Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mild venting -- 3-dot swarms on level 18 "solo" quests

WispyWispy Member UncommonPosts: 51

I've been loving VSOH to this point, playing a necro teamed with a druid friend in Qualia.  But if we've been cheerfully pressing through the game up until now, at level 18 we suddenly seem to have run off a cliff.  Ksaravi, Lizardmen, Chrysol Mines...even the solo quests are populated with three-dot mobs that come at least two at a time (barely survivable), often three at a time (deadly), and sometimes bringing four-dot mobs with them (yeah right).  Are we simply in the wrong place to play as a team of two, or does the game intend to make larger grouping mandatory that early in play?

Comments

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

You "should" be able to nail 2 3dot if they are in your level range. Check if there is something you can change in your approach to them.

But, yeah, you will encounter 3dots in the soloquests aswell, but they really should not feel unbeatable.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• WispyWispy Member UncommonPosts: 51

I think the shock is that everything is now suddenly 3-dot, where before it was a mix.  Maybe we just don't have the right class combo with our two glass cannons, but these are a lot more work to get through than we had up to now.  Is it like that from this point on?  I can see it getting tiresome fast.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Yes it is like that from this point on and no it isn't. You'll have some meh situations where you'll be thinking that those 3dots wasn't needed. And also asking yourself why is this group quest so easy.

There will be those normal 2 dot mobs soloquest aswell as the tougher soloquests that I assume you stumbled upon now.

I never played druid so I don't know really, but for me it sounds that you should be able to make a plan for success. But sorry I can't help you with that part.

I would guess that there is a good reward in your (solo)quest further down the road?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• pdk25pdk25 Member Posts: 115

Be sure to do the HL quests at Skrilien Point at your lvl range. Some awesome rewards to get. Just don`t get to annoyed getting the fire essence on the first of the quests. It`s easy to pull 5 of the 3 dot mobs. Honestly though, I soloed it with my Druid and my Necro. It just takes some careful body pulls.

The Necro and Druid combo could be really good. I can see where it will cause some difficulty though. It probably wouldn`t be the combo that I`d want. It`s all good though. Try to utilize the Druid root. If you see that you`re getting more than one mob, I`d cast root and snare as quickly as possible. In open areas, the Necro fear is just plain awesome. You both have wicked chain DOT`s and the Necro has insane killing power. The Druid also has that one really big nuke (Starfall I think). Just keep trying things out and I bet you`ll become a great team. It`ll just be tougher than haveing a Warrior / Cleric or Dreadknight / Disciple team.

You can practice some pulling techniques at Skrilien Point if you want (on the 1st HL quest there), just don`t be discouraged at first if you get a bunch of mobs. Just run if you do. Practice those body pulls :-)

Thanks for the advice...it never even occurred to us to try body pulls!  We'll give it a shot when we play again next week.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Wispy

Thanks for the advice...it never even occurred to us to try body pulls!  We'll give it a shot when we play again next week.

Also look at your spells.  I'm not sure if either of you have any agro reducers but those are really helpful.  My bard was able to single pull mobs easily in that area :) but he had an agro reducer. 

There is still lots of solo content in the game for sure.  But it is mixed up some with small group content which is about the limit for more outdoor stuff.  Then dungeons are really exclusively group content.

Also unlike EQ2 where body pulling totally rules, I haven't seen body pulling be any better in VG.  Once a mob agros on you no matter how you agro it anything near it will also agro.  It will even chain agro in dense areas.  At least this was the way it worked back when I played.  So I always pulled ranged and would be ready to run.  If mobs are close sometimes you need to plan to get two in order to not get a bunch :)  Ie let the roamer get on top of one and time your pull to get them both but nothing else as opposed to pulling the roamer or one the roamer is near that can chain to yet another.

---
    Ethion

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Wispy

I've been loving VSOH to this point, playing a necro teamed with a druid friend in Qualia.  But if we've been cheerfully pressing through the game up until now, at level 18 we suddenly seem to have run off a cliff.  Ksaravi, Lizardmen, Chrysol Mines...even the solo quests are populated with three-dot mobs that come at least two at a time (barely survivable), often three at a time (deadly), and sometimes bringing four-dot mobs with them (yeah right).  Are we simply in the wrong place to play as a team of two, or does the game intend to make larger grouping mandatory that early in play?

