Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DCUO to be F2P

13»

Comments

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

That link that was given has no proof, they say they were given an impression that SOE was leaning towards the F2P model, but that hasnt been confirmed and I dont think it will be F2P because all past SOE MMO's have been subscription based, EQ I&II, Star Wars Galaxies, and any superhero MMOs that have come out, Champions Online, City of Heroes/Villains,  have also been Subscription, so if they go F2P it will be a shock to me. Honestly I prefer P2P games with no items that give anyone the upper hand in the item mall. I hate games where you can buy your gear or anything that gives you leverage over the other players. I dont want some daddy's boy to be better than me because I work for a living and cant spend hundreds of dollars on a game.

Mystery Bounty

• handheldhandheld Member UncommonPosts: 120

Lets not forget Sony has had huge success with there f2p model so its not entirely out of the question that it could be f2p possibly throwing in expansions at a price instead of free and giving some kind of ingame shop or something. I wouldnt mind that as long as they cant buy game breaking items or powerups i would be totally fine with that.

• pmreeb23pmreeb23 Member UncommonPosts: 65

The best way for DCUO is to go GW expac way with fluff item mall imo just look at sony's  playstation home its f2p type social mmo that sells clothing and the make tons of money and also the new clone wars mmo/free realms is prolly going to ps3 with clothing mall also.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Originally posted by pmreeb23

The best way for DCUO is to go GW expac way with fluff item mall imo just look at sony's  playstation home its f2p type social mmo that sells clothing and the make tons of money and also the new clone wars mmo/free realms is prolly going to ps3 with clothing mall also.

The best way to make money for a successful game isnt f2p with an item mall, its p2p, D&D Online only made more money because they were failing bad, all the current players kept paying $15 a month for the bonus stuff, plus some new ones pay it now and ppl buy from the item mall, but if a game wants to keep updates regular and admins on staff 24/7 they will be p2p. Think of it like this, they can either have 500,000 people playing and only 100,000 buying things or they can have 200,000 people playing and paying $15 a month to play, they make more profit off less people. I personally want it to be p2p, most of the best MMOs are, WoW, Aion, City of Heroes/Villains, EVE, FFXI. Yes there are games that have success being free, but not near what those have.

Mystery Bounty

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by MysteryB

Originally posted by pmreeb23

The best way to make money for a successful game isnt f2p with an item mall, its p2p, D&D Online only made more money because they were failing bad, all the current players kept paying $15 a month for the bonus stuff, plus some new ones pay it now and ppl buy from the item mall, but if a game wants to keep updates regular and admins on staff 24/7 they will be p2p. Think of it like this, they can either have 500,000 people playing and only 100,000 buying things or they can have 200,000 people playing and paying $15 a month to play, they make more profit off less people. I personally want it to be p2p, most of the best MMOs are, WoW, Aion, City of Heroes/Villains, EVE, FFXI. Yes there are games that have success being free, but not near what those have.

Thats becuase you don't understand idiots well enough.

I know people who have spent +$200 a month for 5 months trying to reach max level in f2p mmos and never even hit max leveled (mounts, assesories etc. its messed up).

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• spitfire1064spitfire1064 Member Posts: 61

Sweet