Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cliche Storyline?

squigothsquigoth Member Posts: 24

Seriously... awakening dragons? Did anyone else laugh during the trailer? All of the guild wars 1 storylines were way cooler. I think dragons is way to mmorpg cheesiness... thats just my opinion though

Comments

• Alchem1stAlchem1st Member UncommonPosts: 16

your right, but they just took less time to make the storryline than they put in the mechanics of the game, wait for the first expansion than talk story with me. not to mention they might play this awaken dragon cliche in a rather interesting way.

• hekimohekimo Member Posts: 85

....thats a fail

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Fantasy genre HELLO?

Dragons are way cooler than anything.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• squigothsquigoth Member Posts: 24

dragons are fricken awesome but the trailer just made me laugh at the cheesiness

• hekimohekimo Member Posts: 85

thats not all there is to the storyline -_-

and i would much rather see an awaking dragon than a queer blood elf

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

It's a fantasy game. All we know is the very basics of the story for GW2 so just wait and see.

I do hope they make the dragons...bad ass. Almost every mmo I've played the dragons were little more than overgrown lizards. Make these dragons cool.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Could you name a mmo or fantasy game that is not cliche to the max?

Yeah.

• TetsunamiTetsunami Member Posts: 20

Though it sounds and would seem cliche it is only one element to the overall story, even with the little information that has been given about the overall story arc what with the uniting of the races it would seem that as with GW1 the awakening of the dragons is only going to be one element in what will likely build up to be a deep an intriguing story if ANet has anything to say about it...luckily they do!

• aurikenauriken Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by arenasb

It's a fantasy game. All we know is the very basics of the story for GW2 so just wait and see.
    I do hope they make the dragons...bad ass. Almost every mmo I've played the dragons were little more than overgrown lizards. Make these dragons cool.

Kuunivang in GW1 looked pretty cool. The rest were ok. Glint and the Bone Dragon were o.k.

Visayas Finest: Auriken
    Professional, uppin the decibel a decimal above.

• 1niceone11niceone1 Member Posts: 29

I also heard Guild Wars 2 has magic...eugh how cliche is that! No but seriously it's a fantasy genre, dragons and the like are what define the genre, and admit it, dragons are pretty bad ass. I have also seen quite a large amount of information that shows Guild Wars 2 is also breaking the mould of fantasy styled MMO's, like the use of flame-throwers and guns. I'm far more concerned about how the game plays than the excuse for wielding a sword or fire ball.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

Y'all don't go all fanboi, the OP has a point.  :) However the dragon is the defacto mythological beast conveying ancient inteligence,  and power. What better than a dragon to raise a dead city from the bottom of the ocean and begin an invastion. Even the army of the dead is over used, but what better army could a dragon employ.

As someone else said it will all be in the story. It's the unique spin they put on the theme that will make or break the games story.

• LtJohnnyRicoLtJohnnyRico Member Posts: 214

It sounds like they read the fantasy series, "A Song of Ice and Fire" and then thought of a way to do something similar with dragons returning and people uniting.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by LtJohnnyRico

It sounds like they read the fantasy series, "A Song of Ice and Fire" and then thought of a way to do something similar with dragons returning and people uniting.

good book i wish that autor would finish that story

• pleasenjoi93pleasenjoi93 Member Posts: 71

I thought the trailer was so sick. I don't know why people say they were laughing... what was so funny? 

"...these forums are like soap operas"-Nihce

• LtJohnnyRicoLtJohnnyRico Member Posts: 214
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

Originally posted by LtJohnnyRico

good book i wish that autor would finish that story

Good? The best books. THE BEST. And Martin would have been finished but he didn't like the way some of the characters were hashing out so he went back and rewrote a lot of it. I'd rather him stay true to his characters and the series than quickly pump out another best seller that is shit.

• squigothsquigoth Member Posts: 24

ya im sure the game will still be amazzzing. but we will see how it is. personally i wish it was just an addition to the storyline now, not 500 years later.

• AladyleynaAladyleyna Member Posts: 269

Isn't it a bit too early to tell when a storyline is going to be cliche or not? Especially if we only know like... what... less than 20% of the plot? And, the information we have is a bit too vague at the moment. For all we know, they might actually make a plotline that sounds cliche into something extremely interesting. So yeah, let's wait until we have more information on the plotline before decrying it. For now, it's like saying that Star Wars is cliche because it follows the heroes' journey plotline, without knowing how it is being carried out.

Main characters:
    Jinn Gone Quiet (Guild Wars)
    Princess Pudding (Guild Wars)

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Carnivorous

As a 1337 gvg champ of GW1 I was looking forward to GW2 but when I found out this game was going to be catered to average pve masses unlike its predecessor I was kinda pissed off.
    Stupid storyline was included even in GW1 but who cares. This game should be about pvp... not for carebears farming ectos. Add some grind for levels, uber open pvp with no skill required and here u go.. a perfect game for wowified masses of average joes. Just great!
    FU anet. And don't even dare to touch TA.

Sorry you won't be coming back. I'm also sorry to tell you that solid MMO's needs both a strong PvE and PvP community or it is short lived. Those "carebears" will help keep GW2 afloat far longer than a PvP only centric game. Only someone with their head soundly  lodged in their backside would think ohterwise.  Also why does adding more depth to PvE break the PvP?

BTW I was being sarcastic in the first sentence.

• cryoracryora Member Posts: 367

I think the dragon is pretty much the only cliched thing about it.  That and the rise of undead armies.  Everything else is unique, like the races.  I have an feeling that this "cliche" might play out pretty well.  A reason why ANet might have chosen dragons as the ultimate bad guy is probably because dragons holds a very iconic image in popular fiction.  Perhaps it is too popular for its own good.  Nevertheless, these dragons have characteristics that are unique to the Guild Wars universe, just as dragons in other games and movies have characteristics unique to their respective worlds.  I don't see why ANet choosing to make dragons as the ultimate adversaries in Guild Wars 2 would automatically be interpreted as them doing a bad job as far as storytelling goes.  Perhaps fans wanted to be wowed with something extraordinary in the trailer, thus having such a commonly used creature on the spotlight only created distaste.

And when you do try to think of all the games where dragons played a significant role in the story, it's actually quite hard to come up with very many, at least for me.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

cheesieness in a high level. but boy that trailer set my geely gene on fire :D 

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

In essence the storylines of Factions(evil overthrowing the empire) and Nightfall(rise of an evil(?) God), but Anet manages to make the storyline much deeper than that. Not to mention the side lore I'm very excited about.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

The point of these games is to run around and kill stuff over and over - an undead army led by a massive dragon is as good as anything. At least the art style and races are unique. 

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Dragons has been in guild wars 1 aswell. whats the bad abut it?i just think its cool. and if you played all guild wars campaigns and GW:EOTN,the story must have dragons in gw2.So stfu and stop thrash talking dude.

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Yes books are made for you so you can get inspiration and ofc enjoy the book.