Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is it so hard to improve character animations?

2»

Comments

• JenakaJenaka Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by Frobner

Im watching icelandic horses out of the window now - and to be honest - your picture makes me cry.  It looks more of a cow than a horse. 
    Here is my version of a horse.
    Head and "hair"  and shape - farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/2608350399_0fb6abaaf0.jpg
    www.youtube.com/watch
    Movement - Yes these are real - takethereinstoday.com/images/icelandic_horse_u90i.jpg 
    Reins would be - www.empirefarms.com/Merlin.jpg  Its a disgrace to not see rains in a world that is supposed to be none magical.  It the best sign that Turbine has crappy ppl working on the game concept and are obviously spending ZERO effort into putting middle earth come to LIFE.  
    Or maybe it would be best that ppl actually looked at some of the pictures form the horses in LOTR movies and it would help ? 
    Here is one side with few links - www.brego.net/lotr/horses.php
    For me - horses in LOTRO are a gamebreaking factor.  Its pretty much the only game so far that I simply can not play because of it.  That has probably to do with my imaginary version of horses in Middle - earth.  But Im pretty sure my version of the horses is more of what Tolkien was thinking of - rather than the horror that Turbine is offering.  I promise you that.

PS.... and if you want to see an awsome pony - then see the Icelandic horse do TÖLT.    Enjoy
    www.youtube.com/watch

It certainly does not look like a cow. Go google some cow pictures and see for yourself. No need to be so dramatic. Perhaps it's the pinto pattern that's throwing you off?

Personally I think seeing an Icelandic pony doing a tolt in LOTRO would be lore breaking, or a Lipizzaner doing a passage or a Tennessee Walker doing a running walk. Maybe you should look at some pictures from the movie. Not all of the horses had long flowing manes and they did the standard gaits.

If it's as important to you as you say then you must not be able to play any MMOs with horses in them. I've never seen any yet as perfect as you seem to need. If you know of some, post the links.

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by Jenaka

Im watching icelandic horses out of the window now - and to be honest - your picture makes me cry.  It looks more of a cow than a horse. 
    Head and "hair"  and shape - farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/2608350399_0fb6abaaf0.jpg
    www.youtube.com/watch
    Movement - Yes these are real - takethereinstoday.com/images/icelandic_horse_u90i.jpg 
    Reins would be - www.empirefarms.com/Merlin.jpg  Its a disgrace to not see rains in a world that is supposed to be none magical.  It the best sign that Turbine has crappy ppl working on the game concept and are obviously spending ZERO effort into putting middle earth come to LIFE.  
    Or maybe it would be best that ppl actually looked at some of the pictures form the horses in LOTR movies and it would help ? 
    For me - horses in LOTRO are a gamebreaking factor.  Its pretty much the only game so far that I simply can not play because of it.  That has probably to do with my imaginary version of horses in Middle - earth.  But Im pretty sure my version of the horses is more of what Tolkien was thinking of - rather than the horror that Turbine is offering.  I promise you that.

PS.... and if you want to see an awsome pony - then see the Icelandic horse do TÖLT.    Enjoy
    www.youtube.com/watch

It certainly does not look like a cow. Go google some cow pictures and see for yourself. No need to be so dramatic. Perhaps it's the pinto pattern that's throwing you off?

Personally I think seeing an Icelandic pony doing a tolt in LOTRO would be lore breaking, or a Lipizzaner doing a passage or a Tennessee Walker doing a running walk. Maybe you should look at some pictures from the movie. Not all of the horses had long flowing manes and they did the standard gaits.

If it's as important to you as you say then you must not be able to play any MMOs with horses in them. I've never seen any yet as perfect as you seem to need. If you know of some, post the links.

Actually - quite a few Icelandic horses were used in the LOTR movies (also arabic ones that can also do tolt).   Again - I do see this as a big factor in any game I play - but I can live with low graphical quality of hroses in games like WOW cause the game overall isn't focused on bringing out anything extra detailed to begin with. 

I found this clip about digital horses in LOTR movies and tbh it really summed up everything that I think of horses when it comes to High fantasy - high graphical gaming.  

www.youtube.com/watch

Plz watch it and compare those horses to what Turbine is offering.  Im not over dramatic about this - I just think if any game is gonna do high graphical quality game from LOTR then they should spend HUGE effort on the mounts cause they are big part of the stories - and will become even bigger in later expansions of LOTRO.

And just to show that there are actually ppl out there that have huge passion for the LOTR horses - then here you go =)

www.youtube.com/watch

www.youtube.com/watch

www.youtube.com/watch

And one funny one in the end ;Þ

www.youtube.com/watch

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Jenaka

www.youtube.com/watch

www.youtube.com/watch

Actually - quite a few Icelandic horses were used in the LOTR movies (also arabic ones that can also do tolt).   Again - I do see this as a big factor in any game I play - but I can live with low graphical quality of hroses in games like WOW cause the game overall isn't focused on bringing out anything extra detailed to begin with. 

I found this clip about digital horses in LOTR movies and tbh it really summed up everything that I think of horses when it comes to High fantasy - high graphical gaming.  

www.youtube.com/watch

Plz watch it and compare those horses to what Turbine is offering.  Im not over dramatic about this - I just think if any game is gonna do high graphical quality game from LOTR then they should spend HUGE effort on the mounts cause they are big part of the stories - and will become even bigger in later expansions of LOTRO.

The thing is, I agree with you to a point.

The horses in LOTRO are lackluster. In vanguard I was noting how much more grand they were. the animations aren't that great in some cases but the horses seem more imposing.

The LOTRO horses feel like "almost ponies" to me.

Thanks for posting that. I think I'll watch all 3 director's cut movies again :)

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JenakaJenaka Member Posts: 56
    www.youtube.com/watch

And just to show that there are actually ppl out there that have huge passion for the LOTR horses - then here you go =)
    www.youtube.com/watch
    www.youtube.com/watch
    www.youtube.com/watch
    And one funny one in the end ;Þ
    www.youtube.com/watch

Icelandic horses may have been used in the movies but did you see any do the tolt? In the clips you posted most of the horses looked like average horses to me, doing standard walk, trot, canter, gallop. And you are comparing making digital horses for a movie to an MMO horse. You think they should spend a HUGE effort on the mounts in LOTRO? At the expense of what? MMOs do have their limitations you know. And they have been making improvements gradually, with an eye towards the future I'm sure.

I like Vanguard's horses myself but they do have their faults. They lack musculature and the skins are flat and lack detail. They have nice barding however.