Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever seen THIS before???!!!

Metrune79Metrune79 Member Posts: 5

Well guys normally i am playing EQ2 and Wow, i have these both on my laptop.

One particular day for no reason i decided that i would try out a new game. LOTRO

So i downloaded the trial, and when it was done and i got it all loaded up, i went to the char select screen.

This is when things got weird...

When looking at the char select screen it looks like all the polynomials were not put together, but they were just put in a pile... looks just like a pile of raked up leafs in the fall.... LOLOL (blobs of polynomails)  So i did what i had to and tryed to log into the game and found that the game works.... but all the chars were the same blobs of polynomails walkin around and functioning. After looking at a friends computer i also realized that all the buildings are gone in my game also...   The landscape is all there and looks good, the ui is all there and working correctly, and the game seems to function correctly. 

Basically the problem is just that the chars are all messed up and the buildings and walls are all gone.

What i did to try to solve this was delete and reinstall the game... the delete and reinstall the full game... then i did alot of research to make sure that im over the min requirements... and then i went through 4 differant graphics card drivers.

My system is a gateway 600yg2, windows XP home edition, 2.4 ghz, 1024 ram, mobility radeon 9000 64mb graphics card, 160gb hard drive, Direct X 9.0c, and on a broadband connection.

This computer runs wow and eq2 without any problems on med settings.

K guys.... im stumped.... what do i do now???

Comments

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

never had that looks like bunch of origami statues. hope you find answer.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

1 - it`s ``Polygons``

2 - It looks like the issue I had When I started playing WoW and went into a city. Are your video card drivers updated? I updated mine, and the problem went away.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Usually happens when a card is dying or seriously overheating. Other possibilities is drivers, but you said you already worked with that as a possible solution. That's an old ass card man, I'll bet it's dying.

Edit: Have you tried turning Vysnc on and off?

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

lol wow. Def gotta be something with your computer and the game or with your graphics card and the game.  Outside of that, no idea.  Check the forums for the game?

• Metrune79Metrune79 Member Posts: 5

oh thanks for the correction on the polygons.... i wasnt sure what the correct term was... lol

As far as the drivers, the are the most up to date ones i can find... and ya it is a really ooold card... but is still supported on the requirement site... they say they require an 8500 and up... i have a 9000...  i know that is really close lol

as far as the video card dieing... well it plays wow and eq2 well... and i dont have any other problems with it... no glitching or failing in any way... i use it for movies and games, no problems.  Could this still be it going dead?

Also when you look at the blobs as you are moving around the game... they are not glitchy... they are solid, if that makes any sence... when your legs are suppose to be moving, i can see legs in there moving... lol,

Also what is Vysnc??? and where do i find it?

try to scan the files might be corrupt file that models use.

I'm not talking about requirements, GPU life spands vary. The fact that your still using a 64mb card blows my mind. Even though it may play other games fine there is still a possibility of it dying. My recent card, 7600gt would run a lot of games fine, I would load WoW, 2 hours later it get graphical tearing, like you are getting. It might not be dying, it could be over heating, and that usually leads to a dead card.

Like I said try messing with vsync settings in your graphics options in LOTRO. Come back and tell me if the tearing stopped.

Originally posted by Pcgamer81

try to scan the files might be corrupt file that models use.

This is another possibility. Considering there is no landscape tearing, could be corrupted player models.

Really if it's not Vsync, and there are not corrupted files. I would almost bet the minimum requirements are lying or your card is overheating or dying.

kk played with all the settings in the game menu options....

when in the details and stuff like that i could see all the changes but didnt fix the problem.

Now i had heard a long time ago that these laptops were bad about overheating but, i can start this thing up and imediatly go into the game and it is exactly the same.  When i play wow or eq i can play for 10 hours straight (I know this is bad) but i dont have any problems... no glitching no slowing down nothing...

and even when i run this game... it runs smooth, with the exception of the models being messed up.

if it is in the models of the game itself, how would i fix that? i reinstalled twice, one with the trial and one with the standard download...

what to do next?

When was the last time you updated Direct X? if it's been awhile try updating www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx

Hey look when i move to the right position, i can get a char model to appear!

If it were directX it would effect other games also right??? im showing that im running 9.0c

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I had that problem in Lotro before actually.. and I DID get it fixed but I don't remember what the solution was. I think it only happened when I overclocked my video card too high or I just needed to dust out my video card though. (i.e. overheating)

You probably should take a can of air and blow out your laptop as best you can, and run memtest86+, also make sure you have the texture resolution set to medium or low since you have so little video ram.

I know tearing sounds like the right word but that's not a vsync problem.. it's overheating/corruption. The tearing they talk about with vsync is when the top half of the screen doesn't line up with the bottom half because the top half is an old frame and the bottom half is a new frame. Vsync makes sure it doesn't send out a new image to the monitor unless the whole frame is done, which causes a slight delay but stops the split image from happening.

it's not directX then i use 9.0c and run fine. I think maybe your video card is,'t up to task. some games may look same graphic wise but far from it. WoW is actually pretty light game compared to lotro.

