Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Next Generic WoW Clone.

noxxlenoxxle Member Posts: 119

Facts:

Level Cap is being increased.

Substantially lower number of skills.

No more PvP-Characters.

Persistent non-instanced world.

I predict this game flops after it comes out. Persistent worlds are costly both to develop and maintain.

Comments

• StormwatchStormwatch Member Posts: 86

Games, just like pretty much any other product are classified by different genres, to make it easier to talk about and make them (and it's human nature to categorize everything). The genre that is discussed on this portal is, obviously, massively multiplayer role-play games (short MMORPG). There is a standard MMORPG formula, just like there is a standard formula for Rock music etc. It is likely, that elements of the genre appear in every game that are part of that genre. If you want a game that has other characteristics, then try other multiplayer games, real-time simulations of whatever you like. The things you mention are pretty much the core idea of MMORPGs.

World of Warcraft abides all the conventional MMORPG rules that were invented long before Blizzard started working on WOW, they originate in text-based forerunners of MMORPGs called MUD, and that design WOW is using originates in the Diku-MUD. Diku-MUD heavily influenced EverQuest and EverQuest heavily influenced World of Warcraft. To be fair, there are some other design schools in the genre, which are commonly associated with Ultima Online but also go back to common MUD designs.

And interestingly, this 'other' school, sometimes called Sandbox-Style, sometimes referred to as «worldy» games are also part of the design of Guild Wars 2. It looks like they do it in a way, many MMO developers were dreaming of, but nobody could make it yet. Which is quite nice to see.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by noxxle
    Facts:
    No more PvP-Characters.

I predict this game flops after it comes out. Persistent worlds are costly both to develop and maintain.

There is nothing about what you said that is in any way representative of someone with rational thought.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Unless GW2 is a fucking masterpiece like GW1 I wont be playing. I refuse to support another themepark.

Making GW more like a regular MMO could be its downfall. GW1 was unique if GW2 isn't it's garbage.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• noxxlenoxxle Member Posts: 119

My point is that the more information that is revealed about GW 2, the more it strays from GW1 and sounds like a generic MMO. It costs a lot to develop and maintain a WoW clone. Part of GW 1's success was its low-maintenance cost. GW 2 sounds more and more like every other MMO in existence, which means it is going to cost a lot to maintain and continue to develop. Not good.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Facts:
    No more PvP-Characters.

Are you trolling? Well I know you are trolling because there will be PVP characters, it even says so in the Guild Wars 2 website FAQ.

Lower number of skills is a good thing, especially for balance. Look how many Monk skills that essentially do the same thing, do we really need that again?

The level cap means nothing, they already said that it won't have a substantial effect upon your character after a certain point. There is even a sidekick system so you can play with anybody at any level.

It is a persistent world but there will be instances for missions and such.

Did you read on how they changing the quest system up? Not really a wow clone there. The combat and skills system are quite unlike any other mmo either. Really you must try harder to troll.

Also Guild Wars 2 forum is here

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/996/General-Discussion.html

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Thanks for the predictable premature hatemongering.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Facts:
    No more PvP-Characters.

You don't have the slightest clue of what you're talking about so next time do some more reading before making a fool of yourself!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

1. Guild Wars 2 will have an event system. WOW does not. There will be no green arrows above npc's heads like WoW has.

2. Guild Wars 2 is mission based. Wow is quest/grind for levels based.

3. Guild Wars 2 will not be dependant on raids to get good gear. WoW is.

4. Guild War 2 has GVG, WoW does not.

5. Guild Wars 2 will have a sidekick system like COH, WoW does not.

6. Guild Wars 2 does not have cartoony like characters, WoW does.

This is just off the top of my head and Guild Wars 2 has yet to release all the features to the public. Sorry but Guild Wars 2 will be the complete opposite of what WoW is and that is a good thing.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Facts:
    No more PvP-Characters.

This game will be amazing. How can you call this a WoW clone just because of these few things? There is SO much that makes Guild Wars unique, you obvious have no idea. The poster above hit some good ones.

The REAL Facts: (in response to each of your "statements")

1) We don't know what the level cap will be or even if there will be one. In an earlier interview they said that it's possible there wont be a level cap. This leads me to believe that either way.. the leveling system and what that means for the character will be completely different WoW.