Not to be rude:-) i think the higher level you go,the more trouble you are going to have with that duo.Yes,it looks good on paper but it wont work in the long run.I think one of you should level up a tank, a Dread Knight would be my option and keep the druid. In a few more levels you will be ready for CS and TK, plus more hunters league quests  which you will need to group for anyway, plus epic mount quest on a duo team.

If you really want to duo and kick ass then i would get your friend to reroll a Bear Shammy and you a Dread Knight. The buffs the DK gets from the shammy are great plus you have real healing, levi and speed buffs plus pet to tank along side you.I two box with this team and it rocks,i have also two boxed with my DK and Disciple which is a great duo team as well but not very sensible if you are two boxing.

Disciple is a healer but he is also the most melee healer so he kicks ass alongside a tank,plus has some great buff he can put on the DK while still fighting and has a get out skill...Fake Death.

It's not to late to reroll.

PS..Kiting in small dungeon areas will be a  problem for both of you the higher level you go,the other combos can hold their own in tight underground or above ground dungeons.

Good Luck..

Billy is right to be honest. I mentioned that the Druid and Necro combo wasn`t the combo that I would use in my other post here, and the more I thought of it, I don`t think it will be effective at later lvl`s either. Both the Druid and the Necro kite kill, and sometimes kiting just isn`t a option. Billys suggestion of a Dreadknight / Bear Shaman is very good. My suggestion of a Dreadknight / Disciple is great also. My Paladin duos with a Bloodmage on occasions and that combo seems to work well too (although it seems awkward at times). There are 12 toon slots available so I`d just keep the Druid and Necro but start some new toons to play also. All of the classes are fun to play. Good luck to you Wispy.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Necros are getting their class revamp.  It's on test now and the necros seem thrilled.  I'd say stick with the necro.

I've never played a necro, but social mobs are gonna swarm when you spank one of their buddies.  Line of sight makes a big difference if you can try different angles... meaning aggro is much reduced if they are looking away.  Also, dot/FD pull should work, but I'm not sure when necros get their first FD.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Druid is fantastic in many duo combinations - he can be a decent healer, can aoe root, strong dots, decent slow debuffs, and heavy DPS. In addition, arguably he has the best buffs. He can do well with any tank class or even ranger, monk, disciple, cleric.

I think too that druid necro will hardly work. Necromancer by itself is definetly one of the weakest class for duo combinations.

For absolutely best combination, I would say Disciple + DK or Warrior. Disciple has a decent DPS, high survivability, can summon others, feign death, ressurect others, and can heal for a long time without spending any mana. Hence, he's ideal for longer fights and even three-four 4dotters inside a dungeon are doable. Disciple alone, can take two 4dotters at the same time at higher levels (when the game essentially gets a little easier - because your character just have tons of skills which increase utility and survivability).

REALITY CHECK

Just a little update, we're doing pretty well.  All it took really was getting our level 18 spells...and...getting out of Ksaravi Gulch.  :P  Now at level 22, three-dot dungeons aren't giving us too much trouble; it's the four-dot ones that are becoming a headache and a half!

As i and many have stated in this thread, your combo will work less and less the higher level you go.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Originally posted by billynomates

As i and many have stated in this thread, your combo will work less and less the higher level you go.

Haha, thats not true at all. Because as you get higher and higher level you begin to solo more and more. The more you know what to do in certain situations the less you rely on your partner.

Necro fear FTW. No matter how many adds you have fear is your best friend. I duo'd with my brother and we both played necros. We had 15+ monsters on us my pet took one his took another. Just kept fearing until they all were dead.

Trust me the higher your level, you will duo great with any class. Back before they increased the level cap, my DK was soloing level 52 6 dotters piece of cake. My ranger was kiting 6+ mobs all 4 dots level 46-50 no problem. You just gotta learn how to play your class well. So it doesnt even matter what classes you wanna duo with, every class works well with each other period.

Edit: I forgot to add a very simple and easy trick  if you're having issues with trying to split monsters up. Al you really have to do is aggro them snare or root one with necro or druid. Run ALL the other monsters out of their aggro range this will in turn make them run back to their spawn point. And VOILA the rooted/snared monster is still chasing or has aggro on you. Even if it runs off aggro range and is heading back to its spawn location, it should be singled out, all you have to do is re-tag it. 

