Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Mods are Name Nazis?

I really don't even pay attention to Jumpgate's forums and I think the only time I was ever on them was when I registered, I briefly scrolled through them. Don't have a post to my name and I just did it for the beta access. Today, I received an email telling me that the name "PraetorianJC" violates their name rules and thus, my name was changed to "Pilot###." 

I am a history teacher and JC are obviously initials. Do they seriously troll their member list looking to harass people about NAMES!? The only thing I can see that I 'violated' is this rule: "N5. Names from popular culture, media, religious, or historical significance or origin."

Praetorian has historical significance in the Praetorian Guard of the Roman Empire. If we go back to its Latin roots, it comes from the use of the praetorium which was a commander's tent or the army headquarters in a fortress. Thus, anyone guarding it was the cohors praetoriae (think of them as "headquarter guards"). Almost every general from the end of the republic to formation of the empire had their own cohors praetoriae. This later became the Praetorian Guard (Praetoriani) under Emperor Augustus as he recruited the best from the various cohors praetoriae. Simply...the name means "guard."

Comments

• FortencFortenc Member Posts: 427

That sounds fairly retarded.  Hopefully it was just a mistake and they wouldn't knowingly be so foolish.

Objectivity is delivered with a lack of personality made for the mainstream but never used for the mainstream.

• LtJohnnyRicoLtJohnnyRico Member Posts: 214
    Originally posted by Fortenc

That sounds fairly retarded.  Hopefully it was just a mistake and they wouldn't knowingly be so foolish.

I hope not. They just need to look at what happened to "Face of Mankind" its first time around to see what happens when a MMO staff get to over bearing.

• andorovandorov Member Posts: 25

Sigh, the entitlement culture.

I'm not sure what your point is. They had a rule and you broke it. They were nice enough to actually change your name rather than delete your account completely.

Also, classy move on evoking the word Nazi and then equating it to getting your name changed on a company's forums.

• LtJohnnyRicoLtJohnnyRico Member Posts: 214
    Originally posted by andorov

I'm not sure what your point is. They had a rule and you broke it. They were nice enough to actually change your name rather than delete your account completely.

Also, classy move on evoking the word Nazi and then equating it to getting your name changed on a company's forums.

Entitlement? I am simply stating that they should put a little more intelligence behind their decisions. They deleted a name that is not even close to offensive and vaguely falls under one of their name rules, VERY vaguely. They can't even respond to my inquiry as to their reasoning.

And if they don't want to be called Nazis, they should stop acting like goosestepping fascists to people following the development of their game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Jumpgate Naming Policy

It is our intent to provide the universe of Jumpgate Evolution the most immersive yet empowering naming policy. This policy covers player character names, handles, guild names, and any other player entered content in regards to naming.

Phonetic spelling, purposeful misspelling, using numbers as letters, and using multiple words that produce violations are still violations. The following are specific violations.

N1. Vulgar, obscene, lewd, sexual, racist, hateful, or ethnic references or slurs.

N2. Any drug or drug paraphernalia references.

N3. Names created with the clear intent to harass, impersonate, or abuse other players, guilds, or staff.

N4. Names that are a part of the Jumpgate Evolution universe.

N5. Names from popular culture, media, religious, or historical significance or origin.

N6. Names must be pronounceable (No Xwrwjs32, Fsdfhsh). Such names may be removed.

Extreme type N1, N2 and N3 violations can result in suspension or termination of your System Account.

We reserve the right to change any name that we feel—in our sole discretion—violates the spirit of the game or the naming policy, with or without warning or consent.

Highlighted the key points for you.  Your chosen name clearly violated N6, perhaps stepped on N5, certainly isn't very immersive and as they said, their house, their rules.