2) This helps balance. More skills can be added in expansions ect. Furthermore we don't know how lower the ammount of skills there will be. So you can't complain about that. There are tons of skills in Guild Wars that are a copy of another skill.

3) You don't know that. In fact in a recent interview it talked about PvP and stated that when they join a particular PvP you will have access to all the skills ect, just like creativing a PvP character.

4) All MMOs are persistent. For this reason, Guild Wars, to a lot of people, is not even considered an MMO. This has nothing to do with WoW and everything to do about what it means to be an MMO. Also there will be many instances used to tell the story through missions. So it's going to feel like Guild Wars only bigger.

I predict this game will be a success especially since it will be F2P. I also predict that you have no idea how much it costs to maintain a persistent world vs a game that is mostly instanced. And you posted this in the wrong thread.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

i juz wanna say

L O L

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

this thread almost makes me wanna make a new thread entitled 'noxxle, the next clueless wow fanboi'. If Guild Wars 2 is a WoW-clone, then The Sims is a RTS.

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Sounds like someone is discriminatory towards the Guild Wars series.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

OP is very funny.

GW a WoW clone, heh.

WoW fanboys sometimes astonish me with their ignorance and "WoW invented and trademarked all common RPG elements" mentality.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

HaHaHaHa.

There is a thread like this in every forum on this site. Where do these people come from?

Let's make this a constructive discussion. Honestly LESS skills will be better. GW only became unmanageble with the addition of new classes and skills from the expansion. IMHO GW GvG was at its most when we just had the 6 core classes.  I hope that skills will be PvP/PvE specific. In other words not all PvE skills end up in PvP.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209

This post should be in the GW2 board.

Aside from that, the only really valid argument is the increased level cap. I'm not fond of it, but at this moment we have no idea how the level cap will work. ANet of all companies should be able to pull off something that won't alienate the eixisting player base.

The lower skill argument doesn't have teeth given that there are something like 1.2k skills in GW. 300 skills would be considered "substantially less" but it still way more than normal MMOs offer.

The no more PvP characters is no skin off my nose since even my primary PvP chars started as PvE, but supposedly it'll be just as easy to PvP /w a PvE char as it is to create a PvP one.

Persistent world. Meh. They're doing away with quests alltogether, which as far as I'm concerned is a godsend. This may be the first true big-budget "sandbox MMO" in a while, which has been talked about alot in these boards.

EDIT:

Also a persistant world is not necessarily more expensive. If 30 people are spread out over 5 instances of the same zone, which has on average 200 mobs, servers not only have to account for 30 connections, but process the location and behaviour of 1000 different mobs within those instances.

Non instanced, 30 connections and 200 mobs. Easy.

I'm tired of GW1 instancing being considered a poorer second cousin to open worlds. It was a design decision. The devs used to to tell a better a story. GW1 happened to have been a no-sub game. The instancing was not a function of the lack of subscription fee.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Facts:
    Yet attributes are still capped at a low level.
    Less skills means more balance. That is a good thing.
    No more PvP-Characters.
    Because you can PvP from any level in The Mists.
    And WoW invented the persistent world? Lmao. And if you cared to do some more research, you'd notice ArenaNet have specifically stated that they have invented a method of hosting an MMO with a persistent world without exorbitant hosting costs coming into play.

Learn to research.

• esseesse Member Posts: 8

You! you who started this topic deserve to be flamed...

Ok... most ppl already told you most i have to say but look, WoW did NOT invent anything, WoW is a well done mix of components from dozens of mmos. But it is a useless grinding game (disagree all you want WoW lavers)

Guild Wars IS diferent and i belive it will remain diferent. For once i trust the team behind it and even if NCSoft would force them to change something to be more.. profitable it would never became like WoW (I mean WoW was built on the idea of making you waste time, wasting consequently money, with them) and for that they have completly raped an awesome universe like warcraft... sellouts.

SO GW won't be ever a WoW clone. If WoW is as bad as i said before, to call "clone" to GW who has done nothing but an awesome job is a blasphemy.

So you see, raising lvl cap is not necessarely a huge change, in GW1 we still get "lvls up" but it does not affect stats, only skill points, so this team will surely balance things out in GW2, no doubt about that. GW is about balance and skill.

I belive GW2 will be near perfect, taking the details you dont have in GW1 like some body animations, jumping or water exploring and bind them all together with the best of the first. I do trust Arena Net team unlike other sh*** companies.

