Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Professions

I have many characters because I like to experiment with different classes and races. What I usually have difficulty choosing is what professions to give each one.

I've tried researching them but what I've noticed is that people very rarely ever mention Jewelcrafting or Inscription. I can't tell if that's because it's old info or if they're not really considered "worth it".

I'm interested in Inscription on my Warrior because I figure I can do other professions on other characters. My main is a Paladin and she has both Mining and Blacksmithing (although I'm thinking about changing to Engineering). Does it really matter? The way I see it is you either use what you make or try to sell it. Then again, Gnomes have a buffed Engineering ability so I dunno...but I don't want to wind up with like 5 characters with the same professions, that's kinda boring and I'd be wasting a bunch of material that I'm picking up elsewhere.

Comments

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Stat-wise, it's Blacksmithing/Jewelcrafting. This will cost A LOT of money, but this way you'll have the most personal benefits from them.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Cant say how it is now but when i played skinning and mining were good money makers as was cooking.

Edit: Fishing is the most fun and cheapest way to level your cooking.  Fishing is the one thing i miss about the game. It is done very well.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Keep in mind the special abilities the gathering professions give. I'm not sure if they go above rank 4 (since that is as high as I have gotten one), but are definitely useful at lower levels.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by grandpagamer

Cant say how it is now but when i played skinning and mining were good money makers as was cooking.
    Edit: Fishing is the most fun and cheapest way to level your cooking.  Fishing is the one thing i miss about the game. It is done very well.

Wow. I have trouble not falling asleep during fishing. It's basically a self-hypnosis technique. Boring, and you have to concentrate.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• x10122007x10122007 Member Posts: 60

Yeah, I'm not big into fishing either. On all of my characters, it's the lowest secondary skill each time.

So is there a reason, then, why certain professions are overlooked? I've seen Mining/Engineering, Herbalism/Alchemy, Mining/Skinning, Mining/Blacksmithing, etc. but almost every time I look at what people are suggesting for each class, I fail to see anyone suggesting jewelcrafting or inscription. Someone gave me some glyphs a while back but I forget what class they were.

I like inscription a lot. Much more than jewelcrafting, the other new tradeskill.

It is a big plus for enchanters. You also get the teleport scrolls, which are nice.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

I genarally start all my characters with skinning and mining as they level through to at least L60 as these are the easiest money spinners from the start as you level. From 60 it is then worth choosing a secondary high level money maker, so choose to keep one with skinning and add leatherworking, then keep one with mining and add engineering.

Those would be the base money makers, leatherworking especially can generate a lot of money at the higher levels with armor kits and high level armor sets. It is also worth making a char with herbalism and alchemy if you are gonna move on to Jewelcrafting too as potions elixirs make some money, but more importantly the transmute gems at higher levels can save you a lot of hassle and money. My alchemist makes about 900g/week just from jewel transmutes, as i buy the mats on ah for about 15-20g which can be turned in to a 140g+ raw gem. If you have JC on top of that, the 140g raw gem can be turned in to a 2-300g+ armor gem.

All of those figures of course depend on the market situation on your particular server, but the basic principal stands.

There are plenty of guides online that show you how to level things like LW and Engineering as fast as possible with the minimum effort and cost and by the time you come to do it you should have the cash in hand anyway.

Good luck.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Leather workers just got 2 new drum recipes in 3.2.2

Which is great for dungeons and 10mans where you don't have a druid or pally.  The only catch is you need Max LW skill 450, I am at 442 so I got some work to do before my hunter can BUFF players =S

I am not sure what level you need to be to use these drums or wether you need 450 LW to use them, if you dont need 450 LW then these should sell rather well on the Aution house. Kerrrching!

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

You can try this site:

www.tentonhammer.com/wow/guides/

They offer some very good guide...

RIP Orc Choppa