And you really shouldn't get so worked up over something so trivial.

edit: and yes, I hate bad names in online games

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by LtJohnnyRico

I really don't even pay attention to Jumpgate's forums and I think the only time I was ever on them was when I registered, I briefly scrolled through them. Don't have a post to my name and I just did it for the beta access. Today, I received an email telling me that the name "PraetorianJC" violates their name rules and thus, my name was changed to "Pilot###." 
    I am a history teacher and JC are obviously initials. Do they seriously troll their member list looking to harass people about NAMES!? The only thing I can see that I 'violated' is this rule: "N5. Names from popular culture, media, religious, or historical significance or origin."
    Praetorian has historical significance in the Praetorian Guard of the Roman Empire. If we go back to its Latin roots, it comes from the use of the praetorium which was a commander's tent or the army headquarters in a fortress. Thus, anyone guarding it was the cohors praetoriae (think of them as "headquarter guards"). Almost every general from the end of the republic to formation of the empire had their own cohors praetoriae. This later became the Praetorian Guard (Praetoriani) under Emperor Augustus as he recruited the best from the various cohors praetoriae. Simply...the name means "guard."

Hey JC, JC you're alright by me

Sanna Hosanna

Hey Superstar!

They don't speak Latin but putting the initials of the Christian Messiah with Roman soldiers isn't something they want to see on their boards. They didn't get it and even if they did they'd still editi it because of all the complaints they would get from those who didn't

For my second post if the above was seriously the mentality for changing the mans name, mods just lost some serious face.....putting it as lightly as I can....

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Here is a great advertisement for home schooling.

• kriebloodkrieblood Member Posts: 223

Sanna Hosanna

Hey Superstar!

They don't speak Latin but putting the initials of the Christian Messiah with Roman soldiers isn't something they want to see on their boards. They didn't get it and even if they did they'd still editi it because of all the complaints they would get from those who didn't

Ignorance isn't an excuse for vandalism of my name.

The Praetorian Guard didn't kill Jesus and Jesus doesn't have the market cornered on those initials. It was likely Provincial Roman Auxiliaries that killed Jesus. In other words, local people working for the Romans and nothing even close to the Praetorians. That is not to say the Praetorians were saints. They did their fair share of dealing bad blood including smashing the heads of children into walls to prevent them from succeeding to the throne and killing their own masters on several occassions. But I digress....I want my name back =

There is 0 historical proof to even say Jesus existed only book that has ever recorded him in history is the Bible.

Everyday i wish the Crusades where the other way around.

(Hint hint: Im a Pagan)

P.S The games gonna suck anyways and they will be out a few million so they will get there lol.

Mortal Online/EarthRise/Project V13
    TheVindicators.com

Originally posted by krieblood

Sanna Hosanna

Hey Superstar!

The Praetorian Guard didn't kill Jesus and Jesus doesn't have the market cornered on those initials. It was likely Provincial Roman Auxiliaries that killed Jesus. In other words, local people working for the Romans and nothing even close to the Praetorians. That is not to say the Praetorians were saints. They did their fair share of dealing bad blood including smashing the heads of children into walls to prevent them from succeeding to the throne and killing their own masters on several occassions. But I digress....I want my name back =

There is 0 historical proof to even say Jesus existed only book that has ever recorded him in history is the Bible.

True? It seems most historians I've spoken to agree that physical evidence proving he existed is there. Not that I care mind you, Agnostic brotha

• kriebloodkrieblood Member Posts: 223
    Originally posted by SonikFlash

Sanna Hosanna

Hey Superstar!

True? It seems most historians I've spoken to agree that physical evidence proving he existed is there. Not that I care mind you, Agnostic brotha

I love how they say our DNA ties back to 2 people. LOL so we are all the product of incest huh Woot!!!

yeah i love the worlds belief system they all believe so blindly i makes me laugh.

Mortal Online/EarthRise/Project V13
    TheVindicators.com

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Sanna Hosanna

Hey Superstar!

I love how they say our DNA ties back to 2 people. LOL so we are all the product of incest huh Woot!!!

yeah i love the worlds belief system they all believe so blindly i makes me laugh.

After reading this im not so sure inbreeding is as far fetched as you seem to assert.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by andorov

Entitlement? I am simply stating that they should put a little more intelligence behind their decisions. They deleted a name that is not even close to offensive and vaguely falls under one of their name rules, VERY vaguely. They can't even respond to my inquiry as to their reasoning.