• dynamo122dynamo122 Member Posts: 162

Don't feed the childr...trolls folks. The OP is clearly biased in their opinions.

• esseesse Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

1. Guild Wars 2 will have an event system. WOW does not. There will be no green arrows above npc's heads like WoW has.
    2. Guild Wars 2 is mission based. Wow is quest/grind for levels based.
    3. Guild Wars 2 will not be dependant on raids to get good gear. WoW is.
    4. Guild War 2 has GVG, WoW does not.
    5. Guild Wars 2 will have a sidekick system like COH, WoW does not.
    6. Guild Wars 2 does not have cartoony like characters, WoW does.
    This is just off the top of my head and Guild Wars 2 has yet to release all the features to the public. Sorry but Guild Wars 2 will be the complete opposite of what WoW is and that is a good thing.

well said.

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

Just remember - every game set in a fantasy setting is automatically a WOW clone.

I actually thought this was the worst attempt at calling a game a "WOW clone" for no good reason, but then I saw the "Champions Online is a WOW clone" thread. So unfortunately, this thread comes in second.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Unless GW2 is a fucking masterpiece like GW1 I wont be playing. I refuse to support another themepark.

Making GW more like a regular MMO could be its downfall. GW1 was unique if GW2 isn't it's garbage.

OH STFU!!!!!

You will be there even if it was.

You Know It

I Know It

Everybody On This Forum Know It

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Stormwatch

Games, just like pretty much any other product are classified by different genres, to make it easier to talk about and make them (and it's human nature to categorize everything). The genre that is discussed on this portal is, obviously, massively multiplayer role-play games (short MMORPG). There is a standard MMORPG formula, just like there is a standard formula for Rock music etc. It is likely, that elements of the genre appear in every game that are part of that genre. If you want a game that has other characteristics, then try other multiplayer games, real-time simulations of whatever you like. The things you mention are pretty much the core idea of MMORPGs.
    World of Warcraft abides all the conventional MMORPG rules that were invented long before Blizzard started working on WOW, they originate in text-based forerunners of MMORPGs called MUD, and that design WOW is using originates in the Diku-MUD. Diku-MUD heavily influenced EverQuest and EverQuest heavily influenced World of Warcraft. To be fair, there are some other design schools in the genre, which are commonly associated with Ultima Online but also go back to common MUD designs.
    And interestingly, this 'other' school, sometimes called Sandbox-Style, sometimes referred to as «worldy» games are also part of the design of Guild Wars 2. It looks like they do it in a way, many MMO developers were dreaming of, but nobody could make it yet. Which is quite nice to see.

What I wana know is, why so much hate towards things and Ideas that WoW has, to be added to GW2? As you said, most things that WoW has, were good ideas taken from other games. So why so much hated in the MMO comunity when somebody suggest such a thing?

I remember so much hate on the idea of Mounts in GW2. And all people would say is go back to WoW. Dam as if mounts are gamebreaking

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

What people don't seem to realise is that what makes World of Warcraft a "themepark" MMO is its quest system.

Guild Wars 2's quest system is TOTALLY different. I'm not sure if it's unique, but I've certainly never seen it. It takes public quests to a whole new level and doesn't force you to level by doing PvE.

• DaX.9DaX.9 Member Posts: 192

To the OP:

gw2 will be instanced, only open world will be ouside towns for regular quests, missions and dungeons will be still instanced.

gw2 level cap is as they said gonna be something that is not prime thing in gw and they are working on a way not to have level gap at all

gw2 will still be skill based, with just couple of skills you can equip in your bar and play. Different combinations will be required as in GW

So only thing they are gonna make different from GW is that we will be able to meet other people outside outposts, that we could choose between 4 races and that its setting is in future comparing to GW.

If this is WOW clone than GW1 is WOW clone and we all know that is not true.

• benmou13benmou13 Member Posts: 89

i actually do now believe blizzard developers are behind all these childish forum posts and that the design lead was a 6 year old 

Developer: Hey what do you want in an mmo

Design Lead: I WANT DRAGONS AND GREEN THINGS.

Developer: ok what about a story?

Design Lead: like humpty dumpty sat on a wall? hehe that was a funny story

Developer: Ok we've come to a decision we will have absolutely no story and considering this game is for 6 year olds who can whine to their parents about sub fee's we will make this mmo boring and but give lots of loot to keep the people happy.