Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Global Agenda featured in interview

DavrynDavryn Member Posts: 39

I found this at Ten Ton Hammer today. Interview about indie MMO developers and it talks to the people from Global Agenda and EVE. It's a pretty good read:

LINK

Screenshots in the interview might be new? I've never seen them before, at least.

Comments

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

All I got from the article regarding GA is that they are privately funded.  GA devs want the game to be fun before they release and they have very little pressure to release when they don't want to.    

Now I just hope when they say they want to game to be "Fun" it will be fun to me long enough to warrent the purchase price.  Also, that it comes out some time in the near future.

*Waits for Zultan to proclaim it is the most enjoyable game even more then his week long sex filed romp with all the sport illustrated swimsuit models.*

• ZukanZukan Member Posts: 161

Am I Zultan, or is that someone else? :P

Lol correction  Zukan sorry.  

Have you had a change to play Global Agenda, tbox? You seem unconvinced the game is fun at all. :P

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

I may be way off on this, but I suspect that I have an idea of where Tbox is coming from on this issue. Feel free to correct me if I am way off on this, but here is how I feel about it:

I like a lot of things about the way Global Agenda is being developed. I like that its going to be PC only, I like that there will be no Micro-Transactions, I like that the website is very complete, detailed and informative, ect, ect, ect. Overall I just feel that the creators of this game are going the extra mile to show the proper respect to their potental future customers. In that way I feel that all other game developers could really learn something from the example being set by Global Agenda.

However, as for the game itself, I'm still very "meh" on the issue. It sounds okay, but it barely qualifys as an MMO, theres no "sandbox" elements to speak of and I have doubts if it will really hold my attention for very long. I don't think it will be a bad game per say, I just don't think an FPS will offer the gameplay elements that will keep hardcore gamers hooked one or two years down the road.

(Also, are we still considering CCP an "indie" developer? They have been around forever and are probably raking in the cash from EVE like there is no tommrow. They even bought out White Wolf and took over the entire "Vampire" thing. Not exactly what I describe as an "indie" anything.)

I am sure It will be fun I just don't know how long it will be fun for me personally.  I get bored with games that don't have a lot of depth.   Thats me tho. I am not representative of anyone other then myself.   I am more an MMO player then a counterstrike, halo, and ect person.   If they can bring the excitement of a good online fps game with the depth of a MMO then great but I have my doubts. I tend to look at the glass half empty.   I really liked guildwars but after a while I yearned for the open world. Guildwars was also great because of the skill system. A monk could be so completely different then another monk.  If anything Global Agenda needs to have a deep character skill/ability customization feature that corisponds to deep group play depth using complimentary abilities.  I am glad that pvp team size has increased to like 10 v 10.    I hope the game turns out to be great I really do but personally I may not enjoy it unless it can hold my attention for at least a month.   Some devs tend to fear having to make each class perfectly balanced so they try to keep the customized abilities  and options relatively low so they can balance them with more ease.  That point of view scares me.  If leveling and getting your character to up to par is relatively fast I don't think balancing is a huge issue because anyone can easily make the same class/abilities for their character while devs can slowly fix the over powered abilities.   More options  ways to kill/win a match is instrumental for me to personally enjoy a game.

I am not in beta so I have really no idea how Global Agenda is currently. 

Originally posted by Raltar

I may be way off on this, but I suspect that I have an idea of where Tbox is coming from on this issue. Feel free to correct me if I am way off on this, but here is how I feel about it:
    I like a lot of things about the way Global Agenda is being developed. I like that its going to be PC only, I like that there will be no Micro-Transactions, I like that the website is very complete, detailed and informative, ect, ect, ect. Overall I just feel that the creators of this game are going the extra mile to show the proper respect to their potental future customers. In that way I feel that all other game developers could really learn something from the example being set by Global Agenda.
    However, as for the game itself, I'm still very "meh" on the issue. It sounds okay, but it barely qualifys as an MMO, theres no "sandbox" elements to speak of and I have doubts if it will really hold my attention for very long. I don't think it will be a bad game per say, I just don't think an FPS will offer the gameplay elements that will keep hardcore gamers hooked one or two years down the road.

