Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW The Old Republic May Have Player Housing

i found a rumor article on massively i figured id post it for anyone who hasnt seen it, http://www.massively.com/2009/08/27/rumor-the-old-republic-to-have-player-housing/

what are your comments and ideas on player housing?

Kaze is thy name, and flying high in the sky is where ill remain with the wind blowing though my wings i shall bring swift justice upon this world

Comments

• WraithwoodWraithwood Member Posts: 6

i personally think most player houses tend to be a bit gimmicky. at there best they provide a buff of some sort, a place to store your gear if your bank space is full and maybe have an alternative place to do some crafting or turn it into a store. not that that's a bad thing, but the part that disillusions me from player housing is the amount of money and/or hoops you have to jump through in order to get it. all in all it seems like something you dump money into when you have nothing better to do with your time.

now, if player housing took on the form of a room on a large guild ship or guild hall were you and your guild mates could trigger missions were you fall under attack and have to defend your home? that would be pretty fun. and it would be pretty interesting trying to strike a balance between style & defendability. you could then open up all types of upgrades in regards to you guilds security system like turrets, shields, blast doors & war droids/guards. and if you add guild Vs guild fights then (for me at least) i think that would transform player housing from tacked on side quest to something that really adds to the game as a whole.. but, i digress.

• MaligarMaligar Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Wraithwood

i personally think most player houses tend to be a bit gimmicky. at there best they provide a buff of some sort, a place to store your gear if your bank space is full and maybe have an alternative place to do some crafting or turn it into a store. not that that's a bad thing, but the part that disillusions me from player housing is the amount of money and/or hoops you have to jump through in order to get it. all in all it seems like something you dump money into when you have nothing better to do with your time.
    now, if player housing took on the form of a room on a large guild ship or guild hall were you and your guild mates could trigger missions were you fall under attack and have to defend your home? that would be pretty fun. and it would be pretty interesting trying to strike a balance between style & defendability. you could then open up all types of upgrades in regards to you guilds security system like turrets, shields, blast doors & war droids/guards. and if you add guild Vs guild fights then (for me at least) i think that would transform player housing from tacked on side quest to something that really adds to the game as a whole.. but, i digress.

What you just described...

SWG's housing/city building + CoX SG/SV Bases = damn tasty...

Sounds good, now if we could just get it implemented.

Maligar Kelison
    Threat Removal

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269
    Originally posted by Wraithwood

all in all it seems like something you dump money into when you have nothing better to do with your time.

That sounds like mmo's as a whole tbh

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by anime1199

i found a rumor article on massively i figured id post it for anyone who hasnt seen it, http://www.massively.com/2009/08/27/rumor-the-old-republic-to-have-player-housing/

I can't play a mmorpg without housing. If my character doesnt have a house I dont feel attached for too much time. It's good they are going to implementd it.

• WraithwoodWraithwood Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by mrw0lf
    That sounds like mmo's as a whole tbh

heh, too true. though the irony of that statement on this site is not lost on me :)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Yes they are kicking around the idea and they haven't said flat out it will not be in the game..  how it will work we have yet to know... but having your housing based on a planet that could come under attack from the other faction could be a very real possibility.  

• beladanbeladan Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by alakram

I can't play a mmorpg without housing. If my character doesnt have a house I dont feel attached for too much time. It's good they are going to implementd it.

that's my feeling too. 'Owning' a house helps give me ownership of the game. If i don't have a place to call my own, I really don't feel attached to the game. I hope we do get houses!

• SwteaSwtea Member Posts: 12

I hope for housing or in my case a guild room, i run a large guild of 150+ members and we need a place to meet and i'm also hoping for Cargo ships to help move my men. I do hope they impliment this. The Exiles Alliance

http://swtea.webs.com/ The Exiles Alliance SWTOR guild

• quandudequandude Member Posts: 10

Not bad...I actually find that idea pretty snazzy~~! :)

aaaaaaaaaa

• hatebeasthatebeast Member Posts: 3

The ladies will enjoy it.

• SwiftpainSwiftpain Member Posts: 35

If I can drop my weapons and what not on the ground in my house, I am sooo down. But thats hoping for way to much :P. Cause I totally wanna have a spilled bag of thermal detanotors next to my bed. Nothing bad can come from that.

• MeberakMeberak Member Posts: 27

Sounds pretty sweet

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.
    --Socrates

• TiaziTiazi Member Posts: 1

In UO, you had a lot of control over the architecture of your house. In EQ2, you could use your house to sell on the market board and bypass the fees. In SWG, you could run a store or craft in the backyard. In FFXI, you could even get buffs from furniture or use your house to facilitate travel within different areas of the city, giving your house more utility.

While player housing can be used for storage or for trade, it also makes a player feel connected to the game by letting them customize something small-scale in a larger, mostly fixed world. It would be pretty interesting to see some sort of interaction available within the house, such as a mini-quest board that lets you take missions, or have entertainment technology inside the house.

I just hope it's instanced and not another empty town *coughDAoCcough*

• JaimeSlayerJaimeSlayer Member Posts: 4

let's hope it's true

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

I like housing, it adds alot to the a game.

Idea's for it, i'll keep to myself.

Godspeed my fellow gamer

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Im really not interested in housing systems like in EQ2, Anarchy Online and LOTRO. Its nothing but a lame afterthought in those games.

While Im looking forward to SW:TOR, it will be because of the story. Ive no reason to believe that the housing system in SW:TOR will be remotely interesting. And no way itll be as good as in SWG.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I'm not planning on playing the game right now, but if they do have non-instanced player housing I might have to reconsider. We'll have to wait and see what they do next year.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

I still am not drawn to what is being sold as KotOR Online.

I simply do not see it translating well. Especially not a more direct transition.