Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Competition of the MMOs

2»

Comments

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442
    Originally posted by Alchem1st

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Originally posted by tro44_1

Thats your opinion, and others have theirs. Yes GW1 may not have been a MMORPG, but it still was labled such, by many blinded rabit fanboys.
    But this time around, GW2 will be a MMO, and it will be compared to the MMORPGs already out there. The common term of killing a MMO, doesnt mean that it gets shut down, it only means, the base or avg number of players is constantly dropping.
    F2P MMORPGs , regardless of their success, will still have a player base that grows. But usully when this is applied to a F2P game, it is refering to if the avg online player population is depleting or not.

are you autistic or something? explain why GW is not an MMORPG.

because arenanet says so(game maker)

corpg if i recall or close to that

ye, corpg? show me 1 place where those words are written or said. wtf does corpg even mean? is it diminishing the size impression of the word massive? no one not even anet has ever called GW anything other than an MMORPG.

I remember when it was in Beta.. and at launch, it was called  Competetive Online Role Playing Game...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If GW is a MMO then so is Halo and Resistance, and Diablo and WC3 so on so on :^)

GW is very different from those. GW is in the same line as DDO. You play together in the city hubs but not outside, then it is all instanced. There is also a few battlegrounds in Factions ala Wow.

CORPG is what arenanet calls it themselves (and they do so in their FAQ, or at least it used to say so there when I started to play it). I would say that GW is a MMO, or at least a semi MMO. And since it is on this forum, while Diablo and Warcraft 3 isn't means that the staff of this site thinks so too.

But all this have nothing to do with Guildwars 2 which are set in a open persistant world. There will still be some instanced places but most will be open so it will be a classic MMO in many ways, but the persistant world is something rather new (that WAR was supposed to have but canceled out when they cut the content).

So the "is GW a MMO" thread is off topic here and should be in the Guildwars forum instead of here, stay on topic.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Thats your opinion, and others have theirs. Yes GW1 may not have been a MMORPG, but it still was labled such, by many blinded rabit fanboys.
    But this time around, GW2 will be a MMO, and it will be compared to the MMORPGs already out there. The common term of killing a MMO, doesnt mean that it gets shut down, it only means, the base or avg number of players is constantly dropping.
    F2P MMORPGs , regardless of their success, will still have a player base that grows. But usully when this is applied to a F2P game, it is refering to if the avg online player population is depleting or not.

are you autistic or something? explain why GW is not an MMORPG.

because arenanet says so(game maker)

corpg if i recall or close to that

ye, corpg? show me 1 place where those words are written or said. wtf does corpg even mean? is it diminishing the size impression of the word massive? no one not even anet has ever called GW anything other than an MMORPG.

They did actually make up their own label CORPG (check http://www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/features/default.php second question). But who cares.

Im more annoyed that you use autistic as insult. That really shows ignorance from your part.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by dplagius

Everything I have read so far has points to Guild Wars 2 not trying to compete to overpower WOW or even steal WOW players.

Guild Wars 2 is not meant for the average typical gamer who likes to grind 5 or 10 levels to reach the cap then quit playing because there is nothing else to do except raids. GW2 is being made for the user who likes to be challenged with Skill use and GvG.

Coming from experience I have witnessed several people who played WOW and switched over to GW. Most of them end up going back to WOW after they reach 20 because "there isn't anything else to do in the game". Well on the contrary there were tons of missions still not completed. Campaigns were not even unlocked nor was the expansion to the game.
    Conclusion, GW is not trying or being made to overtake WOW, it's just trying to be the best game OF ITS KIND ever to be created.

Well, trying to make a new Wow always fail, besides did the team that did GW and work on GW2 started with working for several years on Wow. Strain was Wows first lead developer before Kaplan. People who love Wow will stay with Wow.

But I actually know a lot of people that play both games, Wow for PvE and GW for PvP. I asked a friend of mine about it and he said that he didn't like Wows PvP, it was to imbalanced and slow. He liked the raiding and groups however and since GW have no monthly fees he said it was the perfect alt game.

But we don't know how GW2s system will be, there was talk early that it shouldn't have a level cap at all whatever that means but that was when the announced the game and started to work on it. We can't assume it will be like the first game in that aspect.

There is a lot of rumours but few facts. One thing is that the game will be zoneless, not like Wow but using some new system Strain made (he did the zooneless thing in Wow too).

I myself played thru GW ('cept the last 2 missions of Factions) because of I liked the story and I think GW together with Diablo (1) is the best programmed computer game I ever played. Never seen a single bug or issue.

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by dplagius

Everything I have read so far has points to Guild Wars 2 not trying to compete to overpower WOW or even steal WOW players.

Guild Wars 2 is not meant for the average typical gamer who likes to grind 5 or 10 levels to reach the cap then quit playing because there is nothing else to do except raids. GW2 is being made for the user who likes to be challenged with Skill use and GvG.

Coming from experience I have witnessed several people who played WOW and switched over to GW. Most of them end up going back to WOW after they reach 20 because "there isn't anything else to do in the game". Well on the contrary there were tons of missions still not completed. Campaigns were not even unlocked nor was the expansion to the game.
    Conclusion, GW is not trying or being made to overtake WOW, it's just trying to be the best game OF ITS KIND ever to be created.

You know they say politics is all about talking a lot and not saying anything.

Even thought this post has nothing to do with politics, you still did manage come up with nothing to say.

1/10