Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LCD vs Plasma tech

bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

Some basics in display technology in a comparison of high end displays

A must read before one commits to a us$1000+ hdtv purchase. Be advised that Panasonic plasma draws about 600W, so you better have airconditioning! 600W tv, 140W cpu, 250W gpu, 1000W ps... soon one can only play games in wintertime!
The average plasma TV uses more than three times as much energy as an old cathode-ray tube set, and a 48-inch plasma TV can draw more power than a large refrigerator — even if the set is used only a few hours a day, regulators say.
Liquid-crystal display, (LCD) TVs guzzle less — about 43 percent more energy than tube sets, according to a study by Pacific Gas & Electric Co. LCDs now account for about 90 percent of the 4 million TVs sold in California annually.

You will have more excess heat than an accidental misfire from your image laser rifle (Bethesda Softworks Fallout3 Oct 28, 2008).

edit
fyi students can get Windows 7 for us$29.99; offer ends January 3, 2010 at 12:00 am CST. W7-64b vs Vista-64b vs Wxp-32b and gaming performance link

PS
UT3 will be FtP this weekend through Steam
Started yesterday.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

They even included the LED based backlit models.  Very thurough.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Everyone knows that Plasma HDTV's still blow LCD HDTV's straight out of the water.

I've bought my Panasonic Plasma 2 years ago and never regret it. So did pretty much every other person I know.

Most people I know that first bought a LCD TV got fed up with it within a month or two, put it on sale and went for Plasma instead.

LCD still has a long way to go.

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

OP, are you aware that real power draw is very much different from nominal values? That computer example you gave is just ridiculous.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I'm happy with my 73 inch DLP for $2000

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by mbd1968

I'm happy with my 73 inch DLP for $2000

i want the new 150 inch that was at pax 

too costly tho ,and its back order 

since that pace isnt very fast to make those 

oh well i ll keep my 22 inch lol