Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long!?

The anticipation is killing me, I need to know the release date.  Once I do I won't have such bad anxiety over it AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Comments

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Think late next year.

Until then, you're stuck with not knowing :)

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120

Most of the community is settled on mid 2010, with an early 2010 beta.  (Maybe a beta starting this year?  Who knows?)

• levin70levin70 Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Odela

Most of the community is settled on mid 2010, with an early 2010 beta.  (Maybe a beta starting this year?  Who knows?)

You might think that, and it would be the case if Bioware was still Bioware.  But its not anymore.  They have new masters, and their masters are in financial trouble.  2009 losses were a billion dollars (march ye) and Fiscal First Qtr 2009 (June Qtr) EA cash outflows from Operations were approx 328 million.  Given that the Company has 1.6 billion (at June 30) in cash and no other assets they can turn into cash, they need revenues now, not a year from now. 

That means by the end of 2010, if they don't or can't turn things around they will have blown through their cash.

Expect EA, as the new masters of Bioware to push for Holiday 2009 release, no matter what form the game is in.  Bugs, warts and all, my guess is that EA will force this title out the door to stop the cash bleed from its development

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by levin70

Expect EA, as the new masters of Bioware to push for Holiday 2009 release, no matter what form the game is in.  Bugs, warts and all, my guess is that EA will force this title out the door to stop the cash bleed from its development

Going to be pretty hilarious when you eat the words you type in mid 2010 to late 2010. EA is going to force this game into release while it's still in ALPHA? LOLOL.

I think EA is the least of our concerns. LA on the other hand....

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Im thinking of doing an Eric Cartman...u know that episode of south park were he freezes himself when he is waiting for the nintendo wee to come out:)

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Originally posted by greed0104

Going to be pretty hilarious when you eat the words you type in mid 2010 to late 2010. EA is going to force this game into release while it's still in ALPHA? LOLOL.

Agreed.  The notion that this game will release by 2009 holiday is rediculous.  There might be some money issues, but when is there not?  I don't see them pushing the game out that soon.  I'll be happy if we have all the classes released by then lol.  I agree with the majority that there will be closed beta starting in spring of 2010, or a bit sooner.

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120

They said it's a 2010 release after ME2 and Dragon Age, and there's still 4 classes to reveal...AND beta.

Yeah, it's not an 09 release.

• xiirotxiirot Fallen Earth CorrespondentMember Posts: 328

ask a friend to put you in "suspender animation." ---> Suspender Animation

* "the wait will seem instantaneously."

"Good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure. We get very little wisdom from success, you know." William Saroyan

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

They said it's a 2010 release after ME2 and Dragon Age, and there's still 4 classes to reveal...AND beta.

Yeah, it's not an 09 release.

They never said that, I know exactly what interview your talking about and he never said that.

What he did say is that right now Bioware's focus is releasing Dragon Age, then ME2 in the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2010 and then TOR.

He never said TOR would be released in 2010.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Not again. Do you have any idea how many threads there are asking the release date? Did you bother to look at the top of the forum where it says "Status: Development (est.rel N/A)"?

Do you understand what that means? 

• RoosterNashRoosterNash Member Posts: 283

You might think that, and it would be the case if Bioware was still Bioware.  But its not anymore.  They have new masters, and their masters are in financial trouble.  2009 losses were a billion dollars (march ye) and Fiscal First Qtr 2009 (June Qtr) EA cash outflows from Operations were approx 328 million.  Given that the Company has 1.6 billion (at June 30) in cash and no other assets they can turn into cash, they need revenues now, not a year from now. 

That means by the end of 2010, if they don't or can't turn things around they will have blown through their cash.

I chuckled when I read this. For one, it is absurd to imply EA pushing a BW game (in it's early stages of BETA) onto the shelves for the 2009 holidays. It would be a HUGE mistake on EA's behalf, since it could potentially ruin the game's turn over. I was intrigued by your first acclaim, but you closed with something inheritantly premature and preposterous.

While an early release may become the inevitable future of this game, I certainly don't see it in the NEAR future. I'm sticking with MID to LATE '10 release with possible open beta coming soon.

THE Rooster Nash

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Moirae

Not again. Do you have any idea how many threads there are asking the release date? Did you bother to look at the top of the forum where it says "Status: Development (est.rel N/A)"?

I don't, could you explain to to me please?

Originally posted by greed0104

EA is our greatest concern.  EA doesn't have a lot of options, given that its currently burning through a chunk of cash every quarter, and has limited resources.  EA owns bioware, they can and will do what they want with their company assets, whether the bioware guys like it or not.  So go ahead and LOL all you want, but be prepared to eat crow when the game launches very early. 

Originally posted by RoosterNash

I chuckled when I read this. For one, it is absurd to imply EA pushing a BW game (in it's early stages of BETA) onto the shelves for the 2009 holidays. It would be a HUGE mistake on EA's behalf, since it could potentially ruin the game's turn over. I was intrigued by your first acclaim, but you closed with something inheritantly premature and preposterous.

While an early release may become the inevitable future of this game, I certainly don't see it in the NEAR future. I'm sticking with MID to LATE '10 release with possible open beta coming soon.

