Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

time to test this out.. soon

DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

So i happened upon some thread pertaining to this game earlier and after lightly skimming a few threads noticed a pattern of alot of nice things being said about ryzom with little negative comments in comparison to the positive ones. I vaguely recall hearing about this title a few yrs back around the time i think i had heard of priston tale. So i decided to give this a try after noticing a nice 3 week free trial to sample . Gives me plenty of time without feeling rushed in between my other gaming sessions.

So i am curious. Is the monthly sub via cc a secure/hassle less system as it sounded like it worked a little differently or maybe i wasnt quite awake earlier when i first read it.

Also is it a safe bet that this game is still receiving updates and solid developer attention?

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

Comments

• zimzimzimzim Member Posts: 60

uppdate, yes, this game has just came of a free periode, so i think the "devs" are trying ther best to make this game work now. thay had som problems whit ther Sub systems earlyer on i think or somthing i dont know for shure.

But the game is greait and realaxing funn:D 

I WANT A SCI-FI MMO!! (NOT EVE, or Fom, or FE)

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

relaxing and fun sound pleasant^ ^

As im a serious mmo fiend ive got several accounts all over. Alot of which i still like little things here and there in the games ive played, but im really awaiting FF14 and am interested in guild wars 2. So im looking around and tryin a few new games here and there that ive never played before.

Also re assuring knowing that the threads here are active somewhat for the game as well lol

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by DeViLmAn0
    Is the monthly sub via cc a secure/hassle less system as it sounded like it worked a little differently or maybe i wasnt quite awake earlier when i first read it.

The monthly sub process is quick and painless, as it should be. It's also relatively cheaper than other P2P.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

so ive noticed,  sorta wish there was a tad bit more to work with in character creation lol.

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

**sigh**

I'm trying to get it.  I really am.  Everything I read about this game made me think it would be what I'm looking for to replace WoW - or at least give me a counter-balance to WoW - and I've been looking for a long time.

I don't get this game.  I've played it for several hours now - I know that isn't much - but so far it's lacking.

Great crafting system? yes.

Neat environment with seasons and weather systems that actually do stuff? yep.

Fun? um...

Able to be played by moderately casual players who value their jobs and marriage?   um...

I've spent most of my time confused and frustrated.  Every time I reenter the starting town I'm lost.  There's hardly anything there and yet I find it as difficult to find things as my first few visits to Orgrimar.

I do have a plan, though.  With my first character I tried to dabble in all skills to get a feel for the game.  I think I'm going to start over and just focus on magic.  Perhaps trying to learn one focus will catch my interest.  As much as I want to be able to harvest and make stuff... it's beginning to look to me like people who harvest well don't do anything else.  To each his own, but this would not entertain me at all.

So magic it is.  I'll be magicing away.  I hope the world and the spell crafting system will keep me coming back for more, I really do.  But right now I have to say I'm not even considering paying the monthly fee.  2 weeks before I have to make that decision.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

Originally posted by Joarnaj
    **sigh**
    I'm trying to get it.  I really am.  Everything I read about this game made me think it would be what I'm looking for to replace WoW - or at least give me a counter-balance to WoW - and I've been looking for a long time.
    I don't get this game.  I've played it for several hours now - I know that isn't much - but so far it's lacking.
    Fun? um...
    Able to be played by moderately casual players who value their jobs and marriage?   um...
    I've spent most of my time confused and frustrated.  Every time I reenter the starting town I'm lost.  There's hardly anything there and yet I find it as difficult to find things as my first few visits to Orgrimar.
    I do have a plan, though.  With my first character I tried to dabble in all skills to get a feel for the game.  I think I'm going to start over and just focus on magic.  Perhaps trying to learn one focus will catch my interest.  As much as I want to be able to harvest and make stuff... it's beginning to look to me like people who harvest well don't do anything else.  To each his own, but this would not entertain me at all.
    So magic it is.  I'll be magicing away.  I hope the world and the spell crafting system will keep me coming back for more, I really do.  But right now I have to say I'm not even considering paying the monthly fee.  2 weeks before I have to make that decision.

Ryzom is one of those games people either love or hate. Well, hate's a bit too strong. They don't like or get it. The first time I tried Ryzom a couple years ago, I felt the same way you do now. I couldn't figure things out. I couldn't find things. And I quit after several days. The second time I tried it, it clicked. I'm not sure exactly why either.