And if they don't want to be called Nazis, they should stop acting like goosestepping fascists to people following the development of their game.

You as you point out, a history teacher, degress to use words like name nazis. I can't see why I missed nor can I understand why you also picked up to call them "fascists".

It don't matter if you like their rules, if they neglected to give you a good explenation. Surely a well educated person like you should be able to look through that, well at least to the point to not start to call them nazists and fascists.

I'm not shure how you make up discipline/order in your classroom to be able to have good classes. But surely if you do it is ok to call you a nazi aswell. Or?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• helkorhelkor Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Sanna Hosanna

Hey Superstar!

After reading this im not so sure inbreeding is as far fetched as you seem to assert.

lolz

• EanokEanok Member Posts: 134

I really don't even pay attention to Jumpgate's forums ... Today, I received an email telling me that the name "PraetorianJC" violates their name rules and thus, my name was changed to "Pilot###." 
    I am a history teacher and JC are obviously initials.

Jumpgate Naming Policy

Names must be pronounceable (No Xwrwjs32, Fsdfhsh). Such names may be removed.

The name Praetorian would be OK I guess, but ...

praetorianqm

kmpraetorian

praetorianjc

...wouldn't be, just because they aren't pronounceable which according to their rules, are grounds to have the name removed. You were told that your name breaks their name rules, which it obviously does. So what is all this silliness about a name you don't use in a forum you don't plan to post? You sound more like my teen daughter than like a real teacher.

How old you say you are?

Played: UO, SWG, TR, WoW, AoC, EvE
    Playing: :(
    Interested in: JGE, LotR, TSW

If thats the real reason for this particular case I think forwarding half the names on the forums would just about tank that game.

• billiebillie Member UncommonPosts: 400

Sanna Hosanna
    Hey Superstar!

fyi
    1. Messiah is a JEW construct (refers to a future King of Yisrael from the Davidic line, who will rule the people of united tribes of Yisrael {Megillah 17b-18a, Taanit 8b} and herald the Messianic Age {Sotah 9a} of global peace.) Though the italian romans and later coward romans (eastern empire) displaced into byzantine Constantinople there can be little argument for their ONGOING hatred for jews. The byzantines hyjacked the jew religion and to spite Marcion fabricated their own "cannon" nt (new testament) and to give it status abridged it to the older jew Old Testament "SCRIPTURE."

2. The roman-latin bastardization of the JEW Messiah's name (Yeshua haMashiach, in hebrew) was Iesu from the bastardized greek version Iesous Christos. The jesus variant is the english protestant ongoing fraudulent misrepresentation of the 'Savior's Name.'

3. His JEW mother (Maryam) nor his brothers and sisters never EVER called Him jesus!

4. JC is a mixture of the english name jesus and the greek title christ, it is NOT latin.

5. AND more importantly Yeshua's version of Judiasm was know as "The Way" whereas 'christanity' is the religion hyjacked from the jews using the byzantine fabricated greek nt as the basis for 'scripture;' this even though more than half the dogma in the nt is from saul (aka paul) who was NEITHER a Disciple of Yeshua (not one of the 12) NOR Prophet from G.
    To misrepresent the junk from saul as "SCRIPTURE" and Authentic Teachings of Yeshua is evil through and through.

6. OP, a Praetor was an Army commander or an elected official; a Legatus was an emperor appointed senatorial to exercise command through; a Tribune 1 of 10 to convene legislature and introduce proposals; other titles: slave (servi), freedmen (liberti), freeborn (cives), patrician (patricii), plebeians (plebeius), proletari (no property citizens), peregrini (foreigner); military: Senator, Equestrian (mercantile knight), manipular heavy infantry (hastati, principes, triarii), auxilia (velites [light infantry] and equites [cavalry]) seven to twentyfive year service.

• RenkoRenko Member UncommonPosts: 97

You broke their naming rules, they changed your name, seems pretty fair to me.