Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW, Aion and Old Republic

I love(d) WoW, especially vanilla, first addon was a setback, second addon was a tad better. the new expansion might make even make it fun again. at the moment the world and its lore keep me sticking with WoW, not the gameplay.... i've played Aion, i got in the chinese open beta. i began, the graphics were all over me, it looked great for an MMO! the combat was a tad slow at first, but thats normal, after a couple of hours it went a bit faster and certainly with more fun.  after playing it for several days it came to me that i really, really don't like the oriental look of it... everyone is skinny, the armor/weapons are huge and the background setting is so, oriental like... gives me the feelings its a cheap MMO....  thats why i ain't buying aion, but i got all my hopes set for  SW: the old republic, the gameplay looks awesome in my opinion :). i also had my hopes for jumpgate evo, but god knows when that game finally hits the shelves...

kinda curious what you guys think of WoW, aion and the old republic :)

best regards,

vladakov

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Got a problem with Square or why aren't you considering FFXIV at all?

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

sorry i put it in wrong discussion.....

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Got a problem with Square or why aren't you considering FFXIV at all?

Well as i said, i'm no big fan of the oriental type of MMO's, and well, final fantasy, euhm, speaks for itself :P

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422

I 'm also  not a fan of the graphical style of Aion.  In fact, I tend to shy away from Korean games in general, mostly because I don't care for the asthetics but also they tend to be grindy and geared toward the hardcore player who has six hours a day to devote to getting all the best gear and then griefing players ten levels lower.  But that's just my opinion.

I am very excited about TOR but since it will be a very long time before we see that game on store shelves, I try not to think about it too much. 

For now, I'm back with WOW.  It's like a case of herpes for me.  Just when I think I'm done with it for good, I start to get that itch again.  The new expansion looks like it could be the best yet.  One thing I've always thought would be awesome for Blizzard to do is to include a betrayal quest like they have in EQ2.  I would love to have a dwarf on the Horde side.  But that is purely wishful thinking.  I'm sure it would ruin the balance of the game somehow.

I never considered FFXIV to be oriental looking... it doesn't look like a Korean game at all imo :P 

As a matter of fact it's hard for me to tell what it does look like... have you seen screenshots of it? Does it really look like oriental game in them?

there's a sort of gameplay trailer :P 

I mean, in Korean games the characters tend to look like supermodels or something.. in XIV the characters look more 'normal', still not ugly though. 

But can't help it if it doesn't feel right to you, hopefully TOR will deliver :P 

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422

I never considered FFXIV to be oriental looking... it doesn't look like a Korean game at all imo :P 
    As a matter of fact it's hard for me to tell what it does look like... have you seen screenshots of it? Does it really look like oriental game in them?

Ya, it does look pretty asian in terms of graphical style, especially the character models.  Efeminate males, cutesy little creatures, sexy cat ladies.  All very common themes in modern asian art, games, anime, etc.  Nothing wrong with it, mind you, it's just not my thing.

not my thing either :), the only oriental game that i might also try is T.E.R.A. :o

but for now i'm longing for the old republic :)  (and perhaps jumpgate evo...)

• tisitisi Member Posts: 9

Hmm... I really don't know much about Old Republic, but I will admit that Aion plays very similarly to WoW, with modern graphics. If you use the WoW add-on Questhelper, all of that functionality is built into Aion.

So, basically it feels to me like NCSoft took a lot of the concepts and the play style of WoW and tried to update and improve on them. As for the Asian art style... there is enough character customization that you don't have to look anime-ish if you don't want to.

I suppose it matters more what genre you're interested in playing?

Originally posted by Dyrtt

Ya, it does look pretty asian in terms of graphical style, especially the character models.  Efeminate males, cutesy little creatures, sexy cat ladies.  All very common themes in modern asian art, games, anime, etc.  Nothing wrong with it, mind you, it's just not my thing.

I wonder what's up with the character model differences in terms of western/eastern art style anyway.

To me most often western characters tend to look a bit overdone with muscles and masculinity... and korean games have those feminine males that might as well be women if they got breast implants.

I find some kind of middleground with XIV.. I mean, if my looks were modeled to a game, that's what I'd expect to look like, not an Aion character nor a WoW character.

its not genre, its really the graphics and the style of the game, i don't see myself playing in such an environment for years :)

thats one of the reasons im looking forward to  SW: the old republic, it looks really neutral to me.  and jumpgate evo, well, it is neutral :P

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

That might be because FFXI and FFXIV are Japanese games.

Square-Enix, Square-Soft, Final Fantasy Series?

TOR males do look more neutral to me too, but they give me the kind of a western comic-look which I'd much rather trade for more realistic approach.

Also, Japanese is still oriental.. so one would think there are more similarities

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I'm going to give Aion an honest try, the art doesn't bother me, i like the asian style, but i am a little worried that time restraints due to real life will keep me from enjoying the game.

TOR is what I am waiting for, WoW is great just getting old, not cause of their changes, mostly cause of mine, you can't play something for four years and expect it to have the same appeal.

with the old republic male chars do look a tad comic-like, but i think the old republic is going through alot of graphical enhancement before it is released, at least i hope. :)

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

WoW is old and washed up for me now and ToR looks too pve focused for taste. I'm sure the star war fans will like it but its not my thing. I'll try Aion because its polished and fun from what I've seen and its very pvp focused which is what I like. I enjoyed the graphics because they were unique compared to other mmos I've played...the heavy gear is some the nicest looking armor I've seen in a mmo so far.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ya i betaed aion and in my view yes its a good game ,but its like all the other good game out there 

even often f2p .

its not worth spending money on .

Aion is polished, gotta admit that :P. i'm also waiting for the old republics PvP gameplay, i've played WoW for nearly 5 years and throughout that time i loved both PVP and PVE equally, so Aion might also be a bit too much pvp-centered for me :(

• NavydtNavydt Member Posts: 24

i have to agree with the OP. ive tryed almost every F2P game on the market and i just cant see my self spending a great deal of time in a game where i am one estrogen dose away from being a female. i really wish all the newer dev's would also steer away from the cartoony look. i like EQ1 char models the best, i know they were a bit square, but atleast i looked pretty sweet.

Originally posted by Ethian

I enjoyed the graphics because they were unique compared to other mmos I've played

You haven't played many MMO's have you.. o_0

i've played countless MMO's,   matrix online to  battlegrounds europe,    city of villains/heroes to lotr,  tabula rasa to WaR,

i've seen all (most of it) of the MMO genre to anno 2009, WoW !WAS! most fun for me, aion probably won't be...

Really, what I look forward to most in a new MMO is the originality- rest I can deal with.

WoW is fun for some time, but after a while it loses the 'new' feeling to it and it's not as fun anymore.. but, this happens for every game so it's only a matter of time when everyone is hit by the same feeling..

But the problem I have nowadays, is that I don't get the 'new' feeling out of MMO's.. it's just like I've played it all before, it feels too familiar. I don't mind getting lost with the controls, not knowing how to fight, having no idea where to go.. I think that's what makes the MMO good nowadays, as weird as it is.

More often than not when I first time log into a new MMO I think "oh this feels familiar, let's go out and kill some mobs by clicking on them and using skills"- resulting in me being bored after a while =P.

I had EXACTLY the same feeling when i was playing the Aion beta :), and   The Old Republic looks really unique in its own way... at least in my opinion