Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A thread that will soon be deleted on the official forums

YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Just posted this, expect it to be deleted within the hour:

The entire time that DDO has been online... players, game critics, and even rabid detractors of this game have generally agreed that the combat system was pretty fun. In response to this praise, you nerf the hell out of swing speeds the moment the game starts to become popular. This decision defies any logic that is known to me, or that I can imagine.

Yes, this horse is already beaten in multiple threads. I'm sure this will get deleted, and perhaps get me a ban. However I am upset enough that I really don't care. At least I have said my peace. My best wishes to all of you in your future endeavors.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

Comments

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Its kind of silly to say how it will be deleted, how its stupid to post it, how you will probably get banned. Just leave it out unless you WANT that to happen.

As for the topic... part of the problem was that DDO was just another hack n slash in that regard... yes might work for some... but its supposed to be Dungeons and Dragons though... and while they already lost the true D&D fans with such a horrible product, they might lose the DDO fans (not to be associated with D&D fans imo). Oh well, they already made their money, now DDO is a test project for them.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Its kind of silly to say how it will be deleted, how its stupid to post it, how you will probably get banned. Just leave it out unless you WANT that to happen.
    As for the topic... part of the problem was that DDO was just another hack n slash in that regard... yes might work for some... but its supposed to be Dungeons and Dragons though... and while they already lost the true D&D fans with such a horrible product, they might lose the DDO fans (not to be associated with D&D fans imo). Oh well, they already made their money, now DDO is a test project for them.

DDO was far from another hack and slash and always had been. Many of the people left playing this game are true D&D fans.

As for making their money, you must be kidding me right? DDO has not turned a profit and unless the F2P hybrid is a big hit never will. Well if they sue Atari for enough maybe they can call it even.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

DDO was far from another hack and slash and always had been. Many of the people left playing this game are true D&D fans.

As for making their money, you must be kidding me right? DDO has not turned a profit and unless the F2P hybrid is a big hit never will. Well if they sue Atari for enough maybe they can call it even.

It is a hack n slash, the type of classes the majority play are an indicator of this play style. Solo melee types that just swing their weapon at anything that moves. Furthermore, there is no indicator that DDO players are true D&D fans. I separate the two because they are two different groups. Ebberon is one of the worst D&D campaigns, it was created during a contest in which to appeal to a different type of group. So far turbine has been good at getting blockbuster franchises, expecting the names to sell their games while providing horrible and low quality games. If you have a 10 million dollar franchise for example, you better make a 10 million dollar game. In other words, blockbuster franchises deserve blockbuster products. 

As for DDO's profits, they have nothing left to lose. The entire game was a mess to begin with.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Yeebo

The entire time that DDO has been online... players, game critics, and even rabid detractors of this game have generally agreed that the combat system was pretty fun. In response to this praise, you nerf the hell out of swing speeds the moment the game starts to become popular. This decision defies any logic that is known to me, or that I can imagine.
    Yes, this horse is already beaten in multiple threads. I'm sure this will get deleted, and perhaps get me a ban. However I am upset enough that I really don't care. At least I have said my peace. My best wishes to all of you in your future endeavors.

Based on your statements and approach, this doesn't seem so much a matter of being concerned with reaching a resolution as it is with "HEY GUYZ LOOK WHAT I DID!"

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  

It is a hack n slash, the type of classes the majority play are an indicator of this play style. Solo melee types that just swing their weapon at anything that moves. Furthermore, there is no indicator that DDO players are true D&D fans. I separate the two because they are two different groups. Ebberon is one of the worst D&D campaigns, it was created during a contest in which to appeal to a different type of group. So far turbine has been good at getting blockbuster franchises, expecting the names to sell their games while providing horrible and low quality games. If you have a 10 million dollar franchise for example, you better make a 10 million dollar game. In other words, blockbuster franchises deserve blockbuster products. 

As for DDO's profits, they have nothing left to lose. The entire game was a mess to begin with.

The majority? You happen to have any stats to back up that statement? Most longtime players I know have a mix of classes they play and not all or even most play mostly melee types.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Yeebo

Eh I dont see why anyone would care about this post or why it would be deleted. There are alot of complaining on the forums about it and we already have a thread here discussing it. And the devs have already answered and plan to make changes based on the feedback.

Slower combat affect some classes at some levels. If they increase animations with 10% like they say, I think everyone will be happy again. Another drama queen...

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

This. I cannot believe anyone who likes D&D could seriously enjoy DDO. They are wildly different The game was stupid enough without "nerfing" one of the very few things that was...kind of...fun about it. If you want to swing your sword slowly and drool all over yourself, there are plenty of games for that already.

I think there is a pool at Turbine for who can come up with the idea that enrages the most people or loses the most loyal fans of an IP. I really do think you have to TRY and TRY HARD to totally ruin two of the most internationally popular IPs in the whole world.

It boggles the mind.