You don't need to start a new toon. Just switch your focus to magic on your existing toon. The great thing about a skill-based game like Ryzom, is you can work on one branch for a while, and then switch to another branch whenever you want. I had been trying to keep my fight and magic even all during the starting island. When I hit the mainland, I focused on fight for a week. Then switched to magic, and kept alternating them whenever I got bored with one or the other.

You can't rush Ryzom. It would take several years to train everything up to max. I'm in no way a "hardcore" player. I spend maybe a couple hours a night in either Ryzom or CO if I play at all. It's definitely possible to play Ryzom casually, just don't worry about leveling your skills up so fast.

Also, if you have questions about where things are or how things work, feel free to ask questions in Universe chat. The Ryzom community is very helpful and friendly.

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

**sigh**
    Fun? um...

First: Please, please, please, don´t take this as arrogant, or elitist or whatever is said by some when Ryzom players like me get to this point. Just read it and take it for experience I´d like to share with you, ok?

You´re making the same mistake that many players coming from other "normal" games out there frequently embark upon.

You´re still thinking "class based". And you´re too set in the ways of all the other games out there.

Like was said before, Ryzom is different. You can do and be everything you want, or your Character can.

If you´re talking about it: being "Fun? um...

Able to be played by moderately casual players who value their jobs and marriage? um..."

Yes, it certainly is. If you´re willing to get of the "I´ve got to be level 250 in two weeks" train of thought. If you´re looking for a game where skill level means everything and you´re a "good player" if you´ve reached max level in no time, then you´re in the wrong place, sorry. If you´re averse of thinking about the things you do in the game (i.e. the skills your character learns) you´re on the wrong planet, sorry. Like it was said, Ryzom isn´t to be rushed.

But don´t take this as a shout to "get back to WoW" or something equally stupid. No. Please read on.

Take it as an invitation to learn. Take it as an explanation to let your mind get of the set tracks and try something new. You can be a great player by just learning to understand the system and by participating in the community. Every game takes a certain amount of time, of course. But its hard to explain in short, what makes Ryzom so different. You just don´t need to play 10 hours a day to be "good" at the game. You just need to use your brain while playing. I guess that´s what it boils down to.

Please don´t take offense on this. I´m trying hard not to sound condescending here, please believe me. With no intonation in the words its almost impossible to get my point across and not sound like I´m calling you stupid. I don´t know what kind of player you personally are, I´m just writing down my experiences over the years with all kinds of players who did not try to "understand" the game and just declared it a failure, because it wasn´t what they knew from other games.

On Silan there´s plenty to do, if only you stop thinking in the terms of "I´m stuck with being a Mage/Fighter/Digger now." Each races representative teaches you other things "about the life on Atys" and "living on Atys". Ryzoms gameplay isn´t mainly about reaching max. lvl in the shortest possible time, or being 1337 in PvP . It can be for sure, if YOU want it that way, but please let me assure you, that you´ll miss much of its depth and fascination. That which keeps people like me and many others coming back to the game and makes our characters "live" in the world of Atys.

On Silan and on the main continents, you can do whatever you want. And I don´t just mean gaining levels in some skill.

You can explore and find many truly remarkable things, you can while participating in Missions (Quests) learn things about the history of your people and the New Lands in general. As was said before, don´t focus too much on just ONE thing to do.

Because, of course this will get boring fast.

But when you do the switch to another skill, think of it in terms of how its complementing the other skills you´ll learn and allready have learned. Digging and hunting complement crafting and vice versa. Hunting complements the fighting and magic skills, which will make you more powerful in general.

People will very probably give you armor and weapons just to be helpful and friendly, but don´t count on it to be that way all the time. Learn to be independent, or at least to contribute to whichever Guild you´ll consider joining.

Ryzom is about teamplay and soloing, while possible, is a long and very hard road, and those who truly walk alone on Atys bark have my utmost respect. For they never let themselves be beaten by boredom and truly "worked with the system" in their own way. But that doesn´t mean people who join a guild are any less, mind you.

On Silan all trainers will explain things to you, read their texts carefully and try not to just skip though these explanations, like so many others do in WoW or where-ever else. If in trouble, don´t hesitate to ask for help or friendly advice in Universe Chat. People will probably rush to help you. Nobody will call you a "N00B" or say "STFU LTP!!11!", just ask and people will help you. And most of the time, even without any "catch" whatsoever.