I did this with my ranger back in Wardship of the Sleeping Moon zone/chunk. That was when my ranger was level 26. I was able to solo out ALL named mobs in that specific area and most of them were level 30-34 4 dot monsters. Piece of cake, although I have to say it only works in outdoors and not in dungeons UNLESS you cleared your area and the monsters in the dungeon have very small aggro range. But in which case you were at Ksavari Gulch or something which was in a crater of some sort if I could remember correctly, and should work out well. Try it out and enjoy 

Originally posted by csthao

Haha, thats not true at all. Because as you get higher and higher level you begin to solo more and more. The more you know what to do in certain situations the less you rely on your partner.

Necro fear FTW. No matter how many adds you have fear is your best friend. I duo'd with my brother and we both played necros. We had 15+ monsters on us my pet took one his took another. Just kept fearing until they all were dead.

Trust me the higher your level, you will duo great with any class. Back before they increased the level cap, my DK was soloing level 52 6 dotters piece of cake. My ranger was kiting 6+ mobs all 4 dots level 46-50 no problem. You just gotta learn how to play your class well. So it doesnt even matter what classes you wanna duo with, every class works well with each other period.

Edit: I forgot to add a very simple and easy trick  if you're having issues with trying to split monsters up. Al you really have to do is aggro them snare or root one with necro or druid. Run ALL the other monsters out of their aggro range this will in turn make them run back to their spawn point. And VOILA the rooted/snared monster is still chasing or has aggro on you. Even if it runs off aggro range and is heading back to its spawn location, it should be singled out, all you have to do is re-tag it. 

I did this with my ranger back in Wardship of the Sleeping Moon zone/chunk. That was when my ranger was level 26. I was able to solo out ALL named mobs in that specific area and most of them were level 30-34 4 dot monsters. Piece of cake, although I have to say it only works in outdoors and not in dungeons UNLESS you cleared your area and the monsters in the dungeon have very small aggro range. But in which case you were at Ksavari Gulch or something which was in a crater of some sort if I could remember correctly, and should work out well. Try it out and enjoy 

The higher you level the more you will solo? lol,i can't take you seriously with that comment. Go solo Raz or perhaps you can solo heg or perhaps you could even solo the BOD the lists goes on.

What sever are you on because i would really like to see you solo the content i have mentioned,perhaps you could kite them all ..lol.

As for your tagging trick. Anyone who plays VG should of figured this out within the first 10 level.

DK 53..Bard 51..Tuurgin Shammy 54..Disciple 55....

The higher you level the more you will solo? lol,i can't take you seriously with that comment. Go solo Raz or perhaps you can solo heg or perhaps you could even solo the BOD the lists goes on.

What sever are you on because i would really like to see you solo the content i have mentioned,perhaps you could kite them all ..lol.

As for your tagging trick. Anyone who plays VG should of figured this out within the first 10 level.

/Sigh you're talking about group content now. But to honestly say you cant solo Queen Vixxaeva and Lord Fal, you must be gimp and dont know how to play. Swamp of Rumug you cant kite those mobs? you're kidding right? Plenty of places you can solo and even more places you can duo. Heg can EASILY be done with 3 people. Raz can be duo'd peice of cake. TONS and TONS of places. With the gear they have out now, if you're still complaining about those places you should reroll the same class and learn to play em again. ANY outdoor chunk is a ranger's paradise period.

Originally posted by Triggger

/Sigh you're talking about group content now. But to honestly say you cant solo Queen Vixxaeva and Lord Fal, you must be gimp and dont know how to play. Swamp of Rumug you cant kite those mobs? you're kidding right? Plenty of places you can solo and even more places you can duo. Heg can EASILY be done with 3 people. Raz can be duo'd peice of cake. TONS and TONS of places. With the gear they have out now, if you're still complaining about those places you should reroll the same class and learn to play em again. ANY outdoor chunk is a ranger's paradise period.

/Sigh ..Did you actually read what he/she said or better still did you actually read any of post in these threads? People like you are the worst sort,making things up to win the day is just pathetic really. Yes you can solo Queen Vixxaeva and Lord Fal,he didn't say you couldn't did he?

Of corse there are plenty of places you can solo in Vanguard,that does not mean that VG get's more solo freindly the higher you level does it. Heg can be duoed but first you have to get to him and that will take more than a duo team to get past that mean bitch that guards the doorway to his palace.

Last i heard 3 does not mean solo does it,i though that solo means one player killing mobs by himself,again you have made up something that was not said.As for a ranger and necro kiting,well yes as long as their is space to kite,what happens when you are underground or in a dungeon that has no space to kite,i guess the necro and the ranger can tank the mob with the pet helping...hehe.