You are unfortunately making the mistake of making a rational argument from a gamers perspective.  What I am telling you is the perspective from the CFO's office of EA, the owner of all assets and intellectual property of Bioware.  EA is crying right now because they have major cash burn issues and they need to resolve those issues quickly.  You can chuckle all you want, but it doesn't change the story that EA needs to release games in development way before they would like to stop the cash hemmorage that is occurring right now.  That inevitable future is much closer than you think

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

You are unfortunately making the mistake of making a rational argument from a gamers perspective.  What I am telling you is the perspective from the CFO's office of EA, the owner of all assets and intellectual property of Bioware.  EA is crying right now because they have major cash burn issues and they need to resolve those issues quickly.  You can chuckle all you want, but it doesn't change the story that EA needs to release games in development way before they would like to stop the cash hemmorage that is occurring right now.  That inevitable future is much closer than you think

I hope they learnt a lesson from WAR and do not release early. If not they'll see an initial spike of box sales folowed by a steady decline of monthly subs.

• AkruxAkrux Member UncommonPosts: 56

"Status: Development (est.rel N/A)"?

This means the game status is in development. The estimated release date is not available.

No matter how often or how strongly somebody posts on these boards they really don't know when the game will be released.

Only the developers and their bosses know how the game is progressing and they are not telling us at this point.  Benchmarks that you can watch for are closed beta starts and open beta starts. Once open beta starts that is a very good sign that the game will be released in the next few months. However some games have encountered major problems at the open beta stage and release can be six months or more later.

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

The problem with the premise of such an early release is that BioWare has 2 other extremely sought after titles being released. Dragon Age is being released on Nov 2nd this year and ME2 likely in January 2010. Those two titles will be big sellers and lovely little cash cows. They will buy BioWare plenty of time to do TOR right.  

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

A good idea before doing a financial analysis is to know something about financial analysis, which you quite clearly do not...

First, make that 1.84bn + 440m in liquidity.

Second, "no assets"? What about their 1.5bn in long term assets..?

Third, unleveraged + 3bn in equity gives them plenty of unused debt capacity

Last, Q3 is when they make their big bucks..

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by Aercus

A good idea before doing a financial analysis is to know something about financial analysis, which you quite clearly do not...

First, make that 1.84bn + 440m in liquidity.

Second, "no assets"? What about their 1.5bn in long term assets..?

Third, unleveraged + 3bn in equity gives them plenty of unused debt capacity

Last, Q3 is when they make their big bucks..

Yep, can we say Madden!

Plus this dude is acting like TOR is the only game EA has coming out in the near future, please.  Dragon Age and ME2 just from Bioware alone in their portfolio in the near future.

Without even looking at their statements, I'm sure EA is hurting like alot of folks out there and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those losses that are on the books are investment losses, which who hasn't lost big in investments in the last year.

• kain4kain4 Member Posts: 8

Ea might own bio-ware but no they are not the main worry by any means, part of the agreement bioware had when they were bought was they get to act as a seperate entity so ea does not have control of the release date. thank you and good-night.

• VysceVysce Member Posts: 26

Wouldn't a 09 release be nice? Now I know it is wishing for too much (before everyone starts shouting at me), but BioWare has been, for the most part, really vague on what they have completed of the game. For all we know, the game could be in beta and now their just prefecting it and other productions of theirs (i.e. Dragon Age, which looks amazing). I did get and interesting e-mail from Star wars Galaxies saying they apologize for just recently closing down a bunch of their servers. It got me thinking, maybe they're doing this to make way for the new Star wars MMO which may pleasantly surprise us with an early release? I highly doubt it, but then again, I don't think I'd be surprised. I WOULD be calling the hell out of everyone and making a huge scene, but inside I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm a patient guy. I recently picked up WoW ater quitting for half a year, and I pre-ordered Aion so I think that should hold me over until SWTOR comes out. Either an unexpected Holiday release, or a mid-2010 release, I hope they just get it working. I heard the CO launch was a huge failure.

See you all at the midnight release when this thing comes out!!

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Odela Most of the community is settled on mid 2010, with an early 2010 beta.  (Maybe a beta starting this year?  Who knows?)

If the game was launching this year there would be a closed beta with community members already. We're pretty much done with September leaving only 3 months of the year. There is no way the game will be releasing in 2009 and anyone that believes otherwise should focus their minimal brain-power on life-sustaining functions.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by mbd1968

Originally posted by Moirae

I don't, could you explain to to me please?

Oh my god. You can't be serious.

Est.rel means :ESTIMATED RELEASE DATE

N/A: means THEY DON'T KNOW WHEN THE GAME WILL BE RELEASED YET.

This will probably come across as rude but oh well... use your damned brain. That should have been obvious even to a ten year old.

• FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417

no need to be rude to the guy.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by mbd1968

I hope they learnt a lesson from WAR and do not release early. If not they'll see an initial spike of box sales folowed by a steady decline of monthly subs.

I don't know what this "New Masters" business is,  EA has owned bioware for a couple years at least now,  Mass Effect was published by EA and it did very well and wasn't rushed.  This game isn't even in beta yet, and more then half the information isn't known or hasn't been revealed, some of it even on Biowares end, so to think they'll push the release for 09 is ridiculous. They won't  ...  period.