Originally posted by Metrune79

If it were directX it would effect other games also right??? im showing that im running 9.0c

No, certain versions really depend on what game you are playing. It's worth a shot, gotta narrow the problem down some how. And out of curiosity what driver version are you using for your card?

it's not directX then i use 9.0c and run fine. I think maybe your video card is,'t up to task. some games may look same graphic wise but far from it. WoW is actually pretty light game compared to lotro.

Ya, it could be the case but lotro does scale down really well once you start disabling everything. I'm able to run it on a netbook at like 14fps with everything turned off lol.

it's not directX then i use 9.0c and run fine.

You know DX9 is updated almost every other month right?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Its a model corruption issue.  I see that alot when exporting a bad model into a game engine.  I would try uninstalling the game, deleting the install file, doing a system cleanup, then re-download and install the game.

On the actual graphics card.  An 8500 is a midrange part.  A 9000 is a lowend part.  Low End parts have only rescently started to be capable of descent 3D performance.  Considering its a low end part 5 generations old, its performance won't be as good as a midrange part 1 generation older.

Also are you using drivers from gateway or from ATI for the video? If you have a Catalyst control panel from the drivers then you may have the Overdrive tab which will let you see what temp the GPU is at, and also underclock it to bring the temp down.

edit: also go right click your c: drive and do system tools, check disk for errors. The list of things to look at are, hot GPU, bad ram, bad disk - the data is getting corrupted at one of those places.

direct x on this lap top is about 4 months old or so... i put a fresh copy of windows on here...

a couple drivers i have used are 6.14.10.6343 (gateway), and current is 6.14.10.6371 (from ati)

Also as far as parts are concerned... hard drive 4 months old... all memory 6 months old.

and another thing im noticing is that there is no tearing at all.... its all smooth.

and if i zoom out all the way i can see some player char models... they are just all whited out

Originally posted by Metrune79
    direct x on this lap top is about 4 months old or so... i put a fresh copy of windows on here...
    a couple drivers i have used are 6.14.10.6343 (gateway), and current is 6.14.10.6371 (from ati)

Also as far as parts are concerned... hard drive 4 months old... all memory 6 months old.
    and another thing im noticing is that there is no tearing at all.... its all smooth.
    and if i zoom out all the way i can see some player char models... they are just all whited out

Well here's my rundown of everything I think you should check:

• Try the Radeon Mobility drivers from ATI's website. I know they only go back to the Mobility 9500 but that driver package may support the 9000 as well, not sure. This is also least likely to be the problem in my eyes so don't bother too much if it doesn't work. You can also try the more up-to-date custom DNA or Omega drivers that people have put together if you like.
    • Dust out your laptop as best you can. If you have a laptop cooler use that, or try putting it on something to prop it up to let air under it.
    • Go to http://www.memtest.org/#downiso and grab the pre-compiled ISO, burn it and test your RAM, it can still have problems even new and more RAM dependent games can run into the bad sections that others don't. If the RAM is bad then verifying files etc can all turn up corrupt so do this before the next part.
    • Go into the launcher and one of those buttons at the top will get you to the option to verify all files, do that. Also scan your drive for errors.
    • Try various AGP aperture sizes in the BIOS. Usually best to have it equal to or double the onboard video RAM. If the Mobility 9000 GPU is actually using shared RAM then allocate as much toward it as the BIOS will let you.
    • Underclock the GPU temporarily to see if the lower heat helps.
  • smsfrarsmsfrar Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

1 - it`s ``Polygons``
    2 - It looks like the issue I had When I started playing WoW and went into a city. Are your video card drivers updated? I updated mine, and the problem went away.

Agreed! I updated my drivers also and I was good to go

"Amazing how you can do without the essentials of life, so long as you have the luxuries".

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

EQ2 and Wow are 5 years old, twice as old as LOTRO.

I don't think your card is dying because it would happen in all games then. Same thing with bad memory.

My bet is that either your card is just too old and crappy to run the game or you need more ram.

You do have very little ram and ram is very cheap. No metter what is making this problem I would reccomend you to get at least another gig (DDR2 1Gb 6400 cost $25 or so on the place next to me and they are not even cheap).

Memory gives a lot of performance for the money. But it is time to get a new GFX card also, your current is ages old and really crappy. LOTRO is one of those games that needs a acceptable gfx card.

The alternative would go back to playing 5 year old games, because I bet you can't run AoC or Aion at all on it.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

eq2 is one of the most demandaingf game on everything so if it runs in eq2 its a setting in his gcard 

like some card supported featiure but some other missed feature 

and if you miss one feature this stuff might happen

i m pretty sure it a setting .

hell eq2 i bet most computer cant max the game and run smooth yet lol