So:

Edit:

I hit enter before I wanted to, so there is no "I like it!" option for your fanboys. Please feel free to flame if you wanted that option.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

lolwhat?

you do know that in dnd the standart most common classes are prety much the same like in ddo?

also first levels of the game are exactly that in both dnd and ddo. the difference is ofcourse is that you roleplay through everything in dnd thus it looks more interesting.

solo? thats only like beginning of the game.

so clearly you only played through 5 or so (maximum) missions alone. you didnt even bother finding a group if not for the difficulty of the mission, but for the sake of game being a mmo. if you choose soloplay that doesnt the game is actually solo.

so..... your arguments are pretty much worthless since you didnt even play the game (sorry, but this is one of the games where you see what is the game about only after 4 or so levels). not only that, but you lack common sense regarding dnd itself.

anyway the only thing id agree is that eberon sucks. well... its not the worth thing to happen in game industry, but there are much more interesting worlds in dnd universe so its kinda sad that you cant go visit places you may know from various rich lore books etc.

and yeah ddo isnt an excelent game (then again not many games are). while enjoyable ofcourse it doesnt provide any 'whoa' factor and dnd fans might expect much more... its not THAT bad. however my post is about you making failed arguments about something you dont even know.

also i dont see how nerfing swing speeds hurt the players? i mean most of the players like melee classes more than ranged/caster ones its not because of some swing speeds, but the stype melee classes provide.

also did you see in any forum that if people troll the devs to not nerf some imbalanced aspect of the game, they actually listen to the fans and let the imbalance live on? naive man.

Originally posted by sazabi

lolwhat?

you do know that in dnd the standart most common classes are prety much the same like in ddo?

also first levels of the game are exactly that in both dnd and ddo. the difference is ofcourse is that you roleplay through everything in dnd thus it looks more interesting.

solo? thats only like beginning of the game.

so clearly you only played through 5 or so (maximum) missions alone. you didnt even bother finding a group if not for the difficulty of the mission, but for the sake of game being a mmo. if you choose soloplay that doesnt the game is actually solo.

so..... your arguments are pretty much worthless since you didnt even play the game (sorry, but this is one of the games where you see what is the game about only after 4 or so levels). not only that, but you lack common sense regarding dnd itself.

anyway the only thing id agree is that eberon sucks. well... its not the worth thing to happen in game industry, but there are much more interesting worlds in dnd universe so its kinda sad that you cant go visit places you may know from various rich lore books etc.

and yeah ddo isnt an excelent game (then again not many games are). while enjoyable ofcourse it doesnt provide any 'whoa' factor and dnd fans might expect much more... its not THAT bad. however my post is about you making failed arguments about something you dont even know.

also i dont see how nerfing swing speeds hurt the players? i mean most of the players like melee classes more than ranged/caster ones its not because of some swing speeds, but the stype melee classes provide.

also did you see in any forum that if people troll the devs to not nerf some imbalanced aspect of the game, they actually listen to the fans and let the imbalance live on? naive man.

Slow swing speeds hurt melee combat. Combat is one of DDOs best things. THis change makes combat less fun, hence DDO is now less fun.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I thought they slowed swing speeds because you miss SOOOO much less now?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Almost 24 hours later it's still there and still on the first page although the Combat forum seems to be a weird place to put a rant that is not specifically about combat.

forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by Swanea

I thought they slowed swing speeds because you miss SOOOO much less now?

Which is part of the problem. If you miss too much find ways to get your to hit up. DDO should not have slowed down combat to add the +5 and +10 to hit at such low levels. Now no one misses, but combat is slow and boring compared to before the patch, IMO.

• RealmLordsRealmLords Member Posts: 358

10 to 1, an underlying issue is server CPU loading.  Tons of free people means high server loads.  Servers can handle more users by ticking slower.  Instead of 10 physics checks per swing, they might get 4.  At regular swing speed this would mean tons of misses because of holes in the checks.  Slowing the swing time by half could push the number of physics checks (per swing) to 8 making it reliable.

If I'm right, someone decided that keeping the servers solid is more important than fast combat.

Ken

www.ActionMMORPG.com
    One man, a small pile of money, and the screwball idea of a DIY Indie MMORPG? Yep, that's him. ~sigh~

Originally posted by RealmLords

10 to 1, an underlying issue is server CPU loading.  Tons of free people means high server loads.  Servers can handle more users by ticking slower.  Instead of 10 physics checks per swing, they might get 4.  At regular swing speed this would mean tons of misses because of holes in the checks.  Slowing the swing time by half could push the number of physics checks (per swing) to 8 making it reliable.
    If I'm right, someone decided that keeping the servers solid is more important than fast combat.

Ken

DDO has been working on this issue for 20 months. Long before F2P or population was an issue on their servers.

• kevingailykevingaily Member Posts: 113

I will admit I don't like the slower swing speed. I liked it better the way it was. That said, I enjoy the game and will just have to suck it up and hope they will be able to adjust it a bit to move a little less laggy feeling.