Sure, some will always try to draft you into their Guild asap, but these are a minority and well, just don´t fall for it

Let yourself become a member of the community, try to participate and don´t stand there in the "usual" way of "me against everybody else." Just "live" on Atys, and don´t just rush through levels to be the king of the hill.

A word on harvesting: YES, it IS hard in the beginning.

But as you progress, you´ll learn to be more efficient and faster in your actions. Same goes for crafting.

Both systems do require quite a lot of "player skill" to be truly mastered. It´s not just the levels that make a "master" in Ryzom. Its what you can do with these levels, that distinguishes those who really understand the system and learned some things as a real person, as opposed to those who just let their characters learn the levels and wonder why they´re not as good as other players in some skills, players of the same level at that.

For example, some diggers manage to get all 30 pieces of a given material from a source. I still haven´t figured out how, despite me playing since release. I´m fiddling around with possible combinations of skills and stanzas whenever I´m in the mood, but haven´t quite managed to find the "secret" yet. And I have to admit, at the moment I´m a bit to proud to ask I want to find out by myself. I´ve been given hints by friends and I think I´m on the right track, but well... I still only get max. 18 or so. 

No automated system will do this for me, I myself will have to learn when to hit the right button and when to switch to the correct skill combination. Player skill, not just level.

To me digging in Ryzom is much like fishing in other games (or even RL that is). A relaxing and fun skill to do when getting home after a hard day of work. With the added bouns of getting something useful out of it and not just some decorative item.

Additionally I´m with the game since release and have only accumulated a total playtime of about 130 days and no 250 skill yet.

Some may call me lazy for that, but me I´m just enjoying the game and "living" it. I don´t like to rush things. And I´ll be all the more happy when I finally hit my first 250 sometime in the future for it. For me Ryzom isn´t about "gameing", it´s about "playing" and enjoying the world and the people in the game.

I hope that helped a bit.

Everybody makes their own fun in any game, some just don´t work like all others and have to be approached in a different way.

CU

SaM / Acridiel

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

Thanks for the responses.  I do need to start over with a new character, I think, because after taking almost a week off I'm having a hard time remembering what I learned.  I'll focus on magic and once I know I can keep it in my brain I'll dabble in harvesting and crafting.

I don't think I'm set in my ways with other games.  I've played CoH and WoW for about 3 years each.  I think WoW is still pretty amazing - although I am a bit tired of it.  CoH was amazing but imo the user generated content has actually ruined the game.  My CoH background has actually gotten me oriented toward teaming, which I love to do.  I was very happy to finally reach level cap in WoW after a couple of years because I suddenly was teaming rather than soloing.

As for other games, I played PW and Atlantica, both of which I thought were fun.  I played Runes which I couldn't get into.  I'm trying out CO on a friend's account right now to see if I can justify buying it.  So far I'm on the fence.

Maybe I did have different expectations coming into Ryzom, but as someone who dabbles in theorycrafting in other games and loves trying to figure out the best combinations of things and what goes with what, I thought Ryzom would be right up my ally.  But so far it just isn't fun.

If I had all the time in the world I would just play a few hours a week and see if my interest gets piqued, but unfortunately I've only got 2 more weeks and then I have to pay.  This is actually probably not helping my mood on this game because I'm feeling a bit pressured to find out what makes this game tick, while still needing to spend time running with my guild in WoW - not to mention not pissing off my wife with too much time online.  =)

That's not the game's fault.  3 weeks is more than generous.  I guess I'm just disappointed and I don't know if I'm disappointed in the game itself or my inabillity to grasp it.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by MaDSaM

**sigh**
    Fun? um...

First: Please, please, please, don´t take this as arrogant, or elitist or whatever is said by some when Ryzom players like me get to this point. Just read it and take it for experience I´d like to share with you, ok?

You´re making the same mistake that many players coming from other "normal" games out there frequently embark upon.

You´re still thinking "class based". And you´re too set in the ways of all the other games out there.

Like was said before, Ryzom is different. You can do and be everything you want, or your Character can.

If you´re talking about it: being "Fun? um...

Able to be played by moderately casual players who value their jobs and marriage? um..."

Yes, it certainly is. If you´re willing to get of the "I´ve got to be level 250 in two weeks" train of thought. If you´re looking for a game where skill level means everything and you´re a "good player" if you´ve reached max level in no time, then you´re in the wrong place, sorry. If you´re averse of thinking about the things you do in the game (i.e. the skills your character learns) you´re on the wrong planet, sorry. Like it was said, Ryzom isn´t to be rushed.