(Also, are we still considering CCP an "indie" developer? They have been around forever and are probably raking in the cash from EVE like there is no tommrow. They even bought out White Wolf and took over the entire "Vampire" thing. Not exactly what I describe as an "indie" anything.)

I agree it will be hard to keep players hooked. The game needs to be amazing and I think that is why the VP said it has to be "Sticky". Like such good istanced game play that it is in a league of its own.  It needs to be the DOTA of  3rd person Instanced mmo pvp and pve.  Now just look a why Dota is so great. 

I'm the same way tbox. I'm more of an MMO player. EverQuest 1 is what got me into gaming really, and I tend to stick to MMO's more than any other type.   I never liked Counter-Strike or similar shooter pvp games. and I still don't.

The two most important things to me in a game, in order for me to continue are:

1. Class design - there needs to be at least one class that I really like playing. EQ have the enchanter and necromancer. VanGuard had the Paladin, and AoC had the Guardian for me. I really like the Assault in global agenda, and I even like the recon and medic on occasion. All four classes have multiple ways of play.

2. Combat - Combat has to be interesting or fun in some manner or else I'll never level up and just call it quits. This sort of plays into the class design a bit. One thing I thought was really fun/cool in vanguard, were the chains you activated whenever you crit, it made it more than just hitting the normal spells and abilities, even though they're just an extra set of them.. it's fun having them pop up all of a sudden and you being all "OH sweet just in time!" Global Agenda being a shooter type, which requires you to aim yourself and switch weapons on the fly makes it very engaging and fun. It's very fluid as well, which otherwise would make it very frustrating....in which case I wouldn't be here promoting the game.

So what I'm basically saying is: Yes there is depth. heh. It's managed to hold me for a year now, even in early alpha. This coming from someone who gets fed up with usually head-shot kill games.

Originally posted by Zukan

I'm the same way tbox. I'm more of an MMO player. EverQuest 1 is what got me into gaming really, and I tend to stick to MMO's more than any other type.   I never liked Counter-Strike or similar shooter pvp games. and I still don't.

The two most important things to me in a game, in order for me to continue are:
    1. Class design - there needs to be at least one class that I really like playing. EQ have the enchanter and necromancer. VanGuard had the Paladin, and AoC had the Guardian for me. I really like the Assault in global agenda, and I even like the recon and medic on occasion. All four classes have multiple ways of play.

2. Combat - Combat has to be interesting or fun in some manner or else I'll never level up and just call it quits. This sort of plays into the class design a bit. One thing I thought was really fun/cool in vanguard, were the chains you activated whenever you crit, it made it more than just hitting the normal spells and abilities, even though they're just an extra set of them.. it's fun having them pop up all of a sudden and you being all "OH sweet just in time!" Global Agenda being a shooter type, which requires you to aim yourself and switch weapons on the fly makes it very engaging and fun. It's very fluid as well, which otherwise would make it very frustrating....in which case I wouldn't be here promoting the game.

So what I'm basically saying is: Yes there is depth. heh. It's managed to hold me for a year now, even in early alpha. This coming from someone who gets fed up with usually head-shot kill games.

Sounds promising  I can't wait to give it a shot.  I hope they have some type of  limited open beta.  A weekend or two would be sweet. 

I don't know how many of you are interested in this, but a bunch of groups came together (on the Global Agenda forums) and are holding a Blind Auction For Charity, winning bids will go to Child's Play.

Among many things, they have 10 beta keys there up for auction. BTW these keys are top priority, meaning you will get in if you have it. :)

Info on the auction: http://forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=6136&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Good luck to all.

• MrBonesMrBones Member Posts: 7

Cool stuff. GA forum community is pretty strong right now, which will only help the game's launch.