Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends vs Heroes of Newerth

nubsnubs Member Posts: 59

I love both of these games but I am thinking that I will go with Heroes of Newerth. I like the graphics more and I like the fact that it has far more avatars to choose from. What I do like about LOL is the auto match making. But the advatage of HON is that you can autobalance teams when creating teams. What does everyone else think about these two awesome upcoming games?

Comments

• VizzaVizza Member Posts: 32

I've betatested both of them, and I currently prefer League of Legends. My interest for this type of gameplay started in warcraft 3,

but the first map probably wasn't dota. You see, in wc3 there are many player made maps, and dota is just one among the Aeon of Strife type of game play.

I've played dota for many years, on and off, for about five years.

League of Legends:

This game is inspired by DotA, but they've got stuff of their own. You can customize your gameplay by spending mastery points

in three different trees: offense, defense and utility. Like talent trees in WoW. Then there are also runes that grant small bonuses to armor, attack, dodge etc.The shop menu is very easy to navigate in, and I'm sure players who haven't played dota before will find it quite easy to use. Every champion gets 6 suggested items, so if you don't know much about a champion, or the game, you can just buy all the recommended items.

You don't run out of mana after using a spell two times in the beginning, so you can play aggressively. You've got alot of fun spells to use. My favorites are probably knockbacks, because they work for many different situations. You can use them creatively.

By reading what the developers type, I get a feel they care about having a community, and encourage it. I think this is very important in co-operative games.

Heroes of Newerth:

They've taken so much from dota that it sort of feels better to just play dota.

The only reason for me to play HoN would be because of significantly less delay and it doesn't have

the limitations of being a warcraft 3 custom map. There are fewer heroes, but that can change as time goes by.

The spell effects don't show clearly enough what they do.

Pretty much dota with a new skin.

Also I get a feel that this game is more "elitist" than League of Legends, and I don't think it's so important to be the best.

• squigothsquigoth Member Posts: 24

I am looking forward to LoL and wont really dedicate all my time to it but it definately looks more advanced than dota and perhaps more skill, although DotA is so basic and really the elders of it wont like LoL

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

I was in beta for HoN. Man, I really wanted to like the game and I tried. But every match I went in I found it has one of the worst communities I've ever seen. I had never played the orginal mod they modeled these games after. So Ya, I was new to it. Instead of people explaining stuff I was expected to know everything on my first few tries obviously. I uninstalled it and never touched it again. Horrible community.

• nossunossu Member Posts: 5

Heroes of Newerth is not that bad except that it's like a DotA ripoff. I just like the feeling of playing DotA with very nice graphics and effects.

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by qotsa

I was in beta for HoN. Man, I really wanted to like the game and I tried. But every match I went in I found it has one of the worst communities I've ever seen. I had never played the orginal mod they modeled these games after. So Ya, I was new to it. Instead of people explaining stuff I was expected to know everything on my first few tries obviously. I uninstalled it and never touched it again. Horrible community.

Same and never going back.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

That happens in many games that are like dota at least in Lol you have levels and talents so people know if your a newbie or not hopefully.

I prefered LoL between the 2 but I got the most latency in LoL rather then in HoN so couldn't play well and stopped.

• KillerrKKillerrK Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Zodan

Originally posted by qotsa

Same and never going back.

Sorry to hear you guys have such a hard time but I think it really depends on who you get on your team.  However most people who are beta testing HoN are either past serious or avid DoTA players.  I will say that if you join a game without looking at the name you might end up in competitive surroundings and because of HoN's online player stats you would want good players on your team if at all possible.

Aside from that, I think HoN brings a lot of what DoTA players really wanted out of dota.  To me its basicly was everything I wanted to happen for DoTA.   I can only see the game getting better as they move out of beta and into release.  

I'll need to give LoL a try before I can rule either the champion, but right now I am loving HoN in all its glory :)

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by squigoth

I am looking forward to LoL and wont really dedicate all my time to it but it definately looks more advanced than dota and perhaps more skill, although DotA is so basic and really the elders of it wont like LoL

Definitely less advanced than DotA, I'm a beta tester.

To the OP, sadly I still think you're best off with DotA, while it is the least pretty, its the most balanced, has the best flow and the gameplay just 'feels' better than HoN or LoL.

• Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90

If you're new to DotA, then absolutely go with LoL. It's catered so that the new player can get into DotA without the cliff freefall steep learning curve and the hardcore community on your ass at every wrong move.

You may be turned off by LoL when you see HoN's graphics, but once you play both, you really start to appreciate the colorfulness of LoL. Everything's crystal clear and outlines of everything are sharp, making them really stand out in the clutter. LoL's heroes are also quite humorous to listen to and announcer is a plus.

HoN  is more of a direct port of DotA with better graphics and with an engine that's more malleable than updating the aged WC3 engine. Obviously, more of the hardcore DotA players will go to HoN. It doesn't really teach you the gameplay like LoL does. Aside from the Newerth heroes and plot, the map is a direct copy of DotA down to the creeps and dark live/dead forest sides.

I'd probably play HoN if I actually liked DotA, but since HoN costs $30, LoL  is free and more catered to newbs, I'd rather play that.

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

what i heard on HoN is that their community is really bad, i guess they need to beef up on there.

I tried HoN and it was okay, it's like dota gone into a make-over, the gameply is still the same but the graphics is rally good

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281

As an avid dota player. I'd go with HoN. yeah too bad that most people expect you to know everything. Dota is a very brutal game.