But don´t take this as a shout to "get back to WoW" or something equally stupid. No. Please read on.

Take it as an invitation to learn. Take it as an explanation to let your mind get of the set tracks and try something new. You can be a great player by just learning to understand the system and by participating in the community. Every game takes a certain amount of time, of course. But its hard to explain in short, what makes Ryzom so different. You just don´t need to play 10 hours a day to be "good" at the game. You just need to use your brain while playing. I guess that´s what it boils down to.

Please don´t take offense on this. I´m trying hard not to sound condescending here, please believe me. With no intonation in the words its almost impossible to get my point across and not sound like I´m calling you stupid. I don´t know what kind of player you personally are, I´m just writing down my experiences over the years with all kinds of players who did not try to "understand" the game and just declared it a failure, because it wasn´t what they knew from other games.

On Silan there´s plenty to do, if only you stop thinking in the terms of "I´m stuck with being a Mage/Fighter/Digger now." Each races representative teaches you other things "about the life on Atys" and "living on Atys". Ryzoms gameplay isn´t mainly about reaching max. lvl in the shortest possible time, or being 1337 in PvP . It can be for sure, if YOU want it that way, but please let me assure you, that you´ll miss much of its depth and fascination. That which keeps people like me and many others coming back to the game and makes our characters "live" in the world of Atys.

On Silan and on the main continents, you can do whatever you want. And I don´t just mean gaining levels in some skill.

You can explore and find many truly remarkable things, you can while participating in Missions (Quests) learn things about the history of your people and the New Lands in general. As was said before, don´t focus too much on just ONE thing to do.

Because, of course this will get boring fast.

But when you do the switch to another skill, think of it in terms of how its complementing the other skills you´ll learn and allready have learned. Digging and hunting complement crafting and vice versa. Hunting complements the fighting and magic skills, which will make you more powerful in general.

People will very probably give you armor and weapons just to be helpful and friendly, but don´t count on it to be that way all the time. Learn to be independent, or at least to contribute to whichever Guild you´ll consider joining.

Ryzom is about teamplay and soloing, while possible, is a long and very hard road, and those who truly walk alone on Atys bark have my utmost respect. For they never let themselves be beaten by boredom and truly "worked with the system" in their own way. But that doesn´t mean people who join a guild are any less, mind you.

On Silan all trainers will explain things to you, read their texts carefully and try not to just skip though these explanations, like so many others do in WoW or where-ever else. If in trouble, don´t hesitate to ask for help or friendly advice in Universe Chat. People will probably rush to help you. Nobody will call you a "N00B" or say "STFU LTP!!11!", just ask and people will help you. And most of the time, even without any "catch" whatsoever.

Sure, some will always try to draft you into their Guild asap, but these are a minority and well, just don´t fall for it

Let yourself become a member of the community, try to participate and don´t stand there in the "usual" way of "me against everybody else." Just "live" on Atys, and don´t just rush through levels to be the king of the hill.

A word on harvesting: YES, it IS hard in the beginning.

But as you progress, you´ll learn to be more efficient and faster in your actions. Same goes for crafting.

Both systems do require quite a lot of "player skill" to be truly mastered. It´s not just the levels that make a "master" in Ryzom. Its what you can do with these levels, that distinguishes those who really understand the system and learned some things as a real person, as opposed to those who just let their characters learn the levels and wonder why they´re not as good as other players in some skills, players of the same level at that.

For example, some diggers manage to get all 30 pieces of a given material from a source. I still haven´t figured out how, despite me playing since release. I´m fiddling around with possible combinations of skills and stanzas whenever I´m in the mood, but haven´t quite managed to find the "secret" yet. And I have to admit, at the moment I´m a bit to proud to ask I want to find out by myself. I´ve been given hints by friends and I think I´m on the right track, but well... I still only get max. 18 or so. 

No automated system will do this for me, I myself will have to learn when to hit the right button and when to switch to the correct skill combination. Player skill, not just level.

To me digging in Ryzom is much like fishing in other games (or even RL that is). A relaxing and fun skill to do when getting home after a hard day of work. With the added bouns of getting something useful out of it and not just some decorative item.

Additionally I´m with the game since release and have only accumulated a total playtime of about 130 days and no 250 skill yet.

