

Nope, worked great on my GF 8800 and works great on my GF 275. I also have all the bells and whistles going on as well.

"World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this genre." - Hilmar Petursson. CEO of CCP.

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

About piracy:

I can only say, do it. Expect to lose many battles in the beginning - especially while you're still learing the ropes, so it might be a good idea to do a few missions (or something else) before going pirate (It is expensive).

I recommend trying to find a pirate corporation who takes in rookies (I remember Blood Money Inc. having a bootcamp) and let someone help you out, both in terms of what to train, but more in what to do when fighting.

Also, to answer the question about traveling..

The further down your security status goes (Agressing/killing someone makes it go down) the further down the sec status of systems you can go to.

I believe it goes like..

Below -2.0 = restricted from 1.0 sec systems

Below -2.5 = restricted from 0.9 sec systems

Below -3.0 = restricted from 0.8 sec systems

Below -3.5 = restricted from 0.7 systems

Below -4.0 = restricted from 0.6 systems

Below -4.5 = restricted from 0.5 systems

-5.0 or below = Kill on Sight in all empire.

So you need to consider where your assets are, how to access them, and how to make isk after you've gone pirate.

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

i came across a fairly nicely done vid for EVE online the other day so i figured it link here for those that were still watching this thread and were interested.

www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/eve-online-the-butterfly-effect/326105

it certainly makes me want to play.. ah im gonna have to dust off my rifter when i get back -.-

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age