Before you make things up at least read what the person has said because making things up is just pathetic.

Answer..does VG get more solo frendly the higher level you get?

Who is the gimp...

You're joking right? Yes, maybe you should go back and read the posts. EVERY CLASS CAN DUO GOOD WITH ANY CLASS. That's what I'm pointing out. Dude up there says that his necro/druid combo works less and less as they progress in level and that's totally wrong. Put your glasses on jesus. And if you can duo heg the other 3 freaking bosses before him is gimp.

And yes VG IS solo friendly, only thing you can't do is raid as a soloist. If you're trying to rely on finding a group in a very low population game, soloing and duoing with a partner is all you need.

The higher level you get is when everyone is just wants to raid most of the time. And thats why I stated that you're going to be soloing a lot. Unless you're in a raiding guild.

/Sigh ..Did you actually read what he/she said or better still did you actually read any of post in these threads? People like you are the worst sort,making things up to win the day is just pathetic really. Yes you can solo Queen Vixxaeva and Lord Fal,he didn't say you couldn't did he?

Of corse there are plenty of places you can solo in Vanguard,that does not mean that VG get's more solo freindly the higher you level does it. Heg can be duoed but first you have to get to him and that will take more than a duo team to get past that mean bitch that guards the doorway to his palace.

Last i heard 3 does not mean solo does it,i though that solo means one player killing mobs by himself,again you have made up something that was not said.As for a ranger and necro kiting,well yes as long as their is space to kite,what happens when you are underground or in a dungeon that has no space to kite,i guess the necro and the ranger can tank the mob with the pet helping...hehe.

Before you make things up at least read what the person has said because making things up is just pathetic.

Answer..does VG get more solo frendly the higher level you get?

Who is the gimp...

You're joking right? Yes, maybe you should go back and read the posts. EVERY CLASS CAN DUO GOOD WITH ANY CLASS. That's what I'm pointing out. Dude up there says that his necro/druid combo works less and less as they progress in level and that's totally wrong. Put your glasses on jesus. And if you can duo heg the other 3 freaking bosses before him is gimp.

And yes VG IS solo friendly, only thing you can't do is raid as a soloist. If you're trying to rely on finding a group in a very low population game, soloing and duoing with a partner is all you need.

The higher level you get is when everyone is just wants to raid most of the time. And thats why I stated that you're going to be soloing a lot. Unless you're in a raiding guild.

Again your making up things that have not been said...

Who said that every class can't duo,please link where i said these words,you can't can you.The necro combo duo will not work AS good as a DK /Shammy duo or  Warrior/Cleric duo or a Pali/Disciple duo..do you see the trend here...Tank/Healer this is the best duo you can have in VG.

Having two kiter and cloth wearers is going to get you in sticky situations especially in places where you can't kite.

Who said VG is not solo friendly? again, can you quote where i have said this.

Let me put it another way,just so you can get it through your skull.

Will i be able to obtain the best gear in the game by soloing or duoing?   

So yes you can solo in VG but to get the best gear you will need a group or a raid,am i talking shit or are you full of it?

take you glasses off and stop sayiong thing that were never said..

Oh and i know all about VG population,having beebn playing the game since beta. Yes VG does have a low population and yes you will duo a lot but you cannot obtain the best gear in the game without raiding,it's as simple as that. So the higher you level towards the end game,the more you need to raid or group for the best gear..

LOL..some people are full of it....

Are you really serious? You really cant be that blind can you?

Just go look at what I quoted from billynomates.

I may be full of it. but you sir are "it" itself.

Why dont you go right on ahead and take your own advice. Go read the whole thread.

Ok guys. Enough already. There is no need to keep arguing. Just let it go. Listen, I bet that both of you are great players in game. You both probably have a lot more knowledge of the game than I do. I`m sure that you both have had some really great experiences in game and you both do know what you`re talking about. So, lets just let the issue go here (or just get back to the original issue anyways).

On the subject of duoing in the game, my Paladin has recently been grouping with a Druid. I thought this combo worked very good. The Druid "Lull" spell is just great for splitting pulls and the roots were real nice for controlling adds. The heals were decent as well. I`d still prefer a DK/Disciple combo but I do have some experience duoing with a Druid now.

I LOVE this game so far.