Some may call me lazy for that, but me I´m just enjoying the game and "living" it. I don´t like to rush things. And I´ll be all the more happy when I finally hit my first 250 sometime in the future for it. For me Ryzom isn´t about "gameing", it´s about "playing" and enjoying the world and the people in the game.

I hope that helped a bit.

Everybody makes their own fun in any game, some just don´t work like all others and have to be approached in a different way.

CU

SaM / Acridiel

good read,

im going to give this game a try

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Alright, then give it one last try.

Though, all things your character has learned can be seen InGame and the tooltips are pretty extensive and well done.

So there shouldn´t really be the need to "reroll". Just read up on things. You can find a skill list under the "b" key.

You can learn everything offered to you, there´s plenty of XP for that and lots of time. So in sense you can´t really "miss-Skill", or "gimp" a character. Just keep on learning things.

And like its been said before, Ryzom is a game that needs to be "understood" to be really liked.  If you don´t like it, well that´s ok

I don´t like WoW so I guess it equals out hehehe

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?

Maybe I did have different expectations coming into Ryzom, but as someone who dabbles in theorycrafting in other games and loves trying to figure out the best combinations of things and what goes with what, I thought Ryzom would be right up my ally.  But so far it just isn't fun.If I had all the time in the world I would just play a few hours a week and see if my interest gets piqued, but unfortunately I've only got 2 more weeks and then I have to pay.  This is actually probably not helping my mood on this game because I'm feeling a bit pressured to find out what makes this game tick, while still needing to spend time running with my guild in WoW - not to mention not pissing off my wife with too much time online.  =)That's not the game's fault.  3 weeks is more than generous.  I guess I'm just disappointed and I don't know if I'm disappointed in the game itself or my inabillity to grasp it.

Building your own stanzas (and upgrading existing ones) can be fun, but at first you don't have much to dabble with. For the first 20-30 levels, you have only a handful of "parts" to work with. After that, things start to become interesting.

Ryzom might not be the game for you, which doesn't mean that's your fault or problem. No one game will appeal to everyone, and Ryzom will definitely only appeal to a smaller subset of gamers. If you've given it a fair shot, but it's just not happening for you, then you shouldn't be frustrated. If the game doesn't click or isn't fun for you, then there shouldn't be any pressure to keep playing it. After all, it's just a game. Find a game or games you enjoy playing and have fun!

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

"You were hit by 8540 wall of text damage. You were killed by Acridiel" :D

You always surprise me. Seems I'm not the only crazy people living in Atys. :)

x Joarnaj:

I am also a vet of CoX, played almost from 2005 (euro release) to 2008, and enjoyed it a lot. At same time i played and still playing Ryzom (and, even if u don't believe, some other...). Now i'm playing only Ryzom.

You have just to think that Ryzom is different. Consider it more a virtual world, with game mechanics and history into.

Don't expect to get same things as in CoX or WoW. At same time, nothing is perfect, that's the reason why you can just move on.

Even being a true fan of Ryzom, i got my boring moments and, guess what, i just jumped in cox to refresh my gameplay and then, back to ryzom for more fun.

Take it as a different gaming experience. Don't think just the levels: go around and feel the living behaviour of the world, the changing seasons and the animals around that seems living their own life. All this is Ryzom, not just leveling some skill.

Of course we all do that, it's part of the game, but the most important things are learned thru personal experience, not just the levels.

Of course, any mmo, to be played well, need some time. I understand your feeling when you speak about your time needed in WoW, where you have your guild and things to do.

I started few weeks ago (well, restarted) a char in spellborn, as it is free now. I like that game, nothing exceptional, but a good feeling.... Well, despite i would play some more, every time i finish logging into Ryzom. So my spellborn char is just level 7 and i think will be hard for me to play there and advance faster.

So, in the end, try to see the game with a different view (maybe create a new trial account and jump fast in mainland, as Silan is just a tutorial area) and a different feeling in regard of other mmos.

But, of course, I understand it can be hard, expecially when friends on other mmos are calling.

EDIT: LOL, few minutes to answer Acridielìs post and.... are you all here in the forum, instead of play the game??? :p

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

Originally posted by Gilgameesh

"You were hit by 8540 wall of text damage. You were killed by Acridiel" :D
    You always surprise me. Seems I'm not the only crazy people living in Atys. :)

You don´t "have" to be crazy to enjoy Ryzom, but it helps

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?
  • MariannMariann Member Posts: 200
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

good read,
    im going to give this game a try

omg you read it all?

/tar SgtFrog

/bows in awe