Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extremely frustrated, need to vent

So I saw CO offered on steam for 50 euro with a free 30 days. A bit pricey, but what the hell I want to check it out. So I buy it off steam and I get the key. Okay.

I set up my account and enter my key on the CO website. It reads:

You are subscribed to:

* Champions Online Retail - Steam

With 30 free day

There is a "submit" button at the bottom, underneath the paid subscription options. I click submit but it returns an error that I need to select a monthly subscription or enter a gamecard. Hmm.

So I navigate back to my account page, and it shows I am not subscribed to anything. I am prompted with ENTER A KEY. Okay, enter my key. It takes me to the same page I was before... where the GUI reports I am subscribed immediately after I enter the key, but this is in fact not "remembered" by the web-server.

So I make a ticket. Wait. Wait. Wait.

I think to myself "maybe I will ask on the forums." I go to post... guess what... only subscribers can post!

My current theory is that I need to buy a subscription to redeem my "30 free day."

Comments

• WeaponXWeaponX Member Posts: 241

Yes thats what you need to do.

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Nipashnaka

So I saw CO offered on steam for 50 euro with a free 30 days. A bit pricey, but what the hell I want to check it out. So I buy it off steam and I get the key. Okay.
    I set up my account and enter my key on the CO website. It reads:
    You are subscribed to:
    * Champions Online Retail - Steam

With 30 free day

There is a "submit" button at the bottom, underneath the paid subscription options. I click submit but it returns an error that I need to select a monthly subscription or enter a gamecard. Hmm.
    So I navigate back to my account page, and it shows I am not subscribed to anything. I am prompted with ENTER A KEY. Okay, enter my key. It takes me to the same page I was before where the GUI reports I am subscribed immediately after I enter the key, but this is in fact not "remembered" by the web-server.
    So I make a ticket. Wait. Wait. Wait.
    I think to myself "maybe I will ask on the forums." I go to post... guess what... only subscribers can post!
    My current theory is that I need to buy a subscription to redeem my "30 free day."

Its probably asking you for your subscription like a 15$ a month subscription just in case your 30 days free lapses they need to set you up with your payment plan.

Thats probably all it is, they won't charge you unless you don't cancel within your 30 days.

Or ... at least I'm guessing thats what it is

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

yes, I had a similar issue with the 6 month subscription.  Basically it would error when I tried to set up the account to not bill after the 6 month period.

I think you need to subscribe to the game after putting in your key.  It will not bill you for the first 30 days.  So you have 30days to play before you need to UN-subscribe the game if you do not like it.

My suggestion is you do that at the 20 day mark and let your time run out if it is your intention. 

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

Originally posted by NovaKayne

yes, I had a similar issue with the 6 month subscription.  Basically it would error when I tried to set up the account to not bill after the 6 month period.

I think you need to subscribe to the game after putting in your key.  It will not bill you for the first 30 days.  So you have 30days to play before you need to UN-subscribe the game if you do not like it.

My suggestion is you do that at the 20 day mark and let your time run out if it is your intention. 

What I do in this situation is similar, but if I'm not sure about the game, I put the information in so I can start the game and cancel immediately... just so I don't go over and get billed if I happen to forget I'm subbed to the game.

Good luck to yah either way

• RaiblastRaiblast Member Posts: 49

This is standard in EVERY MMO that using a subscription fee. NONE of them will let you have your 30 free days until you set up a subscription plan. rather stupid, but i think the idea is that you forget to cancel and they weasel money out of you.

but what you do is you set up the plan then immediately cancel it once you know you got your free time. once your free time is enabled, they won't cancel it when you remove the subscription. or you could wait a few days if you're unsure.

it's...scary. very, very, very, scary...the world we live in...that's why i love the virtual world.

Originally posted by Raiblast

This is standard in EVERY MMO that using a subscription fee. NONE of them will let you have your 30 free days until you set up a subscription plan. rather stupid, but i think the idea is that you forget to cancel and they weasel money out of you.
    but what you do is you set up the plan then immediately cancel it once you know you got your free time. once your free time is enabled, they won't cancel it when you remove the subscription. or you could wait a few days if you're unsure.

HEY! I resemble that remark.

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891
    Originally posted by Raiblast

Its not stupid when those same people who cry about having to pick one get pissed off when their account is shut off at the end of the 30 days.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

It's been a year, but I seem to remember Warhammer working the same way.

It stinks, but it seems to be SOP.

Time to stop calling that 30 days 'free' isn't it?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

It's been a year, but I seem to remember Warhammer working the same way.
    It stinks, but it seems to be SOP.

Time to stop calling that 30 days 'free' isn't it?

ALL MMOS since the days of Everquest one and UO have worked this way.   Its still FREE since you can play it for NO sub for 30 days.  They only charge you if you stupidly forget to 'cancel'.  People making these huge stinks have obviously never gone out and bought an MMO before and have only gotten into MMOS via the free trials which Some dont require selecting and a plan and others do.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by banthis

Its not stupid when those same people who cry about having to pick one get pissed off when their account is shut off at the end of the 30 days.

Somehow, I doubt the publishers would make it very difficult to re-